Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car clutch issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Cheers for the feedback, It was done in November. Worked fine for couple of weeks but got grumbly just before christmas

Gearbox actually feels quite sticky aswell, never really taught of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd be asking the garage to follow up. Bad move letting somebody else near it especially a lad in a driveway (recovery men or anoyher garage would have documented/photographed the problem) because now the original garage were not the last people to work on it, you need to get your mechanic to tell you exactly what was wrong and bring it back to them armed with this information.

Normally I would be clinical like that but being honest it never crossed my mind. Had my mechanic look at it yesterday evening. The starter motor has fallen off.... I'm just wondering now if I am fighting a lost cause after letting someone else near it.

Bit of a dunce when it comes to this stuff but is the starter motor only used for starting the car. If it was to fall off in transit would the car continue on and would it throw up a warning light on the dash. I drove home from kerry on sunday night and there was no issue, next morning wouldnt start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Its a 6 year old car (and a Renault)

Expect regular repairs. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Maybe go a bit easier on the clutch.
    I know some people who can burn out a clutch in a few months.

The sitting position in a car can make a difference too,sitting to far back or too low can be hard on the clutch.

Especially people sitting like they are low down in a sports car leaning back etc

VincePP wrote: »
    Its a 6 year old car (and a Renault)

Expect regular repairs. :(

Ah I'm well aware but generally Renaults are mechanically bulletproof, there reliability issues is generally electrical
    Maybe go a bit easier on the clutch.
    I know some people who can burn out a clutch in a few months.

The sitting position in a car can make a difference too,sitting to far back or too low can be hard on the clutch.

Especially people sitting like they are low down in a sports car leaning back etc

Trust me Im a 17 stone rugby player with dodgy knees, Im as high as possible and we dont driive it hard at all, its a megane, far from a sports car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Ah I'm well aware but generally Renaults are mechanically bulletproof, there reliability issues is generally electrical

Still once a car gets to 5/6 years old, things start going wrong (just like us old fogeys :) )

A vehicle I have and which I was going to sell last year has cost me almost its value in the past 12 months - new clutch, new gearbox, new tyres, new battery and just on Tuesday the pulley went and needed new pulley and belt. - I'm seeign if paddy power will give me odds on the next thing to go! :)

Advertisement