Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Doing the J1 solo this summer! Well hoping to anyways. I've gotten as far as possible without securing a job/accommodation. I'm hoping to start hunting as soon as the new year settles in. Where abouts are you thinking of heading ?

Haven't got anywhere fixed in mind - I'm really willing to go anywhere where there's jobs, I don't want to book until I have that sorted. Accomodation is the main thing holding me back atm. The J1 agencies (usit, sayit etc) seem to be good at helping you find a job, but have little to say about accommodation, whereas I was hoping I would be able to find somewhere specifically seeking J1ers... I don't want to be completely at a loose end on my own somewhere I've never been before!

How's your hunt going - have you had any progress seeking jobs or accom? Where you thinking of going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭charliehotel

Mr.S wrote: »
    I doubt it, if anything it will just increase the amount of people going over on the Visa Waiver Program and getting cash jobs. Typical for J1 type jobs anyway!
    Haven't got anywhere fixed in mind - I'm really willing to go anywhere where there's jobs, I don't want to book until I have that sorted. Accomodation is the main thing holding me back atm. The J1 agencies (usit, sayit etc) seem to be good at helping you find a job

With the new rules, how is it intended for J1 applicants to be screened for their jobs? Skype interviews? Would the typical bars, restaurants etc. be open to accepting new employees whom they have never met?

Unless I'm missing something here, while there are still many suitable job vacancies, it's going to be a lot more difficult to actually secure a job before travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

Travel bug are still offering walk in visa's, not sure if they have sold out but I'm sure if enough people email them they will be able to accommodate some more students.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Hey everyone!

I had my heart set on doing a J1 summer 2016 but I've only just really realised that it's not so common to do it alone - which I was planning to. Has anyone done it on their own or is planning to go this year? Would be interesting to hear from a few people of how they got on as far as finding accomodation goes etc. If I do decide to go I'd hope to find accommodation with fellow J1ers. Would that be likely to happen if I go through an agency?

Thanks x

I'm going on mine on my own as well, depending if anyone I know decides to go as well. Boston is my first choice so far or Chicago. I haven't a clue about accommodation yet though.

For jobs, I find that the ones that SayIt have on their database aren't great for the Boston areas. Can you find more jobs through interexchange does anyone know? Relatively new at this :p

I found this website which looks really, really decent http://www.smallerearth.com/ie/ Smaller Earth or Camp Leaders - never heard of either before.

Thinking of applying for the holiday resort role. €799 for visa, insurance and flights sound really good. The only thing that I'm unsure about atm is the accommodation - it says you get paid $130 for 32 hrs work per week so I'm assuming that would be minus the cost of accom.?

Has anyone heard of this company or had any experience with them?

• Advertisement

Yeah the price for summer camps is cheaper but I think them visa's seem to be different than j1 holiday work visas I don't think they offer the same stay.

user.name wrote:
    For jobs, I find that the ones that SayIt have on their database aren't great for the Boston areas. Can you find more jobs through interexchange does anyone know? Relatively new at this

user.name wrote:
    I'm going on mine on my own as well, depending if anyone I know decides to go as well. Boston is my first choice so far or Chicago. I haven't a clue about accommodation yet though.

What types of jobs do they have for New York?

Is there many in Manhatthan?

Also do they have many for Myrtle beach?

Dublin991 wrote: »
    What types of jobs do they have for New York?

Is there many in Manhatthan?

Also do they have many for Myrtle beach?

They have some for pier 66 maritime and a restaurant called tree bistro but other than that not much. They have job fairs at the end of january and you have to book interviews soon. I was hoping to get onto interexchange to see what other jobs they have because the ones in the database aren't great, I guess I can afford to be a bit picky at this stage :p

user.name wrote:
    They have some for pier 66 maritime and a restaurant called tree bistro but other than that not much. They have job fairs at the end of january and you have to book interviews soon. I was hoping to get onto interexchange to see what other jobs they have because the ones in the database aren't great, I guess I can afford to be a bit picky at this stage

That's really why I don't want to pay so much for them to just land a ****ty job that I'm going to hate all summer.

Where is majority of sayits jobs?

I heard USIT'S data base is pretty similar.

That's really why I don't want to pay so much for them to just land a ****ty job that I'm going to hate all summer.

Where is majority of sayits jobs?

I heard USIT'S data base is pretty similar.

They have jobs in various different cities, it depends on where you are planning to go. I'm the same, none of the jobs appeal to me they have photography places, moving companies etc. I know that working is a big part of it especially in funding yourself over there, but I've spent every summer since school working full time here, what to enjoy a summer for once.

• Advertisement

user.name wrote:
    They have jobs in various different cities, it depends on where you are planning to go. I'm the same, none of the jobs appeal to me they have photography places, moving companies etc. I know that working is a big part of it especially in funding yourself over there, but I've spent every summer since school working full time here, what to enjoy a summer for once.

I heard that one of the rules is you can't work for removal companies?

I really just want bar or restaurant work maybe retail in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I heard that one of the rules is you can't work for removal companies?

I really just want bar or restaurant work maybe retail in the right place.

I've heard the moval companies are the worst jobs because theres no gaurentee of work. Its kind of like the pick the out of a pool each day and those are the people that get work. The rest get sent home. That was from a friend who J1ed in SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 minipaperclip

Hi!

Me and a few of my friends really want to go to San Fran this summer on a J1. We plan to stay in Berkeley, as it seems easy to get cheap accommodation there, and work in San Fran itself. Does anybody have any ideas, tips or experiences about going about getting a job in the area? I've been looking on craigslist but it seems that it will be difficult to secure a job using that for another few months. We plan on going through SAYIT. Does anybody know if their job database is good for this area?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Colleenamber

Hi,

I am planning on applying for the J1 programme for summer 2016. Originally I wasn't planning on using third party agency USIT, GOFORLESS, etc. However as you may know the J1 rules have dramatically changed and if I understand correctly students secure employment before they may even apply for the visa.

"Irish J-1 Work & Travel USA participants now must receive an offer of employment by a US employer before they will be issued the documents they need to apply for a visa."
    (Quote: j1online.ie/)

Has any one got any advice on how to apply without using an agency?
    Any advice on getting a job or employers details?
    Advice on which city would be the best for getting work, specifically bar work?
    Finally any advice on how much money be required to comfortable?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

I'm planning to go this year to, don't want to end up going and not knowing anyone atall though!

A lot of people do the J1 on their own they either end up arranging to stay with Iriah people on the likes of here and Facebook etc.. but either way places like New York, Myrtle beach etc. Do be swarmed with Irish so you will meet people over there

I have uploaded an app for J1 students to chat and arrange accommodation etc. On the play store. Just search J1 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

I found this website which looks really, really decent http://www.smallerearth.com/ie/ Smaller Earth or Camp Leaders - never heard of either before.

Thinking of applying for the holiday resort role. €799 for visa, insurance and flights sound really good. The only thing that I'm unsure about atm is the accommodation - it says you get paid $130 for 32 hrs work per week so I'm assuming that would be minus the cost of accom.?

Has anyone heard of this company or had any experience with them?

Have you found out anything more about this? I had a look online but couldn't find any reviews etc.

Thanks

Have you found out anything more about this? I had a look online but couldn't find any reviews etc.

Thanks

I gave them a call the other day. So the $130 wage per week is minus the cost of accomodation, and the place you're staying with organises the accom with you, generally with other J1 and international students/staff.

Smaller Earth have 2 programs - Camp Leaders and Resort Leaders. Both have websites and fb/Twitter pages. If you search on Twitter for either you'll find a bit of buzz, they seem to recruit from everywhere and have students coming from all over the world to work in the US. I've looked more into Resort Leaders because it seems more my thing - on their website it has a list of some of the places you could be working in and they all look so fabulous. The man on the phone said also that they were hoping this would be the year they really take off - so I'd say it's a fairly new company but I really like the look of it

I'm waiting to hear back if I get an Erasmus place first and if not I'm definitely going to book with Resort Leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LaurCole

hey myself and 3 of my friends were thinking of heading to Ocean City Md this summer on a J1 and I was wondering if anyone who previously went has any advice on accommodation?

Hi!

Me and a few of my friends really want to go to San Fran this summer on a J1. We plan to stay in Berkeley, as it seems easy to get cheap accommodation there, and work in San Fran itself. Does anybody have any ideas, tips or experiences about going about getting a job in the area? I've been looking on craigslist but it seems that it will be difficult to secure a job using that for another few months. We plan on going through SAYIT. Does anybody know if their job database is good for this area?

Thanks in advance.

SAYIT have a few jobs on their database, but they also hook up up with interexchange that has loads of jobs on it, I'd book it soon though they have a jobs fair at the end of the month with interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hi!

Thanks in advance.

Would you be able to share a link to where you're finding cheap accommodation in Berkeley?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

Just a world of advice for anyone who is applying for the j1+job with Usit, I no from my j1 last year that many people got screwed over with this package . allot of the jobs prearranged were located in awful dodgy places in cities in America . If your paying the extra cash for the prearranged job with Usit make sure you look into it and ask Usit where your job will be in the city before you pay for it .

Backpack20 wrote:
    Just a world of advice for anyone who is applying for the j1+job with Usit, I no from my j1 last year that many people got screwed over with this package . allot of the jobs prearranged were located in awful dodgy places in cities in America . If your paying the extra cash for the prearranged job with Usit make sure you look into it and ask Usit where your job will be in the city before you pay for it .

It's the new rules for booking with usit and sayit that you have to have a pre arranged job, so unless you were lucky enough to book a walk in visa with travel bug you have no other option.

The total cost with flights etc. With us it is working out at around 1800-2000 which is a total rip off compared to last year.

Had an interview today for a hotel in Ocean City, got offered the job on the spot so was delighted! I think getting the Skype interview is the hard part, the interview itself is all about being enthusiastic and positive!

Anyways it's time to start looking for accommodation, where would be the best place to start? Craigslist? Would I find student summer accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jem92

Myself and a friend are thinking about going to Florida this Summer for the J1.. has anyone know anything about accommodation in Miami or Orlando? Or is there anyone else that is thinking about going to Florida? There is only two of us so we would happily share accommodation with anyone doing a J1 there..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shinnaynay

Any one else get a job in Splash Mountain Ocean City??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 _daveh_

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    Hi, Myself and a few friends are hoping to travel to Montauk on J1 this year and have been trying to contact ann breyers cottages but haven't been able to get through to them. Has anyone had this problem or anyone know any other reasonable accommodation in Montauk?
    Have you guys any accommodation sorted yet this summer ? apart form ann breyers do ye know anywhere that has cheap accomm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Has anyone had any luck finding jobs through the Interexchange system? Seems like a bit of a lottery really, as the employers don't see your CV unless they ask for it. I've tried everything else I can think of too, but I'm really starting to panic at this stage.

DeeTee100 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck finding jobs through the Interexchange system? Seems like a bit of a lottery really, as the employers don't see your CV unless they ask for it. I've tried everything else I can think of too, but I'm really starting to panic at this stage.

Who are you completing your J1 Visa with ? USIT? SayIt? (Cant think of any others). Try contacting them to begin with and express your concern! I found the USIT system easy to use and secured a job after my first interview. I think its just a case of finding a company that is advertising spots rather than just blindly applying to loads.

Then once you do get an interview just be as enthusiastic as possible! During mine they didn't really ask me about any of my skills or past experience, was more so about my plans for the summer, what I hoped to achieve etc.

Out of curiousty where are you planning on going? Have you considered changing location to try and help with the job search?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shinnaynay

DeeTee100 wrote: »

I found the email for the places I applied for through inter exchange on google, and shot them a personal email explaining how I'd applied through interexchange and thought it would be nice to send a personal email with my cv. Sell your self in the email.

I applied for a waterpark through interexchange, hadn't heard back after a week or two. Got impatient and decided to google a contact for them. Eventually got the managers email and told her about my situation. She then said shed search for me on her interexchange applicants and select me. I've got a job now! And my embassy meeting Friday. If you show more personal interest they'll pick you out of the list over those who don't do any further applying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Who are you completing your J1 Visa with ? USIT? SayIt? (Cant think of any others). Try contacting them to begin with and express your concern! I found the USIT system easy to use and secured a job after my first interview. I think its just a case of finding a company that is advertising spots rather than just blindly applying to loads.

Then once you do get an interview just be as enthusiastic as possible! During mine they didn't really ask me about any of my skills or past experience, was more so about my plans for the summer, what I hoped to achieve etc.

Out of curiousty where are you planning on going? Have you considered changing location to try and help with the job search?

I'm with SAYIT. I've already done three interviews with them and applied for about 6 more through their online system. I did call them a few weeks ago and they admitted it was strange that I hadn't had any responses at all, but all they could advise was to keep trying.

I was intending to go with a friend, who managed to get a job in Chicago, I'm not sure if I'd be prepared to go elsewhere on my own.

Advertisement