Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the ways a storage heater can be controlled? (mine stopped working)

Options
  • 09-11-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

The storage heater in my living room stopped working. I don't think it is the heater itself as the convection heating function still works, and even if I turn on the wall switch for the storage function, the red light next to the switch which used to turn on when night saver rates kick in doesn't anymore.

I can't find any kind of clock within the apartment which seem like it is controlling the heater.
    I am renting and the landlord is not too sure how it works, and the management company is saying the timer is controlled directly by the electricity company (which I find strange - is it actually possible?).

How are storage heaters usually controlled and should I look for an issue within my apartment or in some type of centralised control area for the whole block?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Bob24 wrote: »
    The storage heater in my living room stopped working. I don't think it is the heater itself as the convection heating function still works, and even if I turn on the wall switch for the storage function, the red light next to the switch which used to turn on when night saver rates kick in doesn't anymore.

I can't find any kind of clock within the apartment which seem like it is controlling the heater.
    I am renting and the landlord is not too sure how it works, and the management company is saying the timer is controlled directly by the electricity company (which I find strange - is it actually possible?).

How are storage heaters usually controlled and should I look for an issue within my apartment or in some type of centralised control area for the whole block?

Have you similar storage heaters in other rooms and if so, is the red light on during night-saver times on those other heaters? If it's just one heater giving problems, get an electrician to check it.
    The convection function runs on the normal rate electricity, separate from the storage heating.

It sounds like your storage heaters are running on a specific night-rate meter, probably 11pm - 8am. Those times would be set on the meter by the electricity company and the meter sealed.
    You can then control each of your storage heaters with that red switch, ON to absorb heat overnight, or OFF during summer months, etc.

I would have thought your management company would have been able to give you more info on the type/make of your heaters or contact numbers to report a fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Rancid wrote: »
    Have you similar storage heaters in other rooms and if so, is the red light on during night-saver times on those other heaters? If it's just one heater giving problems, get an electrician to check it.
    The convection function runs on the normal rate electricity, separate from the storage heating.

It sounds like your storage heaters are running on a specific night-rate meter, probably 11pm - 8am. Those times would be set on the meter by the electricity company and the meter sealed.
    You can then control each of your storage heaters with that red switch, ON to absorb heat overnight, or OFF during summer months, etc.

I would have thought your management company would have been able to give you more info on the type/make of your heaters or contact numbers to report a fault?

Thanks a lot!

There is only one storage heater so can't compare with others unfortunately.

Management company was a bit shy of information but did say I should contact the electricity company (basically they said it's not their problem). So you are probably right about the night rate meter.

I'll have the storage heater checked by an electrician anyway as I need another heater replaced, but I'm thinking the night rate meter might be faulty.

If I call Electric Ireland and give them my account number, you think they would be able to check the meter's clock free of charge?

Thanks a lot!

There is only one storage heater so can't compare with others unfortunately.

Management company was a bit shy of information but did say I should contact the electricity company (basically they said it's not their problem). So you are probably right about the night rate meter.

I'll have the storage heater checked by an electrician anyway as I need another heater replaced, but I'm thinking the night rate meter might be faulty.

If I call Electric Ireland and give them my account number, you think they would be able to check the meter's clock free of charge?

Good idea to call Electric Ireland first and find out if you have an individual meter for your own apartment.
    I don't think the meter is likely to be faulty, more likely some connection to your heater or, less likely, the heater itself.
    Do you know the brand name of the heater? There should be some kind of id info on it, maybe Dimplex or some such name. Might be possible to contact them and narrow down the possible cause of the problem.

Rancid wrote: »
    Good idea to call Electric Ireland first and find out if you have an individual meter for your own apartment.
    I don't think the meter is likely to be faulty, more likely some connection to your heater or, less likely, the heater itself.
    Do you know the brand name of the heater? There should be some kind of id info on it, maybe Dimplex or some such name. Might be possible to contact them and narrow down the possible cause of the problem.

Cheers. It's a dimplex duo 500i. I'll try to give them a call then.

Cheers. It's a dimplex duo 500i. I'll try to give them a call then.
    Dimpco, Airport Road, Dublin should be able to give you some info.
    Some of the newer Dimplex storage heaters have a setting in their control display that give error codes to help diagnose problems.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the light on the wall switch doesn't come on for that heater, but does for other ones, then the wall switch is probably dead. Very common:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057515301

15 minute fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

I had a very similar situation to yours :

basically ESB were at fault as the night circuit was not working or activated which meant i couldn't get the heaters to store electricity overnight. They got around to fixing it yesterday and the heaters are now working.

bada_bing wrote: »
    I had a very similar situation to yours :

basically ESB were at fault as the night circuit was not working or activated which meant i couldn't get the heaters to store electricity overnight. They got around to fixing it yesterday and the heaters are now working.

Thanks, I had seen your post an noticed it seems pretty similar - good to hear you got it sorted.

Advertisement