Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employer seeking repayment months after i left

Options
  • 09-11-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I received education support for 2 courses. The agreement was firstly that I repay 50% off fees for first course if I leave after one year. I stayed for a year after completing this course.

When I got the support for the second course, they policy had changed to 50% needs to be repaid within 1 year of its completing the course. I then left a few months later. Now some months later I get a letter in the door saying I owe 50% for first course and full amount for the second.

They never made any arrangement to recoup the amount owed when I left which they could have if they cared at all. This company has always been quite botchy. I had to get on to revenue just to get me P45 as person in HR acted or really didn't know what it was.

can they take any case against me?

does the rule under payment of wages act apply where they have 6 months to deduct amounts due to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I suspect it would cost them more to pursue it through the courts than they'd stand to win so I'd play hard ball with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Id love to tell the world about the botchyness of this company. Probably best I don't mention them here but, it would honestly be a matter of public interest for them to be exposed.

I could argue with them but I reckon they have probably forged my name to the agreement for the second course as I'm certain of the rules surrounding it and that i don't owe as much as they claim even though I don't have a copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

They are making the arrangement now. Repay them what you owe, don't ruin the system for ex colleagues that want to avail of the same in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Rackstar wrote: »
    They are making the arrangement now. Repay them what you owe, don't ruin the system for ex colleagues that want to avail of the same in future.

don't think it will affect any ex colleagues. They already tightend up on what and who they give any support to long before I left. Plus its still very much a who you know kind of thing now.

Last I heard a female employee got it for a fitness course while others were refused for IT courses previously approved.

Imagine a company where management is non existent, they have little to no procedures on anything and decisions are based on office politics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, bin it, unless it was an MBA in smurfit followed by an MBA in trinity they arent going to do anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement