Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy gaming pc

• 09-11-2015 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    My son wants to get a gaming pc for Christmas. I can't build one I wouldn't have a clue.
    Would any of the ordinary pc's work for games, like the ones on steam?
    I have only got like 400-450 to spend.
    Which shop should I go to?
    Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Would you consider going second hand? You could get a great value PC for 500 if you shopped around. But youd need to have someone tell you what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aislingor

Xios wrote: »
    Would you consider going second hand? You could get a great value PC for 500 if you shopped around. But youd need to have someone tell you what to look for.

Yeah I would, there's a website called compu.zone and they have them for 200-300. They come with a years guarantee so they look ok. Thanks ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A gaming PC sold by a company for 200-300? I can assure you that they're junk and won't have a hope of playing new games. What are the specs of these 'gaming pcs'?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

These guys on Adverts seem to be offering about as much bang for buck as you'll get within your budget: http://www.adverts.ie/shops/pro-liner-tm/ I've never used them myself, just saw them after a quick look. The graphics cards they're using are all really low end though for what I would consider "gaming" grade.

A "gaming" pc is, in case you're not fully aware, the same as any other PC but with more high performance parts - most notably the graphics card that does all the heavy lifting when it comes to displaying things on the screen. That component alone is almost always the most expensive part of a PC that'll be used for gaming and the better ones will set you back €500.

Do you know what sorts of games he likes to play? Some are a lot more or less demanding than others, so we might be able to help steer you in the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

also with most gaming pc's you will need to buy additionally a monitor, keyboard and mouse and speakers/headset as they are usually a personal choice for gamers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Sorry hijacking this thread I'm in the same boat son wants a gaming pc as his laptop isn't good enough anymore. I'm trying my best to understand all the lingo but as far as building one myself not a hope!! Budget would be 600-700 games played are minecraft and battlefield etc what graphics card am I looking at and processor type..just go ogling away here getting a headache lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Minecraft wouldn't be a major issue, Battlefield can be though, it gives a machine a fair run for its money.

With a budget like that though, you should be in great shape for getting something together that ticks those boxes. The folks over on the PC Building & Upgrading Forum are great at putting things together on a budget and you might even have someone close by that could help with the building etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Shiminay wrote: »
    With a budget like that though, you should be in great shape for getting something together that ticks those boxes. The folks over on the PC Building & Upgrading Forum are great at putting things together on a budget and you might even have someone close by that could help with the building etc.

Self-build is good for an oul bonding sessions as well.

And a good way to get introduced into the tech - always a good thing for a young person to learn their way around hardware of any sort. It's a good skill to have as a consumer.

Should appreciate things when they're getting far more bang for their buck than they would be otherwise. Would be worth going into it if they're a bit lukewarm to the idea to start with (it can be a bit intimidating if you haven't a notion about what goes where).

You may be on the hook for fixing it when it breaks down though, but as a parent that's probably going to be the case regardless.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

i'd have to agree with Gbear. its a very good idea to get the parts and have someone build it with you. It will also give you/your son some insight into how to upgrade it in the future.

@aislingor & Skerries. Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse? These can eat up a big chunk of the budget on you. particularly the monitor.

Advertisement