Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yes, though there is always a line I suppose. It's prize fighting, so a bit of trash talk is fine. But after you've defeated someone, the least you could do is not be a cünt about it.

I agree that there is a line and it seems like we celebrate when he crosses it (grabbing the belt)
    Completely agree with not being a **** in victory, maybe extend that to before and after.
    Anyway not to derail the thread, Rhonda is a great fighter for her division and Holm proved herself to be a better one on this occasion. Rousey looked gassed after the first round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    Danny Martinez very respectfully calling out Neil Seery in his post-fight interview. That'd be an extremely winnable fight for Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

darced wrote: »
    Conor is Irish is the only difference.

Wouldnt agree with this entirely but its definitely a factor for alot of people giving him a pass.
    Not tarring every person with this statement. Some have given reasons for their disliking of her which make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey via Submission
    Had a very late one last night and only got the chance to see it now.

I am never, ever going out again if there's a big fight on. I've learned my lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Delighted to see Rousey lose, Holm was brilliant and I hope she can keep the belt for a while.

Also there's nothing better to see Dana unhappy, it's grand favouring some fighters but cant stand that he and the UFC are so obvious about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rousey via Decision
    That's why I don't like her. Diagrams provided, on request.

Diagram please. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    False I noticed 17 people called that prior to fight it only jumped to 44 people when result known some strange individuals
    What? No, I don't believe the good people of this forum would do something like that, that would be really weird :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Diagram please. :cool:

formula1.jpg

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Did anyone watch the BJJ Scout breakdown before the fight? I watched it last night and as soon I saw Holm circling and then Ronda throwing wild hooks, you knew she was beatable.

Fair play to Holm as she won in the best possible way - executed the perfect gameplan, and even when in the clinch or in danger of armbar, she got back to where she needed to be. I was impressed that she prevented Ronda from getting her top leg under her head when she was threatening with that armbar. Then she ends up taking Ronda down, then knocks her out cold.

Afterward, she waits to see if RR is ok before celebrating. Pure class. I am a Holm fan for life after that performance.

Surprised that not many people are mentioning Ronda taking a swing long after the bell in round one. Whatever about not touching gloves or creating false drama at the weigh in, that's most low-class thing she's done so far imo. Herb Dean in between, both had disengaged then takes the cheap shot. Seems to have been swept under the carpet after the subsequent events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Rousey via Submission
    Great shoop thread on sherdog. Anyone know what the strawberry references are about?

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    formula1.jpg

:)

That's a statement, not a diagram.

I want a full diagram, stick figures and all. :D

Holm via Submission
    That's a statement, not a diagram.

I want a full diagram, stick figures and all. :D

Ah, come on! I did well!

:-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rousey via Decision
    CT1iaSvWEAAgvjf.jpg:large

Rousey via Decision
    I find all this "greatest upset in the history of the sport" BS highly disrespectful to Holm by the way.

Not even close to GSP vs Serra. One of the most dominant champions in the sport losing in the first round to a guy with a 9-4 record who won his title shot on a TV show.

Rousey via Decision
    Kazooie wrote: »
    Great shoop thread on sherdog. Anyone know what the strawberry references are about?
    http://s28.postimg.org/vrzaz540d/1447572563198.jpg

That thread is great, mean but its hard to have sympathy for RR at the moment

Rousey via Decision
    Dammit, now I'm spamming

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Dana must be devastated. So glad Rousey has been beaten, extremely shocked though. Genuinely expected her to walk this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Holm via Submission
    God I freaking love Holm Holly. I was a fan before this fight, I'm a huge fan now.

Ronda has thrown herself to the dogs with all the crap she's pulled over the last week. She probably would have gotten away with it too if she had won. I struggle to see her coming back from this. The only way it'll happen is if she drops Edmond, changes her attitude and wins the title back right away. Even then she's probably lost a lot of that aura that the casual masses were following her for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Holy shít. Just catching up now. I can not recall a title fight where the challenger has made a dominant champion look so average.

Insane. Absolutely insane.

• Advertisement

Dana sounded so down in the post fight conference.

Holm via Submission
    I guess it's easy to be dominant when you're shooting beer bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah what will this do to Ronda's career? I think it's definitely going to hurt her out of UFC career anyway. Why would Ring magazine want Rousey as their cover now?

Hearing a lot of people say Dana has lost his cash cow, do you think a lot of people have now lost interest in her? If she doesn't win the rematch her PPV buys will definitely plummet.

Rousey via Submission
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Holy shít. Just catching up now. I can not recall a title fight where the challenger has made a dominant champion look so average.

What about Barao? TJ made him look ordinary twice. Granted he wasn't a dominant champion as he only defended the belt three times, but certainly a dominant fighter who at the time hadn't lost in 9 years! My reaction to when he lost wasn't too different to the one I had seeing Rousey beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

She'll become a lot less significant after this but maybe all her media appearances have caused her to take her eye off the ball. There is no doubt that there will be a rematch but Rousey has lost a lot of fans after yesterday. If you can't back up your mouth then nobody is going to believe in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    What about Barao? TJ made him look ordinary twice. Granted he wasn't a dominant champion as he only defended the belt three times, but certainly a dominant fighter who at the time hadn't lost in 9 years! My reaction to when he lost wasn't too different to the one I had seeing Rousey beaten.

Would also argue a case for RDA thrashing of Pettis, was fairly jaw dropping.

Holm via Submission
    Hopefully dominant champions being wooped continues this year!

Rousey via Submission
    ASOT wrote: »

Agreed. Forgot about that one. Velasquez getting finished by JDS was shocking too at the time, but he probably would've won that fight healthy.

martyos121 wrote: »

True but Ronda was a flawless champion who looked to have zero holes in her game and she looked like a deer in headlights.

For someone who ran through everybody the amount of times she's done it, it's more shocking than Barao losing imo.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »

Mad that Pettis lost just after signing a big contract with Wheaties cereal.
    Ronda loses after becoming the first face on the new UFC game.

Aldo set to be the face of a product anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I find all this "greatest upset in the history of the sport" BS highly disrespectful to Holm by the way.

Not even close to GSP vs Serra. One of the most dominant champions in the sport losing in the first round to a guy with a 9-4 record who won his title shot on a TV show.

The fact that GSP went on to be so dominant after winning back the title makes it a bigger upset looking back.

If Ronda does go on to win the rematch and go undefeated for the rest of her career ala GSP then it will be looked back on as a massive upset

But I do agree with you that it was seriously disrespectful to Holm

Rousey via Decision
    True but Ronda was a flawless champion who looked to have zero holes in her game and she looked like a deer in headlights.

I wouldn't say that she looked like she had zero holes in her game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holm via Submission
    Any word from Ronda?

I wouldn't say that she looked like she had zero holes in her game.

Obviously her stand up is severely lacking as was shown last night. But to be fair, the way she's run through opponents hid a lot of those flaws.

She's at a Pendred level of striking it seems. I can only imagine the tedious backlash her mam will have with her coach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Holm via Submission
    Yeah what will this do to Ronda's career? I think it's definitely going to hurt her out of UFC career anyway. Why would Ring magazine want Rousey as their cover now?

Hearing a lot of people say Dana has lost his cash cow, do you think a lot of people have now lost interest in her? If she doesn't win the rematch her PPV buys will definitely plummet.

Ronda's PPV buys will drop hugely just after this. That 1 loss on her record is going to cost her serious money. People want their female champions to be confident and dominate. Just look at Strawweight. No one gave a hell about Carla Esparza but now everyone loves Joanna because she's far more dominant and confident as a result.

Unlike McGregor, Ronda has nothing to give without the belt. So many people looked at her as a female role model. They'll just look to Holm for that now.

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Any word from Ronda?

FUUUUUUUUUUU*********KKKKKKKK would be one I'd say.

Dana is so sour in his post fight conference. Like he couldn't wait to get out of it. This is good for the women's bantamweight division though.

It's pretty competitive outside of Rousey and the fact that she was beaten means more competition for places.

I think I'm right in saying that Dana mentioned that Ronda would be taking a break until at least UFC 200. In the meantime, a fight between Holm and Tate would be compelling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    Any word from Ronda?

This is her last post on instagram/twitter
    Fake ass cheap shotting fake respect fake humility bitch - "preacher's daughter" my ass - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your ass kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL

https://instagram.com/p/-DMAcAhESQ/

bit of egg on her face over that now

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

Barao vs Dillashaw 1 springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Anyone else think Ronda should have hung around for a post fight interview? She didn't seem to be so horrifically injured that she would have to be rushed to hospital? Would have been nice to see her give props to Holly and thank her fans etc.

• Advertisement

Holm via Submission
    CageWager wrote: »
    Anyone else think Ronda should have hung around for a post fight interview? She didn't seem to be so horrifically injured that she would have to be rushed to hospital? Would have been nice to see her give props to Holly and thank her fans etc.

You don't **** with head trauma.

Rousey via Submission
    CageWager wrote: »

Her lip was split down the middle, needed stitches straight away.

She's no Robbie Lawler.

Holm via Submission
    I wonder did Holm actually say anything in private to stoke such a strong reaction from Rousey, Ronda seemed too on edge/emotional and it exposed her in that fight IMO.

It could just be that she has to find a way to hate her opponents or was simply trying to selll PPV's but her total lack of calmness under pressure cost her big time and it's a pretty poor sign IMO that she crumbled so badly after being pushed for the first time in her career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Rousey via Decision
    Just watched it. Holy shi-eet! Well done Holly, really showed up Ronda's boxing or lack thereof. She just picked her off from distance, dominating performance. Will be interesting to see if Ronda gets in instant rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Dilliishaw and barao. Lasted longer but Tj schooled him

It could just be that she has to find a way to hate her opponents or was simply trying to selll PPV's

I'm pretty much in the camp that it was designed to sell last minute tickets/PPV's.

The media attention in the lead up to the fight was more intense than any previous. Travis Browne.... Her mother falling out with her coach....

It must be draining to have all this attention and mainstream media honing in on you when you're preparing for a fight particularly when the questions are nothing about Holm and more to do with personal life.

It must be extremely taxing.

On the flip side, you've got Holly Holm with very little media attention on her which lets her focus fully on the fight.

Dilliishaw and barao. Lasted longer but Tj schooled him

I've already given my reasons why I think this is a bigger defeat. :)

Holm via Submission
    Just watched it. Holy shi-eet! Well done Holly, really showed up Ronda's boxing or lack thereof. She just picked her off from distance, dominating performance. Will be interesting to see if Ronda gets in instant rematch.

Dana essentially confirmed it in the post match interview.

The UFC has so much invested in Ronda and she delivers big numbers so they will give her a rematch.

The only thing is Ronda doesn't want to fight again until UFC 200, but I'd imagine Holly would want to fight sooner as she is essentially only getting started.

They'd probably have to give Holly a big cut of PPV's if they made her wait that long.

Holm via Submission
    I'm pretty much in the camp that it was designed to sell last minute tickets/PPV's.

The media attention in the lead up to the fight was more intense than any previous. Travis Browne.... Her mother falling out with her coach....

It must be draining to have all this attention and mainstream media honing in on you when you're preparing for a fight particularly when the questions are nothing about Holm and more to do with personal life.

It must be extremely taxing.

On the flip side, you've got Holly Holm with very little media attention on her which lets her focus fully on the fight.

I'm inclined to agree, I think it was probably just a push for PPV's but Ronda definitely didn't look to be in a good space mentally before the fight. She probably needs some time away from everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i dont think for one minute this is a Buster Douglas situation.

Boxing isnt MMA, and Rousey, certainly wasnt up to the likes of what Tyson was up to.

Tyson was too busy riding 5 hookers a day and sniffing his brains as opposed to training for an upcoming title fight.

Rousey may have a hell of a lot media work to deal with, but she still gets to train.

There's a cold hard fact in this MMA game. If you are a wrestler/judoka/jiu jitsu fighter, or basically someone who excels on the ground, if you fight a legit stand up fighter, and you cannot take them down to the ground, then you cannot win the fight. It is that simple.

Its not like boxing where you have two guys who have trained in the art since they where children. Where one guy is slightly better than the other guy, because that one lucky punch can always happen.

In last nights fight you had one master of the stand up, vs one master of judoka, so once the judoka person could not take the fight to the ground, then that judoka person is quite frankly an AMATEUR ON THE FEET. Thats not opinion, thats fact. Rousey has only trained in boxing a few years, as opposed to Holm who has been doing it all her life. One is a pro and one is an amateur ,its that simple.

As regards a rematch. Hands up, who here has ever seen such a one sided beat down reversed in the rematch?

People can say GSP and Serra, but that was one punch, not a sustained beating for 6 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement