Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Aldi Analogue Smartwatch

Options
  • 09-11-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Aldi is currently offering a range of Crane Analogue Smartwatches at €49-99.
    They are not just wristwatches but also offer other services linked to an app on an iPhone or similar smartphone. I bought one of these and have had lots problems trying to get it to work. It only works when combined with a smartphone which, in theory, should not be a problem but it was!

First you have to Register and log in via smartphone or internet. It rejected my email and password (no password criteria were specified) so I was unable to proceed further. I e-mailed the address given and was told (a day later) to try to uninstall and reinstall the app ( that didn't work) or to try registering over the internet. Eventually the latter worked and i was able to Log In.

Secondly I had to try to get the Bluetooth to work. Again lots of difficulties. Eventually my iPhone was "paired with" and recognised the watch but the watch has then to paired with the iPhone. This required a series of App screen button pressing and side button of watch pressing. Eventually the screen of the App declared "Success" and listed the device as paired with the iPhone. Then came a white screen saying that a Firmware Update was necessary to proceed. When I pressed "ok" (you cannot proceed without doing so) a few little twirlies appeared on the screen but then the previously set-up pairing was cancelled. I repeated the pairing and "firmware update" routine several times but was unable to go from there. I am still awaiting a return of my second e-mail to their internet "support" service.

At this point, the 3 hour battery charge is completed, the bluetooth is working only one-way and, most importantly, the TIME on the watch cannot be set to the actual time (this can only be done through the app which will not pair with the watch!) So, in effect, nothing is working and the Aldi Analogue Smartwatch is not usable.

For perspective on this, I bought a FitBit wrist device a few months ago which has a similar connection and operating arrangement with an iPhone app. This worked perfectly from the start without problems and still does.

I am thinking of trying to get my money back from Aldi as I cannot get their Analogue Smartphone to work but it seems a nice clever device which I would like to get working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just get your receipt and head back to Aldi. They generally have a very good reputation for handling returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Take my advice and never ever buy an electronic device from Lidl or Aldi where you'll need support in the future, that even applies to digital cameras (because you'll need drivers down the line to connect it to future versions of Windows and OSX) and especially GPS units (map updates) and so on.

That 'smart' watch will probably run out of road on the next or following version of iOS. Do yourself a favour, get your money back and stay away from gadgets in those discount stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

It doesn't matter where you buy an electrical device. the manufacturer releases drivers online. If they don't then it doesnt matter if yer a shelf stacker in aldi or a computer builder, the device won't work.

Ive bought alot of things in Aldi and Lidl, I don't expect them to have the tech knowledge to give support but the products tend to come with helplines.

Don't think its fair to tell people not to buy from these stores.

As for fitbit vs aldi brand. Fitbit is the biggest brand in connected health devices. I'd hope they would be easier to use and setup then a cheaper alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Out of curiosity are you trying to connect this to your phone while still connected to your fitbit or other bluetooth device? You can only connect one device at a time and if bluetooth is connected elsewhere the smartwatch will not be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

AKW wrote: »
    Out of curiosity are you trying to connect this to your phone while still connected to your fitbit or other bluetooth device? You can only connect one device at a time and if bluetooth is connected elsewhere the smartwatch will not be found.

The iPhone is connected to (or paired with) the Aldi smartwatch all right. The problem is that the Aldi smartwatch will not pair with or recognise the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Digame

I had the same problems. I was able to connect the app by pressing the back button( top left) immediately after the success message but before the Notice to upgrade the software. The time worked but the other features did not. I brought it back yesterday and got a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

After several frustrating e-mails to and from the service agent for Crane (Aldi's brand for this watch) I have finally got the analogue smartwatch to work. At least the hands now show the correct time on the watch face.

I am still testing the other features and am getting lots of vibrating messages suggesting lots of things but since I have set it not to alert me on incoming e-mails and there have been no incoming text messages I am not sure what the various vibrations signify. There is one I do understand which is a five-pulse vibration if the bluetooth in the watch loses contact with the iPhone such as if the iPhone is plugged in for charging in a different room.

The now working timepiece draws attention to a design flaw that I hadn't properly noticed previously: the poor contrast between the colour pf the hands and the background colour, making for difficult visibility of the time. Its not that you cannot ascertain the time but you have to peer closely to see what it is saying. This problem is much worse in some of the other colours offered which have black hands against a black background -incredible, but true!

Anyway I will not now be returning the product to Aldi, after all.

Advertisement