Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I'm not surprised Rhonda lost she seemed off on all the interviews I seen before the fight like she thought she just had to turn up and win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Happy to see her lose she was so cockey. Now we will see what she is made of will this make her stronger or break her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    She'll still be on the cover of the game

2lo5el1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just caught up with it now. I was always in the Rhonda camp but when she didn't touch gloves at the start I decided then that I wanted her to be beaten.
    Kinda shocked to see her beaten so comprehensively though. I think because she was actually out cold they had to take her to hospital immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Holm via Submission
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    look at dana so dissapointed cant even hide it
    smilerf wrote: »
    Ding Dong the witch is dead. Dana's face is pure magic

well I found it hilarious the puss on dana wrapping that belt around holly :D

rematch goes the same way
    delighted for holly, just a nice girl all round, dont often shout against ronda but I did for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ronda for Wrestlemania 32 to get her hype back up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    I just caught up with it now. I was always in the Rhonda camp but when she didn't touch glo

Well I was firmly in the Rousey camp too, but I'm disappointed to see her lose.

But she was beaten from the bell, she was made look silly at times.

Regarding the touching gloves, a fighter is under no obligation to touch gloves and Rousey is a Judoka too ~ in Judo you're not allowed a handshake or anything like that before a fight. You can do it afterwards but not before.

Maybe it should be the same in the UFC, it cuts out this crap.

A rematch, tbh after what I've seen its going to require some work and re-thinking to close that gap.

Ronda looked awful, looked unfit and looked to have thrown her Judo skills out the window for this one.. Very poor.

Holmes seems like a nice chic, I wish her well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

How did this fight end? Knockout, Sub or decision?

Delighted she lost anyway, I think the hype around her was getting out of control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

ComfortKid wrote: »
    How did this fight end? Knockout, Sub or decision?

Delighted she lost anyway, I think the hype around her was getting out of control

She was knockout out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

but listening to Joe Rogan talk about her boxing made me cringe to no end.

I have to disagree here, Joe Rogan is one of the best, if in fact, not, the best, pundits out there today.

He is not just the best pundit of UFC PPVs, he is probably one of the top five best MMA summarisers out there. Period.

Of all time.

We are not just witnessing the high watermark of needless superlatives from Joe.

But it is an honour to be around to be able to call that waste nitrogen as he exhales it and it passes through his vocal chords and out his gob to form syllables of the English language which we can all decipher through our thick heads in order to conform to an idea that we are witnessing history.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Pudsy33 wrote:
    She was knockout out

Excellent. Poor Dana must be devestated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rousey via Decision
    How did this fight end?

Like this...

Holly-Holm-Ronda-Rousey-_0013.jpg

Holly-Holm-Ronda-Rousey-_0015.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    "Only" 56,412 at the event last night which is just 490 more than the previous record in Toronto. I'm sure the UFC will be disappointed with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Excellent. Poor Dana must be devestated

Just seen an interview with him there he looked devastated about the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Holm via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    Cyborg sticking in the boot

https://twitter.com/criscyborg/status/665831930974175236

Rousey via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    "Only" 56,412 at the event last night which is just 490 more than the previous record in Toronto. I'm sure the UFC will be disappointed with that.

The pricing was a bit daft from what I hear, and the venue itself seemed poor. Every time they showed a wide shot to see the size of the crowd the Octagon was incredibly small in the middle. I don't remember the Toronto stadium event being that bad.

Rousey via Decision
    No bonus for James Moontasri is baffling. Is there any sort of set criteria for the UFC when handing out these awards or is it just down to their discretion each event? I know that Villante and Hunt will feel aggrieved not to get anything too, but some weeks you see 4 or 5 get paid, others you see 1 or 2 so I guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    No bonus for James Moontasri is baffling. Is there any sort of set criteria for the UFC when handing out these awards or is it just down to their discretion each event? I know that Villante and Hunt will feel aggrieved not to get anything too, but some weeks you see 4 or 5 get paid, others you see 1 or 2 so I guess not.

I'd say most people get sorted in the back my Dana and Lorenzo.

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision

There's always a fight of the night bonus ($50k per fighter) and 2 performance of the night which replaced KO of the night and sub of the night.

The UFC have a bad habit of giving the FOTN bonus to the main event though. Rousey vs Holm was good, but at the end of the day it was a one sided beatdown. There are other fights that should have got in there.

That said, I'm glad that Holm will get an extra $100k. I'm sure Ronda is getting millions including a PPV cut whereas Holm only makes $50k including win bonus (that's what she made for her first 2 anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    There's always a fight of the night bonus ($50k per fighter) and 2 performance of the night which replaced KO of the night and sub of the night.

The UFC have a bad habit of giving the FOTN bonus to the main event though. Rousey vs Holm was good, but at the end of the day it was a one sided beatdown. There are other fights that should have got in there.

That said, I'm glad that Holm will get an extra $100k. I'm sure Ronda is getting millions including a PPV cut whereas Holm only makes $50k including win bonus (that's what she made for her first 2 anyway).

That's a shame, if correct.

Rousey via Decision
    My point is, everyone is now saying that Holm wins this every time no matter how many rematches. I'm not so sure.

I agree. I think it could well be a Velasquez v Dos Santos 2 type situation, although obviously with a greater discrepancy between the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Rousey via Decision
    Saipanne wrote: »
    That's a shame, if correct.

Yeah but the look on Dana's face as he disgustfully put the belt around her waist...

Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rousey via Decision
    Love seeing dana unhappy. I say his underpants where full of ****e after that first round. I say he was sad when he went home and jumped into bed with mcgregor.

Anyway delighted for holm she seems a humble girl and the complete opposite of rounda who i strongly dislike. She talks way too much ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    If Conor beats Aldo after last night his place will be cemented as the biggest star in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Oh My Gaaaawwd. Congrats to Hollly, what a spectacular performance! Beaming for her!!

**** tim kennedy for calling her boring on twitter after the win.
    Amazingfun wrote: »
    What's wrong with that nut? oh and he's a "nazi hunter" now :rolleyes:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/after-hunting-hitler-tim-kennedy-may-never-return-to-mma

Aren't Holm and Kennedy team-mates under the exact same coaches? I think he was possibly just kidding!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rousey via Decision
    Catching up now. My God, what a performance from Holm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Holm via Submission
    I felt Holms last kick....ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Holm via Submission
    People saying she tried to box! She didn't, she tried to close the distance and failed as holms footwork and range was simply far superior.

Her tactics weren't wrong she just met a better fighter.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    Wow 26% of people called it correctly in the poll :P

Rousey via Decision
    Relevant.

Rousey via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Aren't Holm and Kennedy team-mates under the exact same coaches? I think he was possibly just kidding!!!

Aaaahhhh okay, my dislike for Timmmaaayyyy got the better of me :)

Still beaming for Holly.

I'm a big fan of Joanna but was very annoying how UFC/Joe building her up as THE best striker in the UFC and she just isn't. That SW div is still fairly open and shes not unbeatable as the UFC say she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Bit miffed at the hatred for Rousey because she talks so much ****, is a brat etc and then the applauding for McGregor who is the same if not worse in another thread.
    Great win for Holm, didn't see it happening.

Rousey via Decision
    How slow was Herb with the stoppage by the way? :eek:

I reckon he wanted to make sure he couldn't be accused of stopping it too early and having a doubt on the result. I think he jumped in at the perfect time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rousey via Decision
    Wow 26% of people called it correctly in the poll :P

False I noticed 17 people called that prior to fight it only jumped to 44 people when result known some strange individuals

Rousey via Decision
    seannash wrote: »
    Bit miffed at the hatred for Rousey because she talks so much ****, is a brat etc and then the applauding for McGregor who is the same if not worse in another thread.

Shes a horrible person. Cant stand her double standards and self-entitlement. Delighted she got knocked back down to size.

Rousey via Decision

Thought that too. Three solid head punches after the kick that laid Ronda out.

Holm via Submission

My only gripe is her hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

Rousey via Submission

One big difference is Conor is always gracious after a fight while Ronda tells her knocked out opponent 'don't cry bitch'. They are not the same.

ricero wrote: »
    Shes a horrible person. Cant stand her double standards and self-entitlement. Delighted she got knocked back down to size.

Not saying she is a nice person but it seems the traits that draw hatred towards her draw praise to McGregor.
    If that sort of behaviour causes you to hate a person it should surely mean anybody who exhibits that behaviour would also be subject to hatred.
    Doesn't appear to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Would Holly not get some sort of PPV cut seeing as she's headlining such a big card? I know it was all about Ronda and normally it's just the champs who get a cut, but I remember after 189 people were saying Mendes would've got a small cut, and him a late replacement. I suppose we won't know for definite.

Regardless, assuming there's a rematch, that will be built up as a huge event and as champ Holm would have to be well paid for that.

Holm via Submission
    Not saying she is a nice person but it seems the traits that draw hatred towards her draw praise to McGregor.
    If that sort of behaviour causes you to hate a person it should surely mean anybody who exhibits that behaviour would also be subject to hatred.

I am cocky in prediction. I am confident in preparation. But I am always humble in victory or defeat.

McGregor ticks all three boxes. Does Ronda?

Rousey via Decision

Mcgregor is always gracious and respectable after a victory unlike ronda. Again its mostly her double standards over domestic abuse that really annoys me

Rousey via Decision
    Personally I would think that the majority of Conor's showmanship is spoof. He enjoys getting under his opponent's skin. Partly for his own entertainment, partly because of the impact it has on his bank balance and partly because it is a weapon because of how it affects the other fighter.

Ronda seems to genuinely be a spoilt bratty cow.

That's why I'm so curious to see how this defeat affects her in the future. I think that despite all the show, McGregor is a lot more grounded in reality and would take the loss and come back. I'd say this will be a lot more difficulty for Ronda to come back from, psychologically speaking.

Saipanne wrote: »
    I am cocky in prediction. I am confident in preparation. But I am always humble in victory or defeat.

McGregor ticks all three boxes. Does Ronda?
    So as long as McGregor is gracious in victory or defeat everything that comes before is okay.( and I know the common response will be he's a showman,selling the fight etc.)

Holm via Submission
    So as long as McGregor is gracious in victory or defeat everything that comes before is okay.( and I know the common response will be he's a showman,selling the fight etc.)

Yes, though there is always a line I suppose. It's prize fighting, so a bit of trash talk is fine. But after you've defeated someone, the least you could do is not be a cünt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Holm via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Holm via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    Conor is Irish is the only difference.

Nope. If McGregor acted the bollox to mendes as he went over to congratulate McGregor, I would have lost all respect for him.

My point is really REALLY simple, and yet people are failing to grasp it.

Rousey is a hypocrite on the issue of domestic abuse. Conor is not.

Rousey is ungracious after fights. Conor is not.

That's why I don't like her. Diagrams provided, on request.

Advertisement