Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rousey via Submission
    Starting on 3E right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's incredible just how outclassed Ronda looked.

Chin up, hands down, out thought, out manoeuvred.

It looked like a pro versus an amateur. No joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Holm via Submission
    Trying to think back on biggest upsets in the ufc, Randy Tim silyva springs to mind as one of the big ones, GSP serra and cro cop gonzaga probably one of the most brutal headkicks I've seen. Everyone was expecting cro cop to land the head kick then bang gonzaga lands it. Cro cop just crumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

dave1982 wrote: »
    Trying to think back on biggest upsets in the ufc, Randy Tim silyva springs to mind as one of the big ones, GSP serra and cro cop gonzaga probably one of the most brutal headkicks I've seen. Everyone was expecting cro cop to land the head kick then bang gonzaga lands it. Cro cop just crumbled.

Weidman beating Silva was a pretty big shock at the time - I remember Silva was a very short price favourite with the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Holm via KO/TKO
    dave1982 wrote: »

BJ Penn choking out Matt Hughes at welterweight was a massive upset, Hughes was the champ and was expected to beat the much lighter BJ Penn but wasn't to be.
    More recent examples are Dillashaw vs Barao which was a huge upset at the time. Murmurings that Barao was one of the pound 4 pound best fighters around before they fought.Dillashaw schooled him. Also Dos Anjos vs Pettis was another major upset, Pettis being the next big thing was royally battered by RDA over 5 rounds.Holms win is definitely up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's incredible just how outclassed Ronda looked.

Chin up, hands down, out thought, out manoeuvred.

It looked like a pro versus an amateur. No joke.

Totally agree she didn't look her usual self for most part it looked like she was totally unprepared for the fight ,
    Didn't think I'd see another figter stop one of her take downs and then get taken down in return,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't think she was unprepared, she knew what Holm would try and do, she just thought she would be able to bullrush and grapple her way to victory like always, her stand up is incredibly sloppy the more you look at it and this rushing straight ahead to get in to a clinch wildly was exposed badly against a boxer with really good footwork.

She has been so far ahead of the division for so long it is a shock of course, but the blueprint to beat Ronda has been there, it is another thing to go out there and do it. Holm fought a fantastic fight and was basically flawless for the entirety of it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    Listening to the Rogan/Hinchcliffe/Dana podcast now, Joe rightly called out Edmond for giving bad advice in the corner between rounds, reckons he should have been honest with her and he doesn't think Edmond is a real MMA coach and that was part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Styles really do make fights at the end of the day and I think Holly just has Ronda's number. I'd fancy her in a rematch too.

Big props to Valerie Letourneau though. Proved that she's tough as hell, Joanna finishes most 115 women, Valerie put up a decent fight imo, Alot better than Penne or Esparza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Rousey via Submission
    Ronda's ex manager that is suing her has tweeted a link to his instagram post from 7 months ago.

Screenshot_1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Holm via Submission
    Listening to the Rogan/Hinchcliffe/Dana podcast now, Joe rightly called out Edmond for giving bad advice in the corner between rounds, reckons he should have been honest with her and he doesn't think Edmond is a real MMA coach and that was part of the problem.

Yet a few weeks ago Rogan was licking Ronda/Edmund ass over how great their Fighter/Coach partnership was on his podcast. Lol

Joe and Dana need to get over pretty quickly that Ronda lost, and I mean she got beat. I felt Dana's post fight interview with Olivi was embarrassing.
    In essence a back and forth on how and why ronda lost or more to the point, how could she lose!? I thought that interview was a farce, no real acknowledgment from either on Holly's performance let alone her winning the title. Ceo should be neutral yet I think Dana is pro Ronda, like Rogan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    ken wrote: »
    Ronda's ex manager that is suing her has tweeted a link to his instagram post from 7 months ago.

Screenshot_1.png

Whether you like or her not that's kinda cheap tbh he's glorying in her defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Just seen in Rogans podcast giving out saying he wants to pluck all the haters out of our culture for picking on Ronda after her loss. In the same podcast he says Cyborg can make 135 if she cuts off her dick. You can't make this stuff up. Absolute hypocrite, apparently calling Cyborg a man is fair game but people who make fun of Ronda are super bad. Really think he's starting to do more harm than good to anyone he hypes up.

Edit: was actually Tim Hinccliffe on Rogans podcast, but Rogan had a great chuckle.

12219436_181487578860388_2383716649418286336_n.jpg?oh=81de63247d5e96a25a49b12bab728c36&oe=56EB33D2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey via Submission
    Just seen in Rogans podcast giving out saying he wants to pluck all the haters out of our culture for picking on Ronda after her loss. In the same podcast he says Cyborg can make 135 if she cuts off her dick. You can't make this stuff up. Absolute hypocrite, apparently calling Cyborg a man is fair game but people who make fun of Ronda are super bad. Really think he's starting to do more harm than good to anyone he hypes up.

Edit: was actually Tim Hinccliffe on Rogans podcast, but Rogan had a great chuckle.

I've always had the opinion he's a twat of the highest order. Hopefully everyone will see it's true now. Must be awful hard for him to say anything with Dana's shaft so far down his throat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey via Submission
    Can't believe I've only seen this now, I'm in tears! :D

hjilisg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    With those oblique kicks you could, deliberately trying to damage someones knees is pretty dirty.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Injuries do happen yes but if you're intentionally trying to injure someone (outside the normal parameters of a fight) then that is a dirty tactic.
    Who is deliberating trying to injure opponents with obliques kicks? What are you basing that on? Why are oblique kicks not the normal parameters of a fight (compare to any other kick).

Has anyone been injured from an oblique kick in the UFC? I don't think they have. But even if there was, I'm not sure why you've jumped to the conclusion that it's deliberate.
    Right hooks have probably cause more injuries any other technique.
    Spin kicks and broken ribs.

As for Holly's oblique kicks, Jack Slack in his breakdown of how to beat Ronda (back in July) said;
    Side stepping and snapping out non-commital jabs and oblique kicks seems to be the best idea against Rousey who has never been difficult to hit and whom I sincerely doubt has the gas tank to bull rush for three rounds, let alone five. And that's all a Rousey opponent really needs, for the bull rushes to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Rousey via Decision
    Really interesting breakdown of the fight by Firas Zahabi

*edit that video was taken down literally while I was watching it it would seem.

I'm sure it'll pop up on youtube again today though, search for it.

Rousey via Decision
    Sh*t. I had that bookmarked for later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Rousey via Decision
    Nice breakdown of the fight here on VICE too

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/how-holly-holm-killed-queen-ronda-rousey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Ceo should be neutral yet I think Dana is pro Ronda, like Rogan.

He's pro-money.

While a rematch will be lucrative, he just saw one of his cash cows lose decisively. In his mind, I'm sure he sees the loss as many millions of dollars being flushed down the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    Damn UFC taking down the Firas video. The truth is out there!

I watched this fight again and although she lost and was shown to have a weaker stand up game, there's a few points she gets at holm and holm feels it, stutters a bit.

also, I know you can fight within the confines of the octagon, but she must have annoyed fook out of rousey, if she had a pedometer it would explode, she ran an awful lot, not knocking it as a tactic but I personally hate fighters like that. jesus if you look at rousey she was run ragged though and peppered like a minute steak. those straights down the pipe were shocking stuff, zero head movement too. she played into a longer reach and paid a heavy price.

maybe she should have done a Diaz and sat down goading holm to stay within the mid range of the octagon, thereby getting the crowd on side. in saying that I suppose it would be like refusing to fight unless the opponent did it your way rather than outsmarted you.

bet she wished she touched hollys gloves at the start, I suppose in the end she did WITH HER FACE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rousey via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Whats this sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Holm via KO/TKO

12219436_181487578860388_2383716649418286336_n.jpg?oh=81de63247d5e96a25a49b12bab728c36&oe=56EB33D2

Also in fairness to Dana he stayed quiet during that segment, I'm sure he was smiling but he didn't mention or audibly laugh at the joke imo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Holm via Submission
    always loved watching ronda fight, always so much excitement watching how dominate she was and as a fighter I'm a big fan
    as a person absolutely not
    I am delighted for holly though, she's a totally different girl
    it's unlikely it'll go to her head

no matter how much hate you have someone, when an opponent you just beat up offers to shake your hand and you refuse...there is nothing worse imo...not a hug just a bloody handshake
    that made me sick to my stomach
    now if it were beth I'd understand...

14lhqgl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    mailburner wrote: »
    no matter how much hate you have someone, when an opponent you just beat up offers to shake your hand and you refuse...there is nothing worse imo...not a hug just a bloody handshake
    that made me sick to my stomach
    now if it were beth I'd understand...

You've a weak stomach.

I'd rather see the touching of gloves before the bout banned tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Rousey via Decision
    rusty cole wrote: »
    I watched this fight again and although she lost and was shown to have a weaker stand up game, there's a few points she gets at holm and holm feels it, stutters a bit.

also, I know you can fight within the confines of the octagon, but she must have annoyed fook out of rousey, if she had a pedometer it would explode, she ran an awful lot, not knocking it as a tactic but I personally hate fighters like that. jesus if you look at rousey she was run ragged though and peppered like a minute steak. those straights down the pipe were shocking stuff, zero head movement too. she played into a longer reach and paid a heavy price.

maybe she should have done a Diaz and sat down goading holm to stay within the mid range of the octagon, thereby getting the crowd on side. in saying that I suppose it would be like refusing to fight unless the opponent did it your way rather than outsmarted you.

bet she wished she touched hollys gloves at the start, I suppose in the end she did WITH HER FACE!

Kalib Starnes ran. Holly Holm executed an excellent game plan that involved out fighting, cutting angles, and in fighting when necessary (that elbow and the take down are perfect examples) against an opponent known for bullrushing, clinching and throwing.

Rousey via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think Firas took it down. Not the UFC.
    Maybe she's moved to Tristar already. She should imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Holm via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    I think Firas took it down. Not the UFC.
    Maybe she's moved to Tristar already. She should imo.

UFC copyright claim took it down.

Rousey via Decision
    Davei141 wrote: »
    UFC copyright claim took it down.
    You sure?
    When I tried to watch it said it was taken down by the uploader. When it's copyright, it usually says due to a copyright claim by Zuffa/Sony/etc.

Edit: maybe it's a international difference here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

You sure?
    When I tried to watch it said it was taken down by the uploader. When it's copyright, it usually says due to a copyright claim by Zuffa/Sony/etc.

What is the video ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Holm via Submission
    TheNap wrote: »
    What is the video ?

A break down he did of the fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Rousey via Decision

That was in the context of what jokes you would tell in a UFC roast, after Dana said he was thinking of putting one together. It's not like they just came out and said it to be mean for no reason.

I think Dana said he wasn't sure if fighters could handle insult comedy, which apparently they can't if Cyborg's response is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Holm via Submission
    You sure?

Yeah checked again defo says ufc copyright claim.

Holm via Submission
    Standman wrote: »
    That was in the context of what jokes you would tell in a UFC roast, after Dana said he was thinking of putting one together. It's not like they just came out and said it to be mean for no reason.

I think Dana said he wasn't sure if fighters could handle insult comedy, which apparently they can't if Cyborg's response is anything to go by.

Yeah people who beat each other up for a living ripping the piss out of each other doesn't seem like the best idea to me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Holm via Submission
    Just voted on Holm by KO, what did i win?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Rousey was schooled. The rematch if there is one will be the same. Once to have the skill to keep it at distance then this is what happen's. Holm is an excellent kick boxer. Rousey also took her lightly as she was gased the start of the second round. Delighted for Holm Rousey a good fighter but no class. Not shaking hands before hand was pathetic. She won't be taking her lightly in a rematch but as i said she will destroy her again. Holm is a class operator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Also if anyone is reading Dillian Whyte round 1 2 3 is 80/1 each round to take out Joshua who he beat in the amateur ranks. Joshua hasn't been hit yet. Whyte will connect at some stage.

Holm via Submission
    https://vimeo.com/145982426 - Firas video on Vimeo. Password r/mma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Holm via Submission
    You've a weak stomach.

I'd rather see the touching of gloves before the bout banned tbh.

why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Who is deliberating trying to injure opponents with obliques kicks?

Sorry if this is taking things back off topic but I can see why these types of attacks are classed as more "dirty" than others.

Usually, if you attack a joint you are applying the pressure (somewhat) gradually and your opponent has the chance to tap and avoid injury.
    With techniques like the oblique kicks and particularly the shoulder wrench that Jones used against Glover, there's no opportunity for the opponent to tap really, if the technique is used to it's full effect, you've got an injury.

ibjY8t7unwLoEg.gif

knee.gif

If we agree that some techniques shouldn't be allowed because they're too dangerous, I would include these techniques on that list.
    Or if we don't agree that, then should MMA also not have kicks to a downed opponent? Headbutting? Eye gouging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Rousey was schooled. The rematch if there is one will be the same.

Not necessarily. I'm sure Ronda will take a lot way from this fight too and work on her game. She looked soft going into that fight. Sort a few things out, get a new coach, and the rematch will be well worth watching.
    I know people called the way to beat Ronda but how come no one listened until Holm?

Standman wrote: »

well considering how half the Go big panel reacted to McGregor opinions however misguided, I doubt it. Although the nature of said roasting may be a lot more relaxed in a different forum where the context is changed.

anyway, fook roasting, leave that to downward spiral z listers and wife beating athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’m intrigued with how people have swung so quickly from Ronda is going to absolutely destroy her to her to now not giving her a chance in a rematch. Is it jumping from one bandwagon to another?

I know this was a one sided beating but we saw Holly fight well above anything we’ve seen from her in the UFC (lucky to get a split decision over Pennington) and Ronda look a shadow of what we’ve seen in her career.

Maybe Holm has her number (like Dillashaw over Barao) but it’s quite possible Holly had a perfect camp/hurt her very early while Ronda had a terrible camp/poor advice/overlooked her. With this sort of swing in both fighters’ performance levels I don’t know how anyone can be so certain of what would happen in a rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Holm via Submission
    Sorry if this is taking things back off topic but I can see why these types of attacks are classed as more "dirty" than others.

Usually, if you attack a joint you are applying the pressure (somewhat) gradually and your opponent has the chance to tap and avoid injury.
    With techniques like the oblique kicks and particularly the shoulder wrench that Jones used against Glover, there's no opportunity for the opponent to tap really, if the technique is used to it's full effect, you've got an injury.

You can always verbally tap, not that common but it has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Holm via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

darced wrote: »
    Plenty have been going on about the glaring weakness in Ronda's game,her terrible striking,but where unsure if anyone had the power to hurt her.

Holm obviously has that power plus Ronda didnt react great to getting hit so its hard to see her turning it around unless she can get the fight to the ground.

Her Judo didnt look near as effective against someone bigger and stronger either.

Agreed. I was one of the people who thought Ronda would walk it but I think this just proves that styles make fights. Holm didn't dominate against other supposed worse fighters that Ronda likely would've gone through pretty easy.

The size also can't be played down. Ronda walks around at 150 I'd say, Cat Zingano can't be more walking around at much over 135. That can make a huge difference when it comes to defending takedowns. A lot of the female fighters in the bantamweight division are naturally 125ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holm via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Ronda should bring in Floyd as her boxing coach.

Floyd just offered to be Ronda's boxing coach

I predict deeze tings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just voted on Holm by KO, what did i win?

A kick in the balls!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

We saw the same with JDS and Cain in their first fight, JDS stopped Cain’s attempt at a takedown and lit him up on the feet but then we saw what happened in the rematches.

Holm has never been overly lauded, or her record shown great success, from the power in her hands and Ronda has eaten shots from other fighters with little damage. Taking out Saturday I don’t see any evidence that Holm is a stronger puncher than the fighters Ronda faced in the past. To me Ronda didn’t look right from early so I don’t think it’s too out there to say that her performance in all facets was affected from a shot she took during the early exchanges.

We can then argue whether it’s that Ronda can’t take a punch and has been lucky up until this point to not be hurt or that Holm, who hasn’t shown massive power in the past, was lucky to hurt her so early. The truth is probably somewhere in between so I just don’t see how with so little evidence people can seem so sure.

Advertisement