Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General secretary of the IFA on a possible €400,000 salary-Read mod note in post 2734

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Some dung on this thread.

Thats ten minuits of my life wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mf240 wrote: »

Wait till you read the other 400 posts;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Have some pity for the people who have to read them all! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

What dung are you talking about Mister ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It will be the ultimate irony if O'Leary slips in. He was run for vice president late in the time by HQ to try and stop Kavanagh. That's a big IOU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Water John wrote: »
    It will be the ultimate irony if O'Leary slips in. He was run for vice president late in the time by HQ to try and stop Kavanagh. That's a big IOU.

Wouldn't look great if there was no contest for deputy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

farmertipp wrote: »
    Just a point . Having 4 CEO's plus carberry management to process less than 100 million gallons is probably more expensive on a cent per litre basis than 1 CEO over 250 million gallons..

Not if they drive the milk lorry it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kovu wrote: »
    Have some pity for the people who have to read them all! :(
    Keep drinking the coffee and you'll be fine ;)

Base price wrote: »
    Keep drinking the coffee and you'll be fine ;)

Espresso pot is on the cooker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

would ya use a sprong, a fork , a pike or a grape to move that dung

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think this thread is played out unless there's another twist tomorrow, looks like they're all friends again awww happy families

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

frazzledhome.. chip o ur shoulder, monies come from everyone to re in farming towards IFA whether we want it or not.. that fair??
    let the big wigs pay for it.. the big farmers! who think are better than the rest of us...

I also heard today--to not pay these charges/rates u have to sign a OPT out form.. bit rich.... normally is a OPT in form

rangler1 wrote: »
    I think this thread is played out unless there's another twist tomorrow, looks like they're all friends again awww happy families
    They might be happy families but the outlaws ain't so happy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I'd say he'd have to send for the contractor to shift it

The larger processor has been the ICOS push for 40 years. Evidence based, the opposite gives a better result. Some people even advocating only two processors in the country. Big is better mantra, no evidence.
    Glanbia and Dairygold have tried to cannibalise Arrabawn. It would have meant not one litre of milk processed in Tipperary. All to satisfy two plants in Bellview and Mallow. Except quiet Conor bit back.They then ran to ICOS to introduce the 90 day rule. Time to bully people. Did anyone ask the farmer?
    Does anyone changing jobs, banks, electricity give three months notice?
    Very poor judgement by managements. Weak Boards are culpable. That is why all these issues are linked. Management is not constantly challenged by their boards and Chairman. That's their job.

• Advertisement

They might be happy families but the outlaws ain't so happy :mad:
    goodnight john boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

wiggy123 wrote: »
    frazzledhome.. chip o ur shoulder, monies come from everyone to re in farming towards IFA whether we want it or not.. that fair??
    let the big wigs pay for it.. the big farmers! who think are better than the rest of us...

I also heard today--to not pay these charges/rates u have to sign a OPT out form.. bit rich.... normally is a OPT in form

All farmers do not contribute? If so how?

Btw, love this thread for the quality of name calling :)

4f6b7a0980070152afa1493140feef6a07f42c4fef9a08eab56ec1d659e60ddc.jpg

goodnight john boy

Night mary lou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Your post would be much more effective if you used Capital letters for the beginning of sentences and paragraphs.

teacher?

• Advertisement

wiggy123 wrote: »

Wiggy123 this is not aimed at you however your post just activated my rant.
    As most of ye know I am well known as having issues with the EIF levy but to be honest until the Smith debacle hit the headlines (on this site) I never realised how many farmers didn't have a clue about mart, milk and factory deductions from their cheques. Have none of you queried what these deductions are?
    I have to agree with Rangler's historical comments regarding spoon feeding some farmers.
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Wiggy123 this is not aimed at you however your post just activated my rant.
    As most of ye know I am well known as having issues with the EIF levy but to be honest until the Smith debacle hit the headlines (on this site) I never realised how many farmers didn't have a clue about mart, milk and factory deductions from their cheques. Have none of you queried what these deductions are?
    I have to agree with Rangler's historical comments regarding spoon feeding some farmers.
    Rant over.

+1000 Base!

Sadly your right, re:spoonfeeding farmers. Most are easily ridden bareback and they are. They are so many examples. But they are not an easy group to defend either. The great trick usually used on them is to set off a hare, tangent to the real issue and let it run. They take the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Why didn't the IFA ballot it's members like other unions do when it came pay, in this case the CAP negotiations?
    The IFA had no mandate for what they argued for in the CAP, which was to protect those on high payments.

There is a lot the IFA could do to engage more with members, they are like politicians, I only see them when there is an election.

Sadly your right, re:spoonfeeding farmers. Most are easily ridden bareback and they are. They are so many examples. But they are not an easy group to defend either. The great trick usually used on them is to set off a hare, tangent to the real issue and let it run. They take the bait.
    I am a part time farmer, my partner is a full time farmer and between both our setups we operate a business. It is a small simple business based on profit and loss. We control the capital and operating expenses to the best of our ability and run the risk of the ever fluctuating sales market.
    I would not allow the bank, vet, local co-op, feed merchant or anyone else to bill a cent more from us without question.
    It just maddens me as to ineptness of some people when it comes to managing their business.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Why didn't the IFA ballot it's members like other unions do when it came pay, in this case the CAP negotiations?
    The IFA had no mandate for what they argued for in the CAP, which was to protect those on high payments.

There is a lot the IFA could do to engage more with members, they are like politicians, I only see them when there is an election.
    IFA is not a union but it is a representative organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In any organisation where there is big money swilling around there are those willing pocket it. Look at Rehab it has a massive chunk of money coming in since the National Lottery was formed. You had a board and executive that had a you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. You have directors getting lucrative consultancy work.

After the crash organisations got a warning that excessive pay rates would not be tolerated. I imagine that PS was on a 3 or 5 year contract so while his pay package may have been negotiated originally in 2009 it would have come up for renewal at least once since so the remuneration committee had a chance to rectify the issue. I would like to see the reports of this committee on the original contract and any renewals that happened. The other issue is possible conflict of interest being director of 8 companies.

However you now have to also look at the compensation packages for the elected national officers to see if this is out of line with what would be acceptable levels of compensation. Level paid to those that travel to meetings do not seem out of the normal range. 70c/mile and an allowance of 30 euro for out of pocket expenses are not excessive and 100 euro for those that have to attend for a full day to replace labour is well justified.

The big issue is where to now for the IFA. I think it will lose a lot of members and a lot of members and many will now stop the EIF levy. They could find income reduced by 3-4 million in membership and levy income very fast. It will also hit Macra and ICMSA income. When the genie leaves the bottle it is hard to put him back in.

It matters little what way county or regional sections of the IFA vote or what action or inaction they take. It is the reaction of the general membership over levy's and membership that may well hit it hard. The INHFA may be the real winner along the west coast. Up until now the Government only really had an interest in dealing with the IFA. It ignored the other Farm organisations in general. However this could all change.

Next year it is a 100 years since Yeats wrote the lines
    All changed, change utterly
    A terrible beauty is born.

Often it takes the death of one plant for a new one to grow.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

They'd be paid regardless, but that's only from co chairman up ordinary sheep/ cattle/ dairy/ reps would only get their own pay plus travelling.
    when I was a county rep I got 70c/ml for a hundred mile plus 30 for the day.
    Leave home at 10, back home at six
    Co chairman I'd get about €100 more for that and be home at eight
    Very lucky to be only fifty mins from Dublin
    I was supposed to declare that last €100 for tax ;)

as a county rep for macra I get 30c per mile. €11 for diner and no €100 and there was manys the night I was back after 3 in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

as a county rep for macra I get 30c per mile. €11 for diner and no €100 and there was manys the night I was back after 3 in the morning

Many of us were in Macra.......and I know what getting back after 3 in the morning meant.....😉

Macra, IFJ, IFA telecom FBD

FBD are only renting some of it, their base is the other side of the road
    IFAC and Charolais Soc too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Anyone know What the CEO Of Macra is Earning? Or will it Take an Honest Whistle Blower to Reveal that too!

That will come out in the wash too I fancy

alps wrote: »
    Many of us were in Macra.......and I know what getting back after 3 in the morning meant.....😉

Not on a Wednesday night though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Not on a Wednesday night though!

Twas available on a Wednesday night too.......

I'm a bit concerned about all the posts saying "I'm going to cancel Levies/membership" instead of saying "I'm going to cancel Levies/membership unless X, Y or Z happens"

Everybody is happy to reap the benifits of a representive body but not everybody willing to pay for one

alps wrote: »
    Twas available on a Wednesday night too.......
    God bless your stanima lad!:D

God bless your stanima lad!:D

Stanima? Does stanflt know about this :D

I thought Smith put IFAC out of farm centre

Unless they left in the last couple of months....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

A lot has been said here over the last couple of days regarding the work IFA do for farmers and how it is only in the last 50 years since the founding of this wonderful organisation that farmers have been doing so well.

When you look at it in the cold light of day. What was a typical Irish family farm 50 years ago? Am I right in saying it was able to support the family and usually at least one employee.
    What is the typical family farm today? am I right in saying it is would typically be one spouse having to find an of farm income to try and subsidise the farm. Either that or a middle age batchelor hanging on there for his dear life.

Now don't bit my head off cos Im not trying to put all the blame on IFA. I know there are other factors at play. But you'd have to say this whole IFA project over the past 50 years has hardly been a roaring success.

Unless of course you manage to get in to the inner sanctum of the farm centre. Seems to me being involved in agri politics is a bit like being on American idol. A good performance could get you to Vegas! But at the end of the day its all just a show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

The larger processor has been the ICOS push for 40 years. Evidence based, the opposite gives a better result. Some people even advocating only two processors in the country. Big is better mantra, no evidence.
    Glanbia and Dairygold have tried to cannibalise Arrabawn. It would have meant not one litre of milk processed in Tipperary. All to satisfy two plants in Bellview and Mallow. Except quiet Conor bit back.They then ran to ICOS to introduce the 90 day rule. Time to bully people. Did anyone ask the farmer?
    Does anyone changing jobs, banks, electricity give three months notice?
    Very poor judgement by managements. Weak Boards are culpable. That is why all these issues are linked. Management is not constantly challenged by their boards and Chairman. That's their job.

And IFA just try to play their part in all this, as dual players in the CoOps and the farm center, no to mention their cosy relationship with the beef barons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

keep going wrote: »
    teacher?

Just concerned citizen against lazy posters son ....

Bogman Bass, some will have a knee jerk reaction and withdraw funding from IFA. But I agree with you, radical review, open the books. If this does not happen by the 1st Jan then withdraw. That would achieve maximum positive effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    What is the typical family farm today? am I right in saying it is would typically be one spouse having to find an of farm income to try and subsidise the farm. Either that or a middle age batchelor hanging on there for his dear life

If that's the case many farmers should sell up and get out. Nobody owes you a living. If your business isn't providing a reasonable income sell the assets and move on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Suckler wrote: »
    If that's the case many farmers should sell up and get out. Nobody owes you a living. If your business isn't providing a reasonable income sell the assets and move on.

I'm sure you're not naive enough to believe it's not the case.

How many farmers do you know relying on farming for a comfortable way of living for their family.It's not many atall. I'm sure you'll find that many farmers you know who are doing well aren't having to provide a family with food, education etc.

• Advertisement

Bogman Bass, some will have a knee jerk reaction and withdraw funding from IFA. But I agree with you, radical review, open the books. If this does not happen by the 1st Jan then withdraw. That would achieve maximum positive effect
    Why wait until the 1st of January, a week of hard talking should sort all this out . Full publication on all payments over 50k , its just the same as the sfp , everyone can see what everyone else gets. Also an answer to who instigated the reduction in Mr Smiths salary between 2013/14. This beating around the bush is doing no good to the ifa long term. When is Eddie Downeys 2 year period up?

pajero12 wrote: »
    I'm sure you're not naive enough to believe it's not the case.

How many farmers do you know relying on farming for a comfortable way of living for their family.It's not many atall. I'm sure you'll find that many farmers you know who are doing well aren't having to provide a family with food, education etc.

I'm sure it is the case for some, not all.I know plenty that make a good living from farming, I know others that farm all day and all night a don't have the right economies of scale to make it viable. Why should they be propped up?

I know one tarmac company that proactively changed it's operation to ensure it could compete with recent recession market prices & demand, another local family run outfit didn't; stuck to what they've done for years and folded recently with a lot of personal debt due to them funding a dying horse. Why should farming be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Why wait until the 1st of January, a week of hard talking should sort all this out . Full publication on all payments over 50k , its just the same as the sfp , everyone can see what everyone else gets. Also an answer to who instigated the reduction in Mr Smiths salary between 2013/14. This beating around the bush is doing no good to the ifa long term. When is Eddie Downeys 2 year period up?

What was is salary so far for this year I wonder and what was it going to be? Did he get a pay off? A lot of questions remain unanswered. Think the Ifa think the problem will go away if they ignore it.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What was is salary so far for this year I wonder and what was it going to be? Did he get a pay off? A lot of questions remain unanswered. Think the Ifa think the problem will go away if they ignore it.
    They need to come clean on the whole thing, letting it drag out will do no one any favours. People will not forget about it until a full and clear statement comes out, too many unanswered questions

Full publication on all payments over 50k , its just the same as the sfp , everyone can see what everyone else gets.

I disagree, SFP is a tax payer funded portion of a farmers earnings. It's not their full income.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement