Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    That Vine was already removed by the UFC, jesus their legal department is active!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

No point in rematch, Ronda would need to go back in a time machine and join a different team. Edmund was telling her after the first round that she was doing well! No cardio. Ronda's mum said he was a **** coach. Everything Ronda had to win she learned in her judo days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think my neighbours will be knocking on the door tomorrow after that! Struggling to put into words what I've just seen.

The thing is Holm had looked very, very average in her fights leading up to this one IMO. Even her striking, which was obviously labelled as her big strength given her background, didn't look up to all that much for me. But tonight was dramatically different. The game plan worked superbly and Ronda's was awful. Well done to Holly though she seems like a cracking girl and to be honest, I didn't like the non-glove touch from Ronda either.

It'll be really interesting to see how Holm progresses from here. She's proved me very wrong tonight but I'd genuinely still favour Tate to beat her if it's indeed her that gets the next shot.

Dana and Lorenzo have just watched a pile of millions go up in flames. They must be in bits backstage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rousey via Submission
    Don't why people think this is bad for UFC:

Instantly created a new star in Holly Holm.
    Ronda is now beatable, which makes her future fights more intriguing.
    The rematch will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Rondas mom wasn't at the fight?

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    Ronda can't box. She doesn't know that she can use her legs to strike people, her cardio was horrendous because she's overly confident and her Judo ended up being useless.

It's over, she's done, she'll retire and go make a few movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Rousey via Decision
    Ronda can't box. She doesn't know that she can use her legs to strike people, her cardio was horrendous because she's overly confident and her Judo ended up being useless.

what a silly statement

Don't why people think this is bad for UFC:

Instantly created a new star in Holly Holm.
    Ronda is now beatable, which makes her future fights more intriguing.
    The rematch will be huge.

No harm, but Holm nor Joanna will ever reach the heights of Ronda imo.

In terms of mainstream celebrity at least.

I agree that it's good for womens MMA though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    I could be wrong because i'm no MMA expert but why is everyone so shocked? Holmes is a several division former boxing champion, standing up she surely always had advantages on Rousey.

Because most people expected Ronda to recognaise that advantage and dedicate the whole fight to the takedowm, instead of thinking she could set up anything strikes

I cannot believe Ronda continued the same strategy in the second round.

Was she concussed from the first or are her corner useless? or is she that stubborn....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Holm via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Rousey via Decision

It's well known see doesn't train legs kicks at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rousey via Submission
    newbbieb wrote: »
    I dunno i think its a hard sell unless they make up a story that Ronda was injured.Ronda loses that fight every time almost imo.

Maybe for hardcore fans, but I think for casual fans (particularly the ones who only watch UFC for Ronda) the story of Ronda looking for revenge will work. She can say she underestimated Holly Holm or whatever.

Rousey via Decision
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    I cannot believe Ronda continued the same strategy in the second round.

Was she concussed from the first or are her corner useless? or is she that stubborn....

Her coach told her to keep pushing forward, his advice was terrible, he pointed out what she was doing wrong but didn't tell her how to avoid it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    No point in rematch, Ronda would need to go back in a time machine and join a different team. Edmund was telling her after the first round that she was doing well! No cardio. Ronda's mum said he was a **** coach. Everything Ronda had to win she learned in her judo days.

Before the fight Dana has been saying that Ronda would take a break after this fight and prob come back for UFC 200 which is next July. Ronda's had 3 fights this year and 2 last year so she prob does need a break.

Will she go for a rematch I dunno but waiting until next July for a rematch is too long.

Also anyone else notice the lack of celebration/happiness from Dana when he was in the ring :pac:

Rousey via Decision
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    It's well known see doesn't train legs kicks at all.

That's idiocy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Wasn't she saying stuff about taking a break and stuff recently? She looked at sea totally tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    Rondas mom wasn't at the fight?

Ariel Helwani was saying after the weigh ins yesterday that he noticed all of Ronda's crew there bar her Mam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rousey via Decision
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ariel Helwani was saying after the weigh ins yesterday that he noticed all of Ronda's crew there bar her Mam.

Most likely because of her comments about Ronda's trainer, Edmond.

After round 1, telling her she did great. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rousey via Decision
    Nuthugger3 wrote: »
    Her headkicks are overrated (Holms).

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

just one instance of the clowning that went on.

https://streamable.com/qxyl

Holm via Submission
    Keno wrote: »
    Most likely because of her comments about Ronda's trainer, Edmond.

After round 1, telling her she did great. :rolleyes:

He earned his 0$ there anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Rousey via Decision
    what a silly statement

She has been talking about retiring in 2 or 3 fights for ages now, she was being built up to retire undefeated at 200 in July, now that that's gone there's nothing left for her besides another whopping if she wants a rematch. She was completely out classed. She can make easy money acting, she'd be stupid not to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Rousey via Decision
    Un-bel-eevable. Delighted for Holm, seemed like a very likeable character and a bloody emphatic finish. I went for a piss and missed the finish. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Two favourite moments, Ronda swinging wildly and Holly ducking out from under. Holly taking down Ronda as if to say 'Look I can do it too'. :)

Also you'll notice Holm sits near her opponent looking concerned after tko whereas Ronda struts around gloating.

Rousey via Decision
    She has been talking about retiring in 2 or 3 fights for ages now, she was being built up to retire undefeated at 200 in July, now that that's gone there's nothing left for her besides another whopping if she wants a rematch. She was completely out classed. She can make easy money acting, she'd be stupid not to take it.

I forgot about how elite fighters love not trying to avenge a loss, especially to retire on one, good point......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Rousey via Decision
    Dana great to see put back in his box "Rousey is the best sportsperson of all time across any sports ever" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Holm via Submission
    Holm rocked, that was awesome

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Holm via Submission
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Two favourite moments, Ronda swinging wildly and Holly ducking out from under. Holly taking down Ronda as if to say 'Look I can do it too'. :)

I thought the crowd ended up on Holm's side for the fight, there were a few moments where they seemed noticeably up for her

Can't sleep after that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Holm via Submission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I have strange feelings right now. Always respected Ronda but she always make me want to see her get beaten. Not shaking hands, hero worship by celebs and joe and thinking she was great at boxing, petulance etc

She clearly believed or was made to believe by Edmund that her boxing was better than Holms.She was like a lunatic trying to prove it by chasing her and swinging for the fences.She seemed to have loads on her plate with movies and trouble with her mam and trainer.

Too eager to prove she could box when she should just use her judo effectively.

I thought Holm had the tools to beat her but still thought Ronda would negate them by getting a judo trip and sub.

She needs a new trainer and back to basics approach. maybe too much other stuff going on in her life.

I am glad she got beaten but also a bit sad somehow! Strange ! She seemed to believe her own hype. She is amazing but it is hard to live up to that ideal that everyone has her.

Joe Rogan seemed to jump ship in the first round lamenting her boxing skills and now all the knives come out for her. She made a lot of this herself and I am glad but I don't want to be gloating either as her skills are great.

Its weird. Delighted for Holly as she seems very nice and disciplined but sad for Ronda too as she seemed to be all over the place

Rousey via Decision
    Can't sleep after that one.

Haha no chance :p Wish I was on Boards for that moment :( I missed everything. I thought Ronda would step up after losing the round therefore safe to miss the start of round 2 for a piss :( :P

• Advertisement

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Before the fight you made the comment below. To then go and list all her flaws and suggest she should just retire is just silly. Who knows what she will do but it would be premature to just go writing her off over her first loss when she has been the most dominant female MMA fighter ever.
    Watching this Holm promo piece and all these guys trying to talk her up.

The girl is a great striker, she's a world champion boxer and kickboxer, but Ronda will have her flipped on her head and tapping within the first round.

Rousey via Decision
    Evans the only pundit to know mma :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rousey via Decision
    lTJcxZV.gif

Right, that's it. I'm off to bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Rousey via Decision
    That was a truly amazing performance from Holly, well deserved win, she really outclassed Ronda, The Reign of Rousey is now over as she's been beaten and beaten easily,

Looking forward to the press conference now, Dana and crew will be devastated backstage, they will really be relying on Conor to beat Aldo now to keep at least one money train going strong lol.

Delighted for Holly, Ronda is like a child in a playground, didn't even touch gloves, Holly was never mean to her at all leading up to this fight, and her antics at the weigh in yesterday now shows that she was worried and trying to bully Holly which failed big time.

She obviously got it into her head that she needs to hate someone to fight. Another fail.

Rematch would be pointless because I can't see her doing any better the next time. Here's to our new Bantamweight Champion #HollyHolm.

I have strange feelings right now. Always respected Ronda but she always make me want to see her get beaten. Not shaking hands, hero worship by celebs and joe and thinking she was great at boxing, petulance etc

She clearly believed or was made to believe by Edmund that her boxing was better than Holms.She was like a lunatic trying to prove it by chasing her and swinging for the fences.She seemed to have loads on her plate with movies and trouble with her mam and trainer.

Too eager to prove she could box when she should just use her judo effectively.

I thought Holm had the tools to beat her but still thought Ronda would negate them by getting a judo trip and sub.

She needs a new trainer and back to basics approach. maybe too much other stuff going on in her life.

I am glad she got beaten but also a bit sad somehow! Strange ! She seemed to believe her own hype. She is amazing but it is hard to live up to that ideal that everyone has her.

Joe Rogan seemed to jump ship in the first round lamenting her boxing skills and now all the knives come out for her. She made a lot of this herself and I am glad but I don't want to be gloating either as her skills are great.

Its weird. Delighted for Holly as she seems very nice and disciplined but sad for Ronda too as she seemed to be all over the place

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Can't wait for the rematch already!!!!

• Advertisement

Holm via Submission
    Evans the only pundit to know mma :pac:

I thought he picked Honda :pac:

Keno wrote: »

Right, that's it. I'm off to bed!

Goodnight Fists of Fury :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

By the way Official attendance was 56,214. I thought it was going to more

Crowd were very poor throughout the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Holm via Submission
    Mayweather is probably counting this as his 50th :)

Rousey via Decision
    Axwell wrote: »
    Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Before the fight you made the comment below. To then go and list all her flaws and suggest she should just retire is just silly. Who knows what she will do but it would be premature to just go writing her off over her first loss when she has been the most dominant female MMA fighter ever.

Like everyone besides herself and her team, I didn't think Holm had a chance because like everyone else besides herself and her team I thought her previous fights didn't show anything worth giving a chance to. The bookies agreed with me as did pretty much everybody on the thread.

Until now Rousey's flaws were negated because (a) besides Tate there was nobody who could even give her a fight a (b) she used her strengths to overcome the flaws.

Tonight Holm proved everyone wrong and in doing so laid bare the reality that Rousey's flaws weren't as small an issue as we'd all believed, she just hadn't fought a world class striker who also happened to train with Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn. Holm's takedown defence and strength in the clinch meant that Rousey's Judo, which normally hid her flaws, was almost completely negated.

You could give Rousey 2 rematches and Holm will win them both because she's a more rounded fighter.

Rousey via Decision
    gzoladz wrote: »
    Mayweather is probably counting this as his 50th :)

I was going to say Browne is probably being a bit rough at home, but decided against it

Like everyone besides herself and her team, I didn't think Holm had a chance because like everyone else besides herself and her team I thought her previous fights didn't show anything worth giving a chance to. The bookies agreed with me as did pretty much everybody on the thread.

Until now Rousey's flaws were negated because (a) besides Tate there was nobody who could even give her a fight a (b) she used her strengths to overcome the flaws.

Tonight Holm proved everyone wrong and in doing so laid bare the reality that Rousey's flaws weren't as small an issue as we'd all believed, she just hadn't fought a world class striker who also happened to train with Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn. Holm's takedown defence and strength in the clinch meant that Rousey's Judo, which normally hid her flaws, was almost completely negated.

You could give Rousey 2 rematches and Holm will win them both because she's a more rounded fighter.

Wait, are you actually suggesting she retire after her first ever defeat?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Rousey via Decision
    By the way Official attendance was 56,214. I thought it was going to more

Crowd were very poor throughout the night

Does that mean that GSP vs Sera II is still the highest attendance?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Rousey via Decision
    Touch of class from holly embracing ronda afterwards. You can be guaranteed if rousey won she would have blanked holly at the end. classless lowlife at the best of times she is.

Im more thrilled that ronda lost as opposed to holly winning tbh. due mainly to the fact of the complete hype overkill that we have been fed the last few months. i'd love to see a rematch.

also, just to be clear, I don't think she was planning on retiring at 200.

She was planning on taking a break after 193 UNTIL 200, so that she was missed and fans weren't sick of her face.

Dana said tonight he expected another 5-6 fights from her before she calls it a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement