Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ronda is great at her style, I hope she shows up to the conference, I'd worry about her state of mind at the moment she had a long way to fall.

Who will be able to give Holm a challenge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    Wait, are you actually suggesting she retire after her first ever defeat?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What's the point in carrying on? She was already talking about retiring. She fights a rematch and gets beaten again and then what? That just hurts her brand even more.

Unless she decided to change coach, which she won't, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Holm via Submission
    126003-karate-kid-mr-miyagi-smiling-g-N4UQ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Press conference live now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Rousey off to the hospital which is pretty standard when you get KO'd so no press conference for her.

No ronda at conferencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

By the way Official attendance was 56,214. I thought it was going to more

Crowd were very poor throughout the night

The really made a balls of ticketing in my opinion, For a decent seat it was 300ish dollars and for the nosebleeds it was 100 dollars. Crazy for a stadium fight which a lot of bamdwagoners wouldnt get on. The fight is on a Sunday afternoon here with a lot of lads I know going at 11am for a beer and to watch to fight it's hard to really get going. It was a bit surreal at that time of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Rousey via Decision
    Rousey to hospital....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rousey via Submission
    Dana White looks like he's about to cry in the press conference. Real downer mood like someone died.

Ronda was transported to hospital, not at the press conference.

• Advertisement

Rousey via Submission
    "It changes a lot of things that we were working on, the Cyborg fight". Sounds like they have to cancel a lot of plans.

Dana White looks like he's about to cry in the press conference. Real downer mood like someone died.

Ronda was transported to hospital, not at the press conference.

He sounds gutted.

He appreciates that it's the fight game, in all his experience of shocks and upsets...he is still stunned. Amazing.

I'm nearly surprised Dana turned up in this state :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Rousey via Decision
    Joanna face looking bruised, shows the war she was in that her face is the least damaged

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Like everyone besides herself and her team, I didn't think Holm had a chance because like everyone else besides herself and her team I thought her previous fights didn't show anything worth giving a chance to. The bookies agreed with me as did pretty much everybody on the thread.

Until now Rousey's flaws were negated because (a) besides Tate there was nobody who could even give her a fight a (b) she used her strengths to overcome the flaws.

Tonight Holm proved everyone wrong and in doing so laid bare the reality that Rousey's flaws weren't as small an issue as we'd all believed, she just hadn't fought a world class striker who also happened to train with Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn. Holm's takedown defence and strength in the clinch meant that Rousey's Judo, which normally hid her flaws, was almost completely negated.

You could give Rousey 2 rematches and Holm will win them both because she's a more rounded fighter.

You are just proving what I said, hindsight is 20/20. But as I said who knows what Ronda will do. She might take a break for a few months and come back looking for a rematch, the UFC will obviously want that to happen. Whether she wins or not thats to wait and find out but lets not forget who we are talking about here, shes the most dominant female in MMA and up until tonight was undefeated. Shes unlikely to want to just walk away from the sport after all that success having a single loss and not knowing if there was a rematch could she turn it around. Claiming shes done and should just retire is a silly response at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Holm via Submission
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    also, just to be clear, I don't think she was planning on retiring at 200.

She was planning on taking a break after 193 UNTIL 200, so that she was missed and fans weren't sick of her face.

Dana said tonight he expected another 5-6 fights from her before she calls it a day.

Might not recognise her face :pac:

Why does Ronda's career all of a sudden feel like that of a child moviestar?

Holly still being humble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    Holly Holm is humility personified right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Holm via Submission
    Joanna face looking bruised, shows the war she was in that her face is the least damaged

Yeah she looks a lot worse than I expected, Valerie did some damage, think Johanna said she thinks her hand might be broken as well.

Holm via Submission
    ****also: what is up with the jokers who do the poll AFTER the fight, lol......................notice higher numbers picking Holly for the KO in the last 30 mins ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    She was completely out classed.

She was, but that was down to performance and gameplan, not ability or potential

"It changes a lot of things that we were working on, the Cyborg fight". Sounds like they have to cancel a lot of plans.

No doubt.

Won't somebody please think of the money??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Holly Holm is humility personified right now.

That def came across in the post fight conference. She is very likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Holm via Submission
    Amazingfun wrote: »
    ****also: what is up with the jokers who do the poll AFTER the fight, lol......................notice higher numbers picking Holly for the KO in the last 30 mins ;)

wouldn't want to be wrong would i?

Holm via Submission
    Better clip here :)

Rousey via Submission
    I think it's silly to rule Ronda out of a rematch. She needs to get better coaching and go back to her Judo ways and she has a good chance of winning. Instead she tried to outbox Holly Holm either to prove something or because of bad advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rousey via Decision
    The whole lead up to this fight has really turned me off Ronda. I hope to see Ronda KO'd unconscious in the most embarrassing fashion possible. Wont happen tho, feck sake.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Never been so happy to see someone get what was coming to them. A classless person was finally (FINALLY!!!!) taught the lesson she deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just watched the fight and have to say, I really like the way Holly carried herself during and after the fight. I think that even if the KO hadn't happened Holly may have won. She had Ronda rattled after the first and looked to be easily inflicting damage.

Looking forward to a rematch but Rousey would want to seriously reassess her tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Rousey looked unfit. Bound to be some excuse. She got destroyed, it was embarrassing. She's lucky it only went two rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

is there somewhere i can watch this without downloading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

is there somewhere i can watch this without downloading it?

If you're on Facebook there are fight pages showing the whole fight

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    Keno wrote: »
    If Ronda loses I'll change my Boards name to "Cathal Pendred's Fists of Fury" for a month.

Done yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Holm via Submission
    People who voted for holms, shall we go somewhere else??

Muhahaha

Rousey via Decision
    Here's my thinking. And I'm not just making excuses for Ronda by the way, I think she's an ass and I'm glad she lost.

But.....

Did Ronda get beat by her own massive ego?

If she had done what she did in her early fights, charge in and close the distance, takedown/throw and then straight for the armbar, would she have succeeded?

But she's been determined to prove that she is a complete martial artist, and she's not.

When I was predicting this fight I said that Ronda would stand and bang, but if she was getting tagged she would still have the time to go to plan B. The problem is that she was getting tagged, good and proper, but still refused to go back to plan B apart from a few half hearted attempts at getting Holm down after she was already battered.

My point is, everyone is now saying that Holm wins this every time no matter how many rematches. I'm not so sure. If Ronda goes straight after the takedown and submission I still think she may succeed.

I'll be very interested to see how she handles this loss. Much has been said of McGregor, in that his huge ego wouldn't be able to handle a loss. But he has already lost in his career, albeit a long time ago.

Ronda didn't stay for the post fight interview, nor show up for the presser. Dana said it was because her lip was badly split and she was taken to the hospital. Sounds like BS to me. Fair enough if they want to transport her because of the KO, but the post fight interview? She was a bit busted up but compare her face to Jon Jones after the Gustaffson fight. His lip was hanging half off and he still did his interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

So many people here that completely wrote off Hollys chances right before the fight - are now the same people scrambling to find reasons why the result was always going to have happened... I don't understand that level of hypocrisy and turn coating. Are they even aware of doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Holm via Submission
    My thoughts too... What would have happened if she didn't try to box a boxer...?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Here's my thinking. And I'm not just making excuses for Ronda by the way, I think she's an ass and I'm glad she lost.

But.....

Did Ronda get beat by her own massive ego?

If she had done what she did in her early fights, charge in and close the distance, takedown/throw and then straight for the armbar, would she have succeeded?

But she's been determined to prove that she is a complete martial artist, and she's not.

When I was predicting this fight I said that Ronda would stand and bang, but if she was getting tagged she would still have the time to go to plan B. The problem is that she was getting tagged, good and proper, but still refused to go back to plan B apart from a few half hearted attempts at getting Holm down after she was already battered.

My point is, everyone is now saying that Holm wins this every time no matter how many rematches. I'm not so sure. If Ronda goes straight after the takedown and submission I still think she may succeed.

I'll be very interested to see how she handles this loss. Much has been said of McGregor, in that his huge ego wouldn't be able to handle a loss. But he has already lost in his career, albeit a long time ago.

Ronda didn't stay for the post fight interview, nor show up for the presser. Dana said it was because her lip was badly split and she was taken to the hospital. Sounds like BS to me. Fair enough if they want to transport her because of the KO, but the post fight interview? She was a bit busted up but compare her face to Jon Jones after the Gustaffson fight. His lip was hanging half off and he still did his interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

To be fair she did try to take her down a few times and had no luck.

I think it's good for the sport, mainly womens MMA, Ronda was described as this unbeatable force but she had massive gaps in her game. Whenever she clinched or landed big punches (with awful technique) she had to walk to punches. No head movement or guile at all to it. She's a powerful athlete, great judoka and has a great armbar but listening to Joe Rogan talk about her boxing made me cringe to no end.

Rousey via Decision
    To be fair she did try to take her down a few times and had no luck.

I think it's good for the sport, mainly womens MMA, Ronda was described as this unbeatable force but she had massive gaps in her game. Whenever she clinched or landed big punches (with awful technique) she had to walk to punches. No head movement or guile at all to it. She's a powerful athlete, great judoka and has a great armbar but listening to Joe Rogan talk about her boxing made me cringe to no end.

Maybe I'm too tired, (got up at 6 to watch this and working since half 8) but I don't think she went for any takedowns until late in the first? It was certainly after she had been caught repeatedly and wobbled by which time her goose was cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Mellor wrote: »
    She was, but that was down to performance and gameplan, not ability or potential

Don't really agree, she's an elite boxer/kickboxer who tore her to shreds in the standup - she 100% ****s all over Ronda in terms of their ability standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Holm via Submission
    Holy cowwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Holm via Submission
    Just woke up, will I even bother watching rousey kicking Holms ass.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    Oh My Gaaaawwd. Congrats to Hollly, what a spectacular performance! Beaming for her!!

**** tim kennedy for calling her boring on twitter after the win.

Holm via Submission
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Just woke up, will I even bother watching rousey kicking Holms ass.?

:pac: yes, it's worth your while

Holm via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Oh My Gaaaawwd. Congrats to Hollly, what a spectacular performance! Beaming for her!!

**** tim kennedy for calling her boring on twitter after the win.

What's wrong with that nut? oh and he's a "nazi hunter" now :rolleyes:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/after-hunting-hitler-tim-kennedy-may-never-return-to-mma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission
    I thought Rousey would win, but I'm delighted that Holm won.

She was superior in every department. Well deserved.

I wouldn't bet against Holm, next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

So just watched it

Holy sh1t

That is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Rousey via Decision
    Oh man cant believe i missed this! Looks like the wheels well and truly off the hype train now. Watched the replay just now, rousey looked terrible, so sloppy. Holm executed her gameplan perfectly and made rousey look very one dimensional. Very happy with this, rousey is a classless brat, no touch gloves either before the fight.

Also hilarious watching dana in the post fight presser, looked his dog just died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Holm via Submission
    Cyborg is looking for Ronda "drowsey " rousey @ 140lb. Might happen now that she lost belt. Maybe cyborg @ UFC 200 ? Then retire. Tate v Holm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission
    I'm no fighting expert, but even my untrained eye could see the massive gulf in stand up, between Rousey and Holm.

Rouseys boxing looked like a beginner, by comparison.

For the rematch, ufc 200 I guess or earlier, I don't see how she can close that distance in class. So her only hope is that armbar move. But Holm seemed to have an answer for that too. If Holm can neutralise that, I don't see where a rousey win comes from.

Last night blew me away!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    One of those rare times I am absolutely delighted to be proved wrong :)

Rousey via Decision
    It was good to see Holm able to unleash a bit. She's been so tentative in her UFC bouts so far but that was probably because everyone was so tentative in their approach. Not everyone is daft enough to plough in like a lunatic.

Here's a thought though.

Holm vs Tate? Tate isn't as good as Rousey, but she's probably smarter in terms of game plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement