Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary mathematics teachers...what's your view?

Options
  • 09-11-2015 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a little advice and I'd like to hear your views. First off just a little back ground information about me. I've a degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and have worked as a Design Engineer for almost 10 years. Back in early 2011 I decided to leave the profession and train as a Mathematics Teacher in the UK - main 2-reasons for change were interest in mathematics and the flexibility that the role would give in terms of where in the Country/World I could work. I'm at present into my 4th year of teaching Maths (11-18) and Mechanics and have to say I really enjoy teaching yet the amount of work outside of the classroom counter acts this, week evenings & one day of the weekend tend to be taken up with marking, planning, assessments, data collection etc.
    Anyway over the last year and a bit I've been planning on making a move back to Ireland, more specifically back to Mayo (for family and other commitments) and plan to do so in summer 2016. My main concern is getting a job in teaching, full-time looks near impossible, supply is about all that I see available. So my questions to all you teachers out there are as follows:

1) Have you moved from the UK to Ireland to teach?
    2) If so, how would you compare teaching roles?
    3) Based upon the limited jobs available and considering how the teaching role is changing would I be better off going back to my old profession?

Just one last point, I'm only qualified to teach Maths...haven't got a second subject unless you count Applied Maths as a second.
    Would appreciate your views and comments.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I feel you are in a good position being a maths teacher, however jobs at scarce in teaching in general in Mayo.

1. I haven't moved, but from others who I know that have, the only stumbling block is trying to get your teaching council documentation in. Maybe start that now
    2. Again from listening to others, it is a lot more relaxed in Ireland with less paperwork and maybe even more focus on the students learning. A teacher who is from English teaching maths with us said our system is much less work and student centred.
    3. Try get a teaching job first I think, especially if it's what you love

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MickMc78

Thanks for the input Shaungoater.
    In the process of registering with the teaching council at present so will see what comes from that and take it from there. I guess my biggest concern is hearing from others how long it takes to secure a permanent post...by the sounds of its being in the right place at the right time, a bit of luck and a having a few contacts helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

MickMc78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input Shaungoater.
    In the process of registering with the teaching council at present so will see what comes from that and take it from there. I guess my biggest concern is hearing from others how long it takes to secure a permanent post...by the sounds of its being in the right place at the right time, a bit of luck and a having a few contacts helps.

In my opinion, you will have the best of both worlds.

You have arguably got a better professional training in the UK and now you will leave all the ridiculous pressure of paperwork, targets and OFSTED for a teaching job at home.

A good teacher will always get work. Its a small world and your reputation wont be long in getting around.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

As kboc said, a good teacher will always find work. Maths teachers are in demand simply because all students study it. I think you should expect to find it hard to get your foot in the door. Once you do, a day's subbing for example, see it as your chance to make a strong impression. You can't beat calling to schools with your CV and asking to see the Principal or Deputy. Word will get round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Be aware of the jobs situation. It's not good even for a core subject like maths. Have you a second subject? You will struggle to get full time hours without one. Be prepared to travel for work and as the previous poster has said use any substitution you get as a chance to prove yourself

Edit: reread. You will find it hard to get full time with only one subject. I'm in a school of near 800 and only one teacher in the maths dept teaches solely maths (and she has all 6 years + LCA), the rest of us all teach our second subject and maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Really surprised by how positive some of the comments are.. it's not like the T&L forum at all.

I'm an Irish trained Maths teacher who moved back just over a year ago. I have a second subject that isn't in demand and I haven't taught it in years, but a willingness to teach CSPE and resource has improved my hours in some schools I have worked in.

The quality of life and pay is better. But I was not affected by new entrant cuts. If you haven't worked in the Irish system before this, your starting salary will be similar to England but you will be able to apply for incremental credit for years worked in England. Get those forms together and signed by your English school(s) before you move.

You will find it VERY difficult to get a job in Mayo. You wanted to know how long it will take to get a permanent job? .. I haven't a clue as I've been covering Maternity leaves since moving back and I've been lucky to get them. I've also been in a position to commute and move for work. RPT positions are like gold dust in any part of the country and that's not going to change. Notdarkyet is wrong to say that Maths teachers are in demand. It's definitely better than some subjects, but schools still have their choice of sub teachers.

I'm sorry to be brutally honest but this is the reality. I was aware of it when I moved and I haven't regretted my decision. Best of Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MickMc78

Great to hear your responses.
    Second subject is a worry alright. As mentioned would be very happy teaching Applied Maths but beyond that I've no other experience at present...could possibly go the Physics root.

Aunt Aggie - what do you mean by 'Get those forms signed before you move'...what forms are these?

Those of you who teach maths...what's your second subject?
    What's the breakdown of your hours between both subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Incremental credit forms. Your years teaching in England should count for credit and start you off on a higher point of the salary scale if you end up working in Ireland. Looking at the form below, there is also a possibility of getting credit for relevant non teaching experience. I assume that would be private sector employment before teaching. If you call up the department they should be able to give you some more information

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Payroll-Financial/Payroll-Documents-and-Forms/Incremental_Credit_App_Form.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm maths and music, it's what I qualified. Tbh I was a bit surprised at the early replies too. I'm in an urban area outskirts of Dublin and half our staff are part timers. On the new salary scales we have teachers leaving regularly because they can't afford to stay in the area. And that's in a growing population area which the west is not

Advertisement