Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Advice for Clueless Buyer

Options
  • 09-11-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Need 4 new tyres for a 2004 320D SE.

Tyres are 225/50/16 all round, not with the narrower front wheels that some of the 3 series have.

Looking for a middle-of-the-road tyre with regard to performance/pricing, in that, I'm looking to spend a bit more than a budget tyre but don't necessarily need Pirelli, Bridgestone etc.

I've been asking around but have been provided with conflicting info, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm all ears for any suggestion.

This is what I've looked at so far:

4 x Nankang NS20, tracked and balanced for €380

Also, one guy recommended that I bin the 225/50/16s and go with 205/50/16s, however I really don't want to do that. The manufacturer fitted 225/50/16s, there has always been 225/50/16s on the car.

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hankook:
    http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/hankook-ventus-prime2-k115-225-50-r16-96-w-xl#101345776

Uniroyal:
    http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/uniroyal-rainsport-3-225-50-r16-92-y#100938947

Both better brands than Nankang imo. Allow about €40 to €50 extra for fitting and balancing locally but price them locally too as there may not be any saving buying them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hankook:
    http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/hankook-ventus-prime2-k115-225-50-r16-96-w-xl#101345776

Uniroyal:
    http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/uniroyal-rainsport-3-225-50-r16-92-y#100938947

Both better brands than Nankang imo. Allow about €40 to €50 extra for fitting and balancing locally but price them locally too as there may not be any saving buying them online.

Thanks very much for that.

Does it matter that they're summer tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Mister-M5 wrote: »

Does it matter that they're summer tyres?

It does in a way, that they won' t behave too well on snow or slush.
    Winter tyres would be much better for that.

However considering weather in Ireland, buying separate sets of winter/summer tyres can be hardly justified unless you are living in very snowy area or just drive lots of miles in all conditions or plan to drive to the Continent during the winter.

Vast majority of tyres used in Ireland are summer tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I would consider swapping for 205/55/R16. They have exactly the same diameter and are such a common size you can always find a good range of tyres at a decent price. For example I bought 4 GoodYears this summer for less than the Nankangs you have been quoted, and was offered Pirelli, Dunlop and Bridgestone at that price too. Kumho, Firestone, Hankook etc were around €75 a tyre.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure some e46 316i had 205/55/16 fitted standard. Not sure about the 320d
    Above comment is correct about rolling radius. It's only something like 0.1% different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I have a full set of Hankook Ventus on my 525, find them very good in all weather and the wear is very good one them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just bought 2 for my avensis for 105 each online in 215/55/17 after being quoted 145 for firestones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Just on the op, the NS20 is a good tyre but on a car like yours, rear traction will be an issue in rain once the thread wears to half life or so.

Have them on the back of my car and although they were great to start with the rears are spinning for nothing now, that is anything near full throttle in low gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

YbFocus wrote: »
    Just on the op, the NS20 is a good tyre but on a car like yours, rear traction will be an issue in rain once the thread wears to half life or so.

Have them on the back of my car and although they were great to start with the rears are spinning for nothing now, that is anything near full throttle in low gears.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Vic_08 wrote: »
    :confused:

What are you confused about?

I just done a trackday with these on the rear and they won't let go unless you really convince them to.
    But in the wet, with anything somewhat powerful, you may get a bit of wheelspin.

Again, only after you have about half of their life remaining.

They are a good tyre and won't try to kill you, more than adequate grip.
    On a lesser powered car you may never see the problems i spoke of.

My car would spin any tyre except a drag radial in 1st, does it make them a bad tyre?

To the op, if you don't drive aggressively you'll be fine. If you do then be wary of a limit once they get worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

+1 on these. I was quite surprised with their overall ability and I reckon they are great value. One of only a couple of brands I would use outside of the 'premiums', although some of these premium brands have been quite poor recently.

I would always recommend having a look at www.tyrereviews.co.uk before buying a tyre as it can be a good source of information/reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Since the Advice here is good I would like to add my own clueless questions to the thread. I will be buying 2 new summer tyres for the back of my Renault Scenic where they have worn down. The three offered to me by the garage are below. Wondering is there any significant difference between them for a mostly City Driving, but occasional 180 down the Autobahn, type driver. Summers get very hot here in Germany too.

2x Continental Premium Contact 2 343,21
    2xSemperit Speed – Life 2 273,72
    2x Uniroyal Rainsport 3 273,00

what size are they

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Have a set of Hankook Ventus primes on the front of my car.

225/45R17

Grip has been excellent, both in wet and dry, not much road noise and wearing well

Cost €100 each fitted and balanced

They replaced some cheapo Chinese tat, which would leave you with a pants wettingly fun experience when pushed... He lied through his face.

Advertisement