Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

How many weeks are you doing Denis, I am following Meno 17 weeks, which I have as starting Monday 2nd July. Just want to make sure I'm counting right. Looks like your doing 19 weeks or am I wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Spot on Gary. 18 weeks P&D with a buffer week for the hols in early July. If i don't need the buffer week then I will just repeat a week of the programme very early on. Will be looking to stick to the plan very closely.

denis b wrote: »
    Spot on Gary. 18 weeks P&D with a buffer week for the hols in early July. If i don't need the buffer week then I will just repeat a week of the programme very early on. Will be looking to stick to the plan very closely.

If I remembered everything I read I wouldn't have had to ask��, ordered copy of P&D book myself will get on Wednesday, so will have a read over next few weeks and check it out for future.

Tuesday 6th June
    Aerobic Run 13.2km, incl. 6x12secs hill sprints +6x100m strides. Avg. 5:22/km
    Felt good on the run but I think that I am running these sessions way too fast for me. Have been very very tired since my last race. Using the off programme break until DCM training starts on the 19th June to try and recover. Have not felt any recovery to speak of. One good run and then two tired ones, and so the cycle goes, No surprise as I haven't been very proactive in managing things and a lot of the sessions are merging into similar progressive runs at times. (I am reflecting on this as I am typing this now on the 11th June).

Wednesday 7th June
    Recovery Run of 5km at 5:38/km. was very tired so just ran this to get some easy mileage in. Again, on reflection: this is way too fast for a proper recovery run.

Friday 8th June
    Easy 8.4km at 5:39/km. Did much better on this run. As usual most of my runs are done on courses that offer some exposure to drags and hills. Slowly getting used to them which I hope will pay off for DCM in October.

Saturday 9th June
    Late night on Friday night. No prowess in the drinking stakes and a glass or two of wine and 2 pints has me recovering until early afternoon. Got out into the sun and wind for this and enjoyed the run.

Easy 7km at 5:27/km/ The last km was around 5:07 and I had had not noticed the pace increasing. Good and bad I suppose.

Sunday 10th June
    This was to be the first of my practice LSR runs. Will increase them so that I can slip into the programme handily enough. Ran 15.5km at 5:59/km pace and felt great all day afterwards. Am hoping that the better pacing will help with the tiredness. Sleep is also slowly improving.

Met a fellow runner half way through the run who recently arrived from Poland. He had a Cork HM '17 finisher t-shirt on and seemed to be running at my pace. I kinda pulled up alongside him and the next 8km just flew by. As it happens we are both DCM Marathon bound and have very similar race times. Plan is to head out again together on the long runs. I think it will help, particularly on the LSR's when its much easier to chat. It's an experiment.

I gave the P&D <55mls Programme a once over to see how I can incorporate it into hols and races (Frank Duffy 10mls and Dublin Race Series HM) Think I have figured out a plan to make these races work but would be glad of any input. My aim is to try and pb at 10mls, HM and DCM. My times are softish but I don't want to jeopardise any race so will aim for 10 Miler (Current pb 1:18:01) as a strong run under 1:15:00, rather than a complete all out race. I will use the 10 mile run to gauge targets for the HM etc. Current HM pb is 1:45:11 (2015) and DCM 3:54:11 (2015). Basic thinking is that 2017 will be a building year and hopefully one of continuous improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well the obvious answer is that your targets are soft, although granted, as we all know by now, it's sometimes dangerous to extrapolate upwards off shorter times. Still though, if I recall correctly your recent 10k time would suggest something closer to 70-72 mins for F Duffy and maybe 1:36-1:37 or better for Half, no? Those times would then of course have you looking at a 3:30 marathon at least. Maybe a tad aggressive to scale up like that but my thinking has always been, if you've raced the times, you've earned the right to train at the appropriate paces for the longer events, and if you do that, you more often than not will come close to the goal. Especially a strong runner like yourself with plenty of gumption and resolve.

• Advertisement

Have to agree with D, I think your 10 mile will be closer to 72 than 75 and HM target of 1.35/6or so is achievable off a good Marathon block, and all that going well sub 3.30 for DCM. Just bought P&D Advanced Marathoning, plenty of decent sessions and a good few LR and MLR with MP miles which should give a good feel for pace. Plenty more reading to do though. Best luck with the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Sounds like a plan. The only thing I'd be wary of is the scheduling. On the P+D 18 week plan the 2 races you've specified coincide with MP long runs, so I'd make sure to get those sessions done at some other stage if you plan on racing the races. As for the holidays - do you plan on running at all when your away? The first 2 weeks of the plan only have 4 days running, which might suit when your away. A buffer week might be better used around the half marathon to allow for a mini taper and recovery. As for a target for DCM - 3:3x sounds about right. If you do the Frank Duffy in 1:15 and have a bit left to give afterwards then 3:3x is well within your reach. I think you can take what the calculators give you and add on 3 or 4 minutes at least for Dublin given the nature of the course and also to allow some time for running long (i.e 26.4 miles).

I found this site a great help with pacing last year:

http://mymarathonpace.com/

You'll end up paying something like €7 for the fully functional spreadsheet and pace bands, but you can download the demo version and it will give you some idea of a pacing strategy to use over the drags and pulls of DCM.

The following table outlines the key Saturday/Sunday Run in the P&D Programme that I want to do. The programme needs to start on the 26th of June to satisfy the time schedules.

Week 11|Week 10|Week 9|Week 8|Week 7|Week 6|Week 5|Week 4|Week 3|Week 2|Week 1|Race Week
    LR 29 km| LR 32 km| 19kms at MP (26kms)| MLR 23 kms| LR 32 kms| LR 27kms| MP 23kms (29)| LR 27 kms| LR 32 kms| LR 26 kms| MLR 19kms| Marathon

Problem is that Frank Duffy 10 mls occurs on week 9 and DCM HM on Week 5 of the above P&D Plan. I intend to start the plan a week early (19th June) and although I will be away on hols for 10 days I will be able to stick to the plan as it overlaps with very early weeks of the programme. Therefore, as HBS has suggested, I can use the buffer week. Would it be advantageous to introduce a second buffer week and use one before/after (which?) each of the above races? Would this take away from the Plan ? or am I being too cautious?

Just to be clear, I am attempting to pb at all 3 races but do not want to undermine the marathon in particular. I have serious reservations about being able to complete the LR's and MP Pace Runs, as well as racing the 3 distances. I can add in two buffer weeks if needed. My own thoughts are now (Thanks Murph D & Kenny G); Race the 10 mls, Run the HM as a hard run, and then (heavens above) race the Marathon, as follows, with the aid a buffer week.

If I start on the 19th June then the following is possible:
    Week 11|Week 10|Week 9| Buffer Week|Week 8|Week 7|Week 6|Week 5|Week 4|Week 3|Week 2|Week 1|Race Week
    LR 29 km| LR 32 km| 19kms at MP (26kms)| Duffy 10 mls| MLR 23kms| LR 32 kms| LR 27kms| MP 23kms (29)| LR 27 kms| LR 32 kms| LR 26 kms| MLR 19kms| Marathon

Week 6&4 have scheduled races on the Saturday. DCM HM is scheduled on Week 5. Should I just run the HM hard (should pb at that), rather than race it in lieu of the 23kms at MP. Does this sound reasonable?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well the obvious answer is that your targets are soft, although granted, as we all know by now, it's sometimes dangerous to extrapolate upwards off shorter times. Still though, if I recall correctly your recent 10k time would suggest something closer to 70-72 mins for F Duffy and maybe 1:36-1:37 or better for Half, no? Those times would then of course have you looking at a 3:30 marathon at least. Maybe a tad aggressive to scale up like that but my thinking has always been, if you've raced the times, you've earned the right to train at the appropriate paces for the longer events, and if you do that, you more often than not will come close to the goal. Especially a strong runner like yourself with plenty of gumption and resolve.

Thanks for that D. Am particularly concerned about trying to capture all the elements of the P&D Plan while attempting to race as well. See my further post... I think I may tend to run better at shorter distances. There is a fall of between my 5km and 10 km pb's as it stands!!!! You are right about the extrapolation issue, which I am trying to judge. Think the 10 Frank Duffy Race will put that to bed.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Have to agree with D, I think your 10 mile will be closer to 72 than 75 and HM target of 1.35/6or so is achievable off a good Marathon block, and all that going well sub 3.30 for DCM. Just bought P&D Advanced Marathoning, plenty of decent sessions and a good few LR and MLR with MP miles which should give a good feel for pace. Plenty more reading to do though. Best luck with the plan.

Thanks G. Have just started thumbing my way through it. Just realised on Saturday that I had run another plan for DCM 15 so this is all new to me as well.
    Sounds like a plan. The only thing I'd be wary of is the scheduling. On the P+D 18 week plan the 2 races you've specified coincide with MP long runs, so I'd make sure to get those sessions done at some other stage if you plan on racing the races. As for the holidays - do you plan on running at all when your away? The first 2 weeks of the plan only have 4 days running, which might suit when your away. A buffer week might be better used around the half marathon to allow for a mini taper and recovery. As for a target for DCM - 3:3x sounds about right. If you do the Frank Duffy in 1:15 and have a bit left to give afterwards then 3:3x is well within your reach. I think you can take what the calculators give you and add on 3 or 4 minutes at least for Dublin given the nature of the course and also to allow some time for running long (i.e 26.4 miles).

What do think of the revised plan posted above M?

I found this site a great help with pacing last year:

http://mymarathonpace.com/

You'll end up paying something like €7 for the fully functional spreadsheet and pace bands, but you can download the demo version and it will give you some idea of a pacing strategy to use over the drags and pulls of DCM.

Many thanks for that as I can double check my paces.

I can't really see the table on my phone, but I'll have a proper look on the PC later. Personally I'd be keen to get the MP stuff done even if I had to do it a week later. AMK said over on the Improvers thread that he worked some MP stuff into the MLRs so you could make up for it that way. There's not a lot of MP paced runs in this plan. As far as the Half is concerned - if your going to race it the race it. If your not going to go all out for it I think there is no point in running it easier than HMP and harder than MP. So if your not going to race it then do it as an MP session??

• Advertisement

I was just messing around with some spreadsheets there and came up with this:

P+D 55

The first tab is the plan from the book. The 2nd is the plan with a buffer week from the 10 miler. I've moved all the runs form the week of the half to the week before and changed a few bits the week of the half. The week after the half has an 8k-15k race scheduled so I got rid if that and just added in a MLR to make up the mileage - it might be to heavy a week after the half though.

What do you think?

The last tab is my own plan which is a P+D recovery plan leading into an 16 week version of the up to 55 plan with extra runs and stuff moved around.

Edit: Just looking at to there again , it might make more sense to move the buffer week to the week of the half - if you do that then the week of the Frank Duffy becomes a low mileage week anyway which might suit better. I'll make a 4th sheet to show that option

I'd be in the racing the races and adjust the Schudle, there are 4 MP sessions and along with 10 mile race and HM, not to sure you need two many more MP sessions. From limited amount I've read the thought is that stimulus from Racing is worth more than any training stimulus, after FD you'll have a good idea how quickly you recover prior to HM, you could always make the call nearer the time depending on how the training is going and how body is holding up.

You could always replace previous Saturday tune up 15k, with 15 or 16 at MP,
    And move VO2 session for week following half to the Saturday before LR, if you are recovered enough. I think you will have to wing it a bit depending what the race takes out of you, But HBS or Murph may have a better idea.

HBS has it sorted.

Agreed. It's up to you but no reason not to race FD and HM, with a little switching around. Wouldnt worry too much about the detail this early - just start the plan with the idea that you'll be racing those weeks and adjust as you get there (generally the race replaces LR, and you back off the session and/or MLR during race week). Personally I rarely did the back to back race/LR that the plan suggests for weeks -6, -4 and -2 anyway. Maybe that was my downfall!

There's always going to be some adjustments. Just build them around the races you want to do. At this stage of your marathon career, the benefit of the interim racing outweighs the cost to the plan's integrity, I would think.

I was just messing around with some spreadsheets there and came up with this:

P+D 55

The first tab is the plan from the book. The 2nd is the plan with a buffer week from the 10 miler. I've moved all the runs form the week of the half to the week before and changed a few bits the week of the half. The week after the half has an 8k-15k race scheduled so I got rid if that and just added in a MLR to make up the mileage - it might be to heavy a week after the half though.

What do you think?
    Thanks for that M. That is a great help. I am going to take your advice and put the buffer week to better use for the HM and have made the post HM race week alterations as well.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I'd be in the racing the races and adjust the Schudle, there are 4 MP sessions and along with 10 mile race and HM, not to sure you need two many more MP sessions. From limited amount I've read the thought is that stimulus from Racing is worth more than any training stimulus,
    I have gotten all greedy and managed to get all the MP sessions and races in :D. Let's see what happens but I am prepared to adjust things to ensure that I get the pb's in.

after FD you'll have a good idea how quickly you recover prior to HM, you could always make the call nearer the time depending on how the training is going and how body is holding up.

100% agree G. Will be playing things by ear but much easier to do so with a definite plan worked out in advance. I have messed up with lack of planning before and this time there will be a lot less room for mistakes. Paying a lot of attention to pacing and scheduling this time.

Thanks for taking the time to input here.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Agreed. It's up to you but no reason not to race FD and HM, with a little switching around. Wouldnt worry too much about the detail this early - just start the plan with the idea that you'll be racing those weeks and adjust as you get there (generally the race replaces LR, and you back off the session and/or MLR during race week). Personally I rarely did the back to back race/LR that the plan suggests for weeks -6, -4 and -2 anyway. Maybe that was my downfall!

Well D, you have the experience of giving it a damn good go. The LR and MP runs are enough on their own :eek:, but I was caught between two stools with the 2 races. Will race them now and the buffer week will certainly help. No doubt, that the HM race will be particularly trying with the other demands but will see how the body copes and put in a decent effort at the very least.
    As you say......

At this stage of your marathon career, the benefit of the interim racing outweighs the cost to the plan's integrity, I would think.

Thanks again folks for the input. Got the digout that I needed.

Remember a buffer week can be a recovery week too!

Monday 12th June
    Recovery Run 7 km at 6:05 /km and hr 132. Nice and handy local lap which includes the obligatory DCM drag.Had no effect on the HR.

Wednesday 14th June
    MLR of 11.7 km at 5:38 /km and HR 138. About 4/5 of my runs are usually done early morning which means I don't get to eat before I go out. May have to adjust this for the MLR in course and must read up on the training response to this type of activity.

Thursday 15th June
    Aerobic Run and felt good on this covering the 8 km at 5:27/km. Threw in 8x100 m strides and HR 153. Just conscious that I need to kickstart some faster sessions now.

Saturday 17th June
    LSR practice day. Kicked on with the mileage to 18 kms with a Parkrun in the middle. On such a hot day I was already thirsty by the time I rocked up to the race start after 5km. Picked the pace up a little in the race finishing (avg. 5:47/km) which was not a good idea. Ran a post race lap with Annapr, Murph D, Aquinn and P and then toddled off down to the waterfront to run home in the sun.

18 km at 5:56/km. HR monitor was acting up but this was a fair effort and way harder than it should have been. Have since hunted out 2 white tech T-shirts and my old running belt to carry water. Needs must.

Non running stuff. Got a chance to go climbing in Wales for 3 days at very short notice. It was a big decision so I challenged myself and went. Have found it difficult to find real motivation at times to do anything out of the ordinary. I want to but the push is not there. First trip away since losing Ronan and we had hiked in South Wales in June last year.

Sunday: Climbing on the Idwal Slabs and hike in and out of the Cwm.
    Monday: Completed the Snowdon Horseshoe incl the infamous Crib Goch and 3 Pinnacles. Went extremely well even with the extraordinary heat and we finished it at a very competitive pace. Had no hill fitness going away but the running sure helps. Hamstrings stung a little when lifting my legs over ledges but that was all. We were not passed all day and considering I was protecting my right knee I was well pleased. Views were stunning and an older wiser me had time to examine the surroundings: Found my first Starry Saxifrage and Snowdon Lily and had plenty of time to take in the old copper and slate mines.
    Tuesday: Circuit of the Glyders via a climb of Tryfan North Ridge and straight onto Bristly Ridge (Glyder Fach) before crossing Glyder Fawr and then descending through Hell's Kitchen. Managed not to get burnt to a cinder.

No running but a great opportunity to change pace for a few days. Would strongly recommend Wales for a few days walking folks. Kind of gets overlooked these days.

And back to the running. This was the first week of my slightly extended (1 buffer week for the HM) P&D 18 week 55 mls programme. Already behind but in a better place to get started. Will settle for that.

Wednesday 21st June
    Legs were very heavy so had to improvise and drop the LT session for a few days. Headed out and did 8.6 km Easy at 5:42/km. HR high at 145. Am pretty tired.

Thursday 22nd June
    Followed up with a similar 8.5 km early morning run along the seafront for some grass miles. Managed 5:44 /km and HR 138. Thats a little better. Could hardly keep my eyes open all day. Very tired. Has been a busy week. Would be happy to sit still for a few days and read a book for a change.

Friday 23rd June
    Slept it in and was awoken lest I wouldn't have time to run!!!!! Could not remember the day of the week or where I was when I sat up.

LT Day gggrrrr. Up and at it. 13km Run with 6 at LT (4:30/km for now). Warmed up with a progressive 6 km run and then ran the LT kms (Garmin: 4:28, 4:25, 4:30, 4:23, 4:26 and 4:22). Significant variance with Strava!!!!!!. Little faster than planned but there was some downhill involved so happy enough with that for starters. Felt grand for this as though it was a strong pace rather than a complete ball breaker. HR came it at 87% of MHR for the 6km LT. Good to have the confirmation on effort but will watch this very closely. I will change the route as I think that a flatter profile would be fairer for monitoring progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with the plan D, Dublin the goal?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plan D, Dublin the goal?

Sure is B. Thanks. Rotterdam is my Plan B if I have a disaster, but I am hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That hike sounds lovely and bittersweet no doubt, fair play for taking the plunge when the opportunity arose.

That hike sounds lovely and bittersweet no doubt, fair play for taking the plunge when the opportunity arose.

So true AM. On the last descent on the last day I ran into a chap sporting a discreet enough tattoo. He was with his son and stopped for a breather and a chat as they were ascending. The tattoo read "Memories or Dreams". I complimented him on his choice of words and actions in being out and about on the mountain on such a hot day. Now I would not be one for reading a huge amount into such a fateful encounter but it most certainly resonated very strongly in me. It felt very very good.

In some ways it was a little like the plunge you so recently made when taking to your adventure race.

• Advertisement

Saturday 24th June
    6km Recovery Run along the avenue at 6:09/km with HR 131.

Legs felt a little leaden after LT Friday. Will be using HR stats to double check all pacing this DCM cycle. Did the same for DCM '15 whilst recovering from a DNF in Belfast '15. Definitely have a tendency to overcook some sessions which drags the health down.

Sunday 25th June
    19km LSR at 5:58 /km and HR 136

Headed out the door nice and early into a light mist with no heat.....Bliss!!!. Was to meet a LSR partner so ran up and down to get warmed up but I was stood up :o. Ah well between languages and time a mix up was always possible.

Decided to head out on another new route through Ballymun and out to the back of the airport. Checked each km to make sure that I was pace steady. My current LSR pace is 5:43 to 6:14 /km and HR 136-154. Aim for this run was to see if I had recovered from the recent climbing trip and LT session by matching LR pace to HR band.

Quietly sang what I could remember of the old Bagatelle number "Summer in Dublin" heading past the Tower Ghosts...."Take me away from the city...
    The ballad sped me up and over the outer city lip and across the M50 motorway into North County Dublin.

Was surprised to look at the watch and see that I had 12 km done and dusted. This is not what I remember of the LSR's last time round but it is only week 1 (with a buffer). Decided to pass my old primary and secondary school on the way back into town. I can still remember my Junior Infants Classroom (Class of '67 - no revolution here) and the skeletal limbs of the trees that grew close to the building. Always day dreamed of ways that I could climb out the window and into the tree to escape. I don't think that school suited me. Well the trees are still there ( 2 Beech and 1 Birch).

Well the run is done and dusted. Absolutely revitalised after it too. Went very well and HR was right on the lower bounds whilst pacing was pretty well in the middle. It was an ideal LSR morning weather wise so will lift the pace by 4-5 seconds for next weeks LSR.

Week 1 Summary
    Target Kms: 53 kms
    Achieved: 55.6 kms
    All sessions completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats on starting the journey to DCM! Your running still produces some good food for thought for you. How did you find running alongside the runway and back into Ballymun? I've never gone out that way, always assumed the cars would be annoying.

Singer wrote: »
    Congrats on starting the journey to DCM! Your running still produces some good food for thought for you. How did you find running alongside the runway and back into Ballymun? I've never gone out that way, always assumed the cars would be annoying.

Cheers B. Yes, running seems to help process stuff which works well for me.

Hit the airport from Ballymun and went back towards town along the Swords Road. Was not too bad alongside the runway but had to be watchful for cars even though it was early enough on Sunday morning. Stopped twice but it was always going to be a trade off. Enjoyed the take off and landings and got a little nervous for one little SAS 737 that seemed to thrust but didn't really appear to be going too fast. That was the cause of one of my stops to see if it would get airborne. It did, like a swan needing a longer stretch of water than most.

Looking forward to your Docklands PB Special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Catching up on your log Denis :) Delighted to see you on the road to DCM, I've no doubt that you will make every step count.

Wales sounds like it was just what you needed. There's something about the mountains thats very therapeutic and even more special when you get to share them with others.

Crib Goch, that's some ridge, nice going to get all that in.

Catch up time.

Week 2 of DCM 2017

Tuesday 27th June
    13km with 10x100m strides: Out to the end of the North Bull on a warm and breezy evening. This run left me fairly flat. Just seemed to be something missing and had to work far harder than I would have expected for the given pace. HR hit the high 140's against the wind on the way out.

13 km at 5:40/km and HR 141.

Thursday 29th June
    Very easy run to see how I felt. Big improvement. Pretty worn out on the run in to a small holiday.

8km at 5:36/km and hr 141.

Friday 30th June
    Was nervous about this run as it was to be first of the P&D LR's at MP. Broke down what was required and had worked out a pace range (5 to 5:11/km) for the MP miles (or kms in my case).

Ran out of the city to Swords and back "Singer Style". First 8 km went nice and relaxed and then hit the MP kms. Pretty much hit the fast end of the pace range from the start and it felt ok. Enjoyed the pace required and could have managed another few kms without struggling. A good start.

21.6 kms with 13 at MP and hr at 147. Hitting all the numbers and keeping a particularly close eye on hr.

Saturday 1st July
    Milan early morning 8km recovery at 6:00/km. Legs doing fine after yesterday's run. Drank (water) all round me after this.

Sunday 2nd July
    Ran to San Siro and out and back to the Cimitreo Monumental which I was aiming to visit later in the day. Incredible spot reflecting all the glory of past and present Milan.

8km Easy Run at 5:50/km.

Week 2 Summary
    Plan kms: 58kms
    Achieved 58.6 kms
    Had to break the MLR 16km into 2 sessions as I had not recovered from the 13km run.

Week 3 of DCM 2017

Monday 3rd July
    Got out after a hike into the late afternoon heat in Trento. Had discovered a very decent cycle/walk path that runs down from the Brenner Pass alongside the Adige River. It was to be an out and back run with the uphill into a warm breeze. First 4 km were fine and then the thirst began to kick in a little. Plenty of cyclists freewheeling downhill from the Brenner Pass heading for Verona and Venice. No such advantage on foot. Character building :rolleyes:

Run went well but water was needed for anything longer. Glitch with Strava on this as it measured the run short by distance but accurately by time. Garmin was spot in and each km was recorded accurately. Garmin appears to have bundled the first 5 km although I can see them in laps section online.

Tuesday 4th July
    Easy run of 10km absorbed into some exploratory climbing. Headed off early in the cool of the morning and before the sun had reached the valley floor. Ran along some tracks to the start of a Via Ferrata in a nearby village. Harness, helmet swop and on to ascend the 1000 foot route through a dry river gorge onto the hillside above. Beautiful route and ran off the top of the hill and back to the car. Absolutely and utterly drenched to the skin after this. Consumed all 3 litres of water in the 4 hours I was out.

Thursday 6th July
    Pre breakfast 13km run with 6kms at LT. Back to the river for this. Managed to get 5 kms at LT and had to call it a day but at least I managed to get all the mileage done.

13kms at 5:28/km and hr 148.

Friday 7th July
    Another pre brekkie recovery run through historic Trento. Enjoyed the run and met plenty of other runners: All Female :eek:

6.7kms at 6:13/km and hr 134.

Saturday 8th July
    LSR Day and temps expected to be above 30C by 9am. Set the body alarm for 6.30am and was out the door before 7 am. Brought along 2 litres of water and stashed it about 2 kms along the route by the river behind a bench.Idea was to run loops of 4-5 kms in either direction and re-hydrate at the bench each time. After first loop I arrived back at the bench to discover that someone had pinched (tidied up) by water bottle :confused:

Had found a tap and headed back to it, taking a chance that the water would be ok as it was right beside a public path and cycle way. It saved the day and I got to take on water and drench my head every 20 minutes. Oh and all I met was Auld Fellas running before the first female arrived shortly after 8.30am.

Only other incident was I decided to do a loop on the other side of the river on a much quieter path in the shade of the trees near the end of the run. Came around a corner to face a 2-3 metre snake stretched the whole width of the path. He saw me first and had stopped and we started a stand-off about 20 feet apart. The snake started to lift its head and curl its body and not being a bleeding snake charmerI assumed it was preparing to strike. I backed off 2-3 steps and suddenly the snake turned to re-enter the ditch at lightening speed. Enquiries revealed that it was probably a common viper!!!!! Wasn't sure if my heart was racing or stopped :eek:

23 kms at 5:58/km and hr 141 (snake and all).

Week 3 of DCM 2017
    Plan kms 64
    Actual 68.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Very jealous of your hiking and Via Ferrata exploits Denis .... not so jealous of your snake encounters :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Snakes....ah hear now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Neady83 wrote: »
    Very jealous of your hiking and Via Ferrata exploits Denis .... not so jealous of your snake encounters :O

If a scary snake encounter involving Tang a while back :)

Nice going Denis

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If a scary snake encounter involving Tang a while back :)

Nice going Denis

TbL

If your talking about your own, it was more like a maggot encounter!!! Leave the smut to your own log.

Advertisement