Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, she should, they did a great job with Cathals standup ;)

Ouch :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision

I was thinking it, but I didn't want to say it because I like the SBG lads too much :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rousey via Decision

Pow....you a bad man Scud :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Holm via Submission
    ligerleo wrote: »
    Rousey had beaten all of the top fighters in the division in the most dominant fashion. She just went out with the wrong fight plan against Holm, Ronda made the mistake of coming forward and trading with her. Holm is a counter puncher and I believe if Rousey was more patient she would have won the fight. We've seen that Holms striking is far less effective in her previous two fights where she was forced to be the aggressor. Its just one fight just because Buster Douglas beat Tyson does not mean he is remembered as been better. Rousey is capable of beating her in rematch if she changes her approach and uses her judo more.

she didn't go out with the wrong plan at all, her plan was to get in and get clinch which excactly what she needed to beat Holm, she couldn't get it due to Holm's Footwork and counter punches, if she had sat back it would have been a boxing match and would have been even easier for Holm, and she still would have had to go forward to clinch in that plan with the same end results.
    JJayoo wrote: »
    If there is a rematch i would like to see Holly add in a lot more leg kicks, really chop Ronda down

Yeah great idea if she wants to get taken down, Holly's game plan was perfect
    Boxing is ideal for beating Judo, Kicking not so much.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    cowzerp wrote: »
    she didn't go out with the wrong plan at all, her plan was to get in and get clinch which excactly what she needed to beat Holm, she couldn't get it due to Holm's Footwork and counter punches, if she had sat back it would have been a boxing match and would have been even easier for Holm, and she still would have had to go forward to clinch in that plan with the same end results.

Basically all this ^, as soon as she went to clinch holly stepped back and cracked her with a straight every single time. Ronda looked like she got hit by a truck after round one Holly found the target that much.

• Advertisement

Holm via Submission

As funny as that sounds, in reality Cathal's style is exactly what Rousey needed, Forget learning striking v Holm, not going to help at all as the gap is way to far to close it anything worthwhile

She needs/needed to get in and smother her and stop Holm's Boxing, easier said than done but that's her best and only hope of beating Holm.

Rousey won't be seen in the Octagon again in my opinion and is going to follow the real pioneer of WMMA Gina Carano into acting etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

As funny as that sounds, in reality Cathal's style is exactly what Rousey needed, Forget learning striking v Holm, not going to help at all as the gap is way to far to close it anything worthwhile

She needs/needed to get in and smother her and stop Holm's Boxing, easier said than done but that's her best and only hope of beating Holm.

Rousey won't be seen in the Octagon again in my opinion and is going to follow the real pioneer of WMMA Gina Carano into acting etc

What about pendreds style does she need?

He had the length to stay outside and do nothing while trying to avoid danger. Holm has the advantage over rousey in that department so she needs to negate that. Level changes and maybe shooting for a straight take down instead of clinching as holly seemed very strong when they clinched and used footwork.

Ronda's style was so good she never needed a game plan. She marched forward swinging got to clinch then a throw then arm bar.

If she is gong to rematch she needs a different coach to actually have a plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Rousey via Decision

They also have a UFC champion. ;)

Seriously though I think she would benefit working in a gym that focused on her strengths instead of spending a large amount of time trying to change her into a fighter that she is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

They also have a UFC champion. ;)

Seriously though I think she would benefit working in a gym that focused on her strengths instead of spending a large amount of time trying to change her into a fighter that she is not.

They should work on her weakness. Her judo is probably second nature. If her coach now solely works on standup, as reported, he has failed her miserably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Holly landed some nice kicks during the fight didn't see Ronda check one never mind threaten for a takedown.

Huge difference between judo and wrestling in regards to how they can defend/react to kicks. Plus holly has such good movement and is so long that she would be able to strike from distance and move.

Another factor with leg kicks is how well/experienced your opponent is with taking them. I can't remember ever seeing Ronda throw or check a kick and I can't imagine it happens much in training. So when you suddenly feel your legs getting hacked it can mess with you physically, obviously, but also mentally as you know you can't afford to take these kicks

I would also doubt it's possible for Ronda to improve her wrestling to the extent that she is dangerous for takedowns considering she has talked extensively about her knee issues.

Obviously Holly's boxing is excellent but the Jackson gym is all about game plans. I could imagine holly in the exchanges mixing in a few big fake rights getting Ronda to cover up and hacking the legs, get Ronda thinking about how vulnerable her legs/knees are which in turn would open her up for Holly's punches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Rousey via Decision

I think it was the wrong game plan, in so far as the execution. Rousey didnt look to cut off the octagon, put Holms back against the cage to prevent her fighting outside, use angles herself to slow Holm's movement. She simply plodded forward in straight lines and ate straight lefts while Holm cut angles and left Rousey looking over her shoulder as she slipped past.

I also dont honestly think that Tarverdyans game plan for her included any of the above. It was business as usual; push forward fast, throw some punches to get into clich range, throw and armbar.

What leads me to believe they never worked on the other aspects is that Rousey made no attempt to adapt her attack, and Tarverdyan gave no instructions at the break to that effect either.

Holm via Submission
    Holly landed some nice kicks during the fight didn't see Ronda check one never mind threaten for a takedown.

I recall 1 sidekick and the finishing kick in the whole fight.
    cletus wrote: »
    I think it was the wrong game plan, in so far as the execution. Rousey didnt look to cut off the octagon, put Holms back against the cage to prevent her fighting outside, use angles herself to slow Holm's movement. She simply plodded forward in straight lines and ate straight lefts while Holm cut angles and left Rousey looking over her shoulder as she slipped past.

Plan was correct, the skill to do the plan was lacking, the footwork for example was light years behind and the range sucked too, Holms is just made to beat Rousey, Stronger and has the skills to negate judo.

Rousey via Decision
    Huge difference between judo and wrestling in regards to how they can defend/react to kicks. .

Like what?.

Rousey via Decision
    I recall 1 sidekick and the finishing kick in the whole fight..

I recall her throwing some nice oblique kicks too.

Also as a point of interest which a lot of people seemed to miss. Holly was obviously schooled on how to prevent a Judoka (in the clinch) from turning it for a forward throw.

In the little time they clinched Holly dropped her hand onto Rousey's hip, preventing her from turning in for a forward throw ~ the same technique is illegal in Judo as its seen as negative Judo (defensive) as it prevents your opponent getting their hips into & under you.

Apart from that and just about everything else Holly threw at her Rousey was well beaten from the start.

I'd like to see a rematch but if Rousey is still a movie draw and can make countless more $$$'s at the box office then she'd be a fecking idiot to step into the cage for a fraction of that. And she'd never be a force again if she wished to step back into Judo.

Like what?.

In regards to catching kicks, wrestler catches a kick and they are basically in a single leg, a position which they have been drilled to react to and secure the takedown. Wrestling style single/double leg takedowns aren't premitted in judo so that instinctive reaction to change levels and drive forward won't be ingrained. My 2 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ronda is an awful actor, even by silly sporting celebrity crossover standards.

I would like her to show the mark of a true champion and show that she can learn from defeat and come back to reclaim her title, I think she will have plenty of choices in the immediate future anyway, longer term who knows.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    I'd like to see a rematch but if Rousey is still a movie draw and can make countless more $$$'s at the box office then she'd be a fecking idiot to step into the cage for a fraction of that. And she'd never be a force again if she wished to step back into Judo.

She made over $10million from fighting this year, perhaps more. The money for 3 cameos in random B movies was peanuts compared to that. Prob only 1 scene in each movie

Rousey via Decision
    I recall 1 sidekick and the finishing kick in the whole fight.
    I remember her planting one into the ribs when Ronda slipped. The side kick, the headkick KO, and around 5 oblique kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mellor wrote: »
    She made over $10million from fighting this year, perhaps more. The money for 3 cameos in random B movies was peanuts compared to that. Prob only 1 scene in each movie

Fast and Furious 7 was hardly a B movie in fairness, I still think she has no future in that department though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

She probably got a fair wack for expendables 3 but it was telling that they didn't get her to say much!

• Advertisement

Do ye think Ronda got swept away in her own hype and believed her standup was better than Hollys? When you have guys like Rogan and Dana constantly on about her boxing, bringing Tyson in to watch her and on the other side guys like Sonnen rubbishing Holly's boxing pedigree.

When Ronda and her coach were on Rogan's Podcast, about 6 weeks ago, the coach was saying he knew Ronda would knock Bethe out because Ronda is knocking girls out all the time in training. In the same way that Pat Barry reported he was given sh1t for sparring hard with Brock and not to hit him in the face, I'm thinking a lot of the training Ronda must have been doing, stand up wise, was just boosting her ego instead of skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Saw it mentioned on Reddit that in his latest fight companion Rogan admits he got caught up in the Ronda hype, anyone heard it or got a timestamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I find that figure a bit hard to believe, given that her total earnings as of September was $6.5mn for the year and $13mn for her entire career, and her two fights this year before Holm earned her $3mn. Either that or Forbes have their numbers wrong? :confused:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2015/08/28/floyd-mayweather-vs-ronda-rousey-by-the-numbers/

Rousey via Decision
    Fast and Furious 7 was hardly a B movie in fairness, I still think she has no future in that department though.
    B movie might not be the right term. As it was a big budget action movie. But her cameo was a tiny role. She was hardly getting millions.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I find that figure a bit hard to believe, given that her total earnings as of September was $6.5mn for the year and $13mn for her entire career, and her two fights this year before Holm earned her $3mn. Either that or Forbes have their numbers wrong? :confused:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2015/08/28/floyd-mayweather-vs-ronda-rousey-by-the-numbers/
    Why do you find that hard to believe? If anything that backs up my estimate. It says $3.5m in sponsors. I was going off $3m sponsor plus $8m from the UFC.

The $6.5m figure is from June '14 to June '15. During that time she fought only twice, Davis and Zigano. So $3m for two fights. They did 1.15m buys total. (I heard $1m for the Zigano fight.

In 2015. She fought 3 times, and the last two did massive PPV numbers. Maybe 2.7m buys for this year. That's more than double the above "year". Plus the "$ per PPV" bonus increases with the buyrate. So $8m for the 3 fights still sounds right to me. I was guessing 1+3+4m for the 3 events respectively.
    Then the year's sponsor money takes it past $10m. Thats was me being conservative tbh. Could be slightly higher.

Ah, you're right! I saw the article was dated in August so wrongly assumed it had the Correia fight included. Though I wouldn't really count sponsorships - sure, she gets them because she is a very successful, marketable athlete, but that's the same reason she got the movie parts or any of her media profile. That last bits more nit-picky though, matter of opinion I guess.

Rousey via Decision
    If she quits mma tomorrow, she won't lose all her sponsors, but she'd lose a lot.

Anyway, my point was that fighting isn't "a fraction" of she gets from movies. Not even close.

Rousey via Decision
    In regards to catching kicks, wrestler catches a kick and they are basically in a single leg, a position which they have been drilled to react to and secure the takedown. Wrestling style single/double leg takedowns aren't premitted in judo so that instinctive reaction to change levels and drive forward won't be ingrained. My 2 cent

Its only in recent times that touching the leg has been made illegal in Judo (after Beijing) so Ronda and just about every Judoka training prior to this rule change would be well versed in leg grabs.

It's a rule I'd like to see reversed and leg grabs and the likes of kata garuma brought back in but its unlikely to happen unless wrestling is dropped from the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rousey via Decision
    Holly Holm's last boxing loss was 4 years ago today

Brutal fight, what was the ref doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

VelvetyBelatedBellsnake.gif

The level of athlete Ronda was beating (easily) while being crowned best female athlete

Look at her ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Gamebred wrote: »

The level of athlete Ronda was beating (easily) while being crowned best female athlete

Look at her ffs

Ah. now. Meisha and Cat Zingano are pretty good.

but... latest news...

Rousey to fight Holm in immediate rematch, UFC president confirms.

:eek: Don't do it Randa! :eek: :eek:

Holm via Submission
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Ah. now. Meisha and Cat Zingano are pretty good.

but... latest news...

Rousey to fight Holm in immediate rematch, UFC president confirms.

:eek: Don't do it Randa! :eek: :eek:

Final bit of bloodsucking from Dana of Rhonda, then she can fade into dissapear

Final bit of bloodsucking from Dana of Rhonda, then she can fade into dissapear

I think Dana White must have several homer Simpson moments when he sees Ronda of dollar signs parading in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Holm via Submission
    Seen Dana say Ronda bigger now than before she lost...... Yeah Dana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Rousey via Decision
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Seen Dana say Ronda bigger now than before she lost...... Yeah Dana

Well there was probably more column inches and media reports about her loss compared to what would have been if she won.

This thread wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is if Ronda had beat Holm.

• Advertisement

That video was absolutely nauseating! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Holm via Submission
    Went with holm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission

In fairness she hasn't said it, Dana has said that she said it to him so it is a bit different.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In fairness she hasn't said it, Dana has said that she said it to him so it is a bit different.

In fairness Dana White is a close friend of Ronda's so if he thought she didn't want him to report something to the media then I'm guessing he probably wouldn't say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Holm via Submission
    Ronda was so exhausted from doing all the **** that we forced her to do - Dana White

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    In fairness Dana White is a close friend of Ronda's so if he thought she didn't want him to report something to the media then I'm guessing he probably wouldn't say it.

He also wants to hype the next fight too so saying she was exhausted is much better than saying she was comprehensively outclassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Holm via Submission
    anyone else think this is a bit unfair on holly? and no surprise for the ufc to **** on Miesha again!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He also wants to hype the next fight too so saying she was exhausted is much better than saying she was comprehensively outclassed.

I don't see why both can't be true she was exhausted and outclassed. Of course Dana is not going to admit the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Holm via Submission
    Ronda isn't going to beat Holly Holm. That was Dillashaw v Barao-esque. Just going to be worse next time. Her best bet is letting someone else take a crack.

ctJyTol.jpg

DNB but comfort eating it appears,sad to see her let herself go like that over a loss,come back Honda.

I think that post about sums up your contribution to this forum

I think that post about sums up your contribution to this forum

giphy.gif

Rousey via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    ctJyTol.jpg

DNB but comfort eating it appears,sad to see her let herself go like that over a loss,come back Honda.

Stupid and ignorant thing to post.

One of the most idiotic & ignorant posts in this entire forum, and that's saying something!.

I said thats shes doing nothing but eating to comfort herself after a loss which is sad to see considering the promo she cuts,whats your problem?

on another note travis brownes ex said this about her which is sickening if true

Jenna Renee ‏@JennaReneeFit
    @noochsig after he lost to Arlovski,she (Ronda) came to our room,with my entire family present,& HUGGED ME, all the while sleeping with my husband

• Advertisement
Advertisement