Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir exchange/broadband box problems for the past month and a half.

Options
  • 09-11-2015 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there, 

For the past month and a half I have had consistent internet drops which lead me to calling my Internet Service Provider almost 10 times until I gave up and switched ISPs. The current ISP (Sky Broadband) has now told me they found out that the issue was the fact that the exchange box can no longer work consistently when it goes over a certain amount of usage from our area.

Frankly, I live around 10-12 kilometers from the exchange box and cannot use my internet at all like a regular person in the evenings, I've genuinely exhausted all efforts to see if it was an issue from our side and it turns out it was the exchange box not being able to keep up with the demand of the area. 

In comparison to other areas this is really horrible to think that for the rest of my time living in this area I won't be able to have at least a standard connection without it dropping every few hours then hardly usable for the evening/night times.

I would like to see if eir can help us in the area considering I'm one of many people who uses the internet on a very daily basis (if not all the time).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Garrity wrote: »
    Hi there, 

For the past month and a half I have had consistent internet drops which lead me to calling my Internet Service Provider almost 10 times until I gave up and switched ISPs. The current ISP (Sky Broadband) has now told me they found out that the issue was the fact that the exchange box can no longer work consistently when it goes over a certain amount of usage from our area.

Frankly, I live around 10-12 kilometers from the exchange box and cannot use my internet at all like a regular person in the evenings, I've genuinely exhausted all efforts to see if it was an issue from our side and it turns out it was the exchange box not being able to keep up with the demand of the area. 

In comparison to other areas this is really horrible to think that for the rest of my time living in this area I won't be able to have at least a standard connection without it dropping every few hours then hardly usable for the evening/night times.

I would like to see if eir can help us in the area considering I'm one of many people who uses the internet on a very daily basis (if not all the time).
    Hi Garrity

Sorry to hear of these issues. As you are not an eir customer I will be unable to directly assist with your internet issues and the best advice I can offer is to contact your internet service providers's technical support team.

I can however, check the status of the exchange your line is connected to and let you know what I can see thus clarifying a few things for you. Feel free to PM me your landline number and I'll check.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Garrity

Hi there Al,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been in contact with them and it was my ISP who indeed told me of the issue.

I just find it hard to comprehend that I will have to live with this issue for my entire remaining time of living in the area. The frustration of not being able to at least have a consistent broadband connection for more than ten minutes in the evenings and sometimes through the day is very frustrating to think of.

I'll send you on my landline number and hopefully there will be some resolution as like I said, the idea that an exchange box in this day in age not being able to handle the usage in our (not particularly) rural area is frustrating.

Hi there Al,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been in contact with them and it was my ISP who indeed told me of the issue.

I just find it hard to comprehend that I will have to live with this issue for my entire remaining time of living in the area. The frustration of not being able to at least have a consistent broadband connection for more than ten minutes in the evenings and sometimes through the day is very frustrating to think of.

I'll send you on my landline number and hopefully there will be some resolution as like I said, the idea that an exchange box in this day in age not being able to handle the usage in our (not particularly) rural area is frustrating.
    Hi Garrity

As I mentioned above I will be unable to assist you with your internet connection problems. Ultimately as a paying customer of another provider it is their responsibility to deliver you a steady connection. There are also a number of regulations (trading and data protection included) in place restricting eir from accessing or taking on a case for service with another provider.

I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the exchange. Your line qualifies for up to 12Mb and a steady connection should be delivered. The term 'up to' is used as speeds can't be guaranteed but a connection should be.

I'm sorry I can't help further Garrity

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Garrity

Hi there Al,

Fair enough and I understand your limited capacity to fix the issue, thanks for the reply.

Regards.

Hi there Al,

Fair enough and I understand your limited capacity to fix the issue, thanks for the reply.

Regards.
    Thanks for your understanding Garrity

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement