Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General secretary of the IFA on a possible €400,000 salary-Read mod note in post 2734

1555657585961»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

cute geoge wrote: »
    Are you saying everything is still stage managed?
    Who is pulling the string above there now and who will they put in to the hot seat.
    I am from kerry and can honestly say f.mccarthy would never heard of him having too much input at county level but can see him as a steady pair of hands.
    Burns is surely tainted by beef debacle last year that leaves just healy

To be fair I don't know McCarthy or any of the other candidates either. But I'm not surprised your view of him is that you 'can see him as a steady pair of hands". I would find it hard to believe that anyone who gets the nomination of 5 county chairmen, of a very conservative organisation, is going to do anything too radical to bring about any significant change,

Just look at these new rules for example. Seems pretty clear to me that the organisation and its self preservation, has become more important than the members it claims to represent.

Other rules and recommendations

The code of conduct says that candidates and their supporters shall not do or say anything that would cause “dissension or undermine the effectiveness of the Association”. All press statements and other communications by candidates to the media must be cleared in advance with the national press office.

Divisive campaigning or public statements such as those on “big/small”, “drystock/milk farmers”, and “east/west” should be avoided, as well as derogatory statements or references to the IFA, its policies, and other candidates.

All media advertising is prohibited throughout the campaign and the IFA will arrange for a mail-out of candidates’ literature to all its members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Water John wrote: »
    FBD, lets remember there are 3 entities using that name.
    FBD Insurance will survive but won't be owned by farmers.

The 3 FBD's should be distinctly named to avoid confusion.

Again prospective presidents would do well to declare that they want a separation of IFA from these offspring.

A move out of the Farm Centre would also give visual separation.
    A simple transparent membership fee for IFA, no strings or add ons.

I can tell you now how far your proposals will go.....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    To be fair I don't know McCarthy or any of the other candidates either. But I'm not surprised your view of him is that you 'can see him as a steady pair of hands". I would find it hard to believe that anyone who gets the nomination of 5 county chairmen, of a very conservative organisation, is going to do anything too radical to bring about any significant change,

Just look at these new rules for example. Seems pretty clear to me that the organisation and its self preservation, has become more important than the members it claims to represent.

Other rules and recommendations

The code of conduct says that candidates and their supporters shall not do or say anything that would cause “dissension or undermine the effectiveness of the Association”. All press statements and other communications by candidates to the media must be cleared in advance with the national press office.

Divisive campaigning or public statements such as those on “big/small”, “drystock/milk farmers”, and “east/west” should be avoided, as well as derogatory statements or references to the IFA, its policies, and other candidates.

All media advertising is prohibited throughout the campaign and the IFA will arrange for a mail-out of candidates’ literature to all its members.

I just read those rules again. Notice how even the word "Association" Is spelt using a capital A. Its like its some kind of a God complex or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

rangler1 wrote: »
    Two young farmers, ie oleary and downey must've got a right kick in the arse when the two fathers came home to share the profits, and no quota now to protect young oleary.....love it

Rangler, that post really disappointed me. I really expected more of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    I just read those rules again. Notice how even the word "Association" Is spelt using a capital A. Its like its some kind of a God complex or something?

Standard practice when a firm or club etc is talking about itself.
    You will often see a Co-op refer to itself as the Society.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Conversation continues here under new rules.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement