Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam timing,before or after christmas

Options
  • 09-11-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for papers that have done studies on students results when exams are before or after Christmas. I have tried to look for some but I cannot find any.

Do anyone have any papers they would suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd reckon each set of results is particular to that type of school... and that particular cohort of students that year. And what school is going to share their results??

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Surely before is better from a more holistic perspective. .. Let them work to a deadline and have time off afterwards! I did two third level courses, one where they were before Christmas and one afterwards, and having them hanging over me was awful. I imagine it does depend on who is sitting in front of you though, kids who put a lot of pressure on themselves might stress themselves out over a period that is supposed to be restful, whereas it might suit others with a more balanced approach to have them afterwards - more time to get the material in while also storing up energy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Howlin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking for papers that have done studies on students results when exams are before or after Christmas. I have tried to look for some but I cannot find any.

Do anyone have any papers they would suggest?

Speaking as my thirteen year old self, the one thing I hated about school was Christmas exams. It was the one thing I hated coming up to Christmas. I would have hated having them hanging over me until after Christmas...

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I'd reckon each set of results is particular to that type of school... and that particular cohort of students that year. And what school is going to share their results??
    I assume he's talking about academic studies rather than results from schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

We had Christmas exams in January when in college in UL. Absolute disaster ruined your holidays and extended the length of time from when you were actually taught the material by 3-4 weeks which can't be a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

katydid wrote: »
    I assume he's talking about academic studies rather than results from schools.

Aye I know, but what type of academic study is going to be getting secondary teachers to compile and compare all their results in the 2 scenarios (before and after xmas)? and then colate them with other school's who might be doing diff topics... then the issue of the 'type' of school your study is going to focus on.

Too many variables...

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Aye I know, but what type of academic study is going to be getting secondary teachers to compile and compare all their results in the 2 scenarios (before and after xmas)? and then colate them with other school's who might be doing diff topics... then the issue of the 'type' of school your study is going to focus on.

Too many variables...

I'm sure there must be studies out there. I think anecdotal information is clear enough - give kids a break! Let them enjoy their Christmas.

Advertisement