Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hi Denis, I'll be following this log with interest since the old man filled me in :)

Cheers. He was on the ball with the name and I had remembered the additional 46. Seems as though we got around DCM side by side :). Have you started a log?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

denis b wrote: »
    Cheers. He was on the ball with the name and I had remembered the additional 46. Seems as though we got around DCM side by side :). Have you started a log?

Yes I started one yesterday. It's called Once in a Lifetime. The 46 should be deleted as I don't have a time machine to get back to that age.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yes I started one yesterday. It's called Once in a Lifetime. The 46 should be deleted as I don't have a time machine to get back to that age.

Found it. Epic introduction. Will be following the journey.

Post DCM Recovery for November

Managed to get a few very easy recovery runs in since DCM but there was an interruption with the left ankle. Recovered now and have started work on some serious S+C for the first time in several years. Nice and easy does it but joined a local gym as my light weights and bench are not up to what is required. Will be climbing again this winter after a significant break but fully intend to keep up my running schedule and there is a very considerable overlap in training requirements anyway. My thinking is that it will keep things fresh and any loss in training miles, from irregular climbing trips, will be compensated for by a fitter and stronger self. Lets see.

Post DCM - a few days rest and very broken sleep. Notably dehydrated and waking at night to drink water frequently. ITB survived and remains trouble free.

Thurs 2nd Nov
    6.3km Recovery Run at 5:54/km and included some running on grass in local park.

Sat 4th Nov
    5.4 kms Recovery Run at a faster pace 5:31/km.

Mon 6th Nov
    8.6 Recovery Pace Run at 6:28/km including a few kms in local park on grass to help the legs for a while. While the legs feel ok the body is reeling. Very tired and sleeping poorly again. Think part of it is post DCM blues, but am in good form.

Wed 8th Nov
    Back to Albert College for another much easier Recovery Pace Run at 6:01/km. Felt a sharp pain on the top of my left ankle. Slowed down hoping to run it off. Hobbled and then managed to get going again as it calmed down. However it flared again, post run, so between that and a tired body I decided to take the rest of the week off running.

Mon 13th Nov
    Decided to try the ankle out and everything went well. Pretty sure that it was not caused by running per se. This was a 10km Recovery Pace Run at 6:21 out to the coast to get a few kms on grass once again. For the same effort on the return run I noticed the hR climbing steadily so slowed down as much as possible.

Tuesday 14th Nov
    Another 10km Recovery Paced Run and normal service resuming with all systems. HR data was very low (unreliably so). Nice run at 6:01/km. Still need to keep hydrated.

So far so good. Run the LIne is 10 days away and I will be ready for it. 26kms over the Dublin Hills and very much looking forward to it. Think it will be a touring and experience mission as I have not run in the hills for quite some time. New Trail Runners (Salomon Speedcross 4) arrived so will get out in them tomorrow and again at the weekend. Will be including some hill running going forward.

Still no firm medium term plans yet but reading and mulling over options. My initial reaction after DCM was to go at another marathon again in the Spring. Looked at EOI Lusk in Feb and Manchester in April. Am undecided yet but feel that I should try and capitalise on the marathon training. Another part of me feels that I should just let that all go and build afresh. Either way I will keep up the weekend long run and MLR mid week and will probably look at Pfitz multi distance plan but try and experiment by swapping out odd sessions to keep things fresh. Will be giving S+C a real go and will target another 5kg loss (that will be 20kgs in total since I started running in 2014).

Friday 15th Nov

On a work trip and brought the running gear for the way home. Was still close to zero and headed off with a t-shirt knowing that I would warm up quickly. Had invested in a pair of trail shoes during the week (1) for the forthcoming Run the Line and, (2) to encourage a little bit more variety in my running.

Picked out the Castlemorris Forest Park in low hill country (Walsh Mountains) in South Kilkenny, just 5 mins off the motorway. Part of an estate created from forfeited (Cromwellian) lands which was taken over by the Land Commission in 1924. The house was finally demolished in the late 1970's but the grounds are managed as part of a Coillte Forest. 3 well marked trails exist so I chose the Pheasant Loop in what is also a Game Sanctuary within the mixed woodlands. Head off uphill with a mental picture of the route from the provided map. A 300 foot climb over 2 kms brought me through some open woodland and on to a canopied trail before hitting a small road which bisected the forest. I had intended taking it easy enough but the further I ran, the faster I ran. Time out for a quick photo or two, another promise to myself going forward, and then a long downhill section through the woods on a great wide open trail. What was once a privilege for so few is now available to all. Faster and faster as the path narrowed for the last km close to the ancient Round Tower and back down past the old avenue to the Grand House and on to the front gates.

Well the new shoes worked out great. No hesitancy on the trails and the foot bed felt perfect.

7 kms at 5:22 /km. Fastest km at 4:29/km and 160m of climbing. I will be back to do the other two trails again.

Saturday 18th Nov
    MLR Day - decided to incorporate the Poppintree Parkrun, at MP, into the run. Just curious about how the pace might feel. Numbers were good at Poppintree and probably got a little carried away over the last km but the pace felt like it should. By the time I got home I was tired. Its the first week getting some mileage back in after DCM.

18 kms at 5:28/km. Parkrun in 24:32 and overall hr of 146.

Couple of ideas are floating around my head during Recovery November. (1) May try an 8 Day schedule week for my next plan to give me an extra recovery day. (2) more variety needed. I am getting stale.

7 days to Run the Line. Red wine recovery tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going, D. That trail run sounds exhilarating.

Recovery November continues. Joined a local gym last week and after some research I hatched a S&C Plan that will work for climbing/running. Did a "let's see" session to see if the reps, sets and weights were right for where I was at. Just short of needing assistance with putting the plates on the bars :o. Got to start somewhere so heading down at off peak times to have plenty of time and space to look around. Spotted by very helpful staff who guided me with anything I was unsure about. Session went well and I now know what I am at.

Monday 20th Nov
    Back down the country early Monday morning and once again I threw the trail gear in the boot, just in case. Just in case turned out to be Glansheskin Wood, just outside Kilworth and 5 mins off the motorway in North Cork. Arrived at lunchtime and had the wooded glens to myself. The wood reaches deep into the Kilworth Hills and is vast. So much so that I had a look at a map a few times to try and get bearings. Opted to follow the Douglas River to a switchback and then follow a tributary to some point where I might be able to cross it. I was aiming for 8-10km at a handier pace than last week.

A typical early winter day, misty and gloomy but it was positively warm. Passed a series of small colourfully painted crosses with names on that obviously were a local initiative commemorating loved ones lost. Very touching. On I plodded winding my way uphill and always within sight and sound of the flowing Douglas River. Soon I came across a recently fallen tree which blocked the path. Up and over, and then another and another. Storm Opehia, no doubt.

Rounded a hill to follow the tributary and the path cleared. Was very comfortable and the narrower track demanded attention as it was flooding in places. Knew I was close to where I needed to cross the river and spotted the path on the far side. Found a few decent, but wet, rocks to balance and clamber across. A wetting at this stage would be nice to avoid. A jump from the last rock landed me safely on the other river bank and off I ran trying to figure if the path was going roughly in the right direction. It did.

Came to a high road/low road option and headed on up over steep ground that quickly led to a narrow trail and 2m high gorse. Was not worth being torn apart and pace had dropped so I doubled back on myself to join a trail back towards the car. Pace quickened on the return downhill run and noticed that the legs had had quite enough for today, just as the car came into view.

I will definitely be back in better weather with a rucksack as I imagine that it would be easy to do a few 25kms loops in these extensive woods. I do know that the Irish Army use them for larger operations and a quick google found an interesting story "Operation Dark Nights". Could only happen in the rebel county :).

9kms at 6:17/km.

Tuesday 21st Nov

5km at 6:00/km Recovery Run and full S&C Session at the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

The trail runs sound idyllic D. Enjoy every minute of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All sounds very enjoyable Denis, are we going to have to fit you with a GPS tracker though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

denis b wrote: »
    I do know that the Irish Army use them for larger operations and a quick google found an interesting story "Operation Dark Nights". Could only happen in the rebel county :).

I had to look at the header on that link several times to ensure it wasn't Waterford Whispers.... I'm assuming the FLA are not actually real and this was some sort of training exercise?!!!

Fair play for venturing into the unknown Denis, sounds like it was very enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Dunno - Denis is planning another trip down there. Probably a secret Fantasian sympathiser himself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Your putting me to shame there D - just up the road from and I've never even been there for a walk. I'll have to get myself a pair of trail runners and go exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck at RTL D, your a mountain goat at heart so you'll be well at home, run well & enjoy it.

Recovery November continues

24th Nov
    Pre RTL session so decided to take it handy enough on the legs with this run and gym session. 6 km warmup and cooldown and 2 sets session in gym.

5:45/km. Have added some additional abs work to make for a more complete session.

25th November
    RTL dawned and it was a bright and crisp morning heading to Glencullen in the company of Neady, Nop and AGYR. Last minute decision on what to wear as it was baltic standing around in a cold breeze. Went for the tights, windbreaker, hat and gloves option. Only dawned on me as we were starting that I was already thirsty despite the cold. Neady, Nop and myself headed out on the long course. I was happy to just use this as a learning experience, a sort of post DCM present to myself for all the miles of plodding. And here it was tested with every step chosen given the icy sections, hard ground and sometimes rocky nature of the trails. Absolutely loved this from the start. More of an adventure than a race to be honest as I was not overly familiar with where we were at times. Most sections were a pleasant surprise as the trails were generally excellent and a vast improvement from what they were 25 years ago. Yes, I have sadly neglected the Dublin Mountains in favour of The Mournes for many years.

The kms flew by but by the halfway point it was apparent that we were going to be out a little longer than planned. The early realisation helped and I grabbed a handful of pro-offered jellies from the DWMRT at every station and just eased along enjoying the route description by our guide - Nop. With 20kms done I was huffing and puffing heading back over the last of the 4 RTL climbs. Yep - not a chance that I could have gone any faster today. We encouraged Nop to slip the team leash and head off. Neady was cantering along using this as a post marathon run (previous weekend) and a pre ultra run (this weekend in Dorset). I didn't feel too guilty holding anybody back and we managed to jog the last 2 kms though the woods and back into Glencullen in reasonable shape.

We were met on the line by Murph, annapr and AGYR as they had already finished their own race and very shortly afterwards fbot, killerz and ferris tumble over the line. Have to say that the RTL event has a very special feel to it - very generous, capable and encouraging crew spread around the whole course. Hats off to them. A big thank you to Nop who encouraged me to have a go at this event earlier this year - spot on.

I found that tough on the day but it has inspired me to look at some similar event in the near future. The variety and adventure works for me at the moment. Not quite sure what is wrong yet but the body is not firing as well as it might. I am going to continue the rest of the year in recovery mode of sorts and it will give me time, much needed, to plan going forward. I am thinking towards trying to improve my medium range runs in particular (10 miles and HM) as well as improve my overall fitness - hence the S&C.

Monday 27th Nov
    7km Recovery run at 5:57/km. Quads can definitely feel the RTL effort. Today I move up an age classification. Will be making it count :).

Tuesday 28th Nov
    6kms Gym warmup and cooldown. Got my first session with 3 sets completed.

Thursday 30th Nov
    7km Easy run at 5:37/km and HR 141. First feel ok run in a while.

Friday 1st Dec
    Working in North Clare and South Galway and arrived early afternoon in Portumna for a forest trail run. Had not been feeling great that morning so binned the session and went for coffee. I think the S&C session on Tueday really forced some extra receovery.

Saturday 2nd Dec
    5km Easy Run at 5:25/km as warmup and cooldown for Gym. Pulled this back to 2 sets. Worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Glad you enjoyed rtl, it's a great day out. Belated happy birthday!

Happy birthday Denis. I take it we are rivals again so. :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Happy birthday Denis. I take it we are rivals again so. :)

Yep; it's head to head unless we get our diaries straightened out to avoid a scene :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Denis just please keep exploring all those trails around the country for us while you're getting back up to speed, with history lessons attached please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Belated happy birthday Denis, funny I've yet to meet anyone not happy going up an age category running wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Belated happy Birthday Denis.

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    Belated happy birthday Denis, funny I've yet to meet anyone not happy going up an age category running wise!

It's fun for a while, but it soon gets old. Literally. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Murph_D wrote: »
    It's fun for a while, but it soon gets old. Literally. :P

Haha very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Happy belated birthday Denis :) Really really enjoyed running RTL with you. Great to finally meet you and chat running and mountains. Glad you enjoyed your first trail run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Belated Happy Birthday Denis. Well done on Running The Line.

The RTL run really did stuff me. Body just has not been up to it recently so I have extended Recovery November into December and am prepared to do what I can do. I think that the S&C is probably taking a fair bit of available energy, but that is fine, as I want to progress in the longer term.

Monday 4th Dec
    Easy run of 10.3km at 5:30/km and hr at 139. Slept very well last night and it showed today.

Wednesday 6th Dec
    Knew I would be passing Lough Key on a return journey from the North West so I brought the washed (post RTL) Speedcross 4's with me. I had camped by Lough Keel in the early '80's, a sort of poor mans Lough Key. Well, the camping was free there and there were no restrictions as long as you kept out of view of the landowner. A beautiful week of sunshine and hillwalking in the surrounding areas. I don't think we were much of a threat!!!.

Arrived just after lunch without a plan to skies that looked as though they couldn't possibly reach down any lower. I wasn't familiar with the terrain and headed from the south east corner into some forest. Came to a junction and met another runner out with two dogs, on leash, running at a fair pace. We stopped and chatted, as you do, and he recommended a particular loop which I tried to commit to memory. Toddled off and found the lake, with island and ivy clad castle which we had also camped on, in jig time. Well there is 500 odd acres of the original 26,000 acres left and there is plenty of choice of trails. I decided to stay as close to the waters edge as possible on good trails and head out to Drummans Island before taking in a large loop of forest to the west and south before cutting back across the estate to the start.

I settled on a 10 km trail run and passed the best of beeches, norwegian spruce and west coast cedars. Absolutely stunning and eerily quiet. Got a hell of a fright, lost deep in thought, from a reedbank on the right at the water's edge. A pair of Jay's - bright blue stripe flashing - disagreeing over something beyond me!!! Onwards I trod, ever drawn into the run and space allowable in an empty forest. Beech mast crunching underfoot, snatches of lake through cleared rhododendron and all the colours of early winter to enjoy in peace. The pace was easyish, just enough to make the trail runners necessary on the slippery forest floor. Visited the Bog Garden but backtracked as the wooden railways sleepers were at odds with the lugs on the runners.

I had spotted some extra trails on a map but it would have brought me in the wrong direction for my self declared 10 km trail run today. Nice to leave something for my next visit.

10 kms at 5:44/km and felt really good after this. So much to see and sense.

Thursday 7th December

Gym day and a speedy 5 km warmup & cooldown at 5:11/km helped out nicely. Gym is working out well. I can feel gains and will push towards 3 sessions a week before Christmas.

A couple of enforced recovery days with work etc.

Monday 11th Dec
    4.4 kms at Recovery Pace. Turned back for home early. Unusual for me but that was where the heart was at that moment.

Tuesday 12th Dec
    Heading to the gym but decided I would add a few extra kms to make up for yesterday. 8.5kms at 5:43 recovery Pace. Great overall session and have increased the weights on several exercises. Significant imbalance with right quad!!!! This is the quad that I had ITB issues with for the DCM marathon preparation.

Thurs 14th Dec
    Strava recorded "Bracing run to remember", and that is what it was. I enjoyed the run and at 13kms it was one of the longer recent runs completed at 5:26/km with one stop for my hello's. Cleared the head nicely and I straightened my back, tilted my hips out a half inch, and bent my elbows as previously chided by a cheeky Ronan.

Friday 15th December
    No run but well worth an entry to record my thanks, and those of the family, to a great set of people here who made their mark today in the quietest and most sincere way possible. It was an extension of a year of support. Thank you.

Saturday 16th Dec
    Surprise run today and just managed to toe the parkrun line in Fairview in time. Now, what to do. Swapped my watch from one arm to the other as the "go" sounded and walked fast to catch up. Decided in an instant to run 5 kms at DCM'ish pace. That race has not settled with me yet, obviously. Small crowd but fell in with a group of visitors and another chap who was looking to pb. Have to say that I particularly like the Fairview course - the grass section under the trees, the chicane around the grass mound and trees, the canopy section back down to the river, the sun reflection (blinding) section along the Tolka, the small rise x3 and the quick downhill path off the top of the course. The 110 degree turn and the strobe effect fence - hmmmm, well I suppose you can't have it all your own way.

Parkrun at 25:40 - 10 secs faster than planned and another 2 km to cooldown. Nice mornings work.

Monday 18th Dec
    Headed out on a cold and damp morning and deliberately picked up the pace on the warmup. Finished a nice 10.3 kms at a very brisk Easy Pace (5:19/km) but HR 151 so definitely overcooked this. Had 6x100 m strides thrown in for good measure. Yep. feeling as though I will be picking things up a gear or two shortly.

Got carried away earlier tidying up this log and closing 2017 before I lost the contents...abbreviated version as follows:

Tues 19th Dec
    Long way to the gym with 8.5 kms at 5:57/km and a very decent S&C session

Thurs 21st Dec
    Recovery Run of 11.1 kms with little sleep. Ran to and over the Wooden Bridge to Bull Island before first light. Cold sweat, fatigued and lost. Stopped twice coming and going. Went home and got into bed and slept fitfully for 2 hours.

Sat 23rd Dec
    Headed to St. Annes Parkrun for a steady (22:18) run in great Boards Company. Lots there and left very very happy to have got there.

Sun 24th Dec
    Gym run of 5.3 kms and anothe decent S&C session.

2 super XMas hikes which has always been an important part of my xmas. Great to have the company on the Cooleys and the Dublin Mountains. Easy but memorable days.

Fri 29th Dec
    Easy 7kms (5:30/km) and S&C session. Will be starting some supervised S&C in the New Year.

Sat 30th Dec
    Headed to Parkrun again and aimed for 5kms at MP. Picked up pace over last 2 kms to record 24:32. Comfortable enough. Starting to plan for next year and chatted to a few boardsies to pick up some ideas.

Year wrap up to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Happy New Year Denis :)

I'm just putting this here in case you're still at the planning stages of 2018 :)

Cheers S. Have the Maurice Mullins Half in view since XMas. Looking forward to another trot across the hills. It suits the programme that seems to have finally emerged!!!

Very quick wrap up on 2017

Main aim for the year was to increase mileage and have a go at pb's over 5km, 10km, 10 Mile, HM and Marathon. Job done. Nothing too dramatic and 10 mile to Marathon are there for the taking again.

5 Kms: 20:32 (2016) 20:32 (2017) Parkrun Poppintree - achieved as a warm up run for 10 km Racing. Only equals previous years chipped Jingle Bells but at least it was not a downhill run :):).

10 Kms: 44:49 (2016) 43:40 (2017) St. Annes Summer Race Series - cannot confirm time on official results this evening. Tough race but ran it all out as hard as I could.

10 Miles: 1:18:01 (2015) 1:16:03 (2017) Frank Duffy Warm day and ran hard but did not race it.

HM: 1:45:11 (2015). Ran the SSE HM but have just noticed a very significant discrepancy with the official time. The official finish time and my Strava are within 3 secs of each other but the official chip time is 3.5 mins slower. Cannot figure that one out as I had run a very strong race finishing fairly comfortable and without racing it out. DCM was the number one goal. Not going to worry about this and will use it going forward as a yardstick only.

Marathon: 3:54:10 (2015) 3:46:10 (2017) DCM.

Gradual improvements made. Training was quite poor from Sept - Dec but still managed to roll in with 2,624 kms over the year and added in some very satisfying trail running. The training caught up with me in late summer. General fatigue and poor sleep did not help and I am battling with hydration far too often. On the upside - I did not give up and chipped away.

Aim to train for 10 mile to HM for the first several months of the year but I will do some shorter races on the fly. More fun is required along with some smarter training. Am well advanced with S&C, which I committed to last November getting in 2 decent sessions a week. Its a start and will be getting better guidance next week.

First off "A Happy New Year to one and all".

A bit of a scrappy start to this year so far with a sore throat/sinus looking to erupt on a on/off basis. Have managed it and just rested rather than aggravate anything and at least the chest has stayed clear. Quick catch up:

Monday Jan 1
    11kms GA with 6x12 secs hils and 6x100m strides. HR 147. Good session but felt some pain in top of left quad. Subsequent physio visit established cause: Hip Flexor issue from murderously tight quads. Lots of exercises which I have kept up. Has been lingering for a while and funnily enough is ok to run on but makes it very difficult to walk on afterwards. 2 weeks on and the real sharpness (pain) has subsided.

Wed Jan 3
    14.5kms Endurance Run with S&C to finish.

Run went well. Dropped the car off with the mechanic and rediscovered the lanes and alleyways of Clontarf to avoid the storm. Got fed up at some stage and headed out to Fairview, East Wall and along the canal to Phibsboro before heading to the gym. Good session and fairly wiped out.

Sunday 7th Jan
    7km Recovery Run at 5:46/km and hr 129. Predictable hindsight "wipe out" after pushing it earlier in the week. Moods, body and emotions are taking a pummelling. Just out for an easy run and will build a little slower this time.

Monday 8th Jan
    Easy 10kms at 5:42/km. Was fairly spent after this but I did manage the pace well and went by feel only. Just looked at watch at finish.

Tuesday 9th January
    Lads doing exams so the house was buzzing early. Got out the door on MLR 13.8kms and stopped off at the gym on the way home. Cream crackered again. Was on my mind that it would be difficult to get time later in the week to run as OH very significant birthday needed attention!!!!.

Thursday 11th Jan
    First proper session since DCM 2017. LT time with 2x12 mins at 4:35/km pace. 11kms in total with wup and cd. First leg went fine but worked pretty hard for last 2 minutes. Second leg required some determination with 5 mins to go. Strange as I had run 2 parkruns faster than this in very recent weeks. Probably a good indication that the body is challenged at the moment.

Sunday 14th Jan
    Got out for 10.2 kms at LR pace in th elate afternoon to salvage a reasonably good week. Entered the Raheny 5. Not much sense in making plans if I don't execute them so this race fulfils the "races on the fly". Going to aim for a pb!!

Monday 15th Jan
    11kms GA which ended up as a gentle tempo run in the end. Ran by feel and things are improving. Quads are making a gradual improvement but am also working on calves which I think have started to take the strain. Physio again this Friday.

Tuesday 16th Jan
    Endurance Run of 13 kms. First 5 kms were uphill and against a strong early morning cold wind so probably ran parts of this too fast - marginal. Better pacing management for the rest of the run as I remembered what I was doing. Good to notice the mental engagement and I have a feeling that I am turning the mojo corner.

Wednesday 17th Jan
    Can you write up a session that you haven't done yet!!!. Off out the door for S&C and lots of stretching.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 17th Jan
    Full S&C with 4 kms wup and cd. Right quad and ITB way too tight. Can feel the tension in the knee.

Thursday 18th Jan
    Got 40 mins swimming and have started some aqua work to assist stretching as well. Front crawl coming along nice for the summer hols and I should be able to get out of the deep end (with dignity) without using the steps :D.

Friday 19th Jan
    Shadowing P&D 10 mile programme on Week 2 but had to swap out the LT session as I am heading hill walking tomorrow on a rest day. Decided on a 7 km Tempo (5:45, 5:39, 5:47 (hill) 5:22 (hill), 4:40, 4:30 and 4:59. Very happy with the session. Priority for Raheny is a "Good Showing". Have had to manage the comeback but am beginning to feel improvement in the odd session.

Saturday 20th January
    Out on the hills around Glendalough. Diverted to the old mines in Glendasan to try and find the old adits. Found one particularly decent entrance above old spoil heaps and identified some minerals. Was leaving when someone called out by name from a small group nearby. Had not met Eamon since leaving Uni 29 years ago. Small world and as it was in the late 80's, ya qualified and ya emigrated.

Sunday 21st January
    Legs were a tad tired so I wasn't too upset to see the brutal rain on Sunday morning. Got out the books instead and spent the morning studying and watching the Met Rainfall Radar. Window of opportunity and out the door before I even think about a run.

17kms (LSR) along by the coast and back through Kilbarrack, Coolock and back into town. First 10 kms along by the coast were not pretty with the wind on my back. Felt awful - tired, heavy and warm. Strange thing is that I knew things would change heading uphill and into the wind on the Kilbarrack Road. Times per km improved by about 20 secs and felt much more comfortable. Reined in back in for the last 2 kms.

10 mile to HM training is now 3 weeks old. Will be interesting to see where I am at this time next week. Raheny will help. It is early days yet.

Followed The Spine Race over the last week. Riveting. Going to enter the Maurice Mullins Half (hill run).

Enjoy your running/rehab folks.

Advertisement