Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breech presentation

Options
  • 09-11-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

I'm currently 34 weeks and have been breech since 24 weeks. I know there's still time for baby to turn but I'd be on for trying either moxibustion or the webster method to try and give a helping hand! I'm not sure if people can give recommdations but would like to hear from others who had a successful experience and what they did or who they went to. Doing all the spinning baby exercises at the moment! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My first was breech (transverse) and stayed that way. Second was breech and moved at 36 weeks. I'd stay away from any moxibustion or spinning babies. My consultant told me after my section my first would never have moved. There's no research at all that any quackery would get a baby to move-I fell for some of the exercises and I'd have been better off putting my feet up and reading up on c sections. Baby might move, or might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

My baby only turned breech at 38 weeks. She had been head down all along. I tried everything even the ECV to try and get her turned but she was having none of it. My point is babies do what they want so maybe just prepare yourself for the fact you may need a section. I worked myself into a state because I had been adamant all along I wasn't having one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think the spinning baby exercises can do much when you think about the anatomy of it. I was breech presentation until 36 or 37 weeks I think, when she flipped. I didn't do anything special. I know it's nice to think you are in control of things, but with pregnancy and babies, often you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was transverse breech with my first until 34 weeks and this time she inly went head down at 36 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Thanks guys. It's actually easier to leave it to the hands of fate and go with the flow. suppose there is no way of knowing if any of those things turn the baby or was baby going to turn anyway! Still a few weeks to go so I'll hope for the best and keep a section in the back of my head just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Mine was breech between 20 and 30 weeks, I did the spinning babies exercises. She turned. Maybe she would have turned anyway but it does no harm. Just lie on the floor with a cushion under your legs and your legs up on the couch. I did that every night. Might as well get gravity to encourage them to move

Had 36 week scan yesterday and baby is head down. I'd pretty much given up on the exercises so was nicely surprised!

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Had 36 week scan yesterday and baby is head down. I'd pretty much given up on the exercises so was nicely surprised!

Great news! Fingers crossed they stay put! Lots of bouncing on birth ball now to get their head to engage and stay there.

Just be aware if they were breech once, they can turn breech again before labour. So if your waters break at home don't dilly dally, make your way to the hospital. You don't want contractions to be pushing down for an extended period of time on a breech baby, they could end up with a hip brace when born (happened to my cousin)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Lucuma wrote: »
    Great news! Fingers crossed they stay put! Lots of bouncing on birth ball now to get their head to engage and stay there.

Just be aware if they were breech once, they can turn breech again before labour. So if your waters break at home don't dilly dally, make your way to the hospital. You don't want contractions to be pushing down for an extended period of time on a breech baby, they could end up with a hip brace when born (happened to my cousin)
    I'd say most hospitals would do an emergency section rather than allow labour to continue with a breech presentation.
    Hip dysplasia can happen in any presentation-friend of mine had a completely straightforward delivery and her baby was in a brace for months.

I'll get the ball out again so just in case! fingers crossed will stay upside down till d day!

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    I'd say most hospitals would do an emergency section rather than allow labour to continue with a breech presentation.
    Hip dysplasia can happen in any presentation-friend of mine had a completely straightforward delivery and her baby was in a brace for months.

No they did do a section.
    The part I was referring to (which is under mother's control) was how long you stay labouring at home for after waters break before going to hospital.

My cousin stayed at home for nearly 10 hours after her waters broke, coz she wanted to labour naturally at home. But turns out (unbeknownst to her) that her baby had unexpectedly turned breech since her last checkup and so she was labouring away with contractions pushing that baby down in breech position for hours before she got to hospital and they discovered it.

I mean the guidance from ante-natal class is once your waters break, you make your way to hospital (my cousin didn't follow this) so I'm sure the OP would follow that anyway.

In my cousin's case they told her if the baby was breech at any stage in the 3rd trimester it increases the chances they can turn breech again before the labour.

Advertisement