Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building my first pc

Options
  • 09-11-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello, I've been thinking of building a gaming pc for quite a while but feel clueless about where to look for the parts and which parts are compatible with what. I've decided against buying a pre built one as people say it's cheaper to build your own. I've been mostly using gaming laptops and am only now realising the disadvantage of them. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Can you fill this out?

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnny711

1. What is your budget? [€2000]

2. What will be the main purpose of this computer ? Mainly gaming, I would like to be able to play all upcoming games like fallout on close to max settings

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24'

6. Do you need any peripherals? Mouse, wireless card, sound card and keyboards the others can be added as needed

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Don't really understand it

8. How can you pay?bank transfer and credit card

9. When are you purchasing? In a month approx

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin City
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Overclocking.

An intel cpu i5 or i7 with "k" at the end (example i5 4690k) is a cpu that can be overclocked(tweaked to get higher performance) . You use a "z" type motherboard example "z97" with it to get the best results . Also needed is a decent cpu cooler, to keep the cpu cool.

Upsides you squeeze more power out of cpu.

Downsides it can shorten lifespan of cpu.somtimes if done incorrectly can ruin a cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Cpu processor - intel Xeon 1231 v3. Cost -248 euro.

Motherboard h97 -90 euro.

Graphics card gtx970 4gb/r9 390 8gb- 350

Ram memory 8 gig crucial ballistic -40

Psu power supply be quiet system 7 500w- 60

Ssd solid state drive crucial bx - 81

Hdd hard drive Western digital blue- 51

Case a rectangular metal box or cube depending - 120 get from amazon if cheaper to do so.

Cooler for cpu 30 ish( will get one with your cpu but this will be better not essential)

Say 1100. Estimated. Delivery bits n bobs

All prices sourced from mindfactory except case. can get more into that later.

This is a " budget "non overclocking version of what you can get for your money. can be cheaper.

That will run fallout pretty much ultra at 1080p.

Butt...
    With that budget you have the option to go for a 1440p. in which case maybe a bigger graphics card.

You can also go for a skylake build. Newer intel chip, faster ram. Better motherboard. All more expensive. Again build above is a kinda just about sensible.

Someome else can do a crazy bells whistles one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ster you made me laugh with the case comment :pac:

You'll play everything at max settings here OP, I'd go with Sterlings build and get a nice keyboard and mouse.

You could go straight to 1440p here if you wanted, with the same build no issue, your call.

For the case, I'd put €80-150 into one for this budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

€2000 Euro for a gaming PC seems like a great budget and possibly even too much?

Maybe things have changed but when I last built my own PCs about 10 years ago I'd rarely spend more than 1200.

Granted you said you need a monitor too and we used SSDs now instead of HDDs.

Next time you're in Easons, pickup a copy of Custom PC or similar. They tend to have build guides for various budgets.
    On the back page I seem to recall they had 3 different possible PC builds depending on your budget. Perhaps I'm thinking of the old PCZone gaming magazines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Next time you're in Easons, pickup a copy of Custom PC or similar. They tend to have build guides for various budgets.
    On the back page I seem to recall they had 3 different possible PC builds depending on your budget. Perhaps I'm thinking of the old PCZone gaming magazines?

There's also http://www.logicalincrements.com/

There's also logicalincrements.com

Great resource. Damn it. You're giving me ideas now :-/

Would the build sterling mentioned be a straight forward build, as it will be first I don't want to jump into the deep end. Also how long would a build like that be able to keep up with future games?

All PC's are the same 7 parts, a €2000 or €500 build will both be essentially the same thing to build, just more expensive to drop something in the former.

It'll run anything at Ultra, probably most of 2016's games too. If you want Ultra 60fps at 1080p, then you'll have to upgrade the graphics coming into 2017 I would think. If you're more flexible settings wise, this'll last a good 5 or 6 years I'd say, if not more.

That's an opinion as you can't really call how stressful games are going to become.

• Advertisement

johnny711 wrote: »
    Would the build sterling mentioned be a straight forward build, as it will be first I don't want to jump into the deep end. Also how long would a build like that be able to keep up with future games?

Impossible to tell.
    I used to upgrade my graphics card every 3 or so years but could probably have stretched that out a bit.

I wouldn't be too concerned with having an absolute top of the range card. You'll pay massively to be on the cutting edge and components age and reduce in price quite rapidly.
    Find that sweet spot just below the price plateau where a card is still good enough to play modern games but not priced at a premium.

Probably a stupid question.. but will all the necessary cables and other stuff come with the components ?

They do yeah

Would I also need a sound card and wireless card for the motherboard ?

A wireless card yeah, homeplugs are a better option though

You wont need a soundcard

Advertisement