Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ooh the Maurice Mullins Half - that will be awesome ! I did it years ago when it was known as the Wicklow Way Trail and was approx 22k. It's about 25K now I think ? Don't delay entering as it always sells out quickly. It's a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ooh the Maurice Mullins Half - that will be awesome ! I did it years ago when it was known as the Wicklow Way Trail and was approx 22k. It's about 25K now I think ? Don't delay entering as it always sells out quickly. It's a great event.

Cheers G. Seems like it is already sold out. Am new to this and its obviously popular. Gives me an extra month for Ballyhoura HM. Silver lining etc.

denis b wrote: »
    Cheers G. Seems like it is already sold out. Am new to this and its obviously popular. Gives me an extra month for Ballyhoura HM. Silver lining etc.

Entry not open yet afaik ! Keep an eye out here : https://www.imra.ie/events/forum/id/1577/

Entry not open yet afaik ! Keep an eye out here : https://www.imra.ie/events/forum/id/1577/

Wow. Thanks for that as under Event description for the 2018 series on the IMRA Race List Page it says:

ONLINE ENTRIES ONLY FOR THIS RACE. NO REGISTRATIONS ON THE DAY.
    ENTRIES NOW CLOSED.

Will join IMRA and keep more up to date!!!! The message board, which you pointed out, is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Wow. Thanks for that as under Event description for the 2018 series on the IMRA Race List Page it says:

ONLINE ENTRIES ONLY FOR THIS RACE. NO REGISTRATIONS ON THE DAY.
    ENTRIES NOW CLOSED.

Will join IMRA and keep more up to date!!!! The message board, which you pointed out, is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I'd say they just copied last year's event description without editing it. I'd expect they'll give a heads up on the forum before entry opens so deffo check in on a regular basis. I'm sure someone on the IMRA 2018 thread might be in the know as to when the event usually opens for registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in Raheny tomorrow Denis, have a great race. Run well.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck in Raheny tomorrow Denis, have a great race. Run well.

Thanks B. Unfortunately it will be a no show from me for Raheny. The throat/sinus saga continues and flared up again during the week. Tried a 7km run at recovery pace yesterday and felt sooooo tired. No point in aggravating things and am using this week to catch up on sleep and put as much order into my life to aid recovery as I can.

In good form and the goal for the first part of the year is 10 milers/HM's.

Tuesday 23 Jan
    9km Easy including 2 sets of 4x100m strides with jog recovery. This run typifies my lack of form in Dec/Jan. Happy to run but it just does not seem to be agreeing with me at the moment. I got three goodish weeks in early Jan but my health always felt it was on a knife edge. Felt as though I was making gentle progress but any harder sessions just seemed to knock me backwards. Sinus/throat would erupt in mini cycle as though in response to the challenge of harder sessions. Decided to take some time out for a few days.

26th January
    Got in a 7km Recovery Pace Run to see if it was possible to run in Raheny 5 Miler. No such luck. Enjoyed the run around D4 all the same but the body did not react well to this run. Have started to increase water intake in the early part of the day. Decided to stand back again from running until I got some decent rest and recovery.

Month to Date: 162kms
    Year to Date 162kms

Not the best start to the year but even writing these figures down helps. Still hope to add 350 kms to last years total and break 3,000 kms this year.

Friday 2nd Feb
    Easy 7km at 5:39/km. Run was fine and felt ok afterwards. A busy weekend ahead so knew that Friday for a test run was about the height of it.

Monday 5th Feb
    Last year's marathon shorts are a bit of a squeeze to get into :rolleyes:. Out the door nice and early before he threatened snow. Cold but good to be out on the feet. Left the HRM at home and ran at a comfortable pace which ended up being quite a bit faster than I thought . Breathing was super and legs felt alive.

Nearly afraid that I will jinx myself, but a tentative start is turning into a pretty nice week - in all respects. First off my mojo has switched on again. Getting out, stretching, core work and staying in touch with Boards and Strava helped to maintain some form over the last 3 weeks.

Tuesday 6th Feb
    10.3 kms easy Progression Run (6:00/m to 5:25/km). Nice and handy and the pace picked up over the course of the run. Felt like I was a runner again. Started wearing a buff recently to protect the neck from the cold and hopefully stabilise the sinus/throat. I am hopeful. Just remembered that I wore something similar for hill walking back in the early '80s (made of Nylon) for the very same reason. Think it ended up being melted when it got too close to a fire when camping!!

Thursday 8th Feb
    Test Day: Decided to gently ramp things up a little with an improvised session. Legs were feeling particularly good. Another progression run, this time 12 kms, from 5:30's/km to 5:00/km. I was hitting DCM '17 MP towards the end and thought hmmmmm "another 40 km at this pace". Well not this month. But progress is recognised and I felt super after this run.

There are a few more in the throes of recovery at the moment. Stick with it folks. Every little bit helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Good to see you back. The buffs are great, I wear mine all the time in this weather even if I'm just now shorts and the shirt. Just stay away from fires!

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    Good to see you back. The buffs are great, I wear mine all the time in this weather even if I'm just now shorts and the shirt. Just stay away from fires!

+1 to the Buff ! I have a few and they're so handy and versatile - headband, emergency bobbin, neck warmer....endless possibilities :D.

Glad to hear your mojo is back, D!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to the Buff ! I have a few and they're so handy and versatile - headband, emergency bobbin, neck warmer....endless possibilities :D.

Glad to hear your mojo is back, D!

Plus you can take it off & wear on your wrist if you get too warm. I have 4, there’s always one in the wash.

Happy running D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

+2 to the buff! I've had similar sinus issues all winter and I found the buff very helpful, especially in the cold. I've definitely caught a big or two, which hasn't helped and it took a while for the energy levels to come back to normal. Roll on the spring/summer!

Sat 10th Feb
    LR: 16kms at 5:52/km
    Headed out the door knowing the distance I had to run. It was early morning and when I got to the first left or right I had my mind made up. Head out along the Tolka and back to town by the Canal. Have not run the route in a few months. It is slightly uphill and against the wind on the way out but the body felt good and the kms just slipped away. Sometimes I wonder should I be concentrating a little more on what I am doing when running but the LR has always been a mind drifting experience without boundaries. I let it be.

Not a soul out and about and then I notice the most perfectly white crocus I have ever seen along by the Tolka. Pretty well stopped me in my tracks....and no camera. Got to start taking a camera on these longer runs. So much to see. Recorded 13 Moorhens on my strava, all feeding in the grass at various spots along the tolka and canal. Climbed up out of the valley at Ashtown and headed up to the canal and railway before turning back into town with the wind on my back. Ohhhh so easy. Noticed several couples out along the canal, just 8am, and then saw why!!!! A queue, a queue to see a showhouse. Best of luck to them.

By around 11 kms the left hammer was feeling a little tight and I had got mad thirsty. Some effort was now required and I just suddenly got tired for a few kms. Passed under Broome Bridge and noticed the tablet commemorating the eureka moment. A little more research at home filled in the picture, and all in a run when I might just as easily be still in bed.

Finished out the canal and noticed that all the tents, and they didn't erect themselves, were gone. Where to?

47.3 kms for the comeback week. Sinus is generally improving. Change of work routine approaching next week so will have the opportunity to introduce stretching sessions as well as S&C.

Monday 12th Feb
    Early work start had me home and out along the seafront before dinner. Easy 10kms at 5.52/km with return against the wind which perversely improved form and speed. The baths will be open for Easter????

Tuesday 13th Feb
    12 kms MLR (5:40's to 5:10's/km) Out early morning and felt a great sense of improvement. Something pulling in the left adductor but it eased after 2 kms. Reined things in over the last 3kms and felt much more comfortable at the faster end of the the prescribed range. Its great to see so many kids out cycling and scootering to school. Am fairly sure that it is a significant reversal in recent years.

Enjoy what you do folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Your account of your runs are a joy to read, I wish I had seen that crocus. You remind us all to lift our heads and look around us every once in a while :)

Glad to see you recovering, this weather seems to have people suffering from all sorts.

Thursday 15th Feb
    LT Day - a day , or night of reckoning. Out after dark at the first opportunity I had all day. Route choice was for warmup out towards UCD from town and start the LT after Donnybrook Bus garage where there would be few breaks in the run. Session was for 11km with 2x12 mins LT at 4:39/km pace. A cold night, which was fine and I neutralised the wind (cross my path) with my route choice. Could not see the watch with the poor light so had to go by feel. Enjoyed it, trying to remember what this sort of pace should feel like. Out by 11 secs per km on the first run and inside by 1 second on the second attempt. Really enjoyed this and the body knew all about the effort afterwards. I did it and felt good on the cooldown.

Friday 16th Feb
    S&C and super stretch session. Coming along nicely.

Sat 17th Feb
    17.7kms LR which should have been 17km. Could hardly stop a click from home. First run this year out from town to Sandymount and back to the South Wall to be overtaken by plenty of parkrunners sucking in the cold winter air at the nature reserve. This was a tough run. Several of my LR's have felt very poor since DCM 17. Often feel light headed, tired and a bit sensitive to light. Think it is partly psychological and partly to do with the effect of the intense bright morning sun. Usually hits me around 3 kms and improves after another 3 kms. Normally I ease off a little and try and run in some shaded area. 5:55/km from 6 to 5:40/km.

Sun 18th Feb/B]
    Cross training. Leading on the climbing wall. Good session.

Monday 19th Feb
    11kms GA with 6x12 secs hills and 6x100m strides
    Session went fine and nothing remarkable with GA from 6:00/km to 5:20/km as body warmed up.

Tues 20th Feb
    13.3 kms MLR. Great session and included a few kms of moderate hills. Its a start for Maurice Mullins Half Ultra. Ran this as a progressive endurance run from 5:50's to 5:10/km. Faster I ran the better I felt. Still being mindful of the need to stick with the training zones so reined it where necessary

Fri 23rd Feb
    LT (16 and 12 mins at 4:29 to 4:35/km pace). Ran 13 km incl wup and cd. Chose Fairview Park Loop to ensure that I had no natural wind/gradient advantage. Have to keep myself honest. Have to hit the paces and put the HR Strap on as well. Ran hard and ran well. Loved the feeling of the feet lightly touching the ground and powering away. Well thats what it felt like and it is still with me. Something positive to carry and bank away for the last few 100 metres of a race in the future. Had to dig hard for the last 3 minutes of the second run which involved negotiating a 180 degree turn and standing start. Good practice and found it easy enough to tune into the pacing. Legs recovered well on the 2 kms cooldown.

Noticed the hR readings afterwards: for the last 300m of the first run and last 900 m of the second run I was operating close to 97% of MHR. Too much methinks. Any advice folks? Ran the first LT 16ins at about 4:31/km and the 12 mins section at about 4:28/km. Had been tired so will try 4:35 next week?

Sat 24th Feb
    S+C Upper and super stretch session.

Sun 25th Feb
    18kms out and back along the Grand Canal from Camden St. Loved being out on a new route and simply did not feel the kms go. More wildlife than the Royal but not as pretty. Loved the Heron standing as a sentry in the cenotaph concrete corner absorbing the warmth from the early morning sun. Turned after 9kms to feel and embrace the cold lively easterly wind. Pace unconsciously increased and moved through the plateaus between the locks descending towards the city which was revealed anew with each downward step. Absolutely loved this run. Confidence inspiring and leaving me in a very good place.

Spot on pace schedule at 5:52 from the 6:10's/km to the 5:30's/km. Some days the numbers are not as important as the run itself.

Monday 26th Feb
    14kms GA with 6x12 secs hill sprints and 6x100m strides.

Added an extra km or two as I could see that the week was going to present its own challenges. Have always jogged the hill sprint recoveries but decided to walk and jog (50/50) and work the sprints to the limit. Felt much more powerful on each leg.

Tuesday 27th Feb
    MLR Day - headed out to Howth to get 15.1 kms of trails and hills in for a bit of conditioning for the Maurice Mullins Ultra Lite (Half). Had a climbing friend for company which was great. Chance to chat and catch up and run a few miles as well. Pretty chilly with a biting gale force wind and peppered with graupel fresh off the easterlies. Loved it, shorts and all. This was a test run to try and figure what way to tackle MM, pace wise. Was very tired later in the day after the run. Had no water with me as I would normally run to around 20 km in winter without needing same. Averaged 7:23/km and I was targeting <7.30. Happy.

Enforced rest: Highlight - Stalin is Dead.

Monday 5th March
    12kms GA with 6x12 secs hill sprints and 6x100m strides. Pushed it pace wise to tire the legs for tomorrow. Strava was way off for 2 of the kms, for some reason. Can feel the speed returning and went with the better recovery regime once again for the hill sprints. Changed my route to include 2 parks as I am trying to reduce my concrete miles.

Tuesday 6th March
    15.1kms MLR back out in Howth again. Same route and on my todd this time. Very little lying snow left but plenty of water pooling on the tracks in places. Easy to escape around it and the speedcross 4's came into their own with great security in the mud. Out of the wind it felt quite warm, but there was a bracing wind to be felt out of shelter. I had wanted to try and run at least as fast as last week but hoped to feel a little better after the run. Also looked to run everything except the few steps.

Pushed this run and felt it within 3 kms. The uphills were savage at the faster pace but recovery on the flat was swift. Head is getting use to this rhythm. Ran the downhills fairly free rather than applying any braking action with the quads, so they kind of had a day off.

Lots of tourists, particularly younger Americans in for St. Patrick's Weekend. Lots of cheers. Kept the pace up to the last and only had one <7:30 min/km (8:36 with 105 m of ascent which is a GAP sub 5:00 min/km). Finished the run in good shape at 6:46 mins/km average. Will vary this next week.

Keep running folks.

Friday 9th March

LT Day again. It comes around too quickly. Should have done same yesterday but proved impossible with other commitments. Had planned a hike today but partner cancelled and I had some studies to catch up on, making this run my Friday treat!.

13kms required including 2x16 mins at LT (4:35/km) with 4 mins recovery jog. Body was feeling the effects of a hard MLR on Howth earlier in the week. Did my usual 4km warm up run. I seem to need to run at least this far before attempting a harder run. Used my Fairview Park loop which involved one leg into the wind and a long curve back kind of out of the wind :rolleyes:. Its an honest lap at least.

First 16 mins at 4:33 mins/km. Found a decent rhythm and the legs felt strong. No eyeballs out. Second 16 mins at 4:33 mins/km again but worked pretty hard over the last 1.5kms. Held the park railways upright to recover for a minute or two and then jogged the other 1.6 kms home very happy with myself. Recovered very quickly.

Sunday 11th March
    Endurance Run 18.3kms at 5.50 to 5:10 mins/km.
    Out early before the drizzle and headed out of town climbing to Darndale before turning along the N32 to Clonshaugh Road. Not much traffic and the hedges have been pared back by the council revealing a glistening path once again. Path on Clonshaugh Ave, about a 200m section along by the park, is still fully blocked by deep snow. Surprised.

Pace picked up around Northside across to the Ballymun Road and had to rein it in a little at times. Loved the feeling of running ever fast kms. A real confidence booster and ran the last 2 kms around 5:00 mins/km which felt quite comfortable. Will reassess pace for all runs after this week as fitness is definitely improving. Very impressive running today at Bohermeen which is providing lots of inspiration.

58.4 kms for the week and met all programme week goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going Denis - haven't checked in for a while and you seem to be coping well with the plan, which I assume is one of the Faster Road Running plans? A lot of the sessions look familiar as I've just started the 5k version. Is this with the "Battle of Clontarf" race in mind, by any chance? (Apologies if you have posted all this info already.)

Nice going. You were asking about the HR at the end of tempo runs earlier - it is up there in the VO2 range alright but I don't think it's anything to worry about as you work your way through the plan. We all struggle with some of the sessions and your HR is just demonstrating that. Looking good I'd say.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going Denis - haven't checked in for a while and you seem to be coping well with the plan, which I assume is one of the Faster Road Running plans? A lot of the sessions look familiar as I've just started the 5k version. Is this with the "Battle of Clontarf" race in mind, by any chance? (Apologies if you have posted all this info already.)

Nice going. You were asking about the HR at the end of tempo runs earlier - it is up there in the VO2 range alright but I don't think it's anything to worry about as you work your way through the plan. We all struggle with some of the sessions and your HR is just demonstrating that. Looking good I'd say.

Cheers Denis. Faster Road Racing 10 mls, Schedule 1. Improvising a little with the MLR by including hills in preparation for the Maurice Mullins Ultra Half in early April. Wanted to try something new for the experience but this training block is heading towards a 10 miler in early to mid May. Have my eye on the Wicklow Hospice 10 miler which has the tags "Ballycotton" and "fast course". I am a sucker for marketing :).

Thanks for the HR feedback. Don't want to dodge hard work but was also trying to figure if such exceptionally hard effort might work against my overall fitness. Feel that I have overdone things , at times, in the past during training blocks. That said, this block is going very well.

• Advertisement

Monday 12th March
    11 kms GA with 10x100m strides: 5:46/km.
    Easy enough run and visited a second park to reduce concrete miles. Restarted hip flexor exercises after this run (left leg) as noticed twinge during strides. Still some snow left in Johnstown Park.

Busy week so sessions tumbled.

Thursday 15th March
    14 kms Progressive Endurance Run: 5:28.km.
    Stuck well with the prescribed paces until last 3 kms which I ran by relaxed feel. They were around 10-15 secs faster than required. Just curious. Beginning to feel, and sense, the benefits of these endurance runs.

Saturday 17th March
    13.4 kms Tempo run which incl first visit to Poolbeg Parkrun. 5:18/km

A slight departure from the programme with this run. Ran the Parkrun midway through the run with no breaks. Bit of a warmup gallop to get there and was still late by close to 2 mins. Ran to start line, turned and picked up pace to catch up (5:02, 4:59, 4:57, 4:42 and 4:17). Enjoyed the company and chance to push it with a strong easterly blowing in over the sea. Even the hill was fun! Responded well to more competitive company and kept up a decent pace for the 4.2 kms back to town. A good mornings work and pretty dehydrated afterwards.

Sunday 18th March
    18 kms Prog Endurance Run. 5:35/km.

Kept this run to pace guidelines after a decent session yesterday. Ran out against the wind on the now slushy paths in late afternoon. Would have been so easy to not bother with this run but the will was there. Not a bad thing. Chose a running route that was as snow free as possible. Worked well and availed of the tarmac cycle route on the coast for the return on my loop as it was cycle free. Angry dramatic skies over the bay and the Dublin hills beyond. Enjoyed this run and woke during the night, fresh as could be. Report typed, toes now cold so back to bed.

Enjoy your Bank Holiday Monday. I may sleep on in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Hi Denis, Good to see I am not the only ageing runner afflicted with insomnia! Just thinking about your training. You don't appear to do too much shorter speed work although you are partial to Parkruns :). Would you consider incorporating some interval sessions into your programme? Fergal

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    Hi Denis, Good to see I am not the only ageing runner afflicted with insomnia! Just thinking about your training. You don't appear to do too much shorter speed work although you are partial to Parkruns :). Would you consider incorporating some interval sessions into your programme? Fergal

Very true Fergal. Last year I targeted 5km and 10 km pbs for the first 5 months. Idea was to try and speed things up a little before heading into marathon training. It worked to a point. My pb's fall off a cliff at around 10 km so I decided that for this winter and spring I would try and improve my endurance training using the Pfitzinger "Faster Road Racing" Plan for 10 miles, and use that to kick on to HM. Aim to race 10 mile in May and HM afterwards. I should also add that I have never trained specifically for 10 mile or HM distance before.

What I have noticed is that my LT sessions are very tough. I am not getting enough mileage in at faster paces but I am hopeful that will improve with some VO2 max sessions on the close horizon. Is there a particular interval regime that would help towards my targets? To be honest I have done a few Pfitzinger cycles and am getting a little bored so any suggestions are very welcome. I have looked at other peoples Strava sessions and reckoned I might be a little too rigid with the type of training I am at.

As an almost complete aside I am also looking to see if I am more or less suited to particular races and distances this year. I intend to drop into a variety of distances and races so interval training (even of the most general kind) would be no harm.

A few things got me thinking about the role of speed work and you and I are similar in both our running paces, the amount of time we dedicate to running and neither of us is in a club. The fact that clubs put so much emphasis on speed work has to be telling. I have jumped into GO'H's sessions since Christmas and I cannot get over how much better I feel running. The difference is huge. And thirdly I think at our age variety is good. Ultimately we run to feel healthier and to enjoy it. And finally, I read Richard Askwith's biography of Emile Zatopek and 400m intervals feature strongly!

A few things got me thinking about the role of speed work and you and I are similar in both our running paces, the amount of time we dedicate to running and neither of us is in a club. The fact that clubs put so much emphasis on speed work has to be telling. I have jumped into GO'H's sessions since Christmas and I cannot get over how much better I feel running. The difference is huge. And thirdly I think at our age variety is good. Ultimately we run to feel healthier and to enjoy it. And finally, I read Richard Askwith's biography of Emile Zatopek and 400m intervals feature strongly!

Fergal, thanks for this. Quite right, and penny is slowly dropping with respect to other runners Strava activities i.e. Club Session. Will investigate.

Running has been a chore at times over this winter so I have changed my approach and goals to see if that helps. So far so good and it helps with life in general. Zatopek - will borrow that, and some of his steel :)

Zatopek - will borrow that, and some of his steel :)

I have the book, D, if you want to borrow it ?

I have the book, D, if you want to borrow it ?

Thanks BG, I will. I am a little light on reading books on athletics. Some inspiration might be a good thing. I had a primary school teacher for whom Zatopek was a God. Think we were in 2nd class. It was a welcome distraction :D from real learning :rolleyes:

Thanks BG, I will. I am a little light on reading books on athletics. Some inspiration might be a good thing. I had a primary school teacher for whom Zatopek was a God. Think we were in 2nd class. It was a welcome distraction :D from real learning :rolleyes:

No problem :D. I'll fling it out the car at you some morning ;).

(Or alternatively just PM me and I can drop it up to you :))

Have you read 'What I talk about when I talk about running ?'

Or you can drop in as you gallop past my house as you do with great regularity and have my copy! And I like Murakami's writing :).

• Advertisement

No problem :D. I'll fling it out the car at you some morning ;).

(Or alternatively just PM me and I can drop it up to you :))

Have you read 'What I talk about when I talk about running ?'

Really appreciate the kind offer and have pm'd. No more than this morning, I can get a little lost in my own space when I run. Heard the beep and the holler :D at the edge of my world. Waved and then laughed to myself G.

I have read one non manual type book on running in my whole life, and I am a reader. Think it is deliberate but I happy to challenge that.
    Or you can drop in as you gallop past my house as you do with great regularity and have my copy! And I like Murakami's writing :).

That sounds like Book Number 2. A quick google and am interested. Thanks Fergal. Have to catch up on your travels as well :)

Advertisement