Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1080p to 1440p

Options
  • 09-11-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi there,

Ive been gaming at 1080p for a while now and its been fine but kinda have the itch to upgrade again. With the new Asus rog swift ips monitor just out i said id look into it if it was somewhat affordable. Have my current pc specs listed below, was thinkin of sellin the 970 and goin for a 980ti then overclocking. Another issue then is the CPU, not too sure if i need to upgrade it.

Current GPU: Msi gtx 970
    CPU: i5 4460
    Motherboard: Msi z97 pc mate
    8gb RAM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1080p to 1440p isn't going to have any effect on your CPU usage.

The 970 should be fairly good for 1440p too

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Yeah I guess it'd be fine but I wouldn't really be utilising the monitor then, part of the upgrade would really be to get the fps up, probably didn't really mention that originally. At least not having to upgrade the CPU is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Got asus rog swift recently have a gtx 970, Get the monitor so same boatish. See how it goes. If the 970 not cutting it for games you are playing move from there. But Try hold off till new cards.

Like digital said cpu won't really impact. It's a decent one.

Makes sense sterling! Where did you buy your monitor? Been looking around a few places lowest I can find is 950

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was in the same boat but was going from 1920x1200.
    I made the move about 18 months ago to a 1440 catleap monitor and sold it a week later, colours were terrible,contrast and brightness poor also but most of all it felt bad to game with as response time felt very sluggish.

More recently i wanted to upgrade from my trusty dell 1920x1200 60hz, i considered a 1440 ips 60hz but i went with 144hz gsync 1ms 1080 monitor and i simply couldnt play on a 60hz monitor again, the difference is absolutely massive and lot more so than going to 1440 imo.

If you can afford it and a card/cards to push 1440 close to 144 fps and ips id go with such a monitor.
    I planned to but after reading so much about major issues with offerings from acer and asus i decided to hold off.
    The monitor i bought has shown me what gsync and 144hz is like and its a total game changer for me,if and when asus and acer get their act together i might just make a move to gsync 1440 144hz IPS but for now im more than happy with the insane performance from my current monitor.
    Worth considering and you wont have to upgrade from your 970, im running an evga 970 getting 144fps to keep my 144hz happy in all games.

• Advertisement

Yeah cully u make a very good point! I think it'd be more realistic to go for a 1080p 144hz gsync monitor! I mean id probably have to spend well over a thousand between the asus rog and a better GPU to get 120 average fps at 1440p. And the reviews on these monitors aren't that convincing either! Just wondering do you recommend any makes or models in particular? Thinking of a BenQ XL2420G myself?

Well the way i looked at it was id need to spend €850 on an acer predator or asus rog IPS 144hz Gsync 27" 1440 screen [and pray it had no issues which in itself is very risky] then id need another 970 or a single 980ti to do the 144hz justice @1440.
    Amazing if you can afford it.

I looked at that benq amongst others but reviews point to the AOC G2460PG as being the best [24" of this spec] bang per buck out there,all of that spec had similar performance but the AOC seems to have better colours according to reviews.
    Build quality is also superb ,almost as good as my dell u2412m i sold recently and better than any other monitor ive had you couldnt go wrong with the benq either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

A 970 is comfortable enough at 1440p for the moment, and can even manage 4K at a pinch (I have GTA V running at a solid 60fps on my 4K secondary). I'd hold off on upgrading the GPU for the time being.

Do yourself a favour and opt for G-Sync though, this way you will barely notice any temporary frame rate dips should the card end up struggling a little.

Dcully wrote:
    I looked at that benq amongst others but reviews point to the AOC G2460PG as being the best [24" of this spec] bang per buck out there,all of that spec had similar performance but the AOC seems to have better colours according to reviews. Build quality is also superb ,almost as good as my dell u2412m i sold recently and better than any other monitor ive had you couldnt go wrong with the benq either.

Dcully wrote:
    Well the way i looked at it was id need to spend €850 on an acer predator or asus rog IPS 144hz Gsync 27" 1440 screen [and pray it had no issues which in itself is very risky] then id need another 970 or a single 980ti to do the 144hz justice @1440. Amazing if you can afford it.

I've mulled it over a lot! Think im gonna take the plunge and buy one of these AOC's! They look impressive and will scratch the upgrading itch for a while anyway! The Spanish amazon has them new for e411, 436 when i go to checkout, just wondering is there anywhere cheaper? Thanks for the help so far, really appreciated.

Sneak wrote: »
    I've mulled it over a lot! Think im gonna take the plunge and buy one of these AOC's! They look impressive and will scratch the upgrading itch for a while anyway! The Spanish amazon has them new for e411, 436 when i go to checkout, just wondering is there anywhere cheaper? Thanks for the help so far, really appreciated.

scan.co.uk had them for around the same think overclockers uk were a bit more expensive.
    Im sure you have checked out reviews?

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote:
    scan.co.uk had them for around the same think overclockers uk were a bit more expensive. Im sure you have checked out reviews?

Yea compared to the acer and benq versions they're pretty similar performance wise, the aoc seems to have the best colours! Think I'm gonna go for it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Scan seem to be out of stock until January!
    Spanish amazon looks like the best option. Mindfactory comes out about the same after the 30euro delivery charge.

Sneak wrote: »
    Yea compared to the acer and benq versions they're pretty similar performance wise, the aoc seems to have the best colours! Think I'm gonna go for it anyway!

Yeah thats why i went with it too, you wont regret it.
    Most recently i had both a dell IPS 5ms 60hz and an LG ultrawide 4ms 60hz and the performance difference is massive, games are just buttery smooth now,it really has to be seen to be believed.

Dcully wrote:
    Yeah thats why i went with it too, you wont regret it. Most recently i had both a dell IPS 5ms 60hz and an LG ultrawide 4ms 60hz and the performance difference is massive, games are just buttery smooth now,it really has to be seen to be believed.

Thanks man! Order placed for one. Looking forward to using it!

Have the new monitor anyway, ended up getting it for 250 second hand plus i sold my own one for 100. For only a 150 euro spend the difference is absolutely massive! Could honestly never see myself going back to 60hz! Games are just so much more smooth! Playing better in all fps games, just seem to have more time to react along with being able to see targets better while moving. The gsync addition makes it seem like the framerate never budges! For the money i spent I'm absolutely delighted with the upgrade would definitely recommend it to anyone.

I knew you would be well impressed,144hz gsync really has to be seen to be believed.
    Enjoy it!

Advertisement