Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Rousey via Decision
    Rhonda looked like she spent her camp at Pendred's School of Striking, delighted for Holly,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Holm not the only winner!
    Well done to the 58 people that called this right!:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    I thought it was only 4 yesterday !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That_Guy wrote: »
    True but Ronda was a flawless champion who looked to have zero holes in her game and she looked like a deer in headlights.

For someone who ran through everybody the amount of times she's done it, it's more shocking than Barao losing imo.

?

It has often been highlighted that she has poor striking and stand up in general.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

e6a63lD.gif
    pbvHH4G.jpg
    c781b103de6673a0a52375043bbd8be6.gif
    pbvHH4G.jpg
    UltimateCloudyKillifish.gif
    pbvHH4G.jpg
    L3Izlmr.jpg
    pbvHH4G.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission
    blade1 wrote: »
    Holm not the only winner!
    Well done to the 58 people that called this right!:pac::pac::pac:

People who set the poll up should use the feature that closes it at a certain date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Saipanne wrote: »
    People who set the poll up should use the feature that closes it at a certain date.

A screenshot of the poll at the start of the fight would be enough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Rousey via Submission
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought it was only 4 yesterday !

At the start of the fight it was
    holy ko/tko 12
    holy sub 02
    holy dis 06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission
    blade1 wrote: »
    A screenshot of the poll at the start of the fight would be enough ;)

True, but my idea takes less effort. :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

e6a63lD.gif

How long before this:

81152595.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

That_Guy wrote: »
    True but Ronda was a flawless champion who looked to have zero holes in her game and she looked like a deer in headlights.

For someone who ran through everybody the amount of times she's done it, it's more shocking than Barao losing imo.

Flawless, she beat up Bethe Corriera who is only training MMA something like 5 years.

Im not slagging Ronda, ok, i kind of am. But she's been light years ahead of her previous opponents because quite franky, they where mostly amateurs.

Ronda is piss lucky Dana never fed her to Cyborg, because if you think what Holm did to her was vicious, then what Cyborg would do would be x-rated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

Ronda broken jaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Ronda broken jaw?

I wouldnt be surprised, because i actually thought it was broken in the first round.

I read on the UG that her lip is badly damaged and she'll need plastic surgery on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Flawless, she beat up Bethe Corriera who is only training MMA something like 5 years.

She also ran through Zingano, Davis and McMann in devastating fashion. She has weaknesses as were shown last night but up until that point, she has been winning fights in an incredibly efficient and flawless fashion in my eyes anyway.
    Im not slagging Ronda, ok, i kind of am. But she's been light years ahead of her previous opponents because quite franky, they where mostly amateurs.

Think it's a bit harsh calling them amateurs. They're just not on the level that Rousey is but that landscape is changing now.
    Ronda is piss lucky Dana never fed her to Cyborg, because if you think what Holm did to her was vicious, then what Cyborg would do would be x-rated!!!

Just on this, I wonder now if this fight would actually mean anything now given the defeat.

It's something I would have liked to see happen at UFC 200 in a super fight but I don't think we really need it at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    Ronda broken jaw?

Thought she might have picked up a bit of a knee injury too, well it looked like she was kinda limping for abit but seemed to get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

http://gfycat.com/UltimateCloudyKillifish

That Rousey one is useless. How many punches to the face did she walk into in round 1 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    The poll for this thread has 61 votes now for Holm by KO!!! Before the fight this morning I think it was 11. So 50 people (give or take) have come in and voted after the fight was over!!

WHY????

Methinks the polls should be public in future!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

John_D80 wrote: »
    The poll for this thread has 61 votes now for Holm by KO!!! Before the fight this morning I think it was 11. So 50 people (give or take) have come in and voted after the fight was over!!

WHY????

Should have stuck a closing date on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision

They are. :)

It doesn't both me personally but I'll try to use the settings to close it prior to the main event starting in future. If not, I'm sure a moderator will be able to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The poll is public, the poll should be closed before the fight though.

People who vote after the event are strange, though they do they to say they are right, after the event, on an anonymous message board........

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    They are. :)

It doesn't both me personally but I'll try to use the settings to close it prior to the main event starting in future. If not, I'm sure a moderator will be able to do it.

Doesnt bother me either really but it would be funny if we could see who was doing it!! :-)

By public I meant we should be able to see who has voted for whatever options. Is that possible?

EDIT: Apologies!! Just figured out how to seethe names of whoever voted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Jaysus lads yer getting all worked up over a poll about a fight thats over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    Just voted for Holm by KO there for anyone wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Ronda predicting her own downfall

https://youtu.be/1hmfzFh56Vo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Holm via Submission
    I voted Holm by ko but didn't put any money down on it unfortunately. Great performance from Holm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    Doesnt bother me either really but it would be funny if we could see who was doing it!! :-)

By public I meant we should be able to see who has voted for whatever options. Is that possible?

EDIT: Apologies!! Just figured out how to seethe names of whoever voted.
    Someone needs to take a screenshot of the poll with names before the fight begins, then post it a few days later to expose all the phonies :D

edit: blade1 said it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Holm via Submission
    Someone needs to take a screenshot of the poll with names before the fight begins, then post it a few days later to expose all the phonies :D

Or just close the poll when the fight starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

Guys as someone who only watches the occasional PPV is it really the biggest upset in UFC history, as Holms seemed to have a good record in boxing and MMA prior to the fight?Also after the kick to the head Rousey took that seemed to knock her out,should the ref of called it there and then or would it be ending the fight too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Holm via Submission
    tinpib wrote: »
    Christ, that's some fcuking ad.

Essentially a huge rip-off of a John Murphy tune, at least to me anaways.

Prob this John Murphy tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FcM-xmOx8&index=105&list=PLnqCqnLxgdro7-hjLxMAhWMViwMuKYrFN

some great other tunes there by this user

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEAJE1quyo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lyrical wrote: »
    Guys as someone who only watches the occasional PPV is it really the biggest upset in UFC history, as Holms seemed to have a good record in boxing and MMA prior to the fight?Also after the kick to the head Rousey took that seemed to knock her out,should the ref of called it there and then or would it be ending the fight too soon?

Ronda was out long before she hit the ground, she went stiff and she wasn't waking up anytime soon. Sometimes fighters wake up very quickly but refs usually are very good at spotting that they went unconscious and will stop the fight regardless to whether they return to consciousness or not.

Holly was just making sure by following up with strikes but she could have just walked away after the head kick if she wanted.

Herb should have stepped in once she hit the ground and if he had there would have been no complaints whatsoever but he must have been in shock like the rest of the stadium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Holm via KO was at 15 last i checked. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    bur wrote: »
    Holm via KO was at 15 last i checked. :rolleyes:

And now it's at 39 so what, it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Rousey via Decision
    Had a gut feeling late last night and threw a tenner on Holly to beat Ronda @ 6/1. Delighted when I woke up this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

14murphy wrote:
    Had a gut feeling late last night and threw a tenner on Holly to beat Ronda @ 6/1. Delighted when I woke up this morning.

Proof or gtfo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

12115461_975876892494631_6863080927298358994_n.jpg?oh=c4283d2b25d94be51257eece68767710&oe=56B81763

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Me poor Rhonda what happened ,

While a massive Rhonda fan I believe I called it on here months before there was the original match up that Holm might be the one to cause the most problems for Rhonda with the striking a kickboxing background,
    I think she should have taken a break after the bethe correia fight and revaluated a few things from acting to coaches ,

Fair play to Holly she brought her A game and stuck to a plan a worthy and Humble Champion ,

Funny seeing bethe correia trying to Troll Rhonda on instagram forgetting she didn't last more than a few seconds before eating the mat after making herself to be the baddest bitch on the planet .

Hopefully Rhonda takes the time now to fix her game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

14murphy wrote: »

Where did you get 6/1? Ronda was 1/12 with Paddy yesterday, so I reckon Holm would have been about 9/1 or so with them... 6/1 doesn't seem to reflect that at all.

So yeah, post a picture of GTFO! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Rousey via Decision
    ComfortKid wrote: »
    Proof or gtfo

Boom
    KAA5L5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fair play to ya 14murphy then!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Vim Fuego wrote: »

Surprised that not many people are mentioning Ronda taking a swing long after the bell in round one. Whatever about not touching gloves or creating false drama at the weigh in, that's most low-class thing she's done so far imo. Herb Dean in between, both had disengaged then takes the cheap shot. Seems to have been swept under the carpet after the subsequent events.

Noticed that too, very poor form especially as the ref had stepped in between them. And Ronda gets a performance bonus? :confused:

Holm via Submission
    odds when I looked at around 2am
    fair difference in opinion between some on the holly ko

15dawm.jpg
    icvfxs.jpg
    9ps8y8.jpg

Rousey via Decision
    What surprises me the most when I think is that Ronda got a 50k bonus by virtue of the fact that she took a one-sided beating in the biggest upset off MMA history. Not to say that Holm didn't deserve the extra 50k because she does, and more. But there were a lot of fighters on that card who deserved 50k a lot more than Ronda.

Also worth noting that, unless her next fight is a rematch, I'm pretty sure she will be coming in near bottom end of the Reebok payscale!!

Holm via Submission
    What surprises me the most when I think is that Ronda got a 50k bonus by virtue that she took a one-sided beating in the biggest upset off MMA history.

that's scandalous to say the least considering how the fight went

Rousey via Decision
    mailburner wrote: »
    that's scandalous to say the least considering how the fight went

Totally. Fair to say, its a point that probably got lost in all the hype of the day. Dana looking after Ronda perhaps? At the expense of other lower paid fighters?

Bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Was looking for a gif of round 2 (i think) where ronda goes flying in for a take down ,or god knows what, but holm side stepped and ducked and ronda ends walking straight into the cage. Couldnt find it but this is just as good.

http://i.imgur.com/QUdpO1u.gifv

In hindsight she had lost this fight at the weigh in. Hope she learns from it and puts up a better performance next time.

• Advertisement

Aside from Rousey's loss, something that bothered me at the time of watching but I forgot to comment on.

During the Struve/Rosholt fight, Struve was on his back inviting Rosholt to try and engage in a ground battle.

Crowd boos and Rogan says, "these are casual/new fans to the UFC and don't know what's going on. 'Heh heh, he's got his hands behind his head'."

Very condescending and doesn't help new fans trying to understand what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Totally. Fair to say, its a point that probably got lost in all the hype of the day. Dana looking after Ronda perhaps? At the expense of other lower paid fighters?

Bad form.

He was shell shocked. Someone asked him at the post press con how he thought ronda had done in round one and he was almost speechless, couldnt bring himself to say that she had lost it.

Keno wrote: »
    If Ronda loses I'll change my Boards name to "Cathal Pendred's Fists of Fury" for a month.

Just a gentle reminder... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Rousey via Decision
    seannash wrote: »
    Bit miffed at the hatred for Rousey because she talks so much ****, is a brat etc and then the applauding for McGregor who is the same if not worse in another thread.
    Great win for Holm, didn't see it happening.

the difference is conor is funny and entertaining and seems like a decent person under it all, and most of his schtick is just for show. rhonda genuinely seems like a spoilt, immature and often nasty character.

also the gulf in skill between the two is like comparing a third division footballer with a premier league one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Rousey via Submission
    I thought as a whole it was a good night of fighting. The only thing I didn't like was in the Whittaker/Hall fight where Hall indicated he'd been eye poked but on replay it was a clear punch. I think Whittaker would have finished it soon after but for that little break.

• Advertisement
Advertisement