If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget audio question

Options
  • 09-11-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I'm considering purchasing a pioneer x-em12 for my living room which is quite small - about 13 square metres. I mainly want it to play a DAP through so don't really need the CD or radio function and that's why I'm wondering would an amp and speakers be a better option. I'm on a tight enough budget - would pay max €150ish. If its not possible, I understand but interested to hear the options you might have.

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi sorry for the delay in reply.  Certainly a seperate amp and speakers would give a much better sound than a budget hif system.  Something like the  Morduant short m10's

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200629-m10.aspx

and the cambridge am1

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10602-topaz-am1.aspx

I know they are slightly over your budget but they will sound better than a hifi system at similar price.

Regards Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Thanks for the help with that - sorry to go back and ask more questions but I may have managed to get a second hand set of mission speakers so would I be better off spending an extra few bob on a better amp that then initial recommendation?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

levi wrote: »
    Thanks for the help with that - sorry to go back and ask more questions but I may have managed to get a second hand set of mission speakers so would I be better off spending an extra few bob on a better amp that then initial recommendation?
    Yep is the straight answer - if you can you are always better off spending a decent amount on the front end of a system - ie Source / Amp as any detail lost at the early stages of reproduction can never be recovered - the key is to hold onto the detail for as long through the chain as possible - of course this is always in the realm of a balanced system and advice is given on the basis that the Missions are fairly decent!

The next logical amp if you were to upgrade is the Cambridge AM5

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10594-topaz-am5.aspx

the AM5 is just €179 and that price includes shipping - it gives a really impressive performance lift over the basic AM1 and it sounds as well as many far more expensive amps - however it is pretty basic when it comes to the feature count.

If you could bust the budget and you wanted something that would really enhance your DAP ( assuming it has a digital output) have a look at te Monitor Audio A100 - its an amazing amp for the price:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200564-a100.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Thanks for the help guys - think I'm gonna hold off for a bit and see if I can get a few extra bob together for the better system.

Thanks!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

No probs - thanks for coming back to us and give us a shout when you are shopping again and we will do our very best for you,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.