Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Is there anywhere that us europeans can watch the Fox Sports after show?

Seems like it would be a fun watch with the shock of it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Is there anywhere that us europeans can watch the Fox Sports after show?

Seems like it would be a fun watch with the shock of it all

Try youtube or ufc.tv/fightpass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I haven't read all 903 posts and I'm not a big MMA watcher, but there's an amazing turnaround from the beginning of this thread in terms of support for Rousey.

What did she get up to over the course of the last week that turned opinions on her? From the little I've seen of her antics, she's been unnecessarily obnoxious and rude pre- and post- fight to her opponents. Was it just more of the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Rousey via Submission
    I think as soon as she didn't touch gloves with her opponent at the start of the fight the mood changed. That was just downright rude. Even the biggest arsehole boxer or fighter will touch gloves with his/her opponent before a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Rousey via Decision
    Wow what a shocker although Holly did have the credentials on paper to cause Ronda problems.

Rondas gameplan was awful, she really should move camps and get rid of that loser. Can't stand him.

Amazing how she's gone from the most dominant female around to a one trick pony who wouldn't have a prayer in a rematch in a lot of people's eyes.

Losing the aura of invincibility is a huge thing though and Holly does seem a really bad match up for her now obviously. In saying that it's possible she rushes in, gets a throw and an armbar in 60 seconds as she used to.

Bookies prices for a rematch would be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Holm via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    If fellas wanna be that sad that they vote after the fact, leave em off.

I just think the dozen or so genuine holm voters (im not one btw) deserve their bragging rights!!

:-)

I was one... Annoying to see its at 75 now. Rousey hype was gone to insane levels. Blood in the water now, if she loses the rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    Edmund speaks........what now?????

From espn interview.
    I wouldn't say in the striking game she was getting the best of Ronda, you know, but I have to watch it again. But we know this was not a striking match; we know that Ronda is smart enough to take the fight where she is best at and today she did. Holly stopped an attempt on an armbar and stopped some of the takedowns. She did a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The lack of respect being shown to Ronda Rousey after one loss following a 12 win streak is disgraceful stuff tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

mdwexford wrote: »
    Bookies prices for a rematch would be interesting.

Rousey is already favourite in America for the rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Joe Rogan just linked this https://www.instagram.com/p/-IATlZpyN5/

"The public reaction of Shock, Awe, Joy, Anger, and Hateful speech is what really led me to post my thoughts.
    As humans...one of the only things we love more then worshiping our Heroes and idols .... Is tearing them down "

Should Ronda take a break, I will be very interested to see how Holly performs against the rest of the division that Ronda has dominated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The shape of that Holm girls jaw would worry me. The girl looks like she could run through a brick wall. Is she the norm in the UFC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Great result, was absolutely delighted.

Now if McGregor could get a taste of the same medicine Ronda has it'll cap off a great year in UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

corny wrote: »
    The shape of that Holm girls jaw would worry me. The girl looks like she could run through a brick wall. Is she the norm in the UFC?

What do you mean by that?As in she's got a granite chin or a weird looking jaw haha?
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    Joe Rogan just linked this https://www.instagram.com/p/-IATlZpyN5/

"The public reaction of Shock, Awe, Joy, Anger, and Hateful speech is what really led me to post my thoughts.
    As humans...one of the only things we love more then worshiping our Heroes and idols .... Is tearing them down "

Should Ronda take a break, I will be very interested to see how Holly performs against the rest of the division that Ronda has dominated.

God I can't stand Rogan, the way he harps on about Rousey has definitely turned a lot of fans off of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Rousey via Decision
    That horrific promo by Joe Rogan will go down in history for a) being the worst promo in the history of promos b) piling a huge amount of hate on ronda.

God i cant stop watching the fight back. What an occasion it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The lack of respect being shown to Ronda Rousey after one loss following a 12 win streak is disgraceful stuff tbh.

Huh?

Gimme a few examples so I know what your talking about please.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rousey via Submission
    Huh?

Gimme a few examples so I know what your talking about please.

People saying she has no chance in a rematch or even that she doesn't deserve a rematch is just silly, that she wasn't really a good fighter, etc.

24 hours ago she was one of the dominant fighters in UFC history in their weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

People saying she has no chance in a rematch or even that she doesn't deserve a rematch is just silly, that she wasn't really a good fighter, etc.

24 hours ago she was one of the dominant fighters in UFC history in their weight class.

ufc-gif-o.gif

She was dominant, of that there is no doubt. It's the calibre of her competition that is what has people less impressed with her dominance. I mean what on earth was Zingano doing mindlessly rushing in like that? She looks untrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    DrPhilG wrote: »

That said, I'm glad that Holm will get an extra $100k. I'm sure Ronda is getting millions including a PPV cut whereas Holm only makes $50k including win bonus (that's what she made for her first 2 anyway).
    I think Holms will have jumped up in fight money for this one. She had a Rousey clause in her contract, to allow her to renegotiate pay for a title shot separately.

Rousey via Decision
    Don't really agree, she's an elite boxer/kickboxer who tore her to shreds in the standup - she 100% ****s all over Ronda in terms of their ability standing.

I wasnt talking about stand up ability only. Ronda has bad striking, that's a given. I was talking about her best potential being grappling.

A lot of people actually suggested she'd try to strike with her to prove a point. But I still can't believe she was that stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Mellor wrote: »
    I wasnt talking about stand up ability only. Ronda has bad striking, that's a given. I was talking about her best potential being grappling.

A lot of people actually suggested she'd try to strike with her to prove a point. But I still can't believe she was that stupid

It begs belief really. I dont know much about him but that edmond fella seems to have had role to play in it.

Edit. Here is a good summary based on the audio from both corners during the fight. Posted to reddit.

usey's Corner
    Edmond's advice during the fight is completely braindead. He's constantly praising her and telling her that she's doing well, regardless of how many time Holm smashes that straight left into Rousey's mouth.
    His main piece of substantive advice is to shout "Discipline!" and to tell her to keep her hands up. (Thanks, coach!)
    Whenever Ronda is in serious trouble, Edmond says absolutely nothing. Nothing. When Ronda's stunned, he goes silent. When Holm takes Ronda down, he goes silent. In the last ~15 seconds of the fight, as Ronda's flailing around, then getting stunned, and then getting kicked in the head, it's just dead air. This is not a coach who has helpful things to say when the chips are down. Just brutal.
    When Ronda's regaining minimal consciousness, she's very resistant. Herb Dean asks Edmond to talk to Ronda to try to help her settle. Herb specifically says: "Talk to her. Be honest." I found the "be honest" part interesting.
    Ronda, clearly dazed, has a very difficult time accepting what's going on. She insists that she's not been knocked out and that she's "fine." When she's instructed to sit on the stool, she declines because she'd like to "get back in there." It's really sad and hard to listen to.
    Holm's Corner
    Listening to Holm's corner puts the terribleness of Rousey's corner work into perspective. Izzy Martinez does a lot of useless positive screaming, but he also says some helpful stuff and calls out some specific instructions in tense moments. Almost everything from Wink and Jackson is substantive and helpful.
    After the fight, Izzy is positively freaking the **** out. He cannot contain himself. At one point (to Rogan, I think) he "promises" that "Yair is next," referring to Yair Rodriguez. (For those who don't know, Rodriguez has been regularly training at Jackson's for a while now.)
    After the win, when they're standing around watching the replay, Jackson goes "Hey, look at that ground and pound! She did the monkey!" LOL.
    Jackson said something hard to discern that sounds very interesting. They're describing some of Holm's excellent work in and getting out of the clinch, and Jackson says: "remember, don't mention that behind the head [mumble]" to anybody. I can't tell what, exactly, he's referring to. But it sounds like it's supposed to be a secret! Any thoughts?
    If you have the chance, go and check out the corners' audio streams. There's good stuff in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I suppose the statement that RR would destroy Floyd mayweather must not hold much truth now.

Rousey via Decision
    I
    Not even close to GSP vs Serra. One of the most dominant champions in the sport losing in the first round to a guy with a 9-4 record who won his title shot on a TV show.
    GSP lost to Sera in his first defense. He was hardly a dominate champ at that stage.

a few strange things on this even I thought.

did anyone catch the comment from rogan after the booing in the struve match?? it was mad, he says, "typical from new to UFC fans, they don't understand what's happening".... WTF!!! so if you've never been out of your country to visit an event, you're a new fan??? so everyone in the stadiums first UFC and MMA enent ever was Saturday in Australia?? eh no!!!! they were booing cos it was a shocking bad match JOE! and they have TV, internet etc. Like the UFC is the only MMA worthy federation in town!

also it was commented on the lack of atmosphere, not as blunt as that but you could hear a pin drop.. so much so, that if you play the fourth round in the co main even, I'd swear on my mortgage, they added the sound from an audio tape, maybe from a football match, to make it better. have a listen if you get the chance, it's bizarre and the crowds noise is not in sync with matters in the octagon, then as if by magic, id disappears!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Holm via KO/TKO
    That Struve Rosholt fight was one of the worst fights I've ever seen. Two boring fighters I'd have no interest in watching again, especially Rosholt. If he was active while in top position I could stomach it but he just lays there, awful.

Rousey via Decision
    Incredible performance from Holly. But I think people are much too quick to say Ronda has no chance in the rematch. I think people are letting the second half of the fight cloud their view of the whole fight.
    There was a moment early in the first where Ronda went for a trip, it was wasn't up to usual standard. Holly defended and avoided flying, but they fell down anyway, and Ronda stepped over to come on top on the turtles. They ended up in a position quite like Zigano. I thought that was game over. And normally it would have been. Holly didn't actually defend the attack with counter grappling. She simply based, and pulled out when Ronda unbalanced.

Any other time Ronda finished from that position in seconds and world keeps spinning.

Rousey via Decision
    rusty cole wrote: »
    a few strange things on this even I thought.

did anyone catch the comment from rogan after the booing in the struve match?? it was mad, he says, "typical from new to UFC fans, they don't understand what's happening".... WTF!!! so if you've never been out of your country to visit an event, you're a new fan??? so everyone in the stadiums first UFC and MMA enent ever was Saturday in Australia?? eh no!!!! they were booing cos it was a shocking bad match JOE! and they have TV, internet etc. Like the UFC is the only MMA worthy federation in town!
    Not everyone but there was lot of new fans there. Probably a much higher % than a typical event. A lot hadn't a clue what was going on half the time.

But that was also an awful fight.
    also it was commented on the lack of atmosphere, not as blunt as that but you could hear a pin drop.. so much so, that if you play the fourth round in the co main even, I'd swear on my mortgage, they added the sound from an audio tape, maybe from a football match, to make it better. have a listen if you get the chance, it's bizarre and the crowds noise is not in sync with matters in the octagon, then as if by magic, id disappears!!!!!

You would have just lost a sizeable bet. I know exactly what part you're on about, that was the real crowd noise. It was a mexican wave, it did about 3 or 4 laps of the stadium during the co-main. That's why it wasn't synced up with octagon action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Holm via Submission
    Some amount of moaning about new votes in the poll after the fight, some hipster crap going on there.

It isn't people pretending to be smart, its just new people hearing about a shock result and coming in to read the thread, and if there is a poll in a thread then OCD makes you pick one of the options.

Thats all it is, not some flood of people thinking they are great at predicting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Mellor wrote: »
    Not everyone but there was lot of new fans there. Probably a much higher % than a typical event. A lot hadn't a clue what was going on half the time.

But that was also an awful fight.

You would have just lost a sizeable bet. I know exactly what part you're on about, that was the real crowd noise. It was a mexican wave, it did about 3 or 4 laps of the stadium during the co-main. That's why it wasn't synced up with octagon action.

I too thought it was fake crowd noise. It makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Holm via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    The poll for this thread has 61 votes now for Holm by KO!!! Before the fight this morning I think it was 11. So 50 people (give or take) have come in and voted after the fight was over!!

WHY??

****s and giggles, I predicted right too! Honest.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Some amount of moaning about new votes in the poll after the fight, some hipster crap going on there.

Can you explain what you mean about it being 'hipster' crap?

I dunno, I see the wave thing but it all sounded very strange to me.
    not the best atmosphere really in OZ.

anyway the co main was very good. Joanna wasn't so emphatically clear on the victory as she expected to be, I found her a bit annoying for a newly crowned champ. her face told a different tale but still a nice win over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rousey via Decision
    I'm gonna vote Rousey by submission, just for giggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Rousey via Decision
    ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Was the ref a little slow to stop Holm getting a chance to land two potentially dangerous strikes to a knocked out Roussey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 WorldChampions

At last this happened no one was thinking of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WorldChampions

I'm gonna vote Rousey by submission, just for giggles.

No submission she KO'd herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Holm via Submission
    Also voted Holm for the craic.

Early days, but Nguyen looks like a serious contender already. Another new favourite fighter of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

That_Guy wrote: »

During the Struve/Rosholt fight, Struve was on his back inviting Rosholt to try and engage in a ground battle.

Crowd boos and Rogan says, "these are casual/new fans to the UFC and don't know what's going on. 'Heh heh, he's got his hands behind his head'."

Very condescending and doesn't help new fans trying to understand what's happening.

About minute before that Rogan compliments the crowd on being the msot "polite" crowd ever!
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    The guy himself said he hasn't had much contact since she left judo in 2009 so seems strange for him to be taking an interview about her now 6 years later.

Can make money off her name for first time in 6 years? Probably seems to make perfect sense to him.
    I haven't read all 903 posts and I'm not a big MMA watcher, but there's an amazing turnaround from the beginning of this thread in terms of support for Rousey.

From the beginning of the thread? :eek: More like from the second the fight ended! :D Just reading back from the posts and there are so many along the lines of "Even though I've said nothing up until this point I've really started going off Ronda lately....." lol, the poll(I understand through the many many posts) shows the same mentality

I'm absolutely delighted RR lost so decisively although I didn't expect it. Its funny I was watching some buildup show last week and she made reference to Tate running in punching like Bobby Boucher(Adam Sandler character) and Ronda's standup and wild swinging often looked the same on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Rousey via Decision
    I am really baffled by people who delight in a champions loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Holm via Submission

Because we think she's a prick. No mystery to this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Rousey via Decision

I'm all for people cheering for winners but when you've got people saying stuff like "delighted to see her get knocked the fck out" that's just poor form.

Funny how people hate her but love Conor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Rousey via Decision
    Saipanne wrote: »

I certainly don't.

She's done a lot of good for the sport. We'd be two divisions shorter without her. We'd have one less Irish person competing without her.

Rousey via Decision

She has done more in the sport and her life those who delight in her loss ever will.

Just thinking of people clapping in delight when those who have achieved more stumble shows a real weakness in character to me. I am sure most of these people have never trained or would have mental strength to fight themselves.

I am sure the same people are all lining up waiting for Conor to loose so they can share their delight also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Holm via Submission
    She has done more in the sport and her life those who delight in her loss ever will.
    Just thinking of people clapping in delight when those who have achieved more stumble shows a real weakness in character to me.

Its called taking sides. Its allowed. Why do people just not turn up to watch a premiership derby and applaud the other team for a performance befitting of acknowledgment.
    I am sure most of these people have never trained or would have mental strength to fight themselves.

Of course not. Do they have to in order to validate their opinion?.
    I am sure the same people are all lining up waiting for Conor to loose so they can share their delight also.

Thats just a very unnecessary and negative/bitter thing to assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Big difference between the 2 .

Conor comes across more of a pantomine villian and can be very entertaining at times . He is also very gracious in victory as we seen after the Mendes fight.

Rousey on the other hand has been a brat the last 6 months or so . Plain and simple . Delighted she lost . Hopefully she comes back as a better person and a better fighter.

Rousey via Decision
    Its called taking sides. Its allowed. Why do people just not turn up to watch a premiership derby and applaud the other team for a performance befitting of acknowledgment.

I am not a football fan.
    Of course not. Do they have to in order to validate their opinion?.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

If I was an artist I would respect an opinion of another artist far more highly than someone who has never lifted a brush.

I don't think jeering anyone's defeat in sport is admirable. Its not taking sides. Taking sides would be celebrating Holms victory not delighting in the loss of her opponent.

Thats just a very unnecessary and negative/bitter thing to assume

So I am the one being bitter and negative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Holm via Submission

That is the point in watching fights, without someone to cheer for it sucks
    i literally jumped about cheering uncontrollable because i felt the humble fighter won and the bully got her dues.

Just like people would if Floyd lost

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holm via Submission
    Ronda should bring in Floyd as her boxing coach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement