Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop won't connect to WiFi

Options
  • 09-11-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

HI,

I have an 6/7 year old Dell Inspiron laptop which can't seem to connect to my WiFi.
    I have recently upgraded to Eircom EFibre with the new router.

Every other device in the house connects to the WiFi but I tried the laptop last night and it won't even show the wifi as an available network.

The Wireless card is a Belkin 802.11.
    I've tried unintalling the drivers, reinstalling and updating the wireless card drivers but no joy.
    Connecting by ethernet cable gives a connection

Any thoughts ?

Could the wireless card be too old to connect to the new router ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

Does the router have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Does the router have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz enabled?

Yes. Tablets and phones connect to the 5ghz signal

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

If the laptop is quite old then it will only connect to the 2.4ghz. Maybe try and find out if the new router is 802.11n. The router might not support legacy 802.11b/g

If the laptop is quite old then it will only connect to the 2.4ghz. Maybe try and find out if the new router is 802.11n. The router might not support legacy 802.11b/g

How do I check that ?
    Its an Zyxel D1000

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://broadbandsupport.eir.ie/download/zyxel/eircom_D1000.pdf

Page 62. Change the dropdown to something that covers b. I presume your card does b?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

will56 wrote: »
    How do I check that ?
    Its an Zyxel D1000

No it's not, the D1000 does not work with eFibre. I would guess it's the F2000 as it's the only dual band Eir modern. It should support 802.11g. Login and manually set the 2.4ghz channel, take it off auto

MarkR wrote: »
    http://broadbandsupport.eir.ie/download/zyxel/eircom_D1000.pdf

Page 62. Change the dropdown to something that covers b. I presume your card does b?

Thanks, I was just reading through the manual now actually :)

Is it okay to switch it to b+g+n to cover all bases ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ideally you want to only cover the lowest ones you need. So if you have a g one, don't bother with b. I believe it slows down the transfer speed to the lowest connection on the network.

No it's not, the D1000 does not work with eFibre. I would guess it's the F2000 as it's the only dual band Eir modern. It should support 802.11g. Login and manually set the 2.4ghz channel, take it off auto

Sorry, you're right, I was looking at a old picture on my phone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you went from a D1000 to an F1000/F2000 then the standards in use are the same(+AC), so a device working on one should work on the other just fine.

1. Check the belkin isnt using its own software not windows networking(common with old XP machines)

2. Change the 2.4Ghz channel down to CH1, sometimes old units can't detect the higher channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

I had something similar once i changed to vodafone and was getting 5ghz and laptop wouldnt pick up wifi went to find the drivers reinstall loads of times then i found out after alot of research my laptop wasnt able to upgrade to new signal,so had to buy a new wireless adapter did it problem solved.hope i helped.

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

I had something similar once i changed to vodafone and was getting 5ghz and laptop wouldnt pick up wifi went to find the drivers reinstall loads of times then i found out after alot of research my laptop wasnt able to upgrade to new signal,so had to buy a new wireless adapter did it problem solved.hope i helped.

It's dual band, if the laptop worked in the D1000 there is no reason it wouldn't be able to work on an F2000 as it's backwards compatible with 802.11b/g, a simple channel change should fix it, no need to spend money on new hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

They say that but it not until you try it and if it not picking up a wireless signal with drivers installed then id buy new one you get one for about 10 euro if it fixes problem instead of searching hrs for solution then buy it thats what i did im quite happy and now im able to run windows 10 just my opinion.

kodistar wrote: »
    They say that but it not until you try it and if it not picking up a wireless signal with drivers installed then id buy new one you get one for about 10 euro if it fixes problem instead of searching hrs for solution then buy it thats what i did im quite happy and now im able to run windows 10 just my opinion.

You should've just changed channel saved yourself 10 quid

You should've just changed channel saved yourself 10 quid

Changed Channel from 10 to 1. Working perfectly now. Thanks !

Advertisement