Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP, supposidly really really bad battery life

Options
  • 28-11-2004 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

I've heard times ranging from 90mins to 4 hours. But the 4 hours was with wireless communication off, back light at lowest brightness, playing a not to detailed game, and using headphones. Sounds pretty bad, averaging 2 hours. More like the Playstation-not-so-portable. They *really* shouldn't have used discs, they drain power like a big power draining thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya i heard about that i also heard it gets very hot too hopefully sony fixed that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The processors and large screen in the PSP are the biggest drain on the battery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The processors and large screen in the PSP are the biggest drain on the battery.

Optical drives arn't known for their Green Party support either.

If the battery life issue turns out to be true then its ****ed. One Sony guy put it at 2 hours for any decent game. Nobody is going to want to buy movies/music on UMD either. Well find out next month what the real story is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Battery problems never stopped the iPod from selling :rolleyes:

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Battery problems never stopped the iPod from selling :rolleyes:

Proabably the worst comparison iv heard in along time... iPod's had a faulty batteries in some units. Definatly wasn't a launch problem let alone a prelaunch one. Battery life was an hour or two less then the max possible (mainly due to those time being calculated under apples ideal circumstances), big deal its an MP3 player. Also the iPod was the best disk based player for a good while (ie it had alot going for it).

PSP is a diferant ball game and 2 hours is going to be a major problem for alot of people if its true. Allthopugh iv seen at least one person say they dont care and they'll carry 3 spare batteries. Iv run down the battery on my GBA SP a few times playing Zelda Minish Cap for hours. Imagine people just getting in to a GTA game and it runs out... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Rew wrote:
    Proabably the worst comparison iv heard in along time...

Actually thats a great comparison.

ive heard 4-6 hours battery life, with (hopefully) 9-10 hours from playing mp3's. Going on past experience of sony batteries (camcorder) i'll believe them.

i'll be picking one up anyway, for about 200 euro i'd be a fool not too

Peteee wrote:
    Actually thats a great comparison.

ive heard 4-6 hours battery life, with (hopefully) 9-10 hours from playing mp3's. Going on past experience of sony batteries (camcorder) i'll believe them.

i'll be picking one up anyway, for about 200 euro i'd be a fool not too

LOL,

If I were you id put some googling time in. PSP aint no camcorder...

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=280472
    "A puzzle game will last longer, but Ridge Racer will probably be shorter than that," he told the site, referring to the battery life statistics released by SCE last week - which claimed four to six hours of battery while playing games.

The figures quoted by SCE rely on playing with headphones, without using the wireless multiplayer capabilities of the device, and with screen brightness set in a specific range - leading to widespread speculation that using the full power of the system will bring the battery life down closer to the originally rumoured two hour level

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Rew wrote:
    Proabably the worst comparison iv heard in along time... iPod's had a faulty batteries in some units. Definatly wasn't a launch problem let alone a prelaunch one. Battery life was an hour or two less then the max possible (mainly due to those time being calculated under apples ideal circumstances), big deal its an MP3 player. Also the iPod was the best disk based player for a good while (ie it had alot going for it).

Probably referring to the fact that consistantly throughout the IPods history (from launch to now), the competition have had 2x battery life and/or better battery options (removable).

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

Rew wrote:
    Ipod's never been the best disk based player.

Never.

Ave wrote:
    Ipod's never been the best disk based player.

Never.

Grand, start a thread on it and we can discuess it there.

Matt:

Still don't think you can compare but judgeing by some of the respones here I agree with you that it will probably sell anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57295

should be fun to watch the DS trounce this piece of crap :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sony keeps PSP production low, focuses on PS2
    http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5680

[Dam you Tman, I was slowly looking at more then a few windows I had opened]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Said with such elegance Tman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

tman wrote:
    should be fun to watch the DS trounce this piece of crap :)
    I've already started writing the screenplay, The Little Console That Could: The DS Story

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ummm i never said that, only that my experience with sony camcorder batteries (li-ion) is good, thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I don't think the PSP will go the way of the N-Gage purely because of the brand recognition Sony has. There's also a good possibility that they'll just pump a few billion into advertising and out sell the DS because of that.

Advertisement