Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F...ing HSE inspectors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Penn wrote: »
    No, "didn't bother" would indicate that he didn't care if she was over 18 or not. "Presuming" implies he made a judgement call.

Again, he was wrong both in doing so and in his judgement call, but I absolutely fail to see why you're treating him more harshly than someone who knowingly sold cigarettes to a 10 year old.

Because the person who sold the cigarettes to a 10 year old had confirmed that they would be consumed by an adult. The OP'S did not.

Also, as has been pointed out by others, referring to the people as "gob****es" when they did their job and the OP failed to do his is hardly conducive to sympathy.

Did the OP think we would all pile on the inspectors for successfully doing their jobs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 overcharged

Mr glorious gobs....te <snip> was the inspector on that terrible day.
    Now it's my turn to see if he obeys the law.
    Gonna follow him up in every detail.
    Road tax, insurance, tv licence etc
    I will be good citizen :)

By the way I have no sympathy for
    smokers the sooner they die the better
    for the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

All sympathy for the OP out the window now..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Mr glorious gobs....te <SNIP>was the inspector on that terrible day.

for the rest of society.
    Why are you angry with the inspector instead of the boss who scapegoated you?

Because he was initially the person who envisioned
    the whole successful situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Mr glorious gobs....te <snip> was the inspector on that terrible day. Now it's my turn to see if he obeys the law. Gonna follow him up in every detail. Road tax, insurance, tv licence etc I will be good citizen

Really showing everyone who the gobshoite is alright.

If it was me I'd be more worried about getting a new job than seeking some sort of vengeance or revenge on someone who did their job properly in the first place - unlike yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mr glorious gobs....te <SNIP>was the inspector on that terrible day.

for the rest of society.

So you would like me to Die eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kev W wrote: »
    Because the person who sold the cigarettes to a 10 year old had confirmed that they would be consumed by an adult. The OP'S did not.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Tobacco_Control.html

It is illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone under the age of 18 years, even if they are for someone else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Penn wrote: »
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Tobacco_Control.html

It is illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone under the age of 18 years, even if they are for someone else.

Yes but re-read what what in the article:

The man's supervisor wrote in her statement that she told Mr Keogh he should not have sold the cigarettes "even though we both knew they were for her mother sitting in the car".

So the supervisor admitted he knew the cigs were for someone else. Its up to the shop to sack the employee not the HSE.

I'm not looking for the job now, not for today anyway.
    His job was to control of tabacco sales.
    My volunteer job would be to find any
    detail in misconduct
    from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Duiske wrote: »
    They can't throw the book at him/her. Its the business owners who are open to prosecution, not the staff.

This is untrue. Both the owners and the individual who sold it can be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not looking for the job now, not for today anyway.
    His job was to control of tabacco sales.
    My volunteer job would be to find any
    detail in misconduct
    from this.

He did his job, properly
    You screwed up your job, hugely

Go get another job and get over it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good to see this being enforced, sucks for OP but then he/she didn't do their job when they sold the product to somebody under age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yes but re-read what what in the article:

The man's supervisor wrote in her statement that she told Mr Keogh he should not have sold the cigarettes "even though we both knew they were for her mother sitting in the car".

So the supervisor admitted he knew the cigs were for someone else. Its up to the shop to sack the employee not the HSE.

I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that in both cases, the employees sold to someone who was underage. In OP's case (even though he's now lost all sympathy from me with his latest posts), he thought the customer was over 18 and took the chance instead of asking for ID. In the case linked to with Mr.Keogh, the customer was 10 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My sympathy with the op has wained somewhat

Moreover I think that idiots like chain smokers
    damage themselves and die directly from
    results of smoking related illnesses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

By the way there would be no problem if someone
    over 18 bought 66 packs of cigarettes?
    F....ing ridiculous.

Course there wouldn't be....because the person over 18 is an adult and it is legal.

You don't see an issue with selling drink or cigs to somebody who isn't an adult, what the heck is wrong with you?

So what? Just get another job and move on. The only person you should feel angry towards is your employer and that's only because you could get 10 grand out of this.

I have an idea for you, why dont you chain smoke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Is the Op the same Dutch lad who wanted to raise a family in a Porsche, on here last week? Striking similarities.

Anyway, you're fault. Nobody else.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Course there wouldn't be....because the person over 18 is an adult and it is legal.

You don't see an issue with selling drink or cigs to somebody who isn't an adult, what the heck is wrong with you?

This is exactly why he has no job now.

The law
    is truly ridicules.

Interesting theory. Cigarettes are bad for you, eh? You'd think someone would have brought it up before now.

Best of luck stalking the inspector, that's probably going to work out really well for you.

The law
    is truly ridicules.

Pretty much like your spelling so.

By the way I sold the fags to the minor in hectic environment.
    It is not pretty straight forward, isn't it?

So because nobody took your side on getting fired for breaking the law you're going to throw toys out of the pram and call the smokers in this thread names?
    :rolleyes:

Smoking causes smoking related health issues, no smoker is under no illusions about this. If they are then they've been living under a rock since the 1950's.

But they are none the less adults and right now smoking is legal for somebody over 18 years of age. This may change over the next few decades of course but ironically upto a few days ago you had no problem making a wage off of setting a product you are being critical of.

The law
    is truly ridicules.

I would go so far as to call it preposteroise.

So cigarettes are terrible but the law preventing the sale of cigarettes to minors is "ridicules"?

First of all dear english
    is my second langininiac so
    don't expect me to fully write
    in proper grammar :D

How long had you been working at that shop?

• Advertisement

By the way I sold the fags to the minor in hectic environment.
    It is not pretty straight forward, isn't it?

"hectic environment "= a shop. Did you not know you would be working in a shop?

What age are you?

Was this your first job?

Advertisement