Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No new rental contract given out

Options
  • 09-11-2015 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Quick one, and I know the answer already before I even ask.

I rent currently, My house is through a letting agency and has been for 5 years.

Every year on the button I get a new contract through the door about a week before my year is up.

This year, nothing has come through. I am very inclined to think it is due to the rental company not wanting to tie themselves up to anything with this rental issue hanging over them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

New contract is irrelevant, anyway, due to Part IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

New contract is irrelevant, anyway, due to Part IV.

Not really, If they give out a 12 month contract are they not bound by the price in the contract for another 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

allibastor wrote: »
    Not really, If they give out a 12 month contract are they not bound by the price in the contract for another 12 months

That is correct however legally speaking they don't actually need to have a contract at this point in time as they are on a part IV (which does entitle the rent to be increased).

That was what I was thinking, but I just find it odd that off all the years I have gotten a new contract every year this year is the first time it hasnt been sent out and rental is all over the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

allibastor wrote: »
    That was what I was thinking, but I just find it odd that off all the years I have gotten a new contract every year this year is the first time it hasnt been sent out and rental is all over the news.

I'm actually in the same situation, renting in the same place for 3 years and was due a new contract in July but the agency is useless and I rarely hear from them. I'm happy enough though, I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I don't have a current contract, it means should I wish to move I can with very short notice as I am not under any agreement :P

• Advertisement

I think you will still have to give a month, part IV and all that, I think it is more that if you have a new contract you cant get a rental increase once a new price has been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can be more than a month depending on length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

kingtut wrote: »
    I'm actually in the same situation, renting in the same place for 3 years and was due a new contract in July but the agency is useless and I rarely hear from them. I'm happy enough though, I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I don't have a current contract, it means should I wish to move I can with very short notice as I am not under any agreement :P

You are bound by part 4 notice lenghts. 8 weeks is the period if you are in over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The notice periods are different for Landlords and tenants.

Landlords notice periods:
    28 days - Less than 6 months
    35 days - 6 months or more but less than 1 year
    42 days - 1 year or more but less than 2 years
    56 days- 2 years or more but less than 3 years
    84 days - 3 years or more but less than 4 years
    112 days - 4 or more years

Notice periods for Tenants
    28 days - Less than 6 months
    35 days- 6 months or more but less than 1 year
    42 days- 1 year or more but less than 2 years
    56 days - 2 years or more