Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stone Roses album - what would it sound like?

Options
  • 09-11-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

If the rumours are true, there's a good chance we'll be getting a new Stone Roses album sometime in the next 6 months. Question is, what's it going to sound like? A return to the classic sound of 1989? Something more like the Led Zep-aping Second Coming? Or something entirely new?

Ian Brown's albums were always more electronic sounding, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Roses will go that direction (though something like "Begging You" from Second Coming had electronic elements, and "Fools Gold" was built around a drum sample).

I'd say it'll be something more akin to the chiming guitar sound of the first album but with some more groovy material like "One Love". I'd say the vocals will be more focused than those of Second Coming, and there'll be at least 3 commercial pop-rock songs and one long wig out / I Am The Resurrection style crescendo. Having said that, I hope they don't just try and make the debut album pt 2; I'd like to hear something unexpected too (like something with a soul groove with horns and such).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

It would be very difficult to capture the vibe they had for the debut album. Mani said something about them all developing as musicians which led to the second album sounding so different. I can see something along the lines of the Second Coming which wouldn't be a bad thing. That being said hopefully they develop from what they produced then. Fingers crossed it happens at some stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You'd like to hope they would push on a bit from SC. Probably that guitar style, but maybe, as mentioned, more elements of horns or electronic etc.

Either way the rhythm section will be rock solid, as always, but a bit more refinement in the song writing would work better (more like the early stuff rather than SC). Some of the songs got a bit too 'wordy' compared to the earlier stuff, and that didn't always work.

My wish: Whatever they do, they just need to break the twenty year gap with something (which will obviously divide opinion). Do that, then follow up within the year with more new material ( an e.p. or a couple of singles).
    Basically, release material, and tour. Y'know, like normal bands do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah it would be good if there were two albums in the works, or a standalone EP in between the album, or even before the album.

However unless they've got recordings stockpiled I'd say that if they release an album and tour in 2016, it'll be a while before we hear from them again.

Yeah, I know I'm asking a lot from a band that were never very efficient on new releases, but hey.

They have always had a certain mystique about them, which most of the time I love, but sometimes it bores me. There are other bands I got in to around the same time, and I now have half a dozen albums from them, and have seen them a few times. Sometimes I feel cheated that I don't have that from the roses, but I guess you can't have it both ways.

Over the years I've spent more time listening to Ian Brown's solo records than the same Roses records over and over. There's only so many times you can listen to the same two (three with b-sides) albums all the time.

Ian Brown had six solo albums, which is pretty good, and most of them are good. The first three in particular are excellent. Never got into the Seahorses, I found them to be up there with Hurricane #1 as just Britpop wannabes, and never got any of Squire's solo albums. In fact, I don't think I ever heard them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Over the years I've spent more time listening to Ian Brown's solo records than the same Roses records over and over. There's only so many times you can listen to the same two (three with b-sides) albums all the time.

Ian Brown had six solo albums, which is pretty good, and most of them are good. The first three in particular are excellent. Never got into the Seahorses, I found them to be up there with Hurricane #1 as just Britpop wannabes, and never got any of Squire's solo albums. In fact, I don't think I ever heard them.

This is a pretty good song.

^ sounds like Dire Straits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Redlingerie

It would be good if there were two albums in the works, or a standalone EP in between the album, or even before the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

like Brown's solo records with a better backing band (and less mariachi horns) would be perfectly acceptable. The consensus first time around was that Squire was the genius in the Roses but The Second Coming (which suffered from being dominated by Squire) and their subsequent solo careers would suggest that Brown was much underrated.

loyatemu wrote: »
    The consensus first time around was that Squire was the genius in the Roses but The Second Coming (which suffered from being dominated by Squire) and their subsequent solo careers would suggest that Brown was much underrated.

Also it highlights what a great job Leckie did.

• Advertisement

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/stone-roses-release-first-album-7551523

Looks like something could be happening! (if you believe the Mirror)

Advertisement