Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drycleaner - Missing Item

Options
  • 09-11-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice.

Last week I dropped in 2 x couch covers and associated cushions (6 on each couch) to the dry cleaners. Had never used them before, but they are on my walk to work and open early, so figured it would be handy. I had all of the items in a large bag. I had put all the cushion covers in the bag first, as they came off the couches first, then the 2 large couch covers (all purchased from Ikea).

Anyhow spoke to the dry cleaners when I got in there, and man advised me that it would be 90euro to dry-clean the items (6e per cover, 15e per couch cover), and that he couldn't guarantee that the covers would not be damaged and there was limited info on the care label, and that from previous experience in the shop these were difficult to dry clean. I explained I previously had them dry-cleaned a few years ago, I think the cost was about 40euro, purely from memory. He advised that he could put them in as a 'bag-wash', as in wash all the items and press them, cost would be 15euro. I considered this and agreed, I figured I would see how clean they came out and go from there. I had been on the Ikea website before I dropped them in and knew that new covered were between 90-130euro each couch, so 90euro for cleaning seemed quite high. Had quite a lengthy chat in the shop at the time, talking about a range of stuff.

Anyhow agreed to 15euro bag wash, got my receipt which had 'bag wash' hand writing on it, and off I went. Went in 2 days later as instructed to collect the covers, they were placed back in the bag I had brought them into the shop in, all cushion covers were in underneath the 2 couch covers. When I collected the man gave the bag out to me without a word, I paid the money in cash and left. His till receipt was acting up and he didn't give me a receipt.

When I went to put the covers back on this weekend it turns out one of the cushion covers is missing, one of the corner covers. I assumed it was a mishap, and called back into the shop this morning to enquire. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that they didnt have the missing cover, and that they washed what I gave them. I explained that I had put everything into the bag, I had checked my house and car, and I def didnt have the missing cover. They questioned whether I could have dropped it when I was bringing in the stuff, however as the covers were underneath the main covers, which are pretty heavy, I can't see how that could have happened. I explained all of this, very nicely, and questioned if they could have another look around, but was told they didnt have the cover, and basically that was it. There were 2 in the shop, the person who had actually done the washing, and said that everything that was in the bag was washed. I asked if they had counted the items, and would not not seem strange that there were only 3 corner covers rather than 4, as all of the items would correspond, but again met with same answer that everything in the bag was washed and that was it.

I don't really know where I stand now. I am sure I don't have the cover, and I can't see how I could have lost it. I parked right up the road from the shop so can't see how I could have lost it en route, and that is the only place I am guessing it would have come out. The bag was pretty heavy so I was walking at a snails pace carrying it, and stopped frequently to change hands etc, so I really don't think anything fell out. Of course I can't confirm this for sure, and I have no proof of this. Also the items were not counted when I dropped them in so again I have no proof that all items were in the bag when I dropped it in.

Where I stand now is that I am going to have to purchase a whole new set of covers just to get that one missing cover. Also Ikea don't do the shade of couch anymore, so looking like will have to buy 2 entire sets. Now I will try ebay etc to see can I source one cover, and if I can that will be great, or maybe have one made, but I guess the point of it is I gave it in to be cleaned, and it didnt come back! I really don't want to deal with them again as they are incredibly hard to talk to, very defensive thoughout, and making me out to be a liar. I wondered did one of the covers get damaged in the wash and that is why they are not giving it back, it is easier to say it wasn't in the bag, but maybe I am being unnecessarily unfair and jumping to conclusions, I guess I just can't figure out any other explanation as to where its gone.

Any advice on what I should do, if anything, would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I just have to suck it up as I technically don't have any proof that they had any mistake here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Your word against theirs I'm afraid. You don't have an itemised list it and imo it wouldn't be strange to a dry cleaner to receive odd number of items, for all they know you could have a spare set of covers or forgot some.

All you can do now is ask them to get in touch in case the absent cover turns up in someone else's washing and gets returned or it's found somewhere.

Advertisement