Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

nop98 wrote: »
    Good going, Denis! Well done!

Thanks Nop. Hope the recovery is going in the right direction for you.
    Younganne wrote: »
    Well done Denis. great running.
    Did you get a Prize?;);)

I think the prize was the taking part Anne. To be fair to the organisers this was a real community event and would be very happy to leave everything with such an enterprising group who are helping themselves. A real bright spot in rural Ireland.
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done Denis, congrats on the podium finish.

Thanks L and even more thanks for a very significant heads up on errrr Athlone :o. Would never have got to Oram otherwise.
    Very well done.
    When I was reading the intro I was thinking you should have no reason to fear a few hills!
    Thanks Hilly. True, a younger and more lithe Denis might not have dwelt on an elevation profile. The experience has given me some confidence in that respect.
    Well done on the result and a podium finish too! Great racing.
    Thanks M. Spent the first third of the race waiting for things to unwind and then got more comfortable with the idea of holding onto what I was working for.
    Singer wrote: »
    2nd! Did the locals treat you like royalty? :D
    Definitely sounds like an experience, very different from the larger races (Big Tom!). Looks like a very decent effort, on a very challenging course. It looks like the competitive juices kicked in, but you could expect to do a little better with a stronger field around you, and of course most 10ks aren't on as challenging courses :)
    Royalty......we were blowins for a day. Have to say they did treat us very very well. Think they were surprised that word had spread and that people would travel from Dublin, or anywhere equally far for that matter, for a race like this. We are a bit spoilt in the big smoke and its good to get out there. Signed up for a pb attempt on saturday week at 10km :)
    annapr wrote: »
    I have to say that report made me laugh out loud several times.... big Tom (life size and in person!) and drumlins, you could only be in Monaghan :pac:
    Great performance on a tough course :D

Funny what can be linked in a report, or several over time Anna. Written from the heart and as it came to me. Thanks for that.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Outstanding, Denis - great report too. Kudos. And Big Tom in the flesh has to be the icing on the cake. Hope there was a prize! Congrats.

Well D. You were right to be suspicious of a generous course in Drumlin country. Basket of Eggs Topography......can still remember that from my physical geography for the Leaving Cert eons ago. I was a slow student :) but I could run a little :D
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Super result Denis delighted for you, really well raced, and great read.
    Thanks Gary. Not quite the Walls of Limerick. Will catch up with ya soon at Parkrun. Take care with the recovery and plans.
    Absolutely brilliant Denis !!! You can't beat the feeling of a proper race for position, I was on the edge reading that report !! Well done indeed :)
    Thanks AM and no doubt you have a sense of how I feel after a very productive weekend yourself. Funny what happens when we just give something a try. It would have been very easy for me to cancel out after missing the Athlone date because Oram did not fit. MurphD made a comment about striking while the iron is hot....so right.
    conor_mc wrote: »
    Well done Denis, great racing there! As you said, different (better?) experience than chasing a pb!
    Thanks Conor. My mindset would never have thought about a race until it presented itself. And I was delighted it did. Kept me very honest with the effort. The race experience completely caught me by surprise.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What a great report! I was on the edge of my seat reading that. Who cares about PBs when you can race like that and leave those young lads in your dust. Brilliant stuff. You really must try XC next season, I'd say you'd love it. Now, set a reminder on your phone for the next 10K...:rolleyes:
    Yes G. I will definitely be tasting some XC this autumn/winter. Promised myself this year that I would push the boat out and try a few new experiences this year. Just bought a Via Ferrata set today for climbing this summer on a "rest holiday" for 10 days in early summer.

diego_b wrote: »
    Ah great stuff Denis, well done on keying into the race you were running and not the pb attempt..excellent result (and time) on the hills on hills!

Some flexibility of mind allowed for the required adaption D. That pb will come mind you and this race will have played its part. Watching your own remarkable progress.
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Nicely done Denis :) That has to be much much sweeter than a PB? It sounds like you really enjoyed racing. I hope they gave you a decent prize :)
    p.s. great report too, edge of the seat stuff.

Thanks S. Funny enough the pb never really weighed on me either during or after the race. Cannot say I planned anything but I did enjoy every aspect of my visit to Oram. Ever curious its always nice to visit somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

To pb or not pb that is the question, and you answered it well, great analysis. Catch up with you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great report Denis congrats on the podium finish you'd think they'd have big tom signed posters for podium finishers. Hope you got your selfie with him :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great report Denis congrats on the podium finish you'd think they'd have big tom signed posters for podium finishers. Hope you got your selfie with him :)

Thanks Anne. The mural on the wall was good enough for me :cool:

Sunday 30th April
    Handy enough recovery run along Griffith Avenue. Passed 17 different runners over 4 km. A record for Sunday morning. Definitely ran this far too fast.

Recovery Run 6km 5:50/km HR 137.

Monday 1st May
    Here comes summer!!!! Dropped the rest day off the recovery week and did a recovery run instead. Very poor sleep and chest feels tight.

Recovery Run 5km at 6:02 and HR 136.

Tuesday 2nd May
    Another Recovery Run. Important as I am focusing on HR and slowed right down to get this session right.

Recovery Run 5km at 6:08/km and HR 133.

Wednesday 3rd May

Another Recovery run. Legs feeling a lot better and knee is slowly improving.

8km 6:03 and HR 134

Thursday 4th May
    Very last Recovery Run and HR has definitely improved as this route had a few kms uphill.

Recovery Run 10.3km at 6:04/km and HR 131

Friday 5th May
    Rest Day. Badly needed. Body and mind are tired.

Saturday 6th May
    Aerobic Run which felt comfortable at around 5:29/km pace. Had 8x100m strides to keep the legs ticking over and managed to get several kms run on grass. Always feels good. This run has not connected from Connect for some reason.

Really busy day so was out the door early for this along by the sea.

Sunday 7th May

Very late night last night and a few beers more than I normally drink. 3 pints and Denis has a hangover - upside I dont get too many hangovers and further upside; I got out on a glorious early summer morning to taste Dublin.

Route headed out over the East link along by Sandymount and back through the leafy D4 and D6 suburbs to collect the abandoned car from last night in town. Oh the head wasn't great to start with but plenty of water and porridge did the trick. Ran in the shelter of the buildings and high walls until I crossed the East Link and then was exposed to the sun. Pace picked up nicely and finished this run very strongly just checking back on the pace over the last 3 kms.

13.4 km at 5:35km pace and HR 143

• Advertisement

Monday 8th May
    Rest Day

Tuesday 9th May
    As I was due to race this Saturday in the evening time I had planned a few runs later in the day for a change. Trying to get the body used to some activity at a time when it more usually was getting ready to wind down. Out the door to a beautiful early summer evening and the legs felt great. Dialed the pace back a little until I got to the 1.3 km leg at Race Pace. Always a nice reminder of what is to come and always the doubt about being able to maintain the pace for a whole race. Finished the session off with 4x100m strides. Really getting to like these and works out at 20 double steps accelerating and twenty double steps at speed to complete the 100m. Never a need to look at the watch and always bang on 100m.

6.5 Km Aerobic with 1.3km at 10km Race Pace and 4x100m strides at 5:13/km and hr 145

Wednesday 10th May
    Down to the legacy estate of the Guinness family (St. Annes Park) for an easy lap of the course for Saturdays race. It became apparent that the beautiful evergreen Holm Oak trees would block GPS access so pacing with the watch would be of limited use. Finished the 5km with achey legs and feeling very tired.

5km at 5:55/km and hr 140 (hmmmmm - suspicions confirmed)

Thursday 11th May
    Rest Day and could have slept all day but that doesn't pay the bills.

Friday 12th May
    Easy run of 5km with 4x100m strides. Still feeling very tired but feeling a little better. A late night ahead with a social with the neighbours. Just 2 bottles of beer and bed for 1 am. Was a nice tonic.

Saturday 12th May
    D Day. 10 km Summer Series Race in St. Annes. 2 loops of a 5km track which could only be described as a pretty nice racing course. First 2 km very gently downhill along the main avenue to the coast and then around by the pond and back up into the park crossing the Dog Excercise area before following the old 5km course back to the avenue and around the cone at Sybil Hill Gate for 5 km.

3.4 km warm up with 4x100m strides and full stretches. A decent crowd and a well timed start for 6.30 sharp. Plan was to pb. by taking 20 seconds over the first 2 kms and a further 20 seconds over the corresponding section on the 2nd lap(6-7kms). Needed to hold the pace inside 4:30 for every other km. Old pb stood at 44:48.

Very brief report ensues but the Garmin times on Strava are pretty unreliable due to the many turns under tree cover. Quickly fell into a nice rhythm and managed to win 24 seconds over the first 2 kms. The race quickly broke down into single file but to be honest I was racing against the clock today. This was a fast start by my standards and a negative split would be a huge challenge.

Headed back into the park from the coast shortening the step and increasing turnover on the short hill through the Holm Oaks. Forget the watch and feel the pace. Pick it up Denis and keep it honest. Out into the open onto familiar ground and pinching at this stage but the 5th km was 4:28 which was a positive.

Hit the 5km in 21:58 exactly. Passed the water station and grabbed a cup pouring it over my head for heat relief. Oh that brought me right back into the present. All existential thoughts disappeared and this race mattered. It mattered a lot. Aim is to break all distance pb's over the year. The effort of the first 5 km has to count for something. The next 2 kms are where I need my gains and I pick up the pace again bagging 19 more seconds over the distance.

Digging very deep now. If I ease off then I know that I most likely will still pb but what will that feel like afterwards. No good. along by the coast and back up the hill into the heart of the park for the second time. This feels much stronger than the first lap. The watch cannot help me but I catch two other runners and stick with them as they respond.

2kms to go and I am holding on there making every effort to push the pace on upwards and taking care with the race line. Every meter counts. Just run what you have to. Slightly uphill past the dog enclosure and around to the tennis courts and keeping my concentration with the pace. Its everything and I relax the body and start stretching the legs. I can feel the lungs struggling. Last km and I push ahead not wanting to settle for anything other than my best today.

Pace quickens again but there will be no final kick. This is it and it was measured out over the whole course this time. I pass a well wisher bent over and slapping his thighs "300 meters to go" he roars "give it everything for 1 minute and you're there" he adds. Oh people are well placed. Last km covered well under 4:30 to give a massive pb of 43:41. That was 67 seconds off last years pb.

Within 10 seconds I had caught my breath and moved over to cheer on those on the course. I was happy with the run and moved off to complete a 2.4km cool down as the evening was getting chilly. On reflection I feel that I am probably a little off my best. Very poor sleep over the last week had caught up on me but a power nap 3 hours before the race helped. There are lots of thing that can be improved on and diet is probably number 1. Still any evening that I can go out and run a solid race like that is a good day and the measure of the performance will be absorbed in time. It has meaning and reflects a solid cycle of training and the rewards off that in racing yesterday is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific race, Denis, congrats. Totally focussed there. Will have to get some tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great stuff Denis. Congrats on your latest PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Brilliant result D, especially if you felt not 100% your training is solid right now, well done!

Brilliant result Denis well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Fantastic Denis, that's an impressive pb, well done!

....off to google "holm oaks' now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great training deserving of a great pb. Well done yesterday, Denis! Sounds like a very well executed race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Denis, delighted for you. That's some PB and you not feeling 100%.

I love the report and the total focus and not giving up. Well deserved PB for solid training.

Great racing Denis, great performance, well done on PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good man Denis, more fine racing from your and enjoying your focus to the task at hand and delivering time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Very well done Denis. Congrats on the PB an every well paced - a well judged effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Solid stuff Denis, very well raced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, talk about embracing the pain. That was a really sweet victory for you Denis, well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done denis and congrats on a very impressive PB.

Sunday 14th May

Nice and handy Sunday morning recovery run. Thoughts turning to what next. Have figured that after 3 races I probably need to rest and then sharpen up a little. That will be the plan until early July and will throw in a race or two along the way. Will look to start ramping up the mileage week by week until marathon training starts.

6km Recovery Run at 5:56 and HR 136.

Monday 15th May
    Rest Day

Tuesday 16th May
    Just another recovery run of 8km at 5:59/km at hr 138

Wednesday 17th May
    Evening Recovery Run 10km at 6:06 and HR 137.

Thursday 18th May
    Early morning Recovery run of 10.3km at 5:52 and HR 132. HR has fallen back a little despite a gentle increase in recovery pace and bearing in mind that it was 2 runs within 12 hours.

Friday 19th May
    A hill walking day in Wicklow showing a few people around the hills. Spectacular day and the legs felt good. Could feel some wobble in the quads by day end.

Saturday 20th May
    Back to some aerobic running with 11km and 8x100m strides. My mind needed this and it was good to stretch the legs out.

11km at 5:26km and hr 140.

Sunday 21st May
    Lost the plot a little. Prescribed session 14km Aerobic run. Was feeling good and the kms just got faster and faster. Went with it and kept HR in mind throughout the run. Ended up with 14km at 5:17km and hr 145.

• Advertisement

Plan is to increase mileage each week, but keeping in some LT/VO2/Prog Runs and speed work to keep things fresh for a few more weeks before embarking on a marathon programme.

Tuesday 23rd May
    12km Aerobic Run with 6x12secs hill sprints and 6x100m strides. Legs felt great on the hill sprints, as though there was power there for the first time in weeks.

12km 5:29/km and HR 142

Wednesday 24th May
    After a long day in the west arrived home and got out to savour something of the evening sun. Nice comfortable run.

Aerobic Run 13km at 5:25/km and HR 149

Friday 26th May
    Got out early for a LT session along by the coast in Clontarf. Was hardly gone from the house and already felt dehydrated. Session comprised 11km with 2x12 mins LT. Had roughly calculated my pace to be around 4:20/km.

Completed a 2.5km warm up at a sharp enough pace. Completed the first 12 mins at 4:15/km pace. Pretty shattered after this and absolutely parched. Lined up fr the second leg and decided to run towards the shelter of Fairview Park and out of the sun. Worked very hard on the second LT lap and decided to quit at 8 mins. Good decision. I knew something had to be wrong.

What an idiot. Wrong LT pace. Re read Faster Road Running and found the footnote************ add 10-15secs per km to guide times for LT sessions for "less able" runners. That would make a pace of closer to 4:40/km. Had a hunch something was wrong as the LT pace was faster than my 10km pb pace. Live and learn.

11km at 5:17/km but head gasket felt like it had blown.

Saturday 27th May
    Sense reigns and made this a very handy Recovery Run of 5km.

5km at 6:07/km and HR 126.

By Saturday evening the health had gone south. Something viral and aches etc. Nothing serious but it explained the session collapse the previous day. Well at least it appears that I am listening to the ould body at least. No damage done and now to nail a bit more planning and research during a few rest days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FWIW Denis, my (scientifically measured!) LT is 4:19. I would say yours is close enough to that based on our fairly similar race times. Hope you feel better soon!

Agree with D, probably sickness, I know if I'm in form LT of 4.20 or so is comfortably hard, but if not up to it on a piticular day can drift by 10 sec and as long as the effort is there I don't stress to much. Get well soon.

denis b wrote: »

Month|2017|2016|2015|2014
    Jan|59|149|183|
    Feb|198|168|200|
    March|200|207|318|
    April|235|24|200|
    May|215|165|118|95
    June||128|126|126
    July||158|185|160
    August||154|271|117
    September||127|250|69
    October||98|174|167
    November||169|106|157
    December||136|79|169
    Totals|907|1,683|2,210|1,060

Table in kms folks.[/QUOTE]

Kms Update and not looking too bad. Main goal for this year was to avoid any injury/illness breaks and have managed to keep this to an absolute minimum. Mileage is up about 27% on last year and managed to get in 3 decent races which involved taper and recovery weeks.

I have just entered into the Dublin Race Series 10mls, 1/2 Marathon and Marathon. Had to swop out the Charleville HM as it clashes with All Ireland Football Final and will have to be there to watch the Dubs win :D.

Aim will be to pb at all races so taking no chances with the preparation. Will continue with the mileage buildup so that I can slot into 18 week (55mls) P&D Plan a week early on the 19th of June. It was a very close call with the Meno Plan but the schedule and variety won me over. Plus, there is unfinished business with this plan as I used it 2 years ago training for a dnf in Belfast. Lessons learned and have the advantage of a much deeper training base and am used to the type of training sessions in the plan this time.

I have revised all my training paces based on the recent 10km pb and aim to loose about 4kgs to aid the marathon journey before the end of July. Will be aiming for 3:3X and am viewing this as a stepping stone only. The 2017 Odyssey involves 8 pbs at different distances. 2 down and 6 to go.

Murph_D wrote: »
    FWIW Denis, my (scientifically measured!) LT is 4:19. I would say yours is close enough to that based on our fairly similar race times. Hope you feel better soon!

Will assess again before the next session Denis and need to go over similar sessions in the past. Think the virus was lurking and that I could safely manage something in the 4:2x range ok. Soak up all that history and culture on hols D.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Agree with D, probably sickness, I know if I'm in form LT of 4.20 or so is comfortably hard, but if not up to it on a piticular day can drift by 10 sec and as long as the effort is there I don't stress to much. Get well soon.

Totally agree G. Up for grabs again but glad I had the sense to pull up on the day. I don't mind working hard (probably relish it in the moment) but this just felt like something was wrong.

Table in kms folks.

I have just entered into the Dublin Race Series 10mls, 1/2 Marathon and Marathon. Had to swop out the Charleville HM as it clashes with All Ireland Football Final and will have to be there to watch the Dubs win :D.

This is my biggest concern about Charleville too... what if Donegal get to the final?? :p Ok, that's not that big a worry really, but I have already started fretting about where to watch the game... can't believe I got signed up for a HM on AI final day!!! :eek:

PS You've set some ambitious goals for yourself, good luck with them!

annapr wrote: »
    This is my biggest concern about Charleville too... what if Donegal get to the final?? :p

No need to worry A as Ulster play Leinster on the 27th August in the semifinal. My money is on Donegal v Dublin for that game. Now you can concentrate on the HM in peace :D:D:D

Yep, a little bit of ambition was required for the year. Was shocked to break the 5km pb in a tune up race for the 10km as that was my strongest pb by a considerable margin. Still, just to finish the marathon is an achievement in itself so that is the one I will be most cautious about.

Wow Denis DCM fair play and best of luck will watch the training with interest over the coming months. :)

No need to worry A as Ulster play Leinster on the 27th August in the semifinal. My money is on Donegal v Dublin for that game. Now you can concentrate on the HM in peace :D:D:D

:pac: Lot of bridges to cross before any semifinal for donegal (other than Ulster semi-final against Tyrone!).

• Advertisement

Tuesday May 30th
    Very Easy Run 11km, 5:59/km at 136 HR. Treated this as a recovery run. Just went nice and handy to see how the body was. Have had aches and feeling weak for a couple of days so rested up. Marathon training starts on the 19th of June so happy to just keep the kms ticking over.

Wednesday 31st May
    Easy run of 10.3kms, more or less:). Enjoyed this and could feel that I am not back to normal yet. 5:45/km and Hr 136.

Thursday 1st June
    Easy Run of 9km in the Phoenix Park at 5:50/km and HR 138. First run back in the Park in a while. Amazing how used to humans the deer have got. Not sure that is necessarily such a good thing.

Saturday 3rd June
    9km Easy run at 5:34/km and HR 140. Ran into Alber College Park and got the idea of linking up as many parks in one of the upcoming longer runs. Wonder how many could be got in during a 20km run in Dublin?.

Sunday 4th June
    First session in a week or so. Progressive Endurance Run 13km at 5:25/km and HR 146. Just did a quick loop on long roads simulating drags and long stretches into what little wind was there. Had not run this route before and its very much only doable with little traffic.

legs felt very good and the faster kms were particularly manageable. A nice confidence booster that the health is heading in the right direction.

Advertisement