Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck! Is it a point to point course or a loop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

best of luck Denis! have a super race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow Denis, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Thursday

5km recovery run with 4 x 100m strides. Legs felt really strong and light afterwards.

Friday

Raceday. Left work an hour early to get clear of the city and drive to Kickhams GAA Pitch near Greenore on the Cooley Penninsula. Pre race collection of number and a quick look at the course which has a soft U profile ie. easy downhill for 5 km, flat along the coast for 2 km, undulating for the next 1km and a 3 stepped hill for 2 km to finish. When I got there it was lashing rain with a strong onshore wind. Got to the GAA hall to register 45 mins before race start and got kitted out with an extra long sleeve top and rainjacket. The tannoy system was blaring out my upbeat Luke Kelly ballads as I changed in the car but there was a great North Easy buzz about the place and this appeared to be a real locals event.

Got my 2 km warm up done as the rain eased off a little but the winds were increasing and would hit us hard on the last 3 km of the race. Decided that I would try my best to pb regardless of weather and aimed to pick up 6-7 secs a km for the first 7 km and then dig deep against wind and hill for the last 3. The MC was gas...perfect for the job keeping everybody entertained and slagging off one and all. Helped to create a great buzz.

1 minute to go...jacket and extra top off and thrown on the backseat for later and straight to the start. Moved up about 4 rows from the front (thanks KennyG) and reckoned that would be pretty much right. We were off...aided by the firing of a rocket to start the race from a nearby field. I didnt hear it but the movement did the trick. Blinking into the wind and rain we dived around a corner and straight down a narrow hedged lane that twisted and turned its whole length. No time to switch off sticking with the racing line and avoiding the running water on the roadway. The race settled quite quickly and I could see a few runners around me to keep an eye on if I was easing off.

Km 1 - 4.22, KM 2 - 4:40, Km 3 - 4:29. Had noticed the flying start and picked up the pace a little for the third 3km. Needed to bank some time and a 4:42 per km would see me just break my pb.

Consciously decided to keep the pace up over the next 2 km and had noticed that three other runners were just ahead. Caught up with them over a km and as I pulled alongside them the younger male and female runner pushed on. There were a few small hills and on each one I tended to overtake them only to see them pass on the downhill. Noticed the footfall of the male runner was getting heavier and heavier. Felt good and was running nice and steady in completely new territory (time wise). Kept the head up on any small rises and shortened the step as the DCM had taught us.

Km 4 - 4:34, KM 5 - 4:30. Absolutely thrilled with this but didnt live by the watch only glancing down to see what the last paced km was. I was beginning the feel the correct pace after the training.

Hit the coast and the wind at the same time. The short squalls were knocking the stuffing out of anybody who was struggling and suddenly our small group of 4 were passing people very regularly. Funny enough there was no communication and probably a bit of edge from the younger 2 runners who were working hard. Every house we passed had people hanging out over walls with umbrellas being tested to their limits. Gave a shout out each time to the race supporters.

KM 6 - 4:35, KM 7 - 4:40. Could feel the left thigh getting a little stiff but nothing else and although working hard there was plenty in the legs for those hills just ahead. No water needed at either water station....only had time to concentrate and race against the clock.

The 8th km had a series of of short hills and again the road twisted and turned. Our group suddenly became 2 as the hills worked us. Feeling this now but worked hard to save as much time as possible Km 8 - 4:34.

Turned a corner to see a string of runners ahead approaching the main road and the 3 step hill. Ran at it nice and steady and could see the pace falling off. Ran harder and picked up the pace considerably judging by the number of runners I was passing but it was hard hard work. Km 9 - 4:59. Just saw afterwards that the Strava GAP time was 4:34....delighted with that.

Last 2 hills and exposed road meant the wind hammered us. The first 500 m I just tried hard to pick up the pace regardless of the gradient and then ran all out for the last 500 metres as I saw the floodlights on the pitch over the hedges. KM 10 4:35 with Strava GAP at 4:24.

Over the timing mat and hands on knees to one side. Caught my breath pretty quickly. Time of 46:02 and a pb by exactly one minute. Not a bad days work in the circumstances and my own series continues. Plan is to peak at Dunshaughlin. Not as hilly and hopefully not as stormy. Will definitely race here again.

O and I won a medal for 2nd place Male 50+ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good stuff Denis B!! That seems like an excellent result on a hard day. Proper emptying of the tank and all. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Awesome, nice work! Sounds like a tough enough course and conditions. Congrats on the silverware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done denis! Congrats on the PB and the podium finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Brilliant run, Denis. Proud of ya!

• Advertisement

nop98 wrote: »
    Good stuff Denis B!! That seems like an excellent result on a hard day. Proper emptying of the tank and all. Well done!
    Singer wrote: »
    Awesome, nice work! Sounds like a tough enough course and conditions. Congrats on the silverware :)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done denis! Congrats on the PB and the podium finish.
    Brilliant run, Denis. Proud of ya!

Thanks folks. Not sure when I last won a medal and didn't get to stand on the podium because I missed my name being called out. Probably had my head buried in the sandwiches and soup and chattin away. Hadn't even dawned on me that I might medal. Well you just live and learn in this life :D. Its on its way by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, D. Sounds like you did what you set out to and got the reward for your efforts. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's just brilliant Denis ! Congratulations. Dunshaughlin will be a breeze after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Super racing Denis, sounds tough race and a podium finish to boot, great race
    report enjoyed that.

just catching up here, that's just fantastic Denis!!!! well done on a great race and a podium finish to boot! Roll on Dunshaughlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one, D. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ah great stuff Denis, sounds like you nailed that race and got the effort perfect throughout!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done, D. Sounds like you did what you set out to and got the reward for your efforts. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mark. Had 46 mins in mind and planned around that. Unorthodox I know, but it just seems to be the way that works for me for now.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's just brilliant Denis ! Congratulations. Dunshaughlin will be a breeze after that.

Thanks G and have taken no small amount of inspiration from your own good work.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Super racing Denis, sounds tough race and a podium finish to boot, great race
    report enjoyed that.

Cheers G. Course was tough on the night but is endlessly interesting to run. That will be bring me back. Would like to race it in better conditions.
    Firedance wrote: »
    just catching up here, that's just fantastic Denis!!!! well done on a great race and a podium finish to boot! Roll on Dunshaughlin :)

Thanks AM. Scanning the hinternet to enter it. Just out of hospital from a small op this morning. Back with some easy running mid next week and will then knock some shape into the preparation for Dunshauglin.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice one, D. Congrats.

Cheers Denis. You bet me by one place this weekend.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Ah great stuff Denis, sounds like you nailed that race and got the effort perfect throughout!

Thanks David. The plan worked on a softish pb. Got away with the bad weather so looking forward to a repeat in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff Denis, great report:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great racing Denis, you certainly didn't let those hills get the better of you.

• Advertisement

Well op recovery continues and hope to get some easy miles in tomorrow. Have updated the plan to have something useful done:

Date|Race|Distance|PB|Comment|
    14.5|Parkrun|5 Km| |21:57|
    20.5|Cooley Coast Race|10km|47:02|46:02|
    31.5|Dunboyne |5 Miler|37:01|Going for a pb|
    11.6|Parkrun|5km|21:00|Going for a pb|
    18.6|Dunshaughlin|10 km||Target Race and another pb|
    30.6|Clonee|10km||"B"Target race- just in case|

Will have a week to prepare for Dunboyne 5 miler and the target is to beat pb of 38:36 by 2 minutes. Its soft and have only run one before (Raheny Jan 2016) so using my current form and Dunshaughlin goal time to test the body at this slightly shorter distance.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great stuff Denis, great report:D

Thanks A. Writing the report was good therapy in the circumstances :D
    annapr wrote: »
    Great racing Denis, you certainly didn't let those hills get the better of you.

Cheers Anna. All those years in the hills have left some kind of mark. I think its the challenge. I don't go out of my to find them when running all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Denis, Imm delighted for you, that was super super racing especially in those conditions - all that training is paying off. There's plenty more to be shaved off that PB :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Denis, Imm delighted for you, that was super super racing especially in those conditions - all that training is paying off. There's plenty more to be shaved off that PB :)

Thanks Neady. Not quite the commitment required for some of your ventures but yes its good to feel some payback.

Saturday to Monday

Rest and recovery after a small planned operation on Saturday morning. Was able to maximise time by fitting it in after a race.

Tuesday

Got medical clearance for a 6 km SLOW recovery run this evening and ran it along the promenade after work. Covered it at 5:54 per km and kept a keen eye out for some of Bungy Girls foes (the careless long leashed dog walking set) but nothing to report.

Could feel some evidence of last Fridays run in the hamstrings and glutes. Got some stretching in on the grass to spend a little extra time in the outdoors. Was good to get a few kms run on grass again.

Wednesday

11 km Progressive Endurance type run

3 km at 5:50/km, 3 km at 5:40/km, 3 km at 5:30/km and 2 km at 5:18/km. Went nice and smooth and got a decent stretching session in as well. Constantly visualising the upcoming Dunboyne 5 miler during this mornings run so I suppose that counts as being in the mood for racing again.

I dedicate a portion of my time to running and am really happy with that but it must be devastating for those who devote year after year of their lives for olympic selection to somehow end up coming up short. Cant say I understand all the politics, or rights and wrongs, of how the mens marathon team was selected but it must be crushing for those left behind.

denis b wrote: »
    Wednesday

11 km Progressive Endurance type run

3 km at 5:50/km, 3 km at 5:40/km, 3 km at 5:30/km and 2 km at 5:18/km. Went nice and smooth and got a decent stretching session in as well. Constantly visualising the upcoming Dunboyne 5 miler during this mornings run so I suppose that counts as being in the mood for racing again.

Couple of tips for you, it's gun time so don't by shy about coming a bit more forward. Its left hand turns on country roads so stay in the middle of the road to keep your legs level (ditches are quite sloped in parts) When you get to the graveyard (it'll be on your right) its approx a mile from there (don't shoot me if I'm a bit off!) if you can, you could start to pick up a teeny tiny bit and certainly as soon as you see civilization again you're almost home, you turn left off the man road and into the carpark and onto the track so the last little bit is mentally hard but lots of support there to cheer you on.

Firedance wrote: »
    Couple of tips for you, it's gun time so don't by shy about coming a bit more forward. Its left hand turns on country roads so stay in the middle of the road to keep your legs level (ditches are quite sloped in parts) When you get to the graveyard (it'll be on your right) its approx a mile from there (don't shoot me if I'm a bit off!) if you can, you could start to pick up a teeny tiny bit and certainly as soon as you see civilization again you're almost home, you turn left off the man road and into the carpark and onto the track so the last little bit is mentally hard but lots of support there to cheer you on.

Thanks for the heads up AM. The Cooley Coast race helped with the country roads bit and ran in the centre by default as the wheel grooves were streamlike. The Graveyard as a target will work well for me as I tend to run conservatively (Thanks Garmin) and usually have something left to finish with.

Oh and will definitely move forward a little. Had a look at last years results and have calculated roughly where my time would bring me in place wise. Will position myself appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah Denis, delighted to read 10km race PB. Sounded tough. Well done.

Thursday

10 km Aerobic run and strides

6 km aerobic and 2 x (4 x 150 m strides) 250 m recovery jog and 4 mins recovery jog between sets. 1.5 km cool down.

Session went very well. huge thirst all day and drank over 2.5 litres to stave off headache which I would associate with dehydration. Recovered by afternoon and will have to act on this as its a constant issue.

Friday
    Rest day

• Advertisement

Saturday

11 km Aerobic Run at 5:56/km Avg HR 141.

Its warm and humid out there this morning folks. What a dramatic change in 24 hours. The mini taper has started for Dunboyne on Tuesday night. Have my race plan sorted early thanks to Firedance and will stick to my Luke Kelly ballads to put some fire into my belly for the race.

Advertisement