Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Week 6/18

Mon 26th Nov
    Easy Run of 8.2 kms to start the week. 5:49/km and HR 138.

Nothing special but one of the more relaxing runs on this weeks schedule. Its my "meet and greet" in the park run.

Wed 28th Nov
    15.4 kms with 4x1200m at 5-10km pace (600m jog rec): Aiming for 4:26/km and got 4:18, 4:18, 4:19, 4:20.

Tuesday storm and birthday celebrations put this session on hold from yesterday. Ran a few extra easy kms in what was a stormy enough early afternoon. Headed up to Johnstown Park where the wind would only effect me on the shorter legs of a rectangle. Tend to push off on each segment a little hard and then have to rein it in a little. Got better with each lap. Always amazed that I can actually manage to get these sessions done as frequently tire on the warmup!. Did feel the cold on the way home.

Thurs 29th Nov
    7.3kms Easy Run at 6:01/km and HR 136

Was given a heads up on a very sheltered 400m circuit in Albert College Park so made that the purpose of this run, as well as refreshing the legs of course. Found the circuit and will be using very shortly for 800m and 400m.

[/B]Fri 30th Nov[/B]
    Session cancelled as hit with something viral(?) for 24 hrs. Felt weak and nauseous. Worried that perhaps the intensity of the training may be too much so will watch this. Have noticed that I am getting hungry this week. Will aim to improve rest and nutrition.

Sat 1st Dec
    Easy Test Run 11.6 kms at 5:51/km and HR 141

Had set out to just do 8 km. Legs were very heavy until 4km and then improved so I wandered on for a few extra kms as was feeling much improved.

Sun 2nd Dec
    19.5 kms Long Run at 5:27/km pace HR 148.

Hanson was looking for 12 miles so I thought that I may as well see something interesting if I was going to spend that long running. Had a vague idea of heading to the Phoenix Park for the first time'ish in 2 years and made it up as I went along. Past Gerry's Restaurant, a gleaming new Kevin St Garda Station (which replaces the oldest Garda Station in the city next door), past the Tailors Hall in Back Lane and down to the start of the Camino at St. James Church. Warming up nicely....down Bow Lane and in through the front square of the The Museum of Modern Art and on through the grounds of The Royal Hospital exiting at Bully's Acre. What next... down to Islandbridge and through the War Memorial Gardens and along the Liffey by the rowing clubs to Chapelizod.

Hmmm.....alittle work to keep up the pace through the Upper Glen Road and on to the park wall near Mount Sackville to get a couple more trail miles in around the Phoenix Park exiting at the North Circular Road Gates. It was a warm morning and thirst got the better of me so I stopped at the front gate at Garda HQ and asked for some water. Got it too. A few kms down through Stoneybatter, in reverse to DCM '19, and then made a beeline up Bridgefoot Street (HR peaked here) before recovering in Meath Street which was full of Sunday shoppers.

My long runs seem to need a purpose of sorts. I dont't think about it and just let the route happen. It gets me out there and have to say today's run has given me back some confidence after the 24 hr hiccup.

Enjoy your running.

Week 7/18

Mon 3rd Dec
    Easy Run 8kms at 5:50/km and HR 139.

Still wearing the summer running gear of t-shirt and shorts. Could feel the weight of yesterdays run in my legs and managing a slight chest cold. Included a lap of Albert College Park where the ongoing "Boundary Vegetation Project" continues. It opens up the park to DCU and no doubt contributes a safer feel for users.

Tues 4th Dec
    Recovery run 2.3 kms at 5:56/km across town to collect the car after a Monday night Graduation celebrations.

Wed 5th Dec
    W Up, 3x1600m at 4:26/km pace with 800m jog rec, and CD. Did 4:30, 4:25, and 4:23.

Set this up to include St. Annes and seafront for the home journey. Really find these faster sessions intimidating. No reason why it should be so but lack of miles at faster paces shows on these runs. Made a hard job more difficult by inadvertently pressing the lap button early in the first flying mile. Had to do some mental gymnastics to settle up the figures. Worked out ok but fairly flattened on the 2nd mile, in which I also lost 200m. Last mile was much better, less flustered and concentrated on a bit of form. I would have trotted these off last year.

Thurs 6th Dec
    5kms at 5:53/km and HR 133

Had to swap out a day as I have a day on the hills tomorrow. Hike was a pleasure and felt my glutes, and quads afterwards. Hurdled the 1,000 miles for the year mid run.

Sat 8th Dec
    8km with 3 at HMP (4:50/km).

A quick warm up in St. Annes to measure the round runs of the Rose Garden for future training options. Ran the first 2kms nice and easy and then picked it up to HMP for 3 kms. Bit of puffing and panting to get up to pace and then flew along more comfortably.

Sun 9th Dec
    16 kms at 5:27/km and did same in 5:21. HR was a bit erratic so useless reporting same.

First few kms out of town towards Coolock were a little faster than average. Probably keen to find the pace quickly. Turned North West into the wind for the next few kms crossing de northside and on through Santry Woods to the Old Ballymun Road at Santry Lodge. Kept the pace up into the wind before turning back to the city past St. Pappins Church which was built in the mid 19th Century and paid for by the owners of the Cat and Cage in Drumcondra.

Legs have never felt as good as on this run, in this programme, and have been concerned that I am finding this programme tough. Paid up for Bohermeen so it will be my early year target race. The real plan is to use this programme to get running fit again and to enjoy the whole process. Me thinks that will be an ongoing investment.

Hanson HM Week 8/18

Mon 10th Dec
    10.3 Easy at 5:46/km and HR mid 130's

A local loop in reverse. Cannot remember much detail about this to be honest.

Tues 11th Dec
    13 kms with 5x1km at 5-10km pace and 600m jog rec. Completed them in ; 4:27, 4:29, 4:17, 4:23, 4:24.

HR in the high 150's for these and put in a big effort to get them on target. Mortified when I appeared around a corner in St. Annes Park and ended up in a primary school cross country meet. No way I was stopping as I was on a flying km and just hoped for the best that they would not veer over a few yards and overtake me. Got a round of applause from a group of laughing parents.....at least I think it was for me!!!

Thurs 13th Dec
    13.2 kms with 8kms at HMP (4:50/km). A belt and braces session. 4:44, 4:41, 4:43, 4:43, 4:43, 4:42, 4:41, 4:46. HR 158-160.

Very pleased with myself after this. As usual a lot of huffing and puffing for the first km and then ease into it at 3-4 kms. Knew about it on the last km. Chose a route that had a gentle ascent for the first 6.8 kms for the practice of it.

Fri 14th Dec
    11kms Easy Run at 5:59/km and HR 135.

Dropped one of the lads over to the RDS for his last semester exam and availed of the opportunity to take on a run for the soul. Sandymount to the Poolbeg Lighthouse and back with a howling south easterly at play. Loved the run on the lichen covered granite blocks all the way out to sea. Found a little shelter around the north of the lighthouse and just looked out to sea whilst catching my breath. Salt to lick and waves to entrance. Nowhere I would rather be for just those few minutes.

Sat 15th Dec
    10 kms Easy at 5:53/km and HR 140.

Headed to Parkrun in Fairview which was understandably cancelled with the storm. Ran the course anyway and then trotted back home glad to have a few kms done with the day that was in it.

Sun 16th Dec
    Long run of 19.2kms at at 5:27.km pace. Ended up at 5:22/km and HR 146.

A long loop out the Tonlagee Road - named after a mountain in Wicklow, and never was the Irish meaning more appropriate - Arse to the Wind! And the wind never seemed to favour me!!! Was fine on this route until I realised that I would have to divert back into town to get all the mileage in. Someone better organised would have known that but my long runs tend to take shape as I run along.

A very good week and a lot of mileage done. As Andy remarked on Strava - manageable. Yes, tough but manageable. I don't want to jinx my current good run of training but sure why not call it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’m guessing that impromptu return to your school cross country days was in kilometre 3. :)

Nice week.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I’m guessing that impromptu return to your school cross country days was in kilometre 3. :)

Nice week.

That's the one :D head rolling uncontrollably, lungs bursting on dead legs and the only battle was "yer man", some nameless soul, similarly inching his way to the line :D:D:D:D.

One of the more enduring experiences in life and still trundling along so many years later. Fair play to Brother Clarke who "made" us all line out as First Years.

• Advertisement

Folks,

Can I just say a huge "Thank You" for such kindness and consideration so recently received at this household from so many Boardsies. There is light and we have benefited from all the help and support. I ran with Ronan this morning (on my own Easy 10km) and relived an epic long hike/trail run up/down Mt. Marcy in summer 2014. An exhilarating adventurous route with mishaps, spills, river crossings and scrambling/climbing and a bit of competition to summit first - I always lost that one, but a great day nonetheless. It is some solace to have such lived and shared times to remember.

I know that everybody concerned may not see this message so please feel free to pass it on. Happy Christmas one and all and so looking forward to running and racing in 2019.

Week 9/18
    This is a slight stepback week for me on the programme and I further deepened it by missing 1 of 3 SOS sessions and 1 Easy Run. Not too worried but will make sure that this is a one off. Have lost 4.5 kgs since programme started. Only very slight diet alterations made to date and plan is to clean things up on Jan 1st. Another 4.5 kgs to lose before race day. Its all part of a bigger plan to be in proper shape for DCM '19.

Mon 17th Dec
    8kms Easy run at 5:49/km and HR 138.

Early morning run and this was a pleasant romp around a local circuit. Saw the stats after the run and noticed a Garmin PR for the uphill Swords Road Stretch beside the Bonnington - not so sure that was the best choice of name!!!!!!

Tues 18th Dec
    11.3 kms with 6x800m (5-10 km pace, 400m jog rec) and wup and cd. Tough!!! 4:20, 4:19, 4:24, 4:26, 4:26, 4:24 pace per/km. On target.

Through St Annes Park and back along the seafront. Think there was a breeze against me along the seafront and I do remember that my thighs felt so heavy for the last 2 reps.

Fri 21st Dec
    10 kms Easy run at 5:40/km and HR 136.

On to more familiar ground with a loop up to Finglas and back down along Griffith Avenue. Felt great on this despite a late night at a work "Do" the previous night. What little appetite I ever had for drink is ebbing away - prefer an odd glass of a nice red or some port etc. Probably an age thing and I suspect hangovers that feel as though I might be allergic to alcohol. I kid you not.

Sun 23rd Dec
    16.2 kms LR at 5:27 pace - Pace ended up at 5:17/km.

Super run that felt very comfortable but was way off target at 10 secs/km too fast. Not good and have to work harder at getting this right. Last nights biblical rain in evidence with banks of local streams breached and paths pooled with water. Lovely morning all the same with the drizzle, mildness and no wind.

Hanson HM Week 10/18

Mon 24th Dec
    11.2 kms Very Easy Run at 6:00/km and HR 136.

Christmas Eve and a busy day ahead so out the door shortly after 7am and down to Marino. Have seen other runners weave in and out through Marino on their runs and decided that it might be some fun to run along every road and try to leave a run trace on strava to outline the radial nature of the Ebeneezer Howard inspired "Garden City". Great run, great fun and the project kept me guessing until the very end as to what roads I had covered. Missed about 600 m of roads over the 11km run. As my school reports would so reliable announce "Room for improvement". Was never sure if that was delivered as a rebuke or perhaps feint praise - for doing ok!

Tuesday 25th Dec
    12.9 kms with 12x400m (5-10/km pace and jog rec). 1:45, 1:42, 1:42, 1:43, 1:48, 1:47, 1:45, 1:43, 1:47, 1:43, 1:43, 1:42.

Along the seafront and had to hit 1:46 so most of them came in right side of the line. Some breeze meant that a little judgement was required. Recovered well after this on the jog home. Thirsty.

Thursday 27th Dec
    13kms with 2.5 kms WUp, 8kms at HMP (4:50) and 2.5kms for CD.

A loop through St. Annes this week for a change of scenery for the HM pace run. Have been a little fast on these recently so used the watch to get the pace right and then ran the last 4 kms by feel (with 1 glance midway through each km). 4:47, 4:47, 4:47, 4:41, 4:46, 4:46, 4:46, 4:47. Aiming for a PB at 1:42 and am beginning to think that I should be able to sneak in under that. Race pace strategy coming together courtesy of these runs. Early days yet.

Hanson HM Week 10/18

Friday 28th Dec
    Very Easy Run of 10.5 kms, 5:45/km and HR 137.

One of the lads was working the Christmas Fri so did the decent thing and dropped him over to work and then headed to Sandymount. Trotted south to Seapoint, and back, trying to find as much coastal frontage as possible. Tricky around Blackrock. Felt weak for a few kms around 4-7 and had a cold gear baselayer on. The mild weather probably did not help. Back to t-shirts for the near future. A good thing.

Saturday 29th Dec
    Easy Run, 10,1 kms, at 5:36/km and HR 136.

A clockwise run along Griffith Ave, Ballymun Road and back through Santry. Super easy run after yesterdays episode. Met a few people I know and stopped for chats. That helped.

Sunday 30th Dec
    Long Run (target 5:27/km) and achieved 5:22/km and HR 143.

A big improvement with pacing , which I targeted this week, and just 5 secs/km quicker than required. Out through the Tolka Valley against the wind and back along by the canal to the North Strand ( long since gone !). Super strong run. Lots of new housing estates springing up along the canal from Ashtown back towards town. They look well and lots of them are occupied. Earlier this year I had passed a complete building site with people queuing at 8am one Saturday morning to see the showhouse. Nice to see new communities in locations with decent links and facilities to make a start in life.

76.8 kms for the week and have hit my stride with this programme. So aware of the need for sleep and nutrition. Diet will only improve after Christmas - could it go any other way :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

" Met a few people I know and stopped for chats. That helped "

Sorry for interrupting your run Denis! Great to catch up. Having met you I dragged myself around to the park and gingerly jogged a couple of laps of the football pitches in Albert College.

• Advertisement

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    " Met a few people I know and stopped for chats. That helped "

Sorry for interrupting your run Denis! Great to catch up. Having met you I dragged myself around to the park and gingerly jogged a couple of laps of the football pitches in Albert College.

Always good to talk :):). Good luck with the recovery and will hopefully see you before March 10th :)

Hanson Week 11/18

Whoops, missed a week with the log.

Monday 31 st Dec
    10kms Very, Very Easy Run at 6:08/km

Last run of the year demanded somewhere special to run. Out to the Poolbeg Lighthouse before the crowds and could just make out a blinking Kish out to sea. Loved the run and the fun of this. Stopped for a few quite minutes at the base of the lighthouse. Running has been kind to me this year leading up to the Maurice Mullins Half in the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains in April. Decided to then take things a little easier, due to other demands over the summer, with lots of time spent on the hills and a few runs most weeks. Early Sept start for base building so that the body was not completely overwhelmed with a programme. A good start made to Hanson HM although there was something working against the programme for the first several weeks. I was either overtired or perhaps something was lurking. It wore off with time.

Tues 1st Jan
    2.5kms Wup, 6x1 mile at 4:43/km (400m jog rec) and 2.5kms Cd - Strength Session :4:44, 4:49, 4:42, 4:43, 4:42, 4:36.

Out from town to Bushy Park for this one taking one rep on the approach road, 4 in the park, and back to town on quiet streets. The drizzle helped.

Thurs 3rd Jan
    2.5 kms wup, 6 miles at HMP (4:50/km) and 2.5kms Cd: 4:47, 4:46, 4:41, 4:45, 4:46, 4:45, 4:40, 4:47, 4:34 with HR 157 avg for HMP.

A bit fed up running up and down driveway dishing on footpaths so headed to the Phoenix Park, which is not too dissimilar from race course profile. A change is as good as a rest and the open Phoenix Park will keep me honest. Run went very well and felt fine very quickly afterwards.

Fri 4th Jan
    Easy run of 8kms at 5:40 and HR 140.

In the middle of a great spell of running weather and still in t-shirt and shorts. Long may it last. Just started reading Feet in the Clouds, courtesy of Bungy Girl. Fancy a go at completing some mountain traverses, maybe a long distance walk, by entering as a runner this year. Have my eye on Ballyhoura Half as well.

Sat 5th Jan
    Easy Run of 10kms at 5:29 (too fast) and HR 139.

Headed down to Fairview Parkrun with a eye on visiting all Dublin Parkrun courses this year. May have to get out of bed a little early on Sat morning from now on. Great crowd and very friendly volunteer crew. Ran the course in 27:21, and was 1st M>55 finisher. Hmmmmm. Was quite tired after this run and will have to take these a little handier while on the programme.

Sunday 6th Jan
    16.1 kms easy LR at 5:42/km and HR 138.

Headed out of town along the Howth Road and back along by the coast scouting a new route for next week. Glad I did not have to run any further today.

Another very good week of 75.8 kms and all sessions completed.

Hanson Week 12/18

For the eagle eyed out there you will no doubt have spotted that I am 2 weeks ahead of myself from race day on March 10th. I had intended heading to Scotland climbing for a few days and had allowed for a sick week which has not materialised so far. Not great climbing weather in Scotland - not cold enough for long enough, so will put trip off until after the race at this stage.

Monday 7th Jan
    Easy 8 kms at 5:46/km and HR 135.

My usual early morning run around a local loop that also takes in Albert College Park. The field at the very south east of the park was once part of our school cross country run when the grounds belonged to the Agricultural College. It was one of the more even parts of the course with grass like carpet. They were diligent horticultural students.

Tuesday 8th Jan
    Wup 2.5kms, 4x1.5 mls at 4:43/km, and Cd 2.5kms: 4:39, 4:40, 4:42, 4:42. Measurements are for the ambidextrous :rolleyes:

For some unknown reason I was fairly confident going out the door that this session would be very achievable. Last leg against a breeze and uphill had me chugging along using a little more coal than this Thomas had intended. As usual, all the sweat and tears were quickly forgotten about once I caught my breath and hit the sideline for home.

Thursday 10th Jan
    2.5 kms Wup, 6 miles at HMP (4:50/km) and 2.5 kms CD -: 4:44, 4:45, 4:45, 4:45, 4:43, 4:48, 4:44, 4:45, 4:43, 4:41.

Had the new race runners on for this spin around the Phoenix Park. Great run and form and have noticed that I speed up naturally on inclines by a few secs/km. Watch this.

Friday 11th Jan
    Easy Run 8 kms at 5:39/km, HR readings erratic.

An easier easy run than most. Today marks 2 great weeks of running weather. Still in shorts and short sleeved T-Shirts.

Saturday 12th Jan
    Easy 10 kms at 5:41/km and HR 141.

Drove close to Poolbeg Parkrun and participated with a small warmup. An absence of older runners, I thought, but when I checked my result I discovered that I was 6th Male 55-59. They weather very well on da southside :).

Wandered down through the penninsula that is Ringsend to see the new Capital Dock Skyscraper - or waterfall as a local wag explained. Apparently an internal water issue sent gallons galore down the inside of the new building before it is due to be occupied. Looked fine now from where I was standing across the basin. Another loop brought me back along the Dodder to the back of the Aviva and my car. Nice job.

Sunday 13th Jan
    LR 22.5 kms at target pace (5:27/km). Did 5:24/km. HR 144

New route required. Very gusty and wet for the first hour into the wind from Adelaide Road onto the Grand Canal and along to Kilmainham, Islandbridge, Kyber Road and out Castleknock Gate. Was interesting trying to figure how much time I should allow lost against the wind. Aimed for 60 seconds exiting the park and was down 36, I think. Out to Ashtown and back along the Royal Canal (my favourite) to the North Strand. Water stop at the Five Lamps in Centra before heading down Sheriff St to rejoin the Grand Canal at The Basin again. Nice route but was getting tired by the end and was fairly bunched for the rest of the day.

A particularly good week and nice to be getting in some solid honest runs for a few weeks in a row.

Hanson Week 13/18

Monday 14th Jan
    11.2kms Easy at 5:42/km and HR 138.

Slightly longer run after yesterday's paced LR but legs were good on this old favourite early morning route.

Tuesday 15th Jan
    17.1 kms with 3x2 mls at (target 4:43/km) and 800m jog recovery with Wup and Cd. Achieved: 4:39, 4:40 and 4:41/km. HR:151

Last 2 reps against the wind were tough enough towards the end on the seafront. The relatively calm weather over Christmas would be welcome again. Should probably ease off a little into the wind.

Thursday 17th Jan
    14.5 kms with 6 miles at HMP (4:50/km): 4:49, 4:55 (trees?), 4:40, 4:44, 4:45, 4:48, 4:50, 4:51, 4:48, 4:39 (.66km).

Back onto the sea front again and last 5kms were into an increasing wind.

Fri 18th Jan
    Easy 10kms at 5:47/km and HR 136.

Up to DCU from Malahide Road. Nice gentle ramp up into a fresh breeze. Can hardly sleep with all the excitement of The Spine Race!

Sat 19th Jan
    Very Easy Run including Waterstown Parkrun at 5:53/km and HR 136.

A new park for me. Closest I ever got before was paddling by in the Liffey on canoe trips. Stayed on for a cup of tea and jearned a little about the history of the mills dotted along by the river towards Palmerstown.

Sunday 20th Jan
    Short LR at Easy Pace run at 5:38/km and HR 141.

Have not run on the cinder track around UCD for a while and thought it would be pleasant for the joints. Ran very well, relishing the small inclines like a pro Spine gawker!.

This seems to be going well, Denis. Feeling good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

denis b wrote: »
    I had intended heading to Scotland climbing for a few days and had allowed for a sick week which has not materialised so far. Not great climbing weather in Scotland - not cold enough for long enough, so will put trip off until after the race at this stage.

Plenty cold enough now as you may be aware!

Murph_D wrote: »
    This seems to be going well, Denis. Feeling good?

Absolutely no complaints D. Can definitely feel the benefit of the strength sessions. Have started some visualisation and relaxation techniques on the SOS runs which are helping me relax and expend less pointless energy. It definitely works. Feels like I am rolling along rather than being tensed up.

I am repeating weeks 12 and 13 as I had 2 extra weeks built into the schedule which I no longer need. The body seems to be holding up but will take an extra rest day if needed.

Congrats on your epic Raheny 5 miler.

Plenty cold enough now as you may be aware!

Keeping an eye on 3rd or 4th week of March and have a new ice axe to break in :)

And for anybody who ever runs along the northside of Dublin Bay, how about this as a resource. Tried it this morning, but of course it doesn't actually stop the wind. Might help if you have a morning/afternoon/evening option to run. Will test reliability.

Useful (potentially)!

• Advertisement

Hanson Week 14/18

Monday 21st Jan
    Easy 8kms at 5:40/km and HR 135. Seasonal!

Tues 22th Jan
    WUp, 4x 1.5 kms at 4:43/km with 800m jog rec and CD: Did 4:42, 4:39, 4:40 and 4:41.

Down to the coast for this and back through St. Annes Park. I seem to remember working fairly hard on the last leg.

Thurs 24th Jan
    Missed a session. Sometimes it just does not happen. Not often though.

Fri 25th Jan
    Easy 8kms at 5:33 on local circuit.

Sat 26th Jan
    Easy Run 10kms at 5:31/km and HR 140.

Out to Darndale Parkrun for #4 Dublin Parkrun Tour. Chatted to a fisherman - fishing in the park pond - on the warmup. 3 rods, tent, camping stove and full "big country" weather gear. We both enjoyed what we did today.

27th Jan
    22.5 kms LR at target 5:27/km. Did 5:21 and HR 144.

Got out early on a sunny blustery morning and inspired by The Spine race I decided to get some "hills" in. Out from Phibsborough to Finglas Village, Botanics to Glasnevin Ave, and Tolka, Drumcondra to Beaumont. 3 decent long drags and felt as strong as a horse.

Hanson Week 15/18

Mon 28th Jan
    11.6 kms Easy run at 5:43/km and HR 136.

Early morning start but at least the parks were open.

Tues 29th Jan
    Easy run 10.2 at 5:43/kms. Swapped session around to suit available time.

Wed 30th Jan
    Wup, 3x2mls at 4:43/km (800m jog rec) and CD to give 17.1 kms. Did 4:35, 4:41, 4:40.

Out of town to Tonlagee Road and down to the coast before fighting the wind back to Fairview. Session was a blast and went exceptionally well. Might be overdoing it keeping the required pace into the wind at times.

Fri 1st Feb
    Wup, 6 mls at HMP (4:50/km) and CD for 14.6kms at HR 150.

Laps came in at 4:45, 4:48, 4:46, 4:47, 4:45, 4:44, 4:46, 4:45, 4:43, 4:47 (.6).

Out by Raheny and back by the coast taking on the prevailing winds again. Think I am unconsciously testing myself?

Sat 2nd Feb
    Easy 8kms at 5:28/km and HR 140.

Included #5 Dublin Parkrun in Bushy Park and only spotted a Heron fishing this time. No tent, no stove.

Sun 3rd Feb
    Easy LR 16.1 kms at 5:39/kms and HR 142.

Early start meant that I could run on the road through Artane, Coolock, Santry, Ballymun, Finglas and back into town. Just remember the intense blue skies from this run.

Hanson Week 16 of 18.

Mon 4th Feb
    Easy run 8 kms at 5:37/km and HR 139.

Tues 5th Feb
    Wup, 2x3mls at 4:43/km (jog rec 1km) and CD. Managed 4:38 and 4:40.

Tough, tough session and was completely floored afterwards. Ran into strong winds and held the pace.

Thurs 7th
    Wup, 7mls at HMP(4:50), and Cd :4:48, 4:54, 4:38, 4:46, 4:46, 4:45, 4:45, 4:48, 4:47, 4:53, 4:47, 4:44 (.2)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Times were fine, very strong winds, I felt absolutely crap. Had to concentrate hard to make this happen. HR was very high and I could just have stopped after 2 kms. Got that brain distortion from the low light shining through the railway railings in Fairview and it properly threw me for a while. BUT....the session is done and even bad days count for something.

Fri 8th Feb
    Easy run of 9kms at 5:48/km and HR 135.

I appear to have recovered somehow!!!

Sat 9th Feb
    Easy Run 10 kms at 5:51/km.

Out to Brickfields for #6 Dublin Parkrun Tour. Palled up with another runner who gave me a rich account of the park name and post war years development of Crumlin. It happens that we have also climbed the same remote mountains in Torridon and Assynt - gold. Stayed around for the chat, tea and fig rolls afterwards. That was a very good morning.

Sunday 10th Feb
    LR 22.51 kms plus 1 km CD (was too far away from the shower). Target pace 5:27/km - did 5:21/km.

Noted on the day that sometimes everything just falls into place and a run is indescribably easy. Why?....I don't know. Out from town by the Grand Canal and down to Kilmainham where I reversed the DCM course to Farmleigh and popped in to see what Mrs. May saw. On to Ashtown and back to town along the canal. I always think of Aslan, on that section of the canal. An association.

That was probably the greatest weekly running mileage that I have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done! You're putting quality weeks together. Looking forward to saying hello in Bohermeen.

Hanson Week 17/18

This is the week that the wheels came a little undone. Has to happen once in every programme!

Monday 11th Feb
    Easy run of 11.7kms at 5:48/km.

Tuesday 12th Feb
    Wup, 3x2mls (again) at 4:43/km (800m jog rec) and CD for 16.3kms total: 4:38, 4:41, 4:41.

Back home along the coast so had the wind to contend with. Held pace but did not push beyond that by much. Hard to gauge the effect of the wind with windspeed, head/tail, pace, height, weight, surface area etc all having their say. Did some research and up to 20 secs (head) for 25mph wind. Dubgal did always say that "effort" is key, but I don't know if I always trust myself with that!.

Hit by a mini nasty sinus/headcold/temp/aches etc.

Sat 16th Feb
    Easy run of 9.4kms at 5:46/km and HR 142.

Out to Ardgillan for #7 Dublin Parkrun Tour for a longstanding meetup with a former climbing partner. This is the parkrun for the views,,,a quick downhill stretch to the railway and coast before completing 2 undulating laps. Great fun.....with people constantly having to adapt to hill, terrain, wind etc. Out of the woodland for the last time and brace yourself for the lung bursting leg deadening uphill finish at the front door to the Coffee Shop. Yes. Oh and a quick cooldown in the walled garden.

Sun 17th Feb
    Easy LR of 16.8 kms at 5:41/km and HR of 145, which is a little high.

Saw a route that skyblue laid down recently and did as much of it as the mileage allowed today. Included laps of Albert College, Johnstown and Poppintree Park. Encountered Parkrun Jnr in Albo....100 kids MARVELLOUS. Got a lot of very cheery Hello's from early morning walkers today. More that usual. Bodycheck- chest congested, sinus still letting me know that it needs LTC but am happy to continue with the programme next week.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done! You're putting quality weeks together. Looking forward to saying hello in Bohermeen.

Thanks Sean....absolutely will say hello and looking forward to a decent run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff Denis solid work there

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great stuff Denis solid work there

Cheers Anne. Glad to be on this side of it :). On the plus side I am 7 kgs lighter now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

denis b wrote: »
    Cheers Anne. Glad to be on this side of it :). On the plus side I am 7 kgs lighter now :D

Good man D, 7kgs is great loss. Training has been great, goal time for Bohermeen?

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man D, 7kgs is great loss. Training has been great, goal time for Bohermeen?

a) <1:40 - decent pb
    b) <1:42:20 - pb
    c) Get around, collect the goodie bag and eat 7kgs of sambo's - enjoy my day.

Advertisement