Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro Available to Order Wed 11th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

had the pleasure of seeing Horace speak a couple of times. the man is amazingly good at calling trends before we sees them.

*Edit* "before we see them", not before he sees them" he obviously sees them :pac:

Couldn't get past 3 minutes of this nobhead let alone his squeaky voice. If he was a bar of chocolate he'd eat himself. Smug, self righteous, and so far up his own hole a Mossad snatch squad couldn't even retrieve him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Any point in getting a wifi + cellular model if you already have unlimited data with your current provider and can tether if needed?

I'm just thinking, when away, can add a local sim if required. Any point though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Any point in getting a wifi + cellular model if you already have unlimited data with your current provider and can tether if needed?

I'm just thinking, when away, can add a local sim if required. Any point though?

I have a wifi + cellular iPad Air 2 for work. I rarely use the 3G data on it.

With the proliferation of all unlimited data packages I can see them stop making the cellular version in the near future. This assumes that all mobile providers allow tethring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

shuffles03 wrote: »

Nobody really knows what your particular usage is going to be but you.

FWIW I opted for the wifi + cellular in the end. There's only something like 12% in the price difference so I concluded it's better to be looking at it than looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Agree entirely with wayne040576 (and picked up the same model). Looking forward to the Pencil arriving since a lot of my work is based on editing & annotating docs and basic graphic design (really useful for quick feedback).

Outside of work, installed the Chunky comic book reader and cbzs look just stunning. Some scaled up apps look poor though, but early days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Hi folks got my Logitech i pad pro keyboard case today I pad will be another week or so . Anyway I have question about those who also got the I pad pro box Logitech keyboard , on back of box it says you should have documentation , 2 years Manufacturers guarantee . All I got inside my box was a black insert that said create make more possible . Am I missing anything thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 petertgtt

Ordered my the grey 128gb wifi version last Wednesday, its only now in transit in Hong Kong right now, hopefully tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭JasonRyan

decies wrote: »
    Hi folks got my Logitech i pad pro keyboard case today I pad will be another week or so . Anyway I have question about those who also got the I pad pro box Logitech keyboard , on back of box it says you should have documentation , 2 years Manufacturers guarantee . All I got inside my box was a black insert that said create make more possible . Am I missing anything thanks .

Open out that black insert. On the inside of it is all the warranty info. I was wondering the same also.... :-)

First impressions of the Smart Keyboard:

Externally it looks and feels like the current smartcovers with a slightly rubberised texture that holds up surprisingly well against greasy fingerprints. Inside is the same kind of suede/felt texture. The keyboard section is covered in a textured rubberised/plastic material which totally excapsulates the keyboard so it should be fairly safe from the occassional coffee slop.

The keys themselves have more feedback than you'd expect, there's only a couple of millimetres of movement but feels like more. The downside to this is there's a definite click to the keys which could be an issue if you're working somewhere quiet. Still quieter than a normal laptop keyboard. I'm typing on it now and it's fairly comfortable to use although my accuracy has dropped as it does temporarily whenever I switch keyboards. The home keys are ridged which will help anyone who touch types.

The keyboard attaches to the long side of the iPad using the new 3 pin connector, powerful magnets pulling the entire thing into place with a very solid thwack. If you remember the VW Golf adverts from a while back, it's defintely a 'sounds like a golf' thwack.

Weight wise the keyboard is fairly light but add it the iPad Pro and it adds a surprising amount of heft to the otherwise fairly svelte tablet. I thought I'd keep the kepboard attached permanently in lieu of a full case but it's likely to be too heavy for normal portrait tablet use.

The other big surprise is the darn trackpad. There isn't one! Don't get me wrong, I knew the Smart Keyboard didn't have one but that message just hasn't reached my fingers yet.

For anyone that's thinking about buying the Smart keyboard, I'd recommend trying one out first. I expect some people will absolutely hate the keys. If you get the opportunity, cop a feel of the weight of the complete iPad/keyboard combo before you splash the cash.

If anyone's interested I'll post a quick review of the Apple Pencil as soon as it's finished its UPS sponsored sightseeing tour of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

The reviews I've seen so far seem to suggest it's just a bigger iPad. Never say never but I don't think I'll have the need for one any time soon. I like to consume movies on the go and read magazines so I don't think it's the right form factor for me personally. I am looking forward to getting my hands on a display model though just to judge for myself. If anything I'd say it could be a good second gen proposition. It's as heavy as an iPad 3 apparently and, while that won't feel too bad given the size, it probably needs to be lighter overall given that the keyboard & cover are probably an essential part of the proposition. To me it looks like it has a market for managers, artists and as an occasional device for those who want to be a bit more mobile but don't want to lug a laptop. I can't help but wonder though if you'd be better off overall with a MacBook Air?

As for that Horace guy, I watched his review last night. Smug and up his own arse. He really seems to just love the sound of his own voice. I'd hate to go for a drink with a group that he was part of. You just know he'd be the guy who knows it all and wasn't shy telling you all night. For all his guff, he comes across as a total Apple fanboy by the end of the review. Don't get me wrong. I'm an Apple fan myself and would buy an Apple product over something else most of the time but I like to think I'm somewhat objective and, for me, the Pro is just a bigger iPad for now. The apps need to catch up to realy make the machine shine. According to Horace though it's the best thing since sliced pan. Phil Shiller would be proud!

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    The reviews I've seen so far seem to suggest it's just a bigger iPad.

Many of the reviews for the original iPad suggested it was just a bigger iPhone and while that was accurate an entire industry popped up around the new tablet form factor.

I have no doubt the iPad Pro will enable applications that wouldn't be possible (or at least sensible) on the original form factor iPads. I certainly see new opportunities in the enterprise market.

It's not too heavy, I haven't weighed it or checked the specs but I'd put it under the weight of the original iPad. It's fairly comfortable even in extended use. The keyboard cover really does add some heft but I'd suggest you're only going to have it attached when you're using it laptop style so it's not really an issue.

I think there's an entire market out there that's hasn't been addressed by any device. A market for people that need 'a computer' but without the complexity of a full blown desktop OS. Reading emails, typing an occasional document, using a spreadsheet (your usual productivity suite activities) and maybe occasional use of some company specific systems. This is the market I think the iPad Pro could address. Before anyone starts shouting about cheap PCs/laptops being able to do the same job for half the price, keep in mind an iOS device is likely to have a much lower TCO once deployment/training/support/maintenance costs are taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

That's what I'm saying though. It's a bigger iPad but the apps really need to cater for that to give it purpose. Right now all we have is scaled up iPad apps which is OK but we won't see the Pro shine until it gets it's own class of apps, or apps that are specially extended to take advantage of the Pro's features. The same thing is true of the Apple TV right now. It's a nice little box that isn't quite earth shattering on it's own but there is massive potential there which very few apps are even beginning to unlock right now. I think the Pro will take 6 months or more to bed in and for app developers to target software for the platform specifically. I think it has huge potential for many non technical workers. It's probably the way to go for that group rather than the complexity of a laptop. A laptop & desktop OS combo will alsways be a requirement for the more technically focused workers though.

squonk wrote: »
    It's a bigger iPad but the apps really need to cater for that to give it purpose. Right now all we have is scaled up iPad apps which is OK but we won't see the Pro shine until it gets it's own class of apps, or apps that are specially extended to take advantage of the Pro's features.

I wouldn't disagree with you entirely, it's the same when any new device is launched. That said, you can already get Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Outlook/Pages/Numbers/Mail/Skype several browsers and a rake of alternative mail clients. That's a fair sized chunk of your average enterprise requirements already covered. Add to that the fact that many(most) corporates already have MDM in place for iOS devices and that's most, if not all of the back end requirements already covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think a huge problem is here Apple and how it announces these things.

At WWDC this year, Apple stressed hugely that Size classes (things that allow your apps to scale from 3.5" iPhones to 9.7" iPads) are seriously important and if you're not using them you really really should be.

The problem here is this is Apple giving us a huge hint that something is about to change (they've done just with since iOS 6 with Auto Layout which Size Classes are an extension of), but for the big companies like Google, or Facebook or Dropbox; they don't see the benefit of wasting people hours on these improvements until there's an actual device out in the wild.

Google docs is a prime example of this, it's terrible on the iPad Pro, even worse when you've a Smart Keyboard attached. If Google - arguably one of the biggest companies in the world - can't realise on day one of iPad Pro, then what chance does the small folks have? In fact a number of them do listen to Apple and do implement the features so whilst they may not be 100% ready to go when a new device lands, they're closer than the bigger fish in the pond.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Big companies (with competing platforms) can afford to dawdle, I guess. And the iPad tends to be an afterthought at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Huge €900 + price put me right off.
    Lovely looking device and that but for that kind of cash I'd get a surface pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

tallus wrote: »
    Huge €900 + price put me right off.
    Lovely looking device and that but for that kind of cash I'd get a surface pro.

Well, sure, but on the downside, you'd then _have_ a surface Pro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

mackerski wrote: »

i'm as much an apple fan boy as anyone.

My MBA is due to be changed in the next month or so and I am seriously considering the Surface Pro 4. I had a Pro 3 for a couple of weeks last year and while impress I wasn't blown away .. but looking at the new model I might just give it another shot.

At the moment the iPad Pro does not interest me what so ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just don't see the appeal of the Surface. It might tick a lot of boxes but it involves too many awkward compromises. I'd rather carry just a notebook or a tablet than some hybrid with a bunch of add-ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I just don't see the appeal of the Surface. It might tick a lot of boxes but it involves too many awkward compromises. I'd rather carry just a notebook or a tablet than some hybrid with a bunch of add-ons.

Yeah I agree.. The Surface Book though is moving toward something I'd like. Still not there yet for me personally though. All great products anyway. What a time to be alive! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

when I had the Pro 3 .. the keyboard cover and unit was as portable as any laptop and to be fair it worked like one .. my issue was with Win 8.1 and the fact that it just didn't slot in to my ecosystem.

The add ons are only really desk based add-ons. Dual or Triple screening from the Surface is possible from the Dock and standard bluetooth keyboards and mice .. this stuff doesn't travel with you.. just the device and cover.

I will give the Pro 4 a good test run and see what it's like. It is a more complete device than the iPad Pro - reflected in the price but I just can't see a reason for the iPad Pro. My iPad Air is practically gathering dust since I got the iPhone 6 and it is too large to complement the MacBook Air / 13" Pro etc.

I won't know for sure until I get my hand on one but i'm not in a rush

I kinda agree about the Air being too large to complement a Macbook, which is why I'm considering a Mini for my next iPad. But I really think the Surface is a compromised product that's primarily aimed at indecisive users who can't figure out which combination of notebook and tablet suits them best. A dilemma which I must admit I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic to as Apple's line-up grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I got a quick play with an iPad pro in the Apple Store in Belfast today. First thoughts: wow, this is a great device for writing music (as I have to do), or any kind of sketching. Seeing a huge screen is fantastic even for browsing, but it's definitely not the kind of device you'd automatically throw in a bag if you're going out.

The Apple keyboard is ok but the keys feel quite far apart. Probably better keyboards out there.

Still not buying one though. My Air 2 is just what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 petertgtt

Finally got my iPad pro 128gb today. I am delighted with it. I was worried it would be too big but not at all, it's very manageable and light.

Coming from using an iPad 2 for years this was a huge upgrade. I am most impressed with the smoothness/speed, sound and of course the big screen. I'd recommend to anybody.

mackerski wrote: »

I currently have a Note Pro 12.2. It cost me 320 euro on adverts.ie. almost a third of the price of the new ipad. Plus it comes with an S Pen at no extra charge.
    I'd prefer a surface to an ipad, at least it's not locked up. I'm not a fan of the walled garden apple approach. It's too locked up. Great screens on all of the ipad models though, and that's the one thing and only thing to me that sets them apart.

I currently have a Note Pro 12.2. It cost me 320 euro on adverts.ie. almost a third of the price of the new ipad. Plus it comes with an S Pen at no extra charge.

Note Pro didn't shift at all, PC World were heavily discounting for a few months to get rid of their stocks. The S Pen doesn't come close to the Apple Pencil.

Graham wrote: »
    The S Pen doesn't come close to the Apple Pencil.
    havent tried the Apple Pencil, but for €109 euro, I'd be expecting a he'll of a lot. Plus it's bulky, the S Pen sits neatly in a silo, and doesn't need to be charged. Easy option for me tbh.

havent tried the Apple Pencil, but for €109 euro, I'd be expecting a he'll of a lot. Plus it's bulky, the S Pen sits neatly in a silo, and doesn't need to be charged. Easy option for me tbh.

Each to their own. I was tempted with the Note Pro 12.2 myself last year, at the end of the day the price (then) for an Android device put me off. I guess the current prices reflect the fact it's now two year old technology.
    UPDATE: almost €800 from Amazon :eek:

You should start a thread in the Android forum, it's not really relevant here.

At the end of the day I'm fairly delighted with the iPad Pro and for anyone that uses the Apple Pencil as a primary input device it will be money well spent.

Graham wrote: »

You should start a thread in the Android forum, it's not really relevant here.

surely comparing different makes and architectures has relevance ? How else can anyone get a benchmark / comparison?. Comparing one apple device to another doesn't really make that much sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Any Dublin stores have the Pencil and Smart Keyboard in stock?

Advertisement