Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    Full transcript of Edmund's instruction to Rousey. The "listen to red/blue corner audio" feature on Fight Pass is fantastic:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12/14/10123958/word-for-word-what-ronda-rousey-coach-edmond-tarverdyan-told-her-ufc-193-transcript
    Round 1

:01-:57: "Press right, feint! Press fight, feint! Step to the right after touches. Step, step, step, step, step. Now you're taking her where you want her. Yeah, press again, quick press. Light touch. Feint, go! Feint, go! No problem*, hands up, hands up! Press go, press go, champ. Beautiful. Step ahead, press again. Feints, feints, be patient, smart! Yes! That's a touch! Feint, go again! Yes, go press, left hook, where's that big one? Touch ... just touch, feint, touch, touch. Yeah, you're inside. No problem*, chin down! Hands up! Nice hook!"

* - He said this both times after Rousey was hit with lefts from Holm.

:58-2:00: "Show the right hand to the body, go upstairs! Yes! That's it. Hands up, champ! Press, press, press! Now it's yours! Yes! Yes! Hands up! Hands up! Feint, quick feet, champ! Nice! Control! Nice!* Hands up, champ! Hands up! Feint! Feint, hands up! Feint, feint, feint. She'll fall into you. Feint, keep pressing! Touch, press her! Touch, press her! Feint, feint, feint! Yeah, very good. Yes!** That's it, feint, feint, feint! Nice, hands up, hands up when you're pressing! Feint, now she's falling. Press, press, keep pressing. She'll slow down."

* - Rousey briefly has Holm controlled against the cage and lands a knee to the body.

**- Rousey partially lands a left hook.

2:01-2:13: "Watch the set-ups on kicks, keep that right hand up where it's supposed to be. Hands up, champ! Press, feint, feint, go."

2:14-2:30: (Another cornerman talks Rousey through getting the armbar after she takes Holm down)

"Armbar! Armbar's open, be patient! Be patient! Be patient, it'll be there! It'll be there!"

(Tarverdyan resumes speaking after the failed armbar attempt)

2:31-3:00: "Hands up! Nice. Hands up! Champ, champ, champ! Discipline, baby, discipline! Feint, go! Feint, go! Discipline, feint, go! Watch the head kicks, champ! Champ, right hand up baby, let's go! Nice, work off it! Feint, go! Beautiful. Press, press, press! Feint, champ, feint! Double up the jab, feint, head movement! No problem*."

* - Rousey is hit with a Jon Jones-esque kick to the knee

3:01-4:00: "Hands up, champ! She's going to throw a kick upstairs!* Hands up! Go, work off it.** Press, press, press, good presses! Step ahead, champ! Legs under you, girl! Let's go! Yeah, what a right hand! Hands up! You're hurting her by touching her! Press! Touch, touch, touch, combination, work the jab! Hands up, champ! Feint, go! Hands up, don't lean in! Feint, go! Boxing skills, let's go! Right hook to the body. Feint, go! Yeah! Legs under you, champ! Don't gnash (?) the shot! Don't gnash (?) the shot. Don't gnash (?) the shot, step around, yes!"

*- No kick is ever thrown

** - Holm misses a jab but Rousey never counters

4:01-4:10: "Oh! You hurt her with a left hook!* There you go! Stay on her! Hey! Discipline, hands up! Hands up, discipline, go! Right hand, left hook! YES!**"

* - Holm loses her mouthpiece and there's a break in the action

** - Rousey throws a right hand and a left hook. The left hook lands and Holm ties up and takes her down.

(silence as Rousey is briefly taken down)

4:11-5:00: "Hands up, discipline! Hands up! Press, press, press! Hands up! Feint, good legs! Feint, good legs! Let's go, yes! Throw!*"

* - Rousey doesn't toss Holm to the mat, the clinch is broken and the round ends.

During the break

"Beautiful! Stay nice and patient [and] relax. Breathe, okay? Let's rinse that mouth, don't swallow it, rinse it. Champ, beautiful work. Listen to me, all she wants to do is catch you with that left hand and come on top with that hook, okay? We're feinting, we're keeping both hands up. We're feinting -- a lot of feints when we're pressing. We're stepping ahead. A little bit quicker on the step-ahead. She gets frustrated, okay? Your left hook is massive there. It's there -- right hand, left hook, right hand! And then what you gotta do after you let your hands go, back to defense! Press, feint, press, press!* So we can get her where we want her. Once we get her on the cage ... we need her on the cage this round and then we're going to be good, okay? Beautiful. More discipline, more discipline, please let's go you're the champ! Discipline!"

* - "Okay," Rousey replied.

Round 2

0:01-0:31: "Watch the kicks from distance. Hands up, watch that left hand! Watch that right hook now on top. Go, go, press, legs! Hands up! Smart about it. Yes, back to the legs, beautiful! Beautiful, touch!"

0:32-0:59: "Left hook, right hand!* Hands up! Beautiful! Now you're working, hands up!" (Rousey is knocked out 17 seconds later)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Rousey via Decision
    Nothing to add apart from that is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Depp wrote: »
    shes an arsehole anyway she deserves everything she gets

The only reason people say she's an arsehole is because she lost, so they call her arrogant. If she had won she would be considered confident and strong.

Perhaps Conor would be torn down a bit if he had lost.

MMa fans are fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    Holy crap, that advice from the corner. What was repeating feint all the time supposed to achieve.
    I wonder if somebody has a transcript of mighty mouses corner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Rousey via Decision
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    The only reason people say she's an arsehole is because she lost, so they call her arrogant. If she had won she would be considered confident and strong.

MMa fans are fickle.

Nope. She's also a hypocrite re domestic abuse and stupidly bought into her own hype going around saying she'd beat male fighters. She had a real problem with the whole female vs male thing and it seemed like she had some sort of point to prove IMO. Came across like a massive cxnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    stephenl15 wrote: »
    Nope. She's also a hypocrite re domestic abuse

How so?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Nope. She's also a hypocrite re domestic abuse and stupidly bought into her own hype going around saying she'd beat male fighters. She had a real problem with the whole female vs male thing and it seemed like she had some sort of point to prove IMO. Came across like a massive cxnt

Travis Browne wasn't charged. I think she overreacted to Holly but she was under loads of pressure. I think it's a crazy world in the UFC pressure cooker, Conor handles it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Holm via Submission

MMa fans are fickle.

I've been saying this from long before she lost, was the season of tuf that did it for me, also hate the way she invents feuds in her head before a fightand it hasnt been more obvious than the ''fake humility bitch'' saga and pushing holms hand into her face from this fight, say what you like about conor before the fight but once alls said and done hes very respectful, ronda is not, the whole travis browne cluster**** really shows her up too.

I've been saying this from long before she lost, was the season of tuf that did it for me, also hate the way she invents feuds in her head before a fightand it hasnt been more obvious than the ''fake humility bitch'' saga and pushing holms hand into her face from this fight, say what you like about conor before the fight but once alls said and done hes very respectful, ronda is not, the whole travis browne cluster**** really shows her up too.

It's funny so many people are angry at her behaviour after she lost but when the media asked Holly Holm and Conor Mcgregor what they thought they were like well emotions are high in there she's a great champ I hope she comes back but all the fans are like 'efffff that hyped up biiiiitch'. Maybe they should relax a bit :pac:

Holm via Submission
    It's funny so many people are angry at her behaviour after she lost but when the media asked Holly Holm and Conor Mcgregor what they thought they were like well emotions are high in there she's a great champ I hope she comes back but all the fans are like 'efffff that hyped up biiiiitch'. Maybe they should relax a bit :pac:

alot of people that dont like her has nothing to do with her losing to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Travis Browne wasn't charged. I think she overreacted to Holly but she was under loads of pressure. I think it's a crazy world in the UFC pressure cooker, Conor handles it well.

I think the difference is that conor actually creates the hype around him and actively seems to be seeking it out. He thrives on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    alot of people that dont like her has nothing to do with her losing to be fair

A lot of lads don't like strong confident women. Its an insecurity thing (I believe).

Me, I find it sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ronda's appearance on TUF really put me off her. Although it must be hard to stay grounded when so many influential people are licking your hole and telling you your God's gift.

Holm via Submission
    A lot of lads don't like strong confident women. Its an insecurity thing (I believe).

Me, I find it sexy.

its nothing to with confidence...its cause shes a bitch...c'mon now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

its nothing to with confidence...its cause shes a bitch...c'mon now...

She went and hugged travis brownes missus celebrating after he won and she was allegedly with him behind her back at this stage,her and Browne deserve each other 2 disgusting people imo,fair play to her she does her bit for charities and turned up to that marine ball last week but I cant stand her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Holm via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    She went and hugged travis brownes missus celebrating after he won and she was allegedly with him behind her back at this stage,her and Browne deserve each other 2 disgusting people imo,fair play to her she does her bit for charities and turned up to that marine ball last week but I cant stand her.

I'm not a fan of Rhonda but You can't be accusing of of doing things and using allegedly in the same sentence.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Rhonda but You can't be accusing of of doing things and using allegedly in the same sentence.

Its not made up gossip,ronda let slip in an interview when she started seeing travis,travis was still with his missus at this time.

Holm via Submission
    Its not made up gossip,ronda let slip in an interview when she started seeing travis,travis was still with his missus at this time.

Then it's not allegedly I guess.
    That word reminds me of rag newspapers trying to stir up a story

Then it's not allegedly I guess.
    That word reminds me of rag newspapers trying to stir up a story

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/12/espn-edited-rousey-article-so-she-wouldnt-look-like-a-sidechick/

Espn even went editing it from their piece after people put the dates together,either way thats scummy sort of stuff on both their behalves,I wont lose sleep about what consenting adults do but just making the point its a very good reason not to like her personality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rousey via Decision
    Jasus the biggest loser is travis browne who leaves a smoking hot wife for ronda rousey

Holm via Submission
    ricero wrote: »
    Jasus the biggest loser is travis browne who leaves a smoking hot wife for ronda rousey

I'd say the cops made that choice for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    ricero wrote: »

Its like the old saying goes,

''No matter how hot the chick is, some dude somewhere is sick of listening to her bullsh1t.''

Holm via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Its like the old saying goes,

''No matter how hot the chick is, some dude somewhere is sick of listening to her bullsh1t.''

I dunno. I'm all ears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    I dunno. I'm all ears

She's a very highly regarded fitness model as well, to her credit. She's in insanely good shape.

Ah nobody knows what is going on behind closed doors in anyone elses's relationship.

Nah if she had won she would not have been pilloried to the extent that she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    Interesting from Ronda. She says she was completely rocked in the first exchange.

She really seems a shadow of the person she was before that fight (based on what I've seen of her since) which is a pity. It has impacted her hugely but hopefully she will pull herself together in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holm via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting from Ronda. She says she was completely rocked in the first exchange.

She really seems a shadow of the person she was before that fight (based on what I've seen of her since) which is a pity. It has impacted her hugely but hopefully she will pull herself together in time.

She's done mentally imo. She relied heavily on being the baddest on the planet and played into the mentality, I'd say her mother tore into her aswell. In this sport confidence plays a big a factor as any and she seems at rock bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Paully D wrote: »

That suicide admission dropped in there must be a worry for people around her. What happens if holly does it again?

She shouldnt be fighting any time soon,another loss could send her over the edge hope she retires now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    I said it after the fight, she's not fighting again lads. Her head is not in it any more. Why the hell would she risk another beating when she can make easy money hip tossing stuntmen in vin diseal movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Rousey via Decision
    I said it after the fight, she's not fighting again lads. Her head is not in it any more. Why the hell would she risk another beating when she can make easy money hip tossing stuntmen in vin diseal movies.

She's a been a competitor all her life though. I'd say that defeat has been killing her, she will definitely want to try and avenge it.

She has enough money at this stage that it isn't what motivates her I'd imagine.

I agree she is continuing to do what put her in this mess, media, snl, films. It's time to hang up the gloves and go and have those babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Rousey via Decision
    Just watched the interview, Christ that was cringey.

What a load of bollox.

Rousey via Decision
    I'm surprised she took the loss so hard tbh. She surely lost all the time during her judo career.
    Her judo record wasn't particularly stand out, she had no world titles. I'd have thought loss was a part are parcel of her athletic career. Maybe the most to MMA changed her mentality and she genuinely believed the unbeatable schtick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    She sounds mentally unstable from the few quotes I read

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holm via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm surprised she took the loss so hard tbh. She surely lost all the time during her judo career.
    Her judo record wasn't particularly stand out, she had no world titles. I'd have thought loss was a part are parcel of her athletic career. Maybe the most to MMA changed her mentality and she genuinely believed the unbeatable schtick

She became an alcoholic and was addicted to pain killers after only placing bronze at the Olympics. She put so much work in and expected to win gold, couldn't handle the disappointment after.

There is being competitive and there is what she is which isn't healthy. Her family has a bit of a history of mental health problems and to me she looks possibly borderline bi-polar. That whole altercation with Holm, which people seemed to think was just to push PPV's, I don't think it was, I genuinely think the people she fights she actually thinks they are trying to personally destroy her and believes that they are automatically terrible people for doing so.

That whole thing with going from one sentence of possibly wanting to kill yourself to wanting to have Browne's babies just goes to underline how unstable she is.

She needs to sort herself out mentally before she fights again and I'm not sure if she ever will.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    Am I the only cynic here?

Rousey via Decision
    Lukker- wrote: »
    She became an alcoholic and was addicted to pain killers after only placing bronze at the Olympics. She put so much work in and expected to win gold, couldn't handle the disappointment after.
    Wow, really? Did not know that. I wonder if this genuine alcoholic, or the american media version, where 4 drinks is a binge.

I find it a bit bizarre that bizarre that she put so much pressure on herself. No US female had ever won a gold in Judo. She had lost the world championship previous. I really thought she was expected to win, in the same fashion that say Katie Taylor would have been in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

The UFC should step in and not allow her fight again.

did anyone see her on the stage with two other idiots getting a Sport illustrated cover award?? it was major cringy. they were like three air heads that had won a share in the miss proud to have no brain award. My point is look at her reaction, it's miles away from the strong young woman she once claimed to be. It was as if being a swimsuit model was the greatest thing a girl could be.

I agree, I think her cheese slid of her cracker after that fight. I haven't read anything about the travis browne thing really so cant say but in terms of her being a horrible human being, watch her stint on TUF!! bully does not even come close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

rusty cole wrote: »
    did anyone see her on the stage with two other idiots getting a Sport illustrated cover award?? it was major cringy. they were like three air heads that had won a share in the miss proud to have no brain award. My point is look at her reaction, it's miles away from the strong young woman she once claimed to be. It was as if being a swimsuit model was the greatest thing a girl could be.

I agree, I think her cheese slid of her cracker after that fight. I haven't read anything about the travis browne thing really so cant say but in terms of her being a horrible human being, watch her stint on TUF!! bully does not even come close.

I genuinely thought all her antics were part of her gimmick and that she was creating an aura to sell herself . However recently i think it was just her personality .

Its been a cliche how she has crumbled after the loss - the same way a school bully would if he was beat up in the yard . Strange really .

I watched the fight again last night on youtube . Painful viewing .

"Ronda Rousey is a cultural phenomenon. She is the perfect combination of beauty, brains, brawn and humility. She possesses a spirit bigger than the space around her, and it is both infectious and inspiring. She's a Phoenix, as fiery and beautiful as any mythical creature ever depicted."

Above is what the UFC said about her on their site having showed her sport illustrated win on the cover in 2016, recently.
    HUMILITY?? are the serious??? do they own a TV at all??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Rousey via Decision
    TheNap wrote: »
    I genuinely thought all her antics were part of her gimmick and that she was creating an aura to sell herself . However recently i think it was just her personality .

Its been a cliche how she has crumbled after the loss - the same way a school bully would if he was beat up in the yard . Strange really .

I watched the fight again last night on youtube . Painful viewing .

Painful? I loved every minute. Not because I have any major issues with Ronda but to watch someone who has been so dominant for so long get absolutely taken apart is a sight to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Rousey via Decision
    There are many parallels between substance addiction and high level athletes and often both cross over.

It takes a certain type of personality to focus on one thing over all others, to loose yourself in it despite the negative impact it has on yourself and others around you.

Its why most people will never be high level athletes or highly successful in their fields, because they are not willing to sacrifice other parts of there lives. Training twice a day 5/6 a week leaves very little time for anything else. It numbs you to the point you don't have the mental capacity to think or want to think about anything else. You have virtually no time for friends, family and you cut out those in your life who are not enabling your training, and can actually resent people for stopping you or trying to lead you away. Very similar to alcoholism.

Addictive personalities can lead to great success in particular areas while having a detrimental effect on others. A lot of very successful people are not actually that nice to be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doesn't seem to me she's anywhere near ready to face Holly yet, if at all. The emotion of the loss is still just beneath the surface, as can be seen when she starts crying. The weight of her loss hasn't been reconciled yet, and the people around her play a part in that. Personally, I don't see her fighting again, but what do I know!

There are many parallels between substance addiction and high level athletes and often both cross over.

It takes a certain type of personality to focus on one thing over all others, to loose yourself in it despite the negative impact it has on yourself and others around you.

Its why most people will never be high level athletes or highly successful in their fields, because they are not willing to sacrifice other parts of there lives. Training twice a day 5/6 a week leaves very little time for anything else. It numbs you to the point you don't have the mental capacity to think or want to think about anything else. You have virtually no time for friends, family and you cut out those in your life who are not enabling your training, and can actually resent people for stopping you or trying to lead you away. Very similar to alcoholism.

Addictive personalities can lead to great success in particular areas while having a detrimental effect on others. A lot of very successful people are not actually that nice to be around.

very very good point I have to say... well said, all the above makes great sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    rusty cole wrote: »
    "Ronda Rousey is a cultural phenomenon. She is the perfect combination of beauty, brains, brawn and humility. She possesses a spirit bigger than the space around her, and it is both infectious and inspiring. She's a Phoenix, as fiery and beautiful as any mythical creature ever depicted."

Above is what the UFC said about her on their site having showed her sport illustrated win on the cover in 2016, recently.
    HUMILITY?? are the serious??? do they own a TV at all??

That's why I'm surprised at being the only cynic in here.

I think she was milking it a bit on the Ellen show.

I couldn't watch that video in work but I just did at home, **** me, what an act!! so she couldn't see anything from the first tough exchange?, so she admits holly pulled her soul out though her face in that first tear up?, yeah sounds exactly how it looked to me. also her teeth were loose because she got caught flush with a partially opened mouth I'm guessing or as if it even matters.

if you look at her crying, her whole demeanor screams, pity me!! now cut to the last 10 seconds, when Ellen says, "aw poor Holly" on comes the bitter puss and the body tenses up and she frowns and says "I don't pity her at all" ahhh there's the real Ronda we all know and hate....even Ellen notices and pauses a bit, because secretly I;d say Ellen knows Ronda is see you next Tuesday!!

Holm is going to get khabib'd by miesha double leg city.

• Advertisement

ive always felt white gave that fight to Tate so she could win and then Ronda gets in and arm bars Tate again, bingo the cash cow is back!!!

sure she's had more media coverage lately than holly..

it was originally a rematch but then it all went foggy, maybe because Aldo was being denied his rematch or something and a president had been set, I dunno but just watch that Ultimate fighter with her int it, what a cow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K92NW30F5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5XVtxPNVQ

Advertisement