Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Tri questions

Options
  • 09-11-2015 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

I hope this is ok, it works really well in another forum and I've found it really helpful for newbie as well as more advanced/experienced athletes questions.

I'm going to start with this...

I recently completed a 'try a tri' of 200m (pool), 10k cycle and 4k run. I came into this from a running background where I traditionally run 4/5 days a week. I'm slow as hell but I have good endurance.
    I'm now also doing a turbo class, a swim class and getting in two short swims per week.
    I'm bleedin knackered. What'll I do, drop a run? How many times a week would a typical newbie run? I don't want my running to suffer at all, I'm already a lot slower than I'd like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

libelula wrote: »
    I hope this is ok, it works really well in another forum and I've found it really helpful for newbie as well as more advanced/experienced athletes questions.

I'm going to start with this...

I recently completed a 'try a tri' of 200m (pool), 10k cycle and 4k run. I came into this from a running background where I traditionally run 4/5 days a week. I'm slow as hell but I have good endurance.
    I'm now also doing a turbo class, a swim class and getting in two short swims per week.
    I'm bleedin knackered. What'll I do, drop a run? How many times a week would a typical newbie run? I don't want my running to suffer at all, I'm already a lot slower than I'd like.

Sleep more, eat better and drop a run until your body adapts to the increased training hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

BTH wrote: »
    Sleep more, eat better and drop a run until your body adapts to the increased training hours.

That's about as clear and concise as you could ask for! Thanks BTH :)

Do you guys have active rest days or full rest days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Depends on the individual, but most will train 7 days a week (with quite a few double days too). Its a lot less stressful on your body if you mix up the sports, and swim and bike are minimal impact anyway. An easy hour on the turbo/bike will beat an easy hour on the couch any day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah I would generally train every day, even if my 'training' is a 45 minute swim...which doesn't really feel like training anymore. With swimming, when you get a bit more comfortable in the water, even a hard session isn't quite that hard on the body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Depends whether the body is tired or the mind. If you're sore and physically tired, an easy session usually leaves you feeling invigorated after. If your mind is in need of a break a coffee and the odd slice of cake can be the best cure.

RJM85 wrote: »
    Depends whether the body is tired or the mind. If you're sore and physically tired, an easy session usually leaves you feeling invigorated after. If your mind is in need of a break a coffee and the odd slice of cake can be the best cure.

That makes perfect sense, and the more I swim, the more I can see why this would be great for recovery.

There'll definitely be double days, but at least I know that it's normal enough not to take a complete day off, because there really aren't enough days in the week for all of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

You can help yourself with how you plan your training too. So if you have a hard run session try and get it done early, then the next day maybe an easy bike in the evening. Will give you a nice long gap between the two sessions. Or an easy swim the morning and then an easy bike. So no real days off but plenty of time between sessions to recover.

joey100 wrote: »
    You can help yourself with how you plan your training too. So if you have a hard run session try and get it done early, then the next day maybe an easy bike in the evening. Will give you a nice long gap between the two sessions. Or an easy swim the morning and then an easy bike. So no real days off but plenty of time between sessions to recover.

Yeh that's where I'm at at the minute, I've still got a week of "easy" training to do since the marathon and I've been sort of just doing what I felt like when I felt like. From next week thought I'm allowed back to normal training and so just kind of figuring out what to do when :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I do take a complete off day about once in 2 weeks and probably 1 "active rest" day once in a week or week and a half. After talking about it with my coach we figured that's the best approach for me, but he did mention that he has a few colleagues/athletes doing only "active rest" days once in a week or so where you do a small amount of aerobic training or whatever combination relaxes you - with that in mind I would say try both and decide what suits you more...

• Advertisement

Are wetsuits essential/regulation for open water triathlons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They are in Ireland pretty much all of the time.

AKW wrote: »
    They are in Ireland pretty much all of the time.

Cool thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

libelula wrote: »
    Cool thanks :)

It's due to water temperature (I'm freezing anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've done a couple of races in the UK which mandated them even with water temperatures at/over the wetsuits banned limit (22c for sprint and Olympic distance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep wetsuits are essential for pretty much all races in Ireland, but it doesn't have to be a triathlon wetsuit. If you wanted you would get away with a shorty wetsuit from Aldi or a surfing wetsuit. Probably find someone to lend you some sort of wetsuit for your first race to see how you get on if you don't want to invest in a tri one straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I've done a couple of races in the UK which mandated them even with water temperatures at/over the wetsuits banned limit (22c for sprint and Olympic distance).

Where in the UK was this? I've never heard of temperatures of over about 18 C anywhere in the UK or Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Eton Dorney for a sprint tri and Hyde Park for an aquathon. Water 22-23c in both cases. A heatwave in London and the surroundings can make open water very warm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Wow, must do one of them some time so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jaysus, after 1500m in the Atlantic this summer I was fit to rip the damn suit off it was so warm. Sea was about 14.5 so if you're cold you're not working hard enough in the water ;)

• Advertisement

TI rules say that wetsuits are compulsory in all races. They don't stipulate anything about water temps. Probably generally not necessary in Ireland...TI would probably just cancel the swim if water was too warm :pac:

TI rules say that wetsuits are compulsory in all races. They don't stipulate anything about water temps. Probably generally not necessary in Ireland...TI would probably just cancel the swim if water was too warm :pac:

Unless the rule book changed they do state the water temps minimum and maximum and distances allowed for those water temps.

AKW wrote: »
    Unless the rule book changed they do state the water temps minimum and maximum and distances allowed for those water temps.

What I mean is they don't state wetsuits not allowed at temps above x degrees. From what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What I mean is they don't state wetsuits not allowed at temps above x degrees. From what I can remember.

Would be the same as IM rules as the ones in IMde, Roth and Austria and the rest are run under ITU rules

What's the craic with TT bikes and the forward facing handlebars? Are they just more comfortable?

Aerodynamics.

Advertisement