Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop problem

Options
  • 09-11-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi folks

I purchased a new laptop a few months ago. It was part of the Asus Notebook pack.
    I received panda internet security with it. All was going well until after 2 months it went extremely slow and some programs took an age to open if I was lucky enough to get them open at all. At one stage screen went blue. I did a pc refresh on it. Its not working too bad now. Probably should be a bit faster though.
    When I installed the Panda I deleted McAfee which seems to come with the laptop? However now the Panda is gone and the McAfee is back. I was trying to delete the mcafee (after the refresh) but it says that it is active. So I guess its gone back to factory settings. I left the Mcafee there.
    Can someone tell me is the Mcafee like a trial version that I will have for a short while? I may not be able to get the Panda back but even if I was able to. Is this Panda good security?
    Any other advice welcome as I'm a bit lost when it comes to these issues!:o
    Was pc refresh the right thing to do?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How were you going about deleting McAfee?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Add/remove program?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

Make sure mcafee is turned off like closed down before you go to uninstall it,if you cant get rid of it i suggest download advanced uninstaller,it very easy to use and it deletes registry keys and folders aswell so it wont come back,google it you will find it.

Thanks Kodistar,

I will give that a go. So Id be better off without McAfee then as I should be able to get Panda back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Espoo wrote: »
    Thanks Kodistar,

I will give that a go. So Id be better off without McAfee then as I should be able to get Panda back up?

Yes you would be mcafee is disaster,slows down pc and always runs in background,where panda security is free and is very good.

• Advertisement

Hi

Following on from earlier I got rid of McAfee and reinstalled Panda. However I since updated to Windows 10. Someone was saying this has anti virus software built in? Does this mean I should now get rid of Panda? Will there be a conflict?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Hi

Following on from earlier I got rid of McAfee and reinstalled Panda. However I since updated to Windows 10. Someone was saying this has anti virus software built in? Does this mean I should now get rid of Panda? Will there be a conflict?

cheers

No I would keep using panda and it would also be worth installing malwarebytes as well for added peace of mind. It's free and very effective when used with good browsing habits as well. ie. don't click dodgy links etc...

Thanks for that Ant

Sounds like a good plan. So I don't need to change any settings for windows 10?
    Just install Malware bytes and let it run along side Panda

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Thanks for that Ant

Sounds like a good plan. So I don't need to change any settings for windows 10?
    Just install Malware bytes and let it run along side Panda

Just run a scan with it once a week or so and let panda run as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jefferytibbs

Had so many similar problems with McAfee and many a heated moment!

• Advertisement
Advertisement