Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching dog to fetch

• 09-11-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭

We adopted a dog at the weekend (5 year old Collie) and while he's great in most aspects the kids would love if he played fetch.

I've looked it up and most guides assume that the dog will at least pick up the toy / ball / stick but this dog won't.

Any tips or should we just accept that he's not bothered in those things?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I've no tips for you unfortunately frash, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! My new adopted dog has no interest in fetch as yet. I'll be interested to see what people suggest for you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well start one step earlier; reward him and make a great fuss if he's close to the ball and then work up from there. May still not work (that's dog's personality for you) but it may work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm in the process of trying to teach my dog to fetch, presently the dog will run after the item but then picks it up and starts chewing it, if I go near him to ask him to drop it he runs off around the garden thinking I'll chash him, will let you know what works, if anything does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

Ziycon wrote: »
    I'm in the process of trying to teach my dog to fetch, presently the dog will run after the item but then picks it up and starts chewing it, if I go near him to ask him to drop it he runs off around the garden thinking I'll chash him, will let you know what works, if anything does.

Think you're at the treat stage to get him to release the ball.
    My dog just goes over & looks at it and then gives me a "this is beneath me look".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We trained Opie to play fetch by starting with getting him to give a toy he was playing with himself. Like he'd have his rope toy, I'd grab it and encourage tug of war, and then when he got into it, I'd stop (while keeping a strong grip on toy). He was taught this way to let go if he wanted to resume play. As soon as he let go, I'd give it back to him! After this became common sense to him, I started the same thing, instead I would throw it a small distance. Eventually he started to associate group play with me holding the toy, and the only way I could hold the toy is if he gave it to me.

It seems overly complicated (Opie is a rescue collie as well) but the crux of the lesson was teaching him how to include a human in his play. We worked from close range upward and now I can throw a toy as far as my strength will allow, and he knows to bring it back IF he wants to play with me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP look up some YouTube videos of/Google shaping. So as Nody says you start with rewarding any interaction with the ball so say looking at it then slowly build from there by withholding the treat/reward until the dog does something else like touching with his nose,paw and then once they have that withhold again and see if you can get more. Start with slow sessions. You don't need a clicker btw - just saying yes! Good! Etc will be enough.
    EG - https://positively.com/dog-training/methods-equipment/training-methods/shaping/

Have you thought of doing an obedience class/course with the dog? You can bring the kids along so they can take part and learn what works/how your dog learns best. Any kids who've been in classes I've been to have loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

When I adopted my dog she ignored toys. I don't think she had much experience of toys or playing. Now.she is settled in and relaxed she loves to chase the ball and even brings it back sometimes. Ball on a rope is her favourite though.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We trained Opie to play fetch by starting with getting him to give a toy he was playing with himself. Like he'd have his rope toy, I'd grab it and encourage tug of war, and then when he got into it, I'd stop (while keeping a strong grip on toy). He was taught this way to let go if he wanted to resume play. As soon as he let go, I'd give it back to him! After this became common sense to him, I started the same thing, instead I would throw it a small distance. Eventually he started to associate group play with me holding the toy, and the only way I could hold the toy is if he gave it to me.

It seems overly complicated (Opie is a rescue collie as well) but the crux of the lesson was teaching him how to include a human in his play. We worked from close range upward and now I can throw a toy as far as my strength will allow, and he knows to bring it back IF he wants to play with me :o

Thanks but he doesn't seem interested in any toys so far so can't try that approach.

tk123 wrote: »
    OP look up some YouTube videos of/Google shaping. So as Nody says you start with rewarding any interaction with the ball so say looking at it then slowly build from there by withholding the treat/reward until the dog does something else like touching with his nose,paw and then once they have that withhold again and see if you can get more. Start with slow sessions. You don't need a clicker btw - just saying yes! Good! Etc will be enough.
    EG - https://positively.com/dog-training/methods-equipment/training-methods/shaping/

Have you thought of doing an obedience class/course with the dog? You can bring the kids along so they can take part and learn what works/how your dog learns best. Any kids who've been in classes I've been to have loved it!

Some good ideas there - thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

frash wrote: »
    We adopted a dog at the weekend (5 year old Collie) and while he's great in most aspects the kids would love if he played fetch.

I've looked it up and most guides assume that the dog will at least pick up the toy / ball / stick but this dog won't.

Any tips or should we just accept that he's not bothered in those things?

give him a bit more time to get used to his new environment and new family

possibly never had any toys to play with up to now poor pet
    collies as a rule are very smart and pick things up vey fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Some dogs just don't like playing fetch unfortunately! My collie is all for chasing the ball but once she has it, she is happy to chew away to herself. My terrier on the other hand loves fetch!

I had the issue where she would get it but wouldn't drop it for me. Someone stopped me on a walk once and suggested bringing two balls. The moment your dog sees you have a second ball, they will come over and will drop the first one so to get the other one. Once they get used to that, start phasing out one ball! Worked like a charm for me.

Ashbx wrote: »
    Some dogs just don't like playing fetch unfortunately! My collie is all for chasing the ball but once she has it, she is happy to chew away to herself. My terrier on the other hand loves fetch!

I had the issue where she would get it but wouldn't drop it for me. Someone stopped me on a walk once and suggested bringing two balls. The moment your dog sees you have a second ball, they will come over and will drop the first one so to get the other one. Once they get used to that, start phasing out one ball! Worked like a charm for me.

Thanks - just need to get him to pick up the ball first :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

frash wrote: »
    Thanks - just need to get him to pick up the ball first :confused:

We're six weeks in with our rescue dog and (as I posted in another thread) we have just had a second of playing from her earlier this week and some interest in a ball that's full of treats last night. Is he a confident dog normally? Obviously you could have an entirely different situation from me, but you might find that he changes dramatically as he becomes more comfortable with you.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    We're six weeks in with our rescue dog and (as I posted in another thread) we have just had a second of playing from her earlier this week and some interest in a ball that's full of treats last night. Is he a confident dog normally? Obviously you could have an entirely different situation from me, but you might find that he changes dramatically as he becomes more comfortable with you.

Seems happy enough generally (apart from in the vets but that's another thread).
    Hopefully he'll come around to playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

My collie was quiet nervous when I got her first and had no interest in toys. A friend minded her while I was away and she was playing ball with her own collie. My girl picked up fetch from watching my friends dog and now chasing a ball is her favourite thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Someone's posted it already but I used the method where you reward the dog for looking at the object (I used a stick of a comfortable size for the dog's mouth). Then rewarded only for interacting with it. Then for interacting with it with her muzzle- poking it. Then only for poking enthusiastically or with open mouth.

Couldn't get past that for ages and ages- she'd lose it intermittently and go straight back to using her paw. But once she picked it up the first time, and saw my enthusiasm, she got what was wanted. So then you reward it for getting the stick in its mouth, then for picking it up slightly, then for holding it properly. Then you put the stick behind the dog, and the dog grabs it and turns round to you for the reward.

Sorry for going through it in such detail- there are better trainers than I out there who have websites with step-by-step instructions and troubleshooting. But just to let you know, it does work. My dog for over a decade had literally no interest in picking up objects. Today I looked up to find that she had brought her food bowl in to me, to give me a hint. Now, it took ages- but she was an old dog who'd never learned anything by this method before.

Edit: you'll need some really clear moment for telling the dog the very second it gets it right. "Good dog" is too long. "Yes!", a click with your tongue or clicker, will work provided you've associated these with being given food. And you need lots of small treats- you can use the dinner if you feed kibble. You reward initially for any interaction and once the dog definitely understands this, has understood for a while, and has been offering those behaviours, you gradually make it more specific. And when it tries something new that is right, you 'throw a party', praise lavishly and give a few rewards at once.

Advertisement