Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp in Rental property

Options
  • 09-11-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My daughter, her partner and their 13 month old began renting for the first time three months ago. It's an old converted stone cottage - think it used to be a stable.

Anyway from the first time I visited, which would have been the Summer, I could smell what I thought was damp. At the time I wasn't sure if it was damp or just a musty smell as it had been unoccupied for a while.

However since the weather has turned colder and wetter, there's no doubt it's damp. Their bedroom is very damp and the bed actually feels slightly damp sometimes. In the last few days they've noticed that one wall is practically covered in mould. They ran a dehumidifier in the room over the weekend and it was almost full after one day.

There are other problems too, for example when it rains heavily the rain comes in under the kitchen door and leaves puddles in the kitchen.

As they have a baby to consider, they've told the landlord they can't stay there and want to give notice to quit.

My question is, as they're only 3 months into a 1 year lease, would they be entitled to get their security deposit back as the house is a health hazard.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I would imagine so, its a total breach of contract under legislation (residential tenancies act) - contact the PRTB and bring to their attention if the landlord gives them any grief.

Advertisement