Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Foxtrol wrote: »
    We saw the same with JDS and Cain in their first fight, JDS stopped Cain’s attempt at a takedown and lit him up on the feet but then we saw what happened in the rematches.

Holm has never been overly lauded, or her record shown great success, from the power in her hands and Ronda has eaten shots from other fighters with little damage. Taking out Saturday I don’t see any evidence that Holm is a stronger puncher than the fighters Ronda faced in the past. To me Ronda didn’t look right from early so I don’t think it’s too out there to say that her performance in all facets was affected from a shot she took during the early exchanges.

We can then argue whether it’s that Ronda can’t take a punch and has been lucky up until this point to not be hurt or that Holm, who hasn’t shown massive power in the past, was lucky to hurt her so early. The truth is probably somewhere in between so I just don’t see how with so little evidence people can seem so sure.

Holm was one of the best welterweight female boxers in the world and has 33 pro wins. Female boxer of the year twice in Ring magazine. She's a mile puncher better than anyone Ronda has faced. I mean Ronda has fought people who started MMA as adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    Holm was one of the best welterweight female boxers in the world and has 33 pro wins. Female boxer of the year twice in Ring magazine. She's a mile puncher better than anyone Ronda has faced. I mean Ronda has fought people who started MMA as adults.

The fact that Bethe Correia went from chubby office worker to professional with a title shot within a few years proves that there's a serious lack of depth in that division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    One for fans of Fallout. Ronda using VATS :pac:

12243456_1088885587801984_3725936056542799067_n.jpg?oh=297dff5c26ee915731801b6786dd8a73&oe=56F69C55

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Have you looked at her record? Being a strong technical boxer is not the same as having punching power.

Holm has faced a lower level of MMA fighters than Ronda and has KO’d less of them with her hands; sure even the ‘chubby office worker’ has a better MMA record of KOs due to punches than Holm.

This time last week everyone was talking down her punching power and after one performance she’s suddenly a heavy handed KO monster.

Rousey via Decision
    Have you looked at her record? Being a strong technical boxer is not the same as having punching power.

Holm has faced a lower level of MMA fighters than Ronda and has KO’d less of them with her hands; sure even the ‘chubby office worker’ has a better MMA record of KOs due to punches than Holm.

This time last week everyone was talking down her punching power and after one performance she’s suddenly a heavy handed KO monster.

It's volume of punches, accuracy of punches, angles, movement... the technical stuff, that makes her a better puncher than everyone else. Ronda probably has more power in that wild right hook than Holm has in her straight left but the difference is that Holm landed it every single time.

Holm's power isn't in her hands, it's in her feet. She nearly decapitated Ronda with that head kick.

• Advertisement

It's volume of punches, accuracy of punches, angles, movement... the technical stuff, that makes her a better puncher than everyone else. Ronda probably has more power in that wild right hook than Holm has in her straight left but the difference is that Holm landed it every single time.

Holm's power isn't in her hands, it's in her feet. She nearly decapitated Ronda with that head kick.

Her technical punching would be relevant if I hadn’t been responding to someone who stated that she had the power to hurt Ronda and I hadn’t specifically posted about her punching power.

Ronda looked hurt from the first round and I don’t remember a head kick hitting her flush at that stage. Holly hurt her with her hands which is something we’ve seen little evidence of from her previous fights and Ronda has shown in the past that she can take shots.

I still await how this is a trend that means she cant win a rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Holm via Submission
    I’m intrigued with how people have swung so quickly from Ronda is going to absolutely destroy her to her to now not giving her a chance in a rematch.

Because they, you know...watched the fight.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Because they, you know...watched the fight.

Cain vs JDS

How did the next two fights between the two of them turn out?

Some of the reactions are incredibly knee jerk

Holm via Submission
    Cain vs JDS

How did the next two fights between the two of them turn out?

You mean the same Cain JDS that lasted a minute, with Velasquez landing more strikes and Velasquez getting knocked out with the first punch that connected? Dillashaw Barao comparison is way more apt.

Btw kneejerk would be calling Rousey rubbish. Kneejerk is not saying on evidence Holm has her number stylistically.

You mean the same Cain JDS that lasted a minute, with Velasquez landing more strikes and Velasquez getting knocked out with the first punch that connected? Dillashaw Barao comparison is way more apt.

Btw kneejerk would be calling Rousey rubbish. Kneejerk is not saying on evidence Holm has her number stylistically.

Watch it again, JDS landed way more than one shot and stopped a takedown from Cain. Just because he stopped Cain’s attempt it did not translate to Cain being unable to take him down in the rematches. To me Ronda looked off from early in the fight, so like Cain, I think she was hurt with one of the early shots but in her case not finished at that stage.

The rematch could easily end up being like the Dillashaw Barao 2 but it could be like the many other rematches we’ve seen where the loser of the first comes back and wins the rematch.

I think it’s incredibly naïve to think Ronda has no chance in a rematch based nearly solely on the evidence of one fight, up there with the naivety of those who thought Ronda was the invincible best fighter in history.

Kneejerk is saying she has no chance in a rematch. People really need to calm down with their hyperbole.

• Advertisement

Holm via Submission
    Watch it again, JDS landed way more than one shot and stopped a takedown from Cain. Just because he stopped Cain’s attempt it did not translate to Cain being unable to take him down in the rematches. To me Ronda looked off from early in the fight, so like Cain, I think she was hurt with one of the early shots but in her case not finished at that stage.

The rematch could easily end up being like the Dillashaw Barao 2 but it could be like the many other rematches we’ve seen where the loser of the first comes back and wins the rematch.

I think it’s incredibly naïve to think Ronda has no chance in a rematch based nearly solely on the evidence of one fight, up there with the naivety of those who thought Ronda was the invincible best fighter in history.

Kneejerk is saying she has no chance in a rematch. People really need to calm down with their hyperbole.

I literally watched it again before I commented. Cain didn't even try to take JDS down there was some half arsed leg grab that he did nothing with. Nothing in that fight suggested JDS was dominating (the whole minute it lasted) till he knocked out Cain.

Of course she has a chance but on evidence of what we saw its more likely to be Dillashaw Barao 2 than JDS Cain 1. Saying Ronda looked off is a bit of a cop out. She looked off because she was getting punched in the face by a superior striker who could keep it standing and was well prepared with a perfect game-plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    Missed Firas' breakdown of the fight before it was pulled on YouTube. Anywhere else I can see it please lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Holm via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

I literally watched it again before I commented. Cain didn't even try to take JDS down there was some half arsed leg grab that he did nothing with. Nothing in that fight suggested JDS was dominating (the whole minute it lasted) till he knocked out Cain.

Of course she has a chance but on evidence of what we saw its more likely to be Dillashaw Barao 2 than JDS Cain 1. Saying Ronda looked off is a bit of a cop out. She looked off because she was getting punched in the face by a superior striker who could keep it standing and was well prepared with a perfect game-plan.

You’re twisting things to suit yourself, firstly saying that JDS took him out with the ‘first punch that connected’ when he clearly connected with him prior to that, now his takedown attempt was ‘half arsed’. If you’re comparing it to some of his more explosive takedown attempts then it was, just like Ronda’s attempts on Holly weren’t near as explosive as we’ve seen.

How is saying she looked off a cop out? You can disagree but to me she looked like she was hurt from early in the fight. If this was from someone who was known to have heavy hands then I’d be a lot more skeptical of her chances again but Holly isn’t known this.

The evidence you cite is a case where Holly looked better than we’ve ever seen and Ronda look much worse, so I just don’t place the same faith in it as you do.

My specific point was towards the several posters who claimed that Ronda had no chance in rematch (specifically those who were saying Holly had no chance before the fight) so I’m not sure why you’re arguing if you agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Rousey via Decision

it's not so much a case of holm having mad knockout power, more that ronda walked straight into her punches several times. even tame jabs will hurt when you do that. and it was a kick that got the final knockout, which holm has done a few times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Da.kid

Firas's analysis focused on Holly's posture being maintained throughout grappling exchanges, keeping her hips lower than ronda's to stop the throws and her elbows tucked tightly to counteract the armbar.

I'm a happy man because Ronda is just someone I have not liked since her apperance on TUF and the proclamation from Joe rogan that she is "once in history" was ridiculous considering anyone with a knowledge of combat sports could see the holes in her stand up game. Against Bethe correia she threw wild shots and crossed her feet but the quick finish papered over the serious holes in her striking! Shes looks too tense in her stance and that has to exspend a lot of enery. In saying this I expected a submission win for her due to domination but my god she was shown up. The thing is, she showed nothing against Holm to indicate she could win a rematch. She was chasing for the takedown all fight and had a two on one grip on Holm's left arm at one stage and couldn't advance to a clinch. She eats way too many shots trying to close the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

There you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

srumball wrote: »
    https://vimeo.com/145982426 - Firas video on Vimeo. Password r/mma
    Paully D wrote: »
    Missed Firas' breakdown of the fight before it was pulled on YouTube. Anywhere else I can see it please lads?

There you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Holm via Submission
    A simple theory I've always believed in:
    No matter how good somebody is, there is ALWAYS somebody better out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Submission
    Firas releasing a new video shortly. Must check out that link above, Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Holm via Submission
    Enjoyable - https://streamable.com/4pyk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    Yeah checked again defo says ufc copyright claim.

Strange, still says user for me.
    You mean the same Cain JDS that lasted a minute, with Velasquez landing more strikes and Velasquez getting knocked out with the first punch that connected?
    And everyone ridiculous jumped on the JDS bandwagon.
    The difference in odds from the first to second fight was insane.
    People make kneejerk reactions when if comes to matches like that. Nobody is saying Holm shouldn't be face. But the odds will likely be ridiculous at times.

Are people forgetting that this fight went to the ground in the first few minutes. If Ronda finished that armbar, which was pretty possible most other days, then people would have a massively different opinion.
    Personally I think she was rocked from the elbow just before and technique got sloppy. That's a really small event that potentially changed the fight outcome. I'm not sure why everyone is now thinking it's impossible that she coulkd ever finish from there.

Rousey via Decision
    Usually, if you attack a joint you are applying the pressure (somewhat) gradually and your opponent has the chance to tap and avoid injury.
    In training or white belt competitions, people should give opponents a chance to tap. But at a professional level, that aren't really applying subs gradually. Once its in place, they are going for it fairly full boot. Hesitate and it's giving them a chance to escape imo.
    Regardless, there's a huge difference between kicking a joint and manually hyperextending it.
    With techniques like the oblique kicks and particularly the shoulder wrench that Jones used against Glover, there's no opportunity for the opponent to tap really, if the technique is used to it's full effect, you've got an injury.
    I'll go back to my original point. It that is actually true, then where are these injuries?

I can only see one gif you posted. Vera front kicking Jardine's knee. Jardine won that fight iirc. It looks bad on a slow down gif, but I don't think it blew out his knee or anything. I don't think Jones has injured anyone. Nor has Conduit afaik.

Double leg takedowns cause a lot of blown knees - Cruz, GSP, McGregor, Evans, Conduit. (Obviously there's a lot more DLTDs performed.
    If we agree that some techniques shouldn't be allowed because they're too dangerous,
    I absolutely agree with at that. I think the current banned attacks should all be banned because they are dangerous.
    If oblique kicks were blowing knees all the time, I'd agree that they should be banned. But as far as I can see, they aren't causing injures. Maybe its too small a sample, maybe in the future the injury rate will skyrocket. And if that happens I'll change my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Rousey via Decision
    whats the rules regarding punching in the back of the head?
    watching the last exchange holly seemed to punch ronda in the back of the head
    fight would have ended in the next few seconds anyhow but just curious

Rousey via Decision
    Tigger wrote: »
    whats the rules regarding punching in the back of the head?
    watching the last exchange holly seemed to punch ronda in the back of the head
    fight would have ended in the next few seconds anyhow but just curious

The illegal strike zones are as follows. Holm hit her in the side of the head, not the back.

Illegal_Striking_Zones_PIC_large_medium.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Rousey via Decision
    The illegal strike zones are as follows. Holm hit her in the side of the head, not the back.

Illegal_Striking_Zones_PIC_large_medium.jpg

i see that if its to the left of that center area and above the ears (which it was ) its ok but if she had accidentally hit inside that area what would happen as punishment?

Rousey via Decision
    i see that if its to the left of that center area and above the ears (which it was ) its ok but if she had accidentally hit inside that area what would happen as punishment?

Warning the first time, maybe the second, eventually be disqualified.

Refs will see it different as well.

Mark Hunt's knockout of bigfoot the other night could have been called as an illegal strike by the wrong ref.

Rousey via Decision

If the illegal strike directly resulted in the KO then it's ruled a No Contest.
    But if the the opponent was essentially finished/knocked down by a previous (legal) strike, or series of strikes, and took an inadvertent back of the head shot during a final flurry. Then the result is general the same as it didn't change the outcome.

Holm via Submission
    You’re twisting things to suit yourself, firstly saying that JDS took him out with the ‘first punch that connected’ when he clearly connected with him prior to that, now his takedown attempt was ‘half arsed’. If you’re comparing it to some of his more explosive takedown attempts then it was, just like Ronda’s attempts on Holly weren’t near as explosive as we’ve seen.

How is saying she looked off a cop out? You can disagree but to me she looked like she was hurt from early in the fight. If this was from someone who was known to have heavy hands then I’d be a lot more skeptical of her chances again but Holly isn’t known this.

The evidence you cite is a case where Holly looked better than we’ve ever seen and Ronda look much worse, so I just don’t place the same faith in it as you do.

My specific point was towards the several posters who claimed that Ronda had no chance in rematch (specifically those who were saying Holly had no chance before the fight) so I’m not sure why you’re arguing if you agree with me.

I'm twisting? You altered how JDS Cain went down to suit your theory.

"She looked like she was hurt early from the fight". This was a few solid technical punches that Holly can throw all day long and will do in the next fight. You keep mentioning heavy hands and that Holly doesn't have them (which i'm failing to see why that matters at all even if it is not true?) yet who has Ronda faced on the same level of boxing? Nobody. Hell i wouldn't be surprised if the only person who actually punched her (more than once on a bum rush) was Miesha Tate who has 3 ko's on her record out of 17. So i don't know how you can say she looked off, she just hasn't been lit up like that before.

Also this was someone who thought they were invincible and got shut down for 6 minutes and then KTFO. There is no telling what this will do to Ronda. Holly also has another 6-8 months of drilling for the rematch with some of the best coaches in the world. Not saying Ronda doesn't have a chance but Holly is favourite in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Holm via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    Strange, still says user for me.

And everyone ridiculous jumped on the JDS bandwagon.
    The difference in odds from the first to second fight was insane.
    People make kneejerk reactions when if comes to matches like that. Nobody is saying Holm shouldn't be face. But the odds will likely be ridiculous at times.

Are people forgetting that this fight went to the ground in the first few minutes. If Ronda finished that armbar, which was pretty possible most other days, then people would have a massively different opinion.
    Personally I think she was rocked from the elbow just before and technique got sloppy. That's a really small event that potentially changed the fight outcome. I'm not sure why everyone is now thinking it's impossible that she coulkd ever finish from there.

Don't quote me on this but from listening to various media over the past few days i'm sure i heard that Rousey would be the favourite again.

Rousey via Decision
    Don't quote me on this but from listening to various media over the past few days i'm sure i heard that Rousey would be the favourite again.

She already is favourite, some bookies in the states are already offering a market on the fight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Rousey via Decision
    Still favourite but they've cut Holly down considerably and rightly so.

Odds.jpg

Rousey via Decision

Surprised by that, id expect a crazy swing the other way by fight night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    Surprised by that, id expect a crazy swing the other way by fight night

So would I.

For someone who relies (relied) on her Judo she almost totally abandoned it against Holmes and what Holmes used to nullify Rousey's Judo is so basic I could hardly believe Rousey wasn't laughing at it.

I don't know what happened to Rousey that night and I can only think that either her camp was crap and she thought she'd outbox a boxer, or if thats Rouseys real level I can't see how she's going to make up the gap to beat Holmes in a rematch.

What happened to Rousey's judo that night is what I'd like to know.

She used no footwork or combinations, even her failed hip throw would have been immediately turned into a backwards throw by any Judoka and she failed to even try.

Its either change coach & back to basics for Ronda or a rematch is going to be her retirement package.

A final thought. I think Ronda was shocked at how accurate and powerful a boxer can be when they're that good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Holm is an excellent fighter. Rhonda could have had an off fight. But she also could have been very average fighter's up till now. The woman's mma fighting is only really getting going. Level of fighter is going to improve. Holm is so accurate. Accuracy is hugh in boxing and it was the level of punch's connecting that done Rhonda.

I don't think she knew what to do. For a rematch she will obviously change her tactics however i don't see how she can beat her. Holm also looked in so much better shape. Rhonda may have taken Holm lightly and not put the work in. She was gased the start of round two. That tells a story. Rematch is going to happen but can only seeing it going one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Holm via Submission
    at that price the value is with holm at 7/4
    was expecting somewhere around the 5/4 11/8 myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

So would I.

For someone who relies (relied) on her Judo she almost totally abandoned it against Holmes and what Holmes used to nullify Rousey's Judo is so basic I could hardly believe Rousey wasn't laughing at it.

I don't know what happened to Rousey that night and I can only think that either her camp was crap and she thought she'd outbox a boxer, or if thats Rouseys real level I can't see how she's going to make up the gap to beat Holmes in a rematch.

What happened to Rousey's judo that night is what I'd like to know.

She used no footwork or combinations, even her failed hip throw would have been immediately turned into a backwards throw by any Judoka and she failed to even try.

Its either change coach & back to basics for Ronda or a rematch is going to be her retirement package.

A final thought. I think Ronda was shocked at how accurate and powerful a boxer can be when they're that good.

She never had footwork or combinations before. Watch her last fight. She throws 3 right hands. Each one is god awful.

Bethe pivots away from the first one and Ronda goes FLYING past her.

She can't box at all and never could.

I think she was so flustered by someone who couod actually hurt her and keep distance that any semblance of a proper gameplan went out the window.

She showed no composure or disciplined mentality and continually chased Holm around the ring like a headless chicken, just like she did her other opponents - only this time her bullrush failed epically.

It was an embarassing performance in all respects. Kudos to Holm for making a fool of Rousey so readily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Holm via Submission
    my whole view on this is its just after confirming the whole one-trick-pony aspect of rondas game, brilliant at her hip toss and a proper predator for armbars, but past that she just doesnt have much more in her wheelhouse, big part of the problem aswel is edmond filling her head with ****, really needs shot of him in a big way, also re the weigh in antics and all that, it seems to me that ronda needs that personal grudge kinda thing to really get her going and that just wasnt happening with holm atal, no discredit to holly though she was amazing did everything perfectly and lets be honest made ronda look like one of the the bean cans that are usually fed to her! ronda seriously needs to go back to the drawing board and to be fair on holly ronda needs to earn her rematch. holly and miesha is the only fight thats fair for the minute. also did i mention i was number 6 for holm ko on the poll? :D

Rousey via Decision
    Gumbi wrote: »
    She never had footwork or combinations before. Watch her last fight. She throws 3 right hands. Each one is god awful.

Bethe pivots away from the first one and Ronda goes FLYING past her.

She can't box at all and never could..

Like I said earlier, few people recognized her footwork or combinations ~ Judo footwork and combinations.

I keep saying it, you simply can't throw someone without putting those things together (unless oppertunity presents itself).

She done nothing a judoka would recognize as a judo, unlike her previous fights where she used judo footwork and combinations to full effect.

I never mentioned boxing, I wouldn't know anything about boxing footwork or combinations.

I agree with the rest.. She looked very foolish running around after Holms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Holm via Submission
    I think she was so flustered by someone who couod actually hurt her and keep distance that any semblance of a proper gameplan went out the window.

spot on there and that makes the rematch more interesting
    she probably won't make that mistake again...whether it'll make any difference is another thing

have to say I'm looking forward to this one as much as conor/jose

• Advertisement

Like I said earlier, few people recognized her footwork or combinations ~ Judo footwork and combinations.

I keep saying it, you simply can't throw someone without putting those things together (unless oppertunity presents itself).

She done nothing a judoka would recognize as a judo, unlike her previous fights where she used judo footwork and combinations to full effect.

I never mentioned boxing, I wouldn't know anything about boxing footwork or combinations.

I agree with the rest.. She looked very foolish running around after Holms.

My apologies. You were referring to chaining of techniques? I agree. She didn't implement them,I think, because she ddidn't get a chance, and by the time she did get the clinch she was already dazed and overwhelmed by her inability to deal with eating left hand after left hand as she chased Holm around.

Disheartening to see the lack of discipline as well as technique...

Rousey via Decision
    My apologies. You were referring to chaining of techniques? I agree. She didn't implement them,I think, because she ddidn't get a chance, and by the time she did get the clinch she was already dazed and overwhelmed by her inability to deal with eating left hand after left hand as she chased Holm around.

Disheartening to see the lack of discipline as well as technique...

I agree, her whole attitude & demeanour was terrible.. Even at the weigh in she looked gaunt and soft compared to Holms who looked ripped and conditioned.

Ronda might also have to decide if she wants to be an actor or a fighter because I think Holmes has raised the bar so high that Ronda can't be a part time actor/fighter anylonger.

I agree, her whole attitude & demeanour was terrible.. Even at the weigh in she looked gaunt and soft compared to Holms who looked ripped and conditioned.

Ronda might also have to decide if she wants to be an actor or a fighter because I think Holmes has raised the bar so high that Ronda can't be a part time actor/fighter anylonger.

To be fair Holm is absolutely shredded, especially for a female. There's a video of her doing a muscle up on rings, with perfect form. That is legit.

I'm twisting? You altered how JDS Cain went down to suit your theory.

What are you talking about? Here’s a link to the fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK6H4ievsiQ

You said JDS KO’d him with the first punch which is just not true.

I said JDS stopped Cain’s attempt at a takedown and he did.
    "She looked like she was hurt early from the fight". This was a few solid technical punches that Holly can throw all day long and will do in the next fight. You keep mentioning heavy hands and that Holly doesn't have them (which i'm failing to see why that matters at all even if it is not true?) yet who has Ronda faced on the same level of boxing? Nobody. Hell i wouldn't be surprised if the only person who actually punched her (more than once on a bum rush) was Miesha Tate who has 3 ko's on her record out of 17. So i don't know how you can say she looked off, she just hasn't been lit up like that before.

How is it not true? Can you provide any evidence to back this up aside from Saturday? Holm has shown little in the way of power in her hands during her MMA career and her record of KOs in boxing isn’t very impressive. Few rated the power in her hands before this fight and I’m not going to flip that opinion after one match.
    Also this was someone who thought they were invincible and got shut down for 6 minutes and then KTFO. There is no telling what this will do to Ronda. Holly also has another 6-8 months of drilling for the rematch with some of the best coaches in the world.

And Ronda could be become incredibly focused, come into a rematch in great shape, have a better game plan. At the same time Holly may not have the perfect game plan and have everything in the fight go her way.
    Not saying Ronda doesn't have a chance but Holly is favourite in my eyes.

If you agree with me then why are you arguing with me? I’m not even saying Ronda should be the favorite, I’m saying that it’s completely knee jerk to write her off, say she has no chance, or that she should just retire now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holm via Submission
    It's definitely fair to say Holm isn't a power puncher.

She's a counter puncher who uses lateral movement and excellent footwork. She uses her stiff left jab to control the pace of the fight.

She only started knocking people out once she started kickboxing and MMA with those left roundhouse head kicks.

Ronda's face was a mess because of the volume of punches she ate and the fact that she walked into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Freddie Roach on RR "No one ever taught her anything about boxing it looked like". Also loved that he said he didn't see ALL of the (6/7 minute) fight but he did see the highlights.......so that would be the 2 vines of RR failing over and eating the headkick then??!!?? :D

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's definitely fair to say Holm isn't a power puncher.

She's a counter puncher who uses lateral movement and excellent footwork. She uses her stiff left jab to control the pace of the fight.

She only started knocking people out once she started kickboxing and MMA with those left roundhouse head kicks.

Ronda's face was a mess because of the volume of punches she ate and the fact that she walked into them.

Agree 100% Rousey doesn't know what "head off the centre line" means so every god damn time she leapt into the pocket she ate a head on left straight.

You don't have to hit someone hard for a shot to hurt if they walk into them every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

If your at the top to stay there you need to be 100% focused on training all the time. Lennox Lewis for example took a few guys likely over the years and got ko'd. Ended up beating them in the rematch. However Rosey for me has no or very little boxing skills. She will need to develop this part for a rematch. She was just picked off and didn't actually know what to do.

The rematch will be different if Rousey is motivated and hungry to comeback. Can't see her winning tough. Holm is an excellent fighter and so accurate. I'd say Rousey will suffer the same faith. However you never know Holm might not have the title. I hear Cyborg is very good. One things for sure at least the women's game is no longer a one sided affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

He could have a point. It was announced Rousey is out for 6 months. She could very well decide to call it quits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement