Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

1222324252628»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm surprised she took the loss so hard tbh. She surely lost all the time during her judo career.
    Her judo record wasn't particularly stand out, she had no world titles. I'd have thought loss was a part are parcel of her athletic career. Maybe the most to MMA changed her mentality and she genuinely believed the unbeatable schtick

She also took Judo losses particularly hard too. She speaks about this in her book about how she would go off to lick her wounds and seek her mother council after a loss.

As for world titles, its said in competitive Judo that its easier to qualify for the Olympics than it is for a world's.. Qualifying for either is exceptionally difficult.

As regards her mental state, well she's been badly affected by the suicide of her father. And evidence shows that when a parent dies by suicide the act almost certainly condemn one or more of the children to very serious consider, attempt or actually commit suicide.

The interview was exceptionally cringy, but then I find most of these American chat shows vomit inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holm via Submission
    rusty cole wrote: »
    ive always felt white gave that fight to Tate so she could win and then Ronda gets in and arm bars Tate again, bingo the cash cow is back!!!

sure she's had more media coverage lately than holly..

it was originally a rematch but then it all went foggy, maybe because Aldo was being denied his rematch or something and a president had been set, I dunno but just watch that Ultimate fighter with her int it, what a cow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K92NW30F5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5XVtxPNVQ

It went foggy because Dana started pushing a rematch before even talking to Ronda. Filming got pushed back on Roadhouse which ruled her out UFC200 and she had said she was going to sit back and let people miss her afer the Holm fight anyways.

It seems like she's gonna do a longer camp for her comeback, she's been back in training for a while already but I think she's avoiding any hard training.

He made the Miesha match-up because it's the only one he could make, it doesn't look like Cyborg will ever be able to make weight. There was literally no-one else he could match Holly with and even Holly seemed to want Miesha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    rusty cole wrote: »
    ive always felt white gave that fight to Tate so she could win and then Ronda gets in and arm bars Tate again, bingo the cash cow is back!!!
    It's a no win spot for Dana/UFC.
    If Holly sits out for Ronda, "Tate is getting screwed".
    If Tate gets the shot, "They are trying to get the belt back to Ronda".

The Tate fight is absolutely the right match to make. If it ends up resultign in a pass-around belt, great. Holly losing to Tate, who loses to Ronda, who re-matches with Holly is way way way more exciting than the WBW division previous to UFC 193.
    As for world titles, its said in competitive Judo that its easier to qualify for the Olympics than it is for a world's.. Qualifying for either is exceptionally difficult.
    I'd imagine so given the number of judo athetes worldwide and the limitation on places. Which is why am surprised there was any pressure on her to win (other then self generated).
    Obviously I didn't watch it at the time, you probably did. Was there any expectation that the america was going for the gold?
    From checking he brackets. I see she was eliminated from the gold medal race in her third match. She had to win 3 more matches after that in the repechage bracket. I would have thought that holding it together for the bronze requires a bit of mental toughness.

Rousey via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »

I'd imagine so given the number of judo athetes worldwide and the limitation on places. Which is why am surprised there was any pressure on her to win (other then self generated).
    Obviously I didn't watch it at the time, you probably did. Was there any expectation that the america was going for the gold?
    From checking he brackets. I see she was eliminated from the gold medal race in her third match. She had to win 3 more matches after that in the repechage bracket. I would have thought that holding it together for the bronze requires a bit of mental toughness.

Tbh I don't remember anything in particular about those games, and I'm terrible for following athletes careers.

Her book is a decent read, and no doubt going cheap at the moment. About two thirds of it is about her Judo career, about a half a page about an ex who took naked photos of her and who got a well deserved few clatters for it from her and the other third is Strikeforce and the UFC.

Regards pressure and her Judo career, I think most of the pressure came from her mother to success, there would have been little or no pressure from Judo America as they barely funded their Judoka and certainly none on the international stage as the USA wouldn't have been considered a power house in either the worlds or Olympics.

Did I read you say you're a competitor?.. If so you'll get how she deals with defeats, I know I've had a lot myself ~ some I've taken really hard, others I've barely cared about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    Regards pressure and her Judo career, I think most of the pressure came from her mother to success, there would have been little or no pressure from Judo America as they barely funded their Judoka and certainly none on the international stage as the USA wouldn't have been considered a power house in either the worlds or Olympics.
    That makes sense. I was think Judo America where hardly pressuring or expecting the gold.
    Her mother on the other hand, seems a little unhinged
    Did I read you say you're a competitor?.. If so you'll get how she deals with defeats, I know I've had a lot myself ~ some I've taken really hard, others I've barely cared about.
    Ditto, some really annoyed me, others I didn't care less about. With me, It's not so much about expectation of winning, but more so capability. If after a match/fight I know that a small adjustment would have got the win it annoys me. More so than being outclassed completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rousey via Decision
    This fight is up as a free fight by the UFC if anyone wants to see it back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Holm via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    This fight is up as a free fight by the UFC if anyone wants to see it back again.

Didn't get around to watching it yet. Who won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didn't get around to watching it yet. Who won?

Ronda got a takedown about 2 minutes and 20 seconds in, went for the armbar, and well, you know yourself from there... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Ronda got a takedown about 2 minutes and 20 seconds in, went for the armbar, and well, you know yourself from there... :pac:

There really was no plan B!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    I'm not sure of there was much of a plan A.

It looked like an amateur against a pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

CatFromHue wrote: »

There was definitely a plan A, see all of Ronda's fights before the Holm fight. Basically charge forward, get into the clinch (in fairness she will dominate the clinch against any fighter in the division), take it to the ground, then armbar.

The main reasons Holm made Ronda look like an amateur was her superior movement and her use of range, basically nullified all of Ronda's best weapons.

Rousey via Decision
    CatFromHue wrote: »

To quote Tyson 'Everyone has a plan until they're punched in the mouth'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Rousey via Decision
    To quote Tyson 'Everyone has a plan until they're punched in the mouth'.

I'm pretty sire HH's training plan was like this; ok Holly you are great at punching and grand at kicking so for the next three months these male 145 judoka are going to try to arm bar you, go

Rousey via Decision
    Tigger wrote: »
    I'm pretty sire HH's training plan was like this; ok Holly you are great at punching and grand at kicking so for the next three months these male 145 judoka are going to try to arm bar you, go

I know you're kidding, but here goes.

There's a world of difference between a 145 (65.7kg) male Judoka and a female of the same weight.. A high level male 145Ib Judoka would eat both Rousey and Holm alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rousey via Decision

That's not good :eek: , portrayed like someone guilty of throwing career away due to addiction of some sort too makes it worse.

Rousey via Decision

She was the same after big Judo loses.

Pity she's sticking with her dumb as f*ck coach and not listening to her mother & telling him to touch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Hate to say it but I think Tate will win easy at 205, if that's how it pans out and it seems likely right now that it will.

Hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling she just wants to win one more fight and then move on.

Especially considering she just signed a three movie deal.

Advertisement