Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck tomorrow Denis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck Denis looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good luck Denis, give it a good push!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Best of luck Denis! I'll be somewhere along the last 300/400M cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Good luck this evening denis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Tuesday

Dunboyne 5 Mile Race Report

This is the race that almost didn't happen before it started. Last Saturday I finished an 11 km aerobic run exactly one week after a small operation (Local anesthetic job). Immediately after the run one of the two entry points opened. Sore but got it looked after and then rested up hoping that it would close sufficiently well again. With a supportive dressing and 2 compression layers to hold everything in place I was cleared to run with 2 hours to spare. Only provisio was to go to the race and do a 3 km warm up with some strides after 2 km and if I felt anything less than racing fit I was to stop. Its been that kind of season but making best use of whatever windows emerge.

Arrived and parked up close to the track and collected my number for my first BHAA race ever. What an evening. Warm and a large enough crowd for the 8pm kick-off. Got a couple of laps done on the track, easing into it until I got comfortable and then did 4x 100m strides intervals. Worked a treat and everything felt good. Headed down to the line 1 km away and began to realise that I was thirsty. Damn .... no water.

Saw Feena M of DCM 2015 fame and wished each other the best. Right concentrate....push up a little as its a Gun Time race and stay in the middle to keep racing line options open for the first corner. Dont wanna face Firedance as I swing wide around one of the left handers :D. Race official appears aloft in front, courtesy of step ladder, hovering like the PP with hands outstretched. As Gaelige "Yis are all welcome" and "When I say 3, the race starts". Mad scramble to get out of the way with the ladder and we all hear 3 and are gone.

Plan was to try for 36 mins which would be a pb by 1 min (Raheny 2016 37:01). Am squeezing the last out of 8 good weeks training, since partly spoiled by illness and the op. Needs must.

KM 1 A fast enough start slightly uphill and then into the shade of the hedgerows. Stayed there to keep cool and found my rhythm after a few hundred metres. Felt fine and clocked 4.24 which was about 6 secs up.

KM 2 Pace settled down a little and spotted a small group of runners ahead. Pulled up to them and decided to settle in for 2 kms and see how things were going. Clocked 4:27 which was fine.

Km 3 Felt that I should push on a little and the legs were adjusting well. Small incline and I was pushing ahead with one oulder lad staying with me and then pushed on. I decided to stay put and let him off as the heat was pretty noticeable. Clocked 4:19.

Km 4 Roasting hot and saw that some local residents were out front handing out water in plastic cups. Grabbed one and a "Cheers" as I managed to get most of it down and then spilled the rest over my head. Moved back to the centre of the road to concentrate and shortened my stride a little to try and be as efficient as possible. Ran the racing line through the bends and clocked 4:24 on a falling section of road.

Km 5 Really really feeling the heat and had started overtaking more and more runners at this stage. the heat was having an effect and Pb's were going to be kinda scarce I reckoned. Pushed on as best I could and mentally broke down the remainder of the race. Get inside 4:30 for this and you are on track. Clocked 4:29 but felt that I was slowing.

Km 6 Adjust plan... no matter what I am going to get the last km done within 4:30. Now get through the next 2 kms to give me that chance. Boiling at this stage and the legs were beginning to feel the pace. Getting harder to concentrate and get around people as the mind drifted. Clocked 4:35 and knew the next km was critical.

Km 7 really concerned about feeling so hot and then I spot a hose over a hedge spraying water on the runners. Cross the road and took the plunge feeling instant relief that bought me 10 seconds :rolleyes:. Picked up the legs a little knowing that the Graveyard (Thanks AM) was close leaving 1 mile left to race. Clocked 4:35 again. Was not confident that the legs would carry me there. They were beginning to feel weak for the first time ever in a race.

Km 8 and a little bit. Heard the tannoy and picked out three runners ahead. Caught them by virtue that I was maintaining pace and they were probably slowing a little. Heard 2 runners behind me and looked over my shoulder before picking up the pace into the track. Firedance roars encouragement and I respond. Still 1 runner behind me. If I walk now sure I'd still pb ..... and out of nowhere I pick up the pace not wanting to be overtaken so late in the race. Gave it everything over the last 300m to pull ahead and overtake a small group before finishing.

35:46 Unofficial Time but officially I was knackered. Race done and dusted and no injuries to report. Recovered very quickly afterwards.

Thanks for the good luck wishes one and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant!!!! I was at the start too (first corner) but couldn't see anyone, think there was just over 450 runners. I wasn't in the least bit jealous of ye all in that heat!!!! Had planned to nip in for a cuppa and sandwich but the feckers had it well cordoned off for runners only :D:D Well done Denis, great to see the gains made AND after an opp too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice work D. You're made of (increasingly fast) tough stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done Denis great racing and nice chunk off that PB. Hitting some form
    now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done denis, great running. Maintain this form and you should have a great race in Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super stuff Denis congrats on the pb great race and in that heat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

The Stuff! That's it! Well done Denis B! Just reward for some really strong training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brilliant. Congratulations on the PB .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done Denis, great recovery from your op and a really enjoyable race report...showed real grit there it seems over the last few K when there were a few outs there but you showed your mettle and got just reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Superb Denis, v jealous of time. Bravo. Great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done on the PB! It wasn't easy in that weather. You were probably fairly near me (blue top, sandy coloured cap, shades) as I finished in 35:xx, having eventually got past a lady by the name of Nuala, who was getting an unbelievable amount of shoutouts! Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Well done! What a race! How are you feeling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great going, Denis. Well done. Excellent performance got you a just reward. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

denis b wrote: »

Date|Race|Distance|PB|Comment|
    14.5|Parkrun|5 Km| |21:57|
    20.5|Cooley Coast Race|10km|47:02|46:02 New pb|
    31.5|Dunboyne |5 Miler|37:01|35:46 New pb|
    11.6|Parkrun|5km|21:00|Going for a pb|
    18.6|Dunshaughlin|10 km||Target Race and another pb|
    30.6|Clonee|10km||"B"Target race- just in case|

Updated the journey and pretty happy with progress. If anything its spurred me on. Really did find Dunboyne was very hard graft and was using it to determine pacing for Dunshaughlin. I am going to stick to the plan and go for pb there and will aim for 4:30/km pace. Will have to watch pacing over the first 2-3 km and keep it steady.

Plan is to go back into training mode after that and then race again from mid August. I feel that I need a sustained training period again and have to start doing some things differently. Hydration has improved along with stretching but core and strength training needs to pick up significantly.

I contacted the BHAA to find out why my name and time was not listed for Dunboyne. Bit of a mystery as I had entered through the site online and my number and name were there on the night. Only want it for validation purposes.

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant!!!! I was at the start too (first corner) but couldn't see anyone, think there was just over 450 runners. I wasn't in the least bit jealous of ye all in that heat!!!! Had planned to nip in for a cuppa and sandwich but the feckers had it well cordoned off for runners only :D:D Well done Denis, great to see the gains made AND after an opp too!

Thanks AM. You have no idea how close I was to slowing down until I heard and then saw you. The grub was great at what is a hugely well organised event. Never saw so many volunteers in my life.
    Singer wrote: »
    Nice work D. You're made of (increasingly fast) tough stuff! :)

I feel a bit like Scotty on the bridge in Star Trek....."I don't think she can handle it Captain". The body is creaking a bit.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done Denis great racing and nice chunk off that PB. Hitting some form
    now.
    Thanks G. Getting the best I can out of the first half of this years cycle. Really enjoying the challenge.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic, well done!

Cheers Chickey2. Have you targetted any race soon?
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done denis, great running. Maintain this form and you should have a great race in Dunshaughlin.

Thanks Jake. Its partly made up for missing the K Club. Watching you log and will only see your back for this year!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Super stuff Denis congrats on the pb great race and in that heat too.

Thanks A and best wishes for the big 50 this weekend :D. Plan to be there.
    nop98 wrote: »
    The Stuff! That's it! Well done Denis B! Just reward for some really strong training.

Thanks Nop. Probably equivalent to a weeks effort mentoring DCM 2016. Great work...keep it up.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Brilliant. Congratulations on the PB .

Thanks Muppet...that doesn't sound right does it!!!!!
    diego_b wrote: »
    Well done Denis, great recovery from your op and a really enjoyable race report...showed real grit there it seems over the last few K when there were a few outs there but you showed your mettle and got just reward.

Diego....nobody more surprised than me. That lack of confidence has held me back before. Letting go and trusting yourself takes practice and a change of mindset. Felt very very determined over that last km and would have fought very very hard not to be overtaken
    aquinn wrote: »
    Superb Denis, v jealous of time. Bravo. Great racing.

Thanks A and probably at an age where I appreciate being able to race. Certainly not taking it for granted. Keep up the rehab.
    Well done on the PB! It wasn't easy in that weather. You were probably fairly near me (blue top, sandy coloured cap, shades) as I finished in 35:xx, having eventually got past a lady by the name of Nuala, who was getting an unbelievable amount of shoutouts! Keep up the good work.

Think my ability to take much in towards the end might be questionable :eek: I get the impression that you finished about 30 seconds in front of me. I had a bright red "Cooley Coast" freebie tech t-shirt on but am going to invest in a light breathable singlet for the next race. Way too warm for me. Do you mind me asking if you ran close to the time that you might have expected. Trying to figure out if the heat had a detrimental or neutral effect on timing.
    Well done! What a race! How are you feeling now?

Thanks C. recovered very quickly and no ill effects. If anything I think the race experience has strengthened me. Give it socks on Monday C.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Great going, Denis. Well done. Excellent performance got you a just reward. Keep up the good work.

Cheers M. Its all progress and uncharted at this stage. Enjoying the journey and as they say Better late than Never :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

denis b wrote: »
    Think my ability to take much in towards the end might be questionable :eek: I get the impression that you finished about 30 seconds in front of me. I had a bright red "Cooley Coast" freebie tech t-shirt on but am going to invest in a light breathable singlet for the next race. Way too warm for me. Do you mind me asking if you ran close to the time that you might have expected. Trying to figure out if the heat had a detrimental or neutral effect on timing.

TBH I wasn't expecting a whole pile beforehand. Three days later I've very mixed feelings about it.

Positives - Best 5 mile time this year (beating my Raheny chip time) and best 5 mile in seven or eight attempts since getting the PB in Terenure. I laughed when I saw that I'd beaten my time in this race two years ago.

Negatives - Over a minute off a 2 year old PB. Poor prep (dinner at 6:30) and the heat meant I constantly felt like I had to drag my body around the course - I never felt like I was running well. Much to my annoyance, I later discovered that two lads who I'd beaten in my last XC outing were two minutes ahead of me on this occasion. Overall I think I'll have to seriously up my game for the Irish Runner 5 Mile next week.

Sorry for the logjack. Plenty more improvements to come from you no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Savage going in that heat Denis, I bet there's more to be shaved off that in cooler conditions. Well done ... you should be very proud of that table, it's looking fierce well. Must be a great motivator :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I thought I had posted my congrats already but was on a mobile for the week so it probably ended up on someone else's log :rolleyes:. A great performance and well deserved PB. Long may this purple patch last!

TBH I wasn't expecting a whole pile beforehand. Three days later I've very mixed feelings about it.

Positives - Best 5 mile time this year (beating my Raheny chip time) and best 5 mile in seven or eight attempts since getting the PB in Terenure. I laughed when I saw that I'd beaten my time in this race two years ago.

Negatives - Over a minute off a 2 year old PB. Poor prep (dinner at 6:30) and the heat meant I constantly felt like I had to drag my body around the course - I never felt like I was running well. Much to my annoyance, I later discovered that two lads who I'd beaten in my last XC outing were two minutes ahead of me on this occasion. Overall I think I'll have to seriously up my game for the Irish Runner 5 Mile next week.

Sorry for the logjack. Plenty more improvements to come from you no doubt!

Great feedback and have my eye on some XC this winter as well. Was curious about what effect the heat might have had and did not want to put too much emphasis on it. Figured that I just must hydrate differently for summer and gear up appropriately. All part of the conditioning process. Will watch out for your next race.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Savage going in that heat Denis, I bet there's more to be shaved off that in cooler conditions. Well done ... you should be very proud of that table, it's looking fierce well. Must be a great motivator :)

Cheers Neady. Yep it was nice filling in the results. Think there is more to offer but will need another round of training first.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I thought I had posted my congrats already but was on a mobile for the week so it probably ended up on someone else's log :rolleyes:. A great performance and well deserved PB. Long may this purple patch last!

Thanks G. The purple is fading but have enough for one more go. May postpone the 5km attempt in a bid to keep some focus on the 10km which is my prize for now. Have just re-read the Vets Chapter in Faster Road Racing and will give myself a few more days of recovery runs first.

Wednesday

Rest

Thursday

11 km at recovery pace. Legs were fine after the race. Was tempted to start training again but decided to research what to do to assist pb efforts at 10 km in Dunshaughlin on the 18th. More rest and recovery was the simple answer.

Effort was hard at Dunboyne and anxiousness overtaking me that improving pb, with interrupted training programme, might be a step too far at next event. Reasoned it out and know that I can afford to take the first 4 kms a little easier at my next outing and that the 8 km race will stand to me in preparation as well.

Friday and Saturday

Rest and volunteer at Parkrun. Saw Mrs Mc festooned with balloons and party gear run her 50th Parkrun.

Sunday

Out for an early, humid 10 km recovery run which should wrap up the recovery process after the race. Back running tomorrow.

Monday

Pretty knackered and decided to do a 5 km easy run at 5:45/km. Seemed about enough and wont push things. Lots of water on board during the day and doubled my stretching routine.

Tuesday

10 km aerobic run with 8 x 100m strides (200 m jog recovery). Went out in the evening to do this to try and simulate up coming race time start(Dunshaughlin 7.30pm). Plenty hot down by the coast but run went very well with non stride kms at around 5:38/km. Felt grand afterwards. Am a bit of a sweater and will research salts.

Wednesday

Cross training day. Up early and out in the Mournes walking and climbing all day. Deadly humid and double checking the skies for thunderstorm potential.

• Advertisement

Thursday

VO2max day. Important session and last push before Dunshaughlin.

13km with 4 x 800m and 2 x 600m at 3-5km pace. Recovery time at 75% of interval time. Found the correct pace in the mid range after the first interval. Have a habit of going off too fast but curtailed this by the third interval. Hard enough session and the HR hit the 98% mark but recovered nicely. Had to push pretty hard for the last one but had messed up the garmin session set up so had to guess the distance.

2 km cool down on the way home gave me some time to reflect. Last race in this part of the cycle and looking forward to it. Am going to push hard but will measure the first 6km at just about new pb territory and then pick it up km by km to finish.

Advertisement