Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

froog wrote: »
    the difference is conor is funny and entertaining and seems like a decent person under it all, and most of his schtick is just for show. rhonda genuinely seems like a spoilt, immature and often nasty character.

also the gulf in skill between the two is like comparing a third division footballer with a premier league one.

Looks can be really deceiving. You should give her book a read. Really eye opening stuff. Certainly made me change my tune about her anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ken wrote: »
    I thought as a whole it was a good night of fighting. The only thing I didn't like was in the Whittaker/Hall fight where Hall indicated he'd been eye poked but on replay it was a clear punch. I think Whittaker would have finished it soon after but for that little break.

Ref needed to be stronger there. He stopped the clock based on Hall's reaction. I don't believe he saw anything resembling an eye poke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

John_D80 wrote: »
    What surprises me the most when I think is that Ronda got a 50k bonus by virtue of the fact that she took a one-sided beating in the biggest upset off MMA history. Not to say that Holm didn't deserve the extra 50k because she does, and more. But there were a lot of fighters on that card who deserved 50k a lot more than Ronda.

Also worth noting that, unless her next fight is a rematch, I'm pretty sure she will be coming in near bottom end of the Reebok payscale!!

Hence the term Fight of the night not fighter or single best performance by a fighter of the night ,
    The same happens if a fighter goes 5 rounds getting battered for most of it a winning with an unexpected knock out and wining fight of the night.

Some how i doubt Holly will be upset winning an extra $100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Totally. Fair to say, its a point that probably got lost in all the hype of the day. Dana looking after Ronda perhaps? At the expense of other lower paid fighters?

Bad form.

Ronda earns millions. Taking care of Ronda wouldn't be the motive behind giving her 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Rousey via Decision
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Looks can be really deceiving. You should give her book a read. Really eye opening stuff. Certainly made me change my tune about her anyway.

i haven't read the book but i know about her father and all that.

i just find her incredibly childish.

like her last tweet before the fight -

Fake ass cheap shotting fake respect fake humility bitch - "preacher's daughter" my ass - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your ass kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL

like that's not trolling or hyping up a fight, that's a nasty ****er having a meltdown over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I wouldn't just base your opinion of her on her book. Biographies, particularly American ones, tend to be very sterilised. Her actions in the media show her true colours. She's not a very likeable character. She's also the most overrated combat fighter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    Gatling wrote: »
    Hence the term Fight of the night not fighter or single best performance by a fighter of the night ,
    The same happens if a fighter goes 5 rounds getting battered for most of it a winning with an unexpected knock out and wining fight of the night.

Some how i doubt Holly will be upset winning an extra $100,000
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Ronda earns millions. Taking care of Ronda wouldn't be the motive behind giving her 50k.
    Old Perry wrote: »
    He was shell shocked. Someone asked him at the post press con how he thought ronda had done in round one and he was almost speechless, couldnt bring himself to say that she had lost it.

My point was that there were far more deserving fighters than Rousey of a bonus. Its not uncommon for there to be four performance bonuses when none of the fights stand out.

If they wanted togive an extra reward to Holm then they could have done so by way of a locker room bonus. Which to be fair they probably did anyway, but there is no way on Earth, for any reason, that Rousey deserved a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My point was that there were far more deserving fighters than Rousey of a bonus. Its not uncommon for there to be four performance bonuses when none of the fights stand out.

If they wanted togive an extra reward to Holm then they could have done so by way of a locker room bonus. Which to be fair they probably did anyway, but there is no way on Earth, for any reason, that Rousey deserved a bonus.

but it was a fight of the night bonus keyword been Fight ,
    You can't have a fight of the night bonus and only hand it to the winner of said fight ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rousey via Decision
    Just a gentle reminder... ;)
    Axwell wrote: »
    El Guapo will sort it out for ya or point you in the right direction. You may need to be a subscriber though.

PM sent to El Guapo.

Rousey via Decision
    Gatling wrote: »
    Yes there was probably more deserving fighters but it was a fight of the night bonus keyword been Fight ,
    You can't have a fight of the night bonus and only hand it to the winner of said fight ,

Obviously but imo they should have either given out 4 performance bonuses or else given fotn to someone else.

I'm pretty sure she has gotten performance bonuses in every fight she has had in the UFC before now and probably one or two FOTN's as well. Its fair to say any of those were well deserved but not last nights bonus.

FOTN should never go to such one sided beatings IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Holm via Submission

Fake ass cheap shotting fake respect fake humility bitch - "preacher's daughter" my ass - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your ass kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL

like that's not trolling or hyping up a fight, that's a nasty ****er having a meltdown over nothing.

McGregor says way worse stuff but you think he's really a nice guy ?

McGregor is no different, probably worse in fact as Rhonda has been top of the game for a long time and had a long time to buy into the hype surrounding her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    Gonna be the greatest boards name of all time!

Interesting thoughts from Ronda's former judo coach Jimmy Pedro on the defeat (8min audio clip).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0384bkn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Holm via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

Rousey via Decision
    Fantastic achievement by Holly - a very shrewd clever approach by her and her camp, with rumors that she's been holding back during all of her other fights which (though I don't believe that's really possible) is also good strategy!

Disappointed in Ronda's behavior over the past week, but I really really hope that she takes the time to refocus and get back to the sport. The pressure she's been under must have been immense, she's been pulled in so many different directions, her mother comes across like a whack job (not saying she was wrong about Tarverdyan, but what the hell was she thinking coming out so publicly like that, what a c&*t of a mother), the whole Travis Browne thing, the media promotions and training on top? Ronda comes across as emotionally immature - like a teenager still and with all of the bad judgement of one which given the training and tough schedule she had as a kid makes sense. So she's trying to navigate a whole lot of crazy in the public eye without the resources to deal with it properly. I hope she gives herself the time and space to grow up and get it together because she really is a phenomenal athlete, a super strong personality and has helped bring the sport to the mainstream and to a lot of young girls.

Anyway, fascinating night. Was watching the post-presser, thought the dynamic between Mark Hunt and Johanna was very sweet... She's such a killer... Letourneau is seriously tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Yes, she behaved like a brat but the majority of them do which doesn't make it okay by any stretch but there you go, Holly seems to be refreshingly different in that regard. (Some previous challengers said horrible stuff about Rhonda's Dad's suicide). In fairness to Ronda she has a lot of time for her fans and she gives so much time and money to charity. I don't think she is an awful person. I do hope she comes back from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    I could well be wrong here but from a quick look it appears this event is the most popular in MMA forum history on Boards. It's even surpassed McGregor v Mendes at UFC 189 in terms of posts! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    Interesting thoughts from Ronda's former judo coach Jimmy Pedro on the defeat (8min audio clip).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0384bkn

The guy himself said he hasn't had much contact since she left judo in 2009 so seems strange for him to be taking an interview about her now 6 years later.
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Yes, she behaved like a brat but the majority of them do which doesn't make it okay by any stretch but there you go, Holly seems to be refreshingly different in that regard. (Some previous challengers said horrible stuff about Rhonda's Dad's suicide). In fairness to Ronda she has a lot of time for her fans and she gives so much time and money to charity. I don't think she is an awful person. I do hope she comes back from this.

Bethe apologised and asked for forgiveness once she found out what happened to RR's Dad. That's not the usual way trash talk works.

• Advertisement

Rogan doing a podcast on the plane home with Tony Hinchcliffe (comedian) and Dana White. Should be up sometime tomorrow. Should be fun. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey via Submission
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    The guy himself said he hasn't had much contact since she left judo in 2009 so seems strange for him to be taking an interview about her now 6 years later.

Bethe apologised and asked for forgiveness once she found out what happened to RR's Dad. That's not the usual way trash talk works.

As said before, I'm definitely under the impression like many others that Ronda needs to have a grudge against her opponent for any fight she has. She has to be emotionally invested in it and hate her opponent, which clearly shows some sort of mental weakness.

I used to be a fan of hers, but she is the very definition of a complete bitch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

THis whole thread makes me think of the family of the boxer in Million dollar baby

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    As said before, I'm definitely under the impression like many others that Ronda needs to have a grudge against her opponent for any fight she has. She has to be emotionally invested in it and hate her opponent

Yeah that seems to be sounding more true as time goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Holm via Submission
    Seen Conor saying he always knew she wasn't the best in wmma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Seen an interview with Ariel and Holly's coaches there, Ariel was saying he heard they were using codewords throughout the fight to direct Holly. One of the things they said was "Travis Browne"! :D

I wonder did that mean anything or was that just to get in Ronda's head!

• Advertisement

Rousey via Submission
    dave1982 wrote: »

Ronda's biggest fan said that??

In other news, this couldn't be more perfect.

hCCDEABE4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Holm via Submission
    dave1982 wrote: »

Where did you pick that up not doubting you or anything,just if he did you would imagine thats gonna make some headlines on mma websites very soon.

Rousey via Decision
    Has there been anything said from anyone out of Ronda's camp yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Holm via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    I could well be wrong here but from a quick look it appears this event is the most popular in MMA forum history on Boards. It's even surpassed McGregor v Mendes at UFC 189 in terms of posts! :eek:

Yeah, but most are about the poll :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Holm via Submission
    shrewdness wrote: »
    Seen an interview with Ariel and Holly's coaches there, Ariel was saying he heard they were using codewords throughout the fight to direct Holly. One of the things they said was "Travis Browne"! :D

I wonder did that mean anything or was that just to get in Ronda's head!

Yes, that code word meant... hit that bitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Afterward, she waits to see if RR is ok before celebrating. Pure class. I am a Holm fan for life after that performance.

Surprised that not many people are mentioning Ronda taking a swing long after the bell in round one. Whatever about not touching gloves or creating false drama at the weigh in, that's most low-class thing she's done so far imo. Herb Dean in between, both had disengaged then takes the cheap shot. Seems to have been swept under the carpet after the subsequent events.

I was outraged at Rousey's cheap shot after the bell. It was worse than Aldo's one on Mendes, and that was nasty enough.

I have really turned on Rousey lately, I probably gave her a free pass like a feckin eejit because she's attractive and a great finisher. The made up crap with Correia and Holm was a bit far. I bet she didn't have a go at Zingano because Zingano had enough to be dealing with.

Like everyone else it was easy to underestimate Holm based on the UFC stage of her career. In hindsight it was all there on paper. She really called on her experience, great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Dr Ana Maria De Mars called it. Probably why she wasn't there. He looks slimy.

'Beautiful work.." - Edmond Tarverdyan Ronda's Coach.

Rousey via Decision
    Joanna broke her right hand again last night, per Aeriel Helwani. She'll need surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Holm via Submission
    I was outraged at Rousey's cheap shot after the bell. It was worse than Aldo's one on Mendes, and that was nasty enough.

I have really turned on Rousey lately, I probably gave her a free pass like a feckin eejit because she's attractive and a great finisher. The made up crap with Correia and Holm was a bit far. I bet she didn't have a go at Zingano because Zingano had enough to be dealing with.

Like everyone else it was easy to underestimate Holm based on the UFC stage of her career. In hindsight it was all there on paper. She really called on her experience, great to watch.

Not a Ronda fan at all and loved seeing her lose she but i think in fairness to her she just was all over the place at the end of round 1,i think that after the bell shot was just her not knowing where she was and barely heard the bell.

Ronda was half concussed by that stage and exhausted so I wouldn't hold it against her. Holly didn't bat an eyelid to it either such was the lack of force behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Holm via Submission
    I was outraged at Rousey's cheap shot after the bell.

That in my opinion was an act desperation and fatigue, because she knew it was all turning sour

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

14murphy wrote: »
    Had a gut feeling late last night and threw a tenner on Holly to beat Ronda @ 6/1. Delighted when I woke up this morning.

u6zii.jpg

Calling Photoshopped shenanigans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Holm via KO/TKO
    Cant believe no one after voted for Ronda decision, easy money I can't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Ronda was half concussed by that stage and exhausted so I wouldn't hold it against her. Holly didn't bat an eyelid to it either such was the lack of force behind it.

Fair enough I suppose. They are probably so hyped on adrenaline too when shots after the bell happen. Still hate seeing it in case it would affect the outcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Rousey via Decision
    Axwell wrote: »
    u6zii.jpg

Calling Photoshopped shenanigans :D
    Not shopped. Could've swore it was later.

• Advertisement

Yes , the boxing record is very impressive.

14murphy wrote: »
    Not shopped. Could've swore it was later.

Only messing with ya :P

Rousey via Submission
    Yes , the boxing record is very impressive.

Not according to Sonnen :D Speaking of, he's been very quiet about the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rousey via Submission
    The poll for this thread has 61 votes now for Holm by KO!!! Before the fight this morning I think it was 11. So 50 people (give or take) have come in and voted after the fight was over!!

WHY????

Methinks the polls should be public in future!! :-)

Should have stuck a closing date on it.
    I prefer the name and shame approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Holm via Submission
    There was no where near 73 people in the Holm camp KO on that poll when I voted, maybe 11 but not 73! Easy tell post fight! Lol

Edit! Previous posted seen!
    Previous poster correct, dead on 11 when I was voting Holm Ko 3 hours before it. Stupid voting post fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rousey via Submission
    Aside from Rousey's loss, something that bothered me at the time of watching but I forgot to comment on.

During the Struve/Rosholt fight, Struve was on his back inviting Rosholt to try and engage in a ground battle.

Crowd boos and Rogan says, "these are casual/new fans to the UFC and don't know what's going on. 'Heh heh, he's got his hands behind his head'."

Very condescending and doesn't help new fans trying to understand what's happening.
    Noticed that. Any crowd in the world would have booed that match.

Rousey via Submission
    Cmon folks we only need 7 more votes for Holly KO to win the poll and we will then be officially the most knowledgeable mma forum in the world. I can't believe 60ish people voted after the fight :pac:

Somewhere right now one of those sad people that voted afterwards is in the pub with his mates boasting how he predicted it before the fight using the poll as evidence..shame on you sir, shame on you.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cmon folks we only need 7 more votes for Holly KO to win the poll and we will then be officially the most knowledgeable mma forum in the world. I can't believe 60ish people voted after the fight :pac:

Whoops forgot to vote! Gimme a second! :pac:

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    If fellas wanna be that sad that they vote after the fact, leave em off.

I just think the dozen or so genuine holm voters (im not one btw) deserve their bragging rights!!

:-)

Advertisement