Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks hates Christmas and Jesus apparently.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm just wondering that if we actually *did* declare 'war on christmas', what form would it take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

i'm just wondering that if we actually *did* declare 'war on christmas', what form would it take?

Create a new holiday. We'll need a new person for it to be about, maybe a white man who leaves presents for children. Change the name to Xmas to remove Christ from it. Then just have it more about giving presents to each other and eating a lot of food so that people no longer focus on the birth of their god.

Im sure there is still stuff left we can steal from the pagans, maybe something to do with trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Create a new holiday. We'll need a new person for it to be about, maybe a white man who leaves presents for children. Change the name to Xmas to remove Christ from it. Then just have it more about giving presents to each other and eating a lot of food so that people no longer focus on the birth of their god.

Im sure there is still stuff left we can steal from the pagans, maybe something to do with trees.

Well there's always Festivus:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

robindch wrote: »
    CNN interviews Josh Feuerstein, one of the "entrepreneurial bigots" behind the campaign - carcrash telly at its best:

Strange coincidence that he couldn't hear him there...more divine intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Don't forget that Jesus, if he existed, was almost certainly NOT born in December. Other, more reliable dates for his birth are April, May, September and October.

I think the "true Christians" should celebrate Christmas (Jesus' birthday) on April 20th. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Change the name to Xmas to remove Christ from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
    The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass,[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός which comes into English as "Christ".[2]

There is a common belief that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I know that, the anti red cup brigade on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Tin soldiers mounted on rocking horses wielding candy cane lances assaulting the mountain stronghold of the teddy bears, whilst squadrons of angels carry out airborne assaults against the stars holding the high ground on the christmas tree. Cheery steam trains carry vital supplies from the far reaches of the living room, hoping to outrun the predations of plastic cowboys and indians. All captured on GoPros and streamed to iPads throughout the world as Hololens generals seek to sway the battles with minecraft constructed redoubts and exploding sheep.

At least I hope that's the form it will take.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I lean pacifist, but that's a war I'd support!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Another day, another attempt to pretend we're not a Christian people. Sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no problems saying Happy Christmas, or being wished Happy Christmas, even though I have no religious input and don't really like Christmas that much. Its a traditional festival in the middle of the winter; dress it up how you like, enjoy it, promote peace and charity.

If I were greeting people that I knew were of different religious beliefs I would be happy to wish them Happy whatevertheirfeastis, if I did not know what religious beliefs they had I might say happy holidays (though I doubt whether I would remember :) ) I would not mind if someone wished me happy hanukkah or whatever. I really do not see how evidence of other people's celebrations could be offensive, whatever the religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Another day, another attempt to pretend we're not a Christian people. Sad really.
    what attempt are you referring to? the starbucks cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Who is 'we're'?

Yes, the coffee cups.

'We' as in the civilised people of western Europe and North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yes, the coffee cups.

Are those who aren't Christian in those areas still technically Christian? Like, say, Jewish or Hindu or Muslim or non religious people?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yes, the coffee cups.

Uh... yeah, just checked, deffo not christian.

Yes, the coffee cups.

'we' in the first post referred to christians.
    'we' in the second post was referred to as 'the civilised people of europe and north america'.

there's a funny smell around here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Frosty, you paint a pretty dire picture of your fellow faithful, as though Christians are so totally and utterly insecure that they must have their faith reflected back at them at all times in everything up to and including coffee cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not an attempt to pretend we're not a Christian people. We're not a Christian people.

There are Christian people, and you can also have a Christian person, but unless everyone you include in "people" is Christian, you cannot have "a Christian people".

If you're only referring to Christians, then your mistake is suggesting Starbucks only sell to Christians. They don't. If you're referring to everyone Starbucks sells to, then your mistake is suggesting they're all Christian. They aren't.

Of course, if you're just making a flippant remark knowing it'll be argued with, you scored a proverbial touchdown.

'we' in the first post referred to christians.
    'we' in the second post was referred to as 'the civilised people of europe and north america'.

there's a funny smell around here...

They're one and the same. Isn't it rather odd that atheists would celebrate Jesus' birthday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They're one and the same. Isn't it rather odd that atheists would celebrate Jesus' birthday?

Christians and civilised people? Atheists aren't civilised? They're the only people who don't kill in the name of religion.

Bigger question: why do Christians celebrate Jesus' birthday in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Isn't it rather odd non-pagans would refer to Woden's Day, Thor's Day and Frige's Day?

Isn't it rather odd that atheists would celebrate Jesus' birthday?

I love Christmas, I get far too overexcited by it, but I really do love it. I started making mead back in June to be ready for Christmas, have nearly all my presents sorted out (got herself a fancy little model train, the huge nerd she is) and just got myself a frozen turkey crown from Aldi for the big dinner I'm gonna cook for family and friends. Next week I'm gonna pick up a bottle of dark rum for cooking the ham in, nothing like it! Gonna watch My Neighbor Totoro, 'cos for some reason that's become my traditional Christmas movie, despite it having nothing to do with the season, it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I watch it.

Christmas to me is all about family and friends, having a big feast and people showing how much they mean to each other. It's got nothing to do with Jesus. My point is, stop trying to make everything about you, Christians! It's not about you!

if i 'celebrate' friday, does that mean i worship the goddess frigg, or accept her existence as factual?

Links234 wrote: »
    Christmas to me is all about family and friends, having a big feast and people showing how much they mean to each other. It's got nothing to do with Jesus. My point is, stop trying to make everything about you, Christians! It's not about you!

Well, according to Wikipedia: "Christmas or Christmas Day (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed most commonly on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world. A feast central to the Christian liturgical year, it is prepared for by the season of Advent or Nativity Fast and is prolonged by the Octave of Christmas and further by the season of Christmastide. "

So...yeah...I think it has a lot to do with Jesus and Christianity. Do you also celebrate feast days of other religions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Well, according to Wikipedia: "Christmas or Christmas Day (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed most commonly on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world. A feast central to the Christian liturgical year, it is prepared for by the season of Advent or Nativity Fast and is prolonged by the Octave of Christmas and further by the season of Christmastide. "

So...yeah...I think it has a lot to do with Jesus and Christianity. Do you also celebrate feast days of other religions?

Do you celebrate Halloween? As regards Christmas it's simply one in a long line of mid winter festivals going back probably to the dawn of mankind. You need something to cheer yourself up during rough spells, what better way to do it than a big party honouring whatever local deities you're into & pigging out on that portion of the harvest you were able to put aside earlier in the year. Christmas is currently what most people in Europe & America happen to call this. Who knows, maybe in a couple of hundred years it will have been replaced by something completely different (Hitchenstide anyone?).

And what are you hoping to get from Santa, Frosty?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You seem to be missing part of that Wikipedia paragraph. Here, I'll post it below and highlight the part you missed.

Christmas or Christmas Day (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed most commonly on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world. A feast central to the Christian liturgical year, it is prepared for by the season of Advent or Nativity Fast and is prolonged by the Octave of Christmas and further by the season of Christmastide. Christmas Day is a public holiday in many of the world's nations, is celebrated culturally by a large number of non-Christian people, and is an integral part of the Christmas and holiday season.

So as it states, it's celebrated culturally, not religiously by non-religious people. Perhaps if you'd read the last sentence of that paragraph we could have avoided this confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not confusion Penn...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

fedor.2. wrote: »
    That's offensive

Does it make you, ahem, cross?

Advertisement