Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone red roaming tethering

Options
  • 09-11-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to tether using an android phone and a Vodafone sim to use the red roaming data allowance on via wifi on my main phone. It seemed to be working perfectly but then appeared to stop and all my credit was gone. I thought it was possible to tether on android and have it appear as just regular data usage? If anyone can advise a work around, please let me know. Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

cormie wrote: »
    I'm trying to tether using an android phone and a Vodafone sim to use the red roaming data allowance on via wifi on my main phone. It seemed to be working perfectly but then appeared to stop and all my credit was gone. I thought it was possible to tether on android and have it appear as just regular data usage? If anyone can advise a work around, please let me know. Any feedback appreciated :)

Vodafone have always made it clear in their terms and conditions that tethering will be charged at out-of-bundle roaming data rates. They were certainly able to control this on Apple devices - but they may now have figured out how to do it on Android?

https://support.vodafone.ie/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=ie&USERTYPE=1&ARTICLE_ID=2847888

You might be better to consider Meteor who give 50MB/day in Europe for 99c, or 1GB for €15 over 30 days. Although the daily allowance is lower than Vodafone, Meteor still allow tethering. If you are planning to use these SIMs mainly for roaming, you could choose a basic domestic base-plan of €10 per month and add on the roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the reply. That 1GB for €15 isn't so bad with meteor, but thankfully, I remembered the little trick that I did back when I was a bill pay customer with VF to get the tethering working on android and it's back working again now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Hi Cormie, would you be able to share this trick with me??

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

PM sent. Not sure if I need to be sending PM's but I will for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

I wouldn't mind knowing too please and thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement