Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys Watch or Walkie Talkies

• 09-11-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭

Hello just wondering if someone could help. I have the ones in argos but none have blown me away. Can anyone recommend a watch for a 10yr old and 7. Preferably the same to save arguments.

I didn't think it would be so hard to find a funky one but nope.. Was hoping for analogue and digital with a light and stopwatch r something..

After that then walking talkies has anyone got any good ones.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Are you looking for character type watches (i.e. Disney, Lego, film merchandise tie in) or normal watches?

I wouldn't be able to recommend any but I did come across a few recently and thought of a few places worth trying outside of Argos

Symths might be worth a try for other character type watches.

Claire's accessories on their UK site show lots of watches, some are named "boyfriend watches" I have no clue what that means (I suppose watches for boys??) but on the UK website there seems to be a wide variety of watches http://www.claires.co.uk/jewellery-watches/style/fcp-category/list?isInStock=true&isSearchFilterSuffix=true&results=78&resetFilters=true&visModel=CHANNEL&filters=Hierarchy_TOP_NAVIGATION_FILTER:/TOP_NAVIGATION/wc_style_jewellery/wc_style_jewellery-watches

Maybe Monsoon/Accessorise might have something similar?

Boots also have a few watches they're kind of character type watches maybe a bit girlie/cute the Eternally U Anisnap Lion/Ladybird/Penguin watch but they also have the Suck UK Paper Watch, (durable and non tear) seems that the idea is that you decorate it yourself with stickers, crayons or whatever - might be an idea for girls more so than boys but thought I'd include if anyone else was looking

TK Max might be worth a try - again the UK site seems to have a lot, wouldn't know what they would have in store though http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/search?q=watches

Also Debenhams do have a variety of watches between character and more grown up type watches http://www.debenhams.ie/kids/watches

Tesco I know do watches, they do for women anyway I have seen them many times in store usually near the toiletries section in my local Tesco anyway and sometimes in the clothing. I'm not sure if they do much for children and men except what I found online under the F&F Clothing section under men's (the kid's is a girls one) http://www.clothingattesco.com/men/mens-accessories/icat/mens-accessories#esp_cf=pdxtproducttype&esp_filter_pdxtproducttype=Watches

I have seen in passing in some jewellery shops ordinary watches that aren't that expensive (less than €20/€30), but you'd probably need to shop around

Other than that maybe some other department stores might have them either in the kids section or worth trying the men's section if you're looking for a more grown up watch.

I don't know if any of that is any help, didn't want to see the question go unanswered, I wouldn't know anything about walkie talkies, other than look in Smyths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello orthsquel thank you so much there is a pile of information there.. I was hoping to get them maybe some kinda funky sports watch really not character related unless there was a snazzy minecraft one, but they all look at bit boring..

I must say I never thought of Claires now or shops like that, perhaps ill have to take a wonder around. Thank you so much again, haha I am like you too I hate seeing no replies on questions....

Re the walkie talkies yeah I saw the two in Smyths but they have very bad reviews on them so the search continues.. Thank you oh meant to say for boys too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I presume a Casio G-Shock would be too much? They are great, robust and will last the hardship of a 7 & 10 y/o for years... However they may not be cheap...

They come with digital/analogue/both depending on the model. There are litterally hundreds of choices, but you might find something within budget, depending on what that is.

http://www.amazon.com/g-shock-for-kids/cp/sy6oc6rzt36x4k5

https://www.google.ae/search?q=g+shock+childrens+watch&num=100&safe=off&espv=2&rlz=1C1CHWA_enAE622AE622&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CC0QsARqFQoTCJfg_ffklMkCFQkuGgod4VkA_A&biw=1270&bih=846

On the otherhand you might be looking for something more cheap and chearful... What about swatch?

I did come across the G Shock while searching but as such I know nought about them. So they are good then Bluefoam, thank ye.. Yes they look quite nifty.. I was hoping to spend a little less on them maybe 30 max as I am not sure will they even use them. I just wanted to get them something different to toys as they are getting a little older and I know they will get loads...

Swatch yes but I haven't come across anything nifty really.. I shall start looking again thanks :)

Milly33 wrote: »
    I did come across the G Shock while searching but as such I know nought about them. So they are good then Bluefoam, thank ye.. Yes they look quite nifty.. I was hoping to spend a little less on them maybe 30 max as I am not sure will they even use them. I just wanted to get them something different to toys as they are getting a little older and I know they will get loads...

Swatch yes but I haven't come across anything nifty really.. I shall start looking again thanks :)

Yeh, the G-Shock are pricey. But Probably the best watch for rough and tumble... They have a very good reputation and will survive all sorts of kids messing and playing any sport.

• Advertisement

Ended up going with an UMbro sports one in Argos.. Around 26 each me thinks, they do look funky now I hope they like them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

swatch make cool watches or plain old casio ones.

Yeah I saw a few of the old school casio's on adverts but something was telling me not to buy.. I love the Baby G but their website is terrible, I had a look and was going to order but trying to find kids watches was mad it was hard to tell were they mens or kids.

This is the one I picked up in the end, has light, alarm a few gadgets
    3%7Ccat_15701267%7CChildren%27s+watches%7C14417280.htm
    I hope they like now as tis there first grown up kinda pressie from me..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yeah I saw a few of the old school casio's on adverts but something was telling me not to buy.. I love the Baby G but their website is terrible, I had a look and was going to order but trying to find kids watches was mad it was hard to tell were they mens or kids.

This is the one I picked up in the end, has light, alarm a few gadgets

I hope they like now as tis there first grown up kinda pressie from me..

Can't see the pic, but glad you got sorted. I'm sure they'll love the present. I was fascinated by watches as a kid, I'm sure they will be too. Also a very good education for them :)

silly link sorry 299-2834126MMA76UC1004913M.jpg

• Advertisement

ah there we go.. Thanks to all Ho! Ho! Ho! Have yerselfs the best Christmas

Advertisement