Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow Denis, great block of training behind you. Go get that PB, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Run well on Sunday - best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best Tomorrow Denis! Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The very best of luck tomorrow Denis. You've a cracking training block behind you, make it count tomorrow and enjoy the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hope you've a great run, your training certainly deserves one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Bestof luck D see you out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Good luck today Denis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

DCM 2017 Report

Had started a longer report and have decided to keep it simple for now. DCM training went quite well but I felt that I ran out of steam during Mid August to mid September. Despite that I kept going but just ran the FD and DCM HM fairly comfortable to take a couple of minutes off very soft pbs. In the circumstances, I thought that the running and personal space was just too important to lose so I backed off anything too competitive. However, I gave the P&D Plan a fairly honest go and stuck to the paces and sessions very well. Always I harboured a real belief that I could still manage to sneak inside 3:40:00 on the big day.

The BIG DAY:
    Well it arrived, as it does, and I landed into town feeling fine as the ITB had responded to treatment and I had no other niggles to complain about. Had decided to run in Wave 1, at the very very back, rather than with the 3:40 pacers in Wave 2 so that I could run my own race without any clamour or fuss. There was always space around me and the water stations were not crowded.

Passed AM on her supporters bike for the first of 50 sightings that day:D. By the time I arrived in Castleknock I could feel some stiffness in the quads as though they had worked a little harder than I intended. It was warm and I was taking full advantage of water on each stop holding on to the bottle to ease what I needed into me. Still on target heading out of the Park and up through Kilmainham where I had now settled into a nice rhythm surrounded by the Wave 1 3:40 faithful.The ould body had not been the best for the 2 weeks before DCM - throat, ears etc and the appetite was a little off (very unusual for me). Had taken my first gel through the park and it just felt like it was stuck there.

Through the halfway mark in 1:50:04. Respectable and on time but I could feel the effort even though I had very comfortably run a far harder Race Series HM in 1:42 a few weeks earlier. It was a warning but I was convinced that with the turn at Walkinstown I would be fine. Second gel onboard and it tasted awful. Felt like retching. Onwards and upwards and actually ran a decent few more kms to bring me to 30 kms in 2:37:12. However I was having doubts and was kind of shocked to be honest as I had not set myself the very hardest of targets. Decided to calm myself down and forget about the watch for the next three kms into Milltown and just see how I was feeling then. I was happy to back off a little and keep the main prize ( A PB) in sight running about target +10 secs a km.

Things were tough now and I was swearing that this was my last marathon. Mrs Mc, Kenny G&Co provided "their wall of support" before the hills. Sweet music. Still it kept me going and although I leaked another 90 seconds on Clonskeagh and Roebuck I just kept pushing along doing as much as I could do. I had never imagined that it might come to this but I never doubted that I would finish and pb either. A part of me knew that something was up and that the body would not play ball with me today - a little ill or maybe too stressed and definitely very very emotional. There were tears and memories but plenty of resolve too.

Picked up the pace to save the day down Foster Ave and into Nutley Lane. Give away as little as you can to the course. A runner in front of me stopped suddenly and I braked, unable to skip to the side and the legs just seized up. I just kept moving, first a walk and then a canter balancing the body to shield the yielding muscles. Along Merrion Road I had to stop and try and stretch out the left calf before it came out of my shin. Nop was right there and just when help was needed. As calm as you like he just looked me in the eye sensing something was wrong and the quiet unhurried words of encouragement and support and I started to move again. Propelled along into the path of The Muppet closer to town who broke ranks from the crowd and leaned forward to make contact. The man who had run The Great North Run galvanised me into action and I don't think I stopped until I crossed the line.

During many runs in training I had visualised the Merrion Sq finish, falling out of the deep shadows of Mount Street into the light and finish of the triumphant arch of the Merrion Square Finish Line. I lost my sense of what I had imagined and I crossed the line unconsciously pushing the red button and moving to one side. I was very happy with the time (3:46:10) and a 8 minute pb but that did not occur to me at all. It was good just to stand there and relax and breathe.

Got to McGrattans asap and felt unwell pretty quickly. 4 undigested gels were freed. Hmmm that might provide some explanation for the odd run today. Family quickly arrived which also meant I missed so many from Boards who were just arriving. Did my best to say a few hello's and to congratulate everyone who had given it a bash today. I walked past the carnage of the finish a few hours later and only then could I even start to figure what had been going through my mind when I finished. That was it: I was there and I had tried and I was deeply satisfied. Yes, life can be very sore but it is wonderful to taste it. I did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulation Denis on a very fine performance and the PB. What a super race report...would love to read the longer version as you have such a great way with words.
    I can imagine that it was very emotional run for you on Sunday. Be very proud of a great run. Next one will be much easier!!;);)

Those gels have alot to answer for ,for a lot of people!!

Recover well and Congrats on the Pbs in every distance SO FAR this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic report, thanks for that. Brought a tear to my eye! You've had so much pain to deal with but, although you mention it, you never use it as an excuse.
    I'd love to read the long version too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey Denis, you managed to get the job done in difficult circumstances after an annus horibilis of the highest order, whatever about the short-term. Congratulations. I completely understand and respect your desire to hold on to the aspect of your running that's most important right now.

Would have liked to talk more in McGrattan's, but I took a bit of a spell myself and had to 'free' some undigested porter and sit down and be unsociable for a little while. An opportunity lost.

I was delighted that Anna and I happened to be passing the finish area as you approached the line. You looked like you'd been in a race, in a good way. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I think the simplicity of the report works very much in its favour. Lovely writing as always Denis. You really went through a lot on Sunday and still got a very decent PB. It was good seeing you in the pub. Recover well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I always enjoy reading your reports Denis, you put your heart and soul into them, always beautifully written and filled with emotion - another request for the longer one if you ever feel like it :). Well done on Sunday, what an achievement! Enjoy some rest and I look forward to catching up at RTL, don't forget your camera :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff Denis and massive well done on another PB. Throughly deserved after great block of training, enjoy the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah Denis, congratulations. I see you're even back out running so fair play to you.

I have just read your last few weeks of training. You did incredibly well on the course as it was much tougher than training.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Recover well and congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done Denis on a great result and really glad you enjoyed the day. Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Most splendid work, sir!

It will be hard keeping up with you during Run The Line. :) Looking forward to catching up (during the first few hundred meters at least!)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Well done Denis, nice to meet you again in McGrattans after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Congrats and well done D.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done on the PB and on pushing through those last miles. Lovely report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Denis, congrats on a hard earned but well deserved PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations Denis. Tough day after a really tough year , you're an inspiration .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report Denis and well done on the pb. There is/was never a doubt that you had the mettle for the job after the past year. Look forward to catching you again next time I am up that way for a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Well done Denis. I was out supporting on Sunday and you were in my thoughts out there, I think we probably just missed you on Roebuck Rd because we saw the 3:40 pacers from wave 2 passing when we arrived on station.

How you’ve approached your running this year, from reading your log and our wee morning chat a while back, your openness, honesty, dignity and determination is nothing short of inspirational.

Nobody out there on Sunday deserved that moment of quiet satisfaction more than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done, Dennis on a great race. Solid effort and a well earned pb. Good to see you finish on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Excellent report - thats a fantastic PB. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Denis, it seems trite to say well done on the PB... but I'm in awe of your endurance and discipline in many ways. Lovely report as always... See you in the hills on the 25th, if not on flatter ground before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

What a great performance Denis so deserved after all your hard work an emotional day for you too I’m sure. Great to catch up in Mc grattans well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Many thanks folks for the kind words and encouragement. Really appreciated. Have not committed to anything yet for the medium term but I am going to give Race the Line a go on the 25th of November. Really looking forward to lining out for this as it is something new, which will be a welcome change. Lung bursting hills, exposure to real weather, getting lost and ever changing terrain - super. Will just keep a close eye on the recovery process, which is slow enough, but I have no major niggles to talk about.

Run safe, but do run!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi Denis, I'll be following this log with interest since the old man filled me in :)

Advertisement